Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:35:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ACAB at XR protest

Started by garbed_attic, September 02, 2020, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbed_attic

Barely any newspaper coverage (and the BBC report from Westminister last night was taken from round the back of the Houses of Parliament) but police at the XR protests today and yesterday definitely more physically violent than in October or April. My partner tried to help one young woman (maybe late teens or early 20s) who got tackled by police for trying to attach a bag to a rope to send up to a couple of the protestors up in a tree. They twisted her arms and hands and my partner reckons that one or more of her fingers would have been broken. People are filming and it has, at least, put an end to all the naieve/ misguided/ privileged "we love you" to police foolishness.

DrGreggles

XR cunts were vandalising Cambridge again last weekend.

idunnosomename

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 02, 2020, 09:58:57 PM
excellent news

chveik

Buelligan

Hopefully, soon, they'll put an end to it.  Then they can sort out Oxford.

Sebastian Cobb

Protesting now seems like a great way to get draconian counter-protest laws rammed through under corona legislation tbh. They've massively upped the penalties for organisers of free parties/raves in response to a few that have taken place, although mostly irresponsible organisers at a time like this means the public will be on side from all the shit they left behind alone.

jobotic

Bet they don't come down so hard on the far-right filth planning to "take Dover by force".

Good work gout_pony - thank you and stay safe.

Old Nehamkin

All the best to the protestors who I'm sure are mostly sound and obviously fuck off police, but I find it extremely hard to take the XR leadership seriously when they continue to put out gormless, fence-sitting shite like this:

https://twitter.com/XRebellionUK/status/1300794775138906114?s=19

Buelligan

It is pretty bad, mind, last April (during lockdown whilst Cummings was testing his eyes) they used chalk spray on the BP Institute to mark 10 years since the Deepwater Horizon spill.

Vandalism

Capitalism

https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/extinction-rebellion-protest-coronavirus-bp-18124471
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deepwater_Horizon_oil_spill

Sin Agog

Quote from: bgmnts on September 03, 2020, 12:12:12 PM
Sorry, why is anyone meant to care?

https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-crisis-ice-sheets-melting-global-warming-greenland-antarctic-a9699921.html

You know how our breath can magically warm our hands but also cool down soup depending on the occasion?  I'm sure we'd sort this problem out if we just got a bunch of people together to breathe on the ice caps.

idunnosomename

Cambridge is losing both its prets so its good as gone anyway

chveik

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 03, 2020, 09:17:05 AM
Protesting now seems like a great way to get draconian counter-protest laws rammed through under corona legislation tbh.

lol they would've made them anyway

Dog Botherer

finally, some good news

Shoulders?-Stomach!

'Heavy SCAT Category' does sound like an environmentally hazardous incident.

DrGreggles

BlodwynPig

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 03, 2020, 01:46:29 PM
What does that have to do with vanadalism and blocking roads to prevent people getting to a hospital?

No hospitals after tidal wave

jobotic

What does that have to do with vanadalism and blocking roads to prevent people getting to a hospital?

They did it to prevent people getting to a hospital? Well that is bad then.

bgmnts

Blocking hospital access is bad, yes. But a bit of vandalism who cares.

Buelligan

Quote from: jobotic on September 03, 2020, 02:05:26 PM
They did it to prevent people getting to a hospital? Well that is bad then.

They always do that though.  Haven't you noticed? 

Never an abattoir or a pedo-meeting house, just the hospitals they enjoy blocking. 

I bet they'd even do that if someone built a planet-hospital where the fucked planet could go to die in peace.

thenoise

Quote from: bgmnts on September 03, 2020, 03:18:56 PM
Blocking hospital access is bad, yes. But a bit of vandalism who cares.

What about vandalising hospitals?

Shit Good Nose

As some of you know I work in the energy industry on the public sector consumer side, so I know just how fucked the planet is and how little we're all doing to try and save it (I've also been banging on for literally years on here about the main elephant in the room - population - which will potentially do us in long before climate change will) so I'm all for these protests, but blocking emergency services is not okay in my book.  In one of the threads last year I mentioned a local story where a child died in an ambulance that was being blocked by protesters who laid down on the ground all around it, and they also prevented extra paramedic help from getting to that ambulance.  I can't remember exactly what the ailment was, but it was something that the child would probably have survived if they made it to the hospital.

"LOL, dead child, one less person to destroy the planet" were some of the obvious responses, and I acknowledge that it contradicts my own general view about the earth's population being out of control, but whatever - LOL, dead child, one less, etc.

bgmnts

I don't believe overpopulation is THE problem. It's a problem, sure. But when you have such massive disparities of consumption does it really matter how many people are on the earth?

Quote from: thenoise on September 04, 2020, 01:44:37 PM
What about vandalising hospitals?

Bit of graffiti is alright.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 04, 2020, 02:01:45 PM
I don't believe overpopulation is THE problem. It's a problem, sure. But when you have such massive disparities of consumption does it really matter how many people are on the earth?

We've been through this before - yes.  Once the earth's natural resources and the natural world are gone, they're gone, and when they're gone (or past the tipping point) we're fucked with absolutely no chance of return.  And if population growth continues to increase at its present level we will get to that point before we reach the climate change tipping point.  No redistribution of capital wealth or equalisation of consumption will resolve that.

Also, yes, population and climate change do go hand in hand as well - resource consumption - I've always acknowledged that.  But there's no point in trying to resolve climate change unless we do something about population as well.  It's a bit like putting in a brand new efficient condensing boiler in your house, but leaving the single glazed windows in place.

Bazooka

Quote from: bgmnts on September 04, 2020, 02:01:45 PM

Bit of graffiti is alright.

China consumes more non-renewable fuel and non-recycable materials( that latter is an assumption but having lived there I'm pretty certain)than other nations, alongside India and the US for fuels, so it's impossible not to see the correlation.