Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:16:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ACAB at XR protest

Started by garbed_attic, September 02, 2020, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

royce coolidge

Quote from: bgmnts on September 08, 2020, 04:34:56 PM
Surely its easier to curb the instinct of "material desire" than it is to curb the instinct to breed?

Yes I agree to a point,but material desire is an extremely strong thing, and I think it would take decades of education or a new world philosophy to change that.
And I'm not sure at all that we have Decades left.

Zetetic

What's your suggestion, royce?

Is it available at ScrewFix[nb]If you think this is a pun, you're a piece of shit.[/nb]?

royce coolidge

Quote from: Zetetic on September 08, 2020, 04:57:22 PM
What's your suggestion, royce?

Is it available at ScrewFix[nb]If you think this is a pun, you're a piece of shit.[/nb]?

I have no solutions,I'm a badly depressed nobody,just sharing an opinion,ok ?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: royce coolidge on September 08, 2020, 04:55:38 PM

Absolute best case we have 30 years to do a lot of major-major things.  But the reality is more likely 20 years.  Which isn't much time to stop doing and start doing what we need to. 

Dusty Substance

Quote from: royce coolidge on September 08, 2020, 04:27:53 PM
so better 1 billion than 10 billion.
Fwiw i think we're fucked in the long run (50 years)?

Yes. Again, common sense says less people leads to less planet destruction.

I think more like 100-200 years, so long after we're all dead.

Quote from: royce coolidge on September 08, 2020, 05:00:28 PM
I have no solutions,I'm a badly depressed nobody,just sharing an opinion,ok ?

Mate, sorry to hear of your depression. It's shit.

Buelligan

Quote from: royce coolidge on September 08, 2020, 04:55:38 PM
Yes I agree to a point,but material desire is an extremely strong thing, and I think it would take decades of education or a new world philosophy to change that.

I'm not sure about that.  Fashion is fickle as fuck.  Just look at people who got tattoo sleeves or turned their tender earlobes into stinking string.  Making diamonds and Louboutins, jet-setting and performative consumption as obviously ugly as Elliot Rodger's inner life is only a matter of will.  We just need to start saying how boring and shit those choices actually are.  Openly saying it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 08, 2020, 05:06:44 PM
I think more like 100-200 years, so long after we're all dead.

Good luck with that.  Even the most extreme results of climate change will hit us before your lowest guess.

royce coolidge

Quote from: Buelligan on September 08, 2020, 05:07:28 PM
I'm not sure about that.  Fashion is fickle as fuck.  Just look at people who got tattoo sleeves or turned their tender earlobes into stinking string.  Making diamonds and Louboutins, jet-setting and performative consumption as obviously ugly as Elliot Rodger's inner life is only a matter of will.  We just need to start saying how boring and shit those choices actually are.  Openly saying it.

I get what you're saying Buelligan,but wealth and material acquisition has dominated mankind for
just about forever,usually achieved by the strongest and most brutal,and I can't see that change before it's too late.
But I do think rather blackly about things.

Buelligan

Don't think blackly royce.  I hate to think of you thinking blackly.  Things can be made better, we have to keep on.  Water cuts stone old fellow, water cuts right through a fucking mountain.

Uncle TechTip

Well they should bloody well get on and do it. I've made my contribution this year by slashing my car use by about 80%, and I've not taken a flight. When will THEY do something?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 08, 2020, 05:27:01 PM
Well they should bloody well get on and do it. I've made my contribution this year by slashing my car use by about 80%, and I've not taken a flight. When will THEY do something?

I've started collecting my own farts in sealed glass jars.  Remember that huge dip in CO2 back in June?  Fuck all to do with covid that.

YOU'RE WELCOME

royce coolidge

Quote from: Buelligan on September 08, 2020, 05:21:05 PM
Don't think blackly royce.  I hate to think of you thinking blackly.  Things can be made better, we have to keep on.  Water cuts stone old fellow, water cuts right through a fucking mountain.

Cheers Buelligan,personality disorder innit,world needs more of you and less of me ;).

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 08, 2020, 05:27:01 PM

I could probably do more to save the planet but here are a few of my contributions....

I've never driven a car and never will.
I've never had kids and never will.
I've been a pretty militant recycler for 30 years.
I've been a vegan for six years.
I've never used Amazon.
I've never been on a plane - I'd like to one day but crippling anxiety has prevented it thus far.
I buy as much stuff second hand stuff as possible.
I very rarely cheap crap from places like Sports Direct, Primark etc.

Buelligan

Quote from: royce coolidge on September 08, 2020, 05:40:09 PM
Cheers Buelligan,personality disorder innit,world needs more of you and less of me ;).

Needs all of us to get there or it won't be any fun. 

Bazooka

Quote from: Dusty Substance on September 08, 2020, 05:40:41 PM

I've been a vegan for six years.
I've never used Amazon.

You use the Amazon everyday when you blow it up for your personal soy plantation, you beast!

Dusty Substance

touchingcloth

Anuses, cloacas, arses, bollocks?

Sebastian Cobb

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 08, 2020, 06:22:20 PM
Everybody talk about pop muzik

CUNT!  I was just coming in to post that.

Dusty Substance

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 08, 2020, 03:44:54 PM
Start here and work your way through - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6uBOnKQGJo, https://www.overpopulationawareness.org/en/articles/sustainability-and-population-growth-as-a-global-problem  These are just the first two I found.  There are numerous others.

Also, I meant to put "prove" in speech marks.  That was my error.  I'M SORRY.

Wow! Not seen that video before. What a great speech from Attenborough. Informed, articulate and honest. So glad someone's actually brave enough to say it.

The overpopulation argument is great because it actually solves every problem in the world. There wouldn't be racism in police forces if there were only 117 people left on the planet. We wouldn't need to wear masks in 35° heat if the nearest person was 200km away. I wouldn't be worried about losing my job because I'd be the only qualified person in my field on Earth. That is watertight autistic logic

Buelligan

Thank you for making me laugh before sleep.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Poisson Du Jour on September 08, 2020, 11:15:40 PM
The overpopulation argument is great because it actually solves every problem in the world. There wouldn't be racism in police forces if there were only 117 people left on the planet. We wouldn't need to wear masks in 35° heat if the nearest person was 200km away. I wouldn't be worried about losing my job because I'd be the only qualified person in my field on Earth. That is watertight autistic logic

Yeah, but every silver lining - only one working toilet.  And it's an old school outside one.

Billy Casper

I've been lurking this forum for several years and only recently registered but this is my first post. I prefer to read rather than engage however I've been following this thread and other extinction rebellion threads with interest

Shit good nose, regarding the child dying in the ambulance I think you have mixed up two separate incidents that happened on the same day during last summer's protest. I work for Bristol council and was there on the day in question. Whilst a child, who was either hit by a car or was involved in a car accident depending on who you talked to, did die in an ambulance and that ambulance was held up in traffic caused by the protest, it was not stopped by the protestors and the child's injuries were apparently so bad that even if the ambulance made it to the hospital in record time the child would still have died. The other incident I think you're mixing up is where protestors did lie down in front of an ambulance (not all around it), however the paramedics were either on a break or were just waiting for the next call, I forget which. You're right that the child dying in the ambulance was only reported locally and only briefly but you're wrong about the reason why. The "blocked" ambulance made national news but had nothing to do with the dead child. A photo of this second incident went around local community social media which soon catastrophised it as being an on duty ambulance specifically targeted by protestors, which it wasn't. You are correct about the man who got into an altercation with protestors who stopped him from (so he claimed) from seeing his dying mother and she did die whilst he was trying to get through. BBC Points West interviewed one of the protest organisers that evening who was apologetic but put it in the context of the bigger picture.

Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I think you unintentionally got those two incidents muddled and were later influenced by the photo going round on local social media. You may well have also forgotten some of the detail in the intervening period.

Maybe in future don't go making potentially inflammatory posts like that unless you can back them up.

Sin Agog

I don't buy this. Billy Casper has made one post, all about ambulances and children. I think he's hoping to get noncy sepsis stories he can wank over. There are hundreds of more appropriate ways to show support for XR, in the unlikely event this is real, than post on a comedy forum he hardly uses.

Please think carefully about replying to his post.

Sin Agog

(I've got no mettle. That's just me making a lame forum in-joke, Billy. Great post!)

Billy Casper

It's okay Sin Agog, I've been lurking for years so I actually get your joke. I am also aware that shit good nose is often bothered by all the paedophile talk. I agree with him on that one.

For info I am a she not a he.

BlodwynPig

Paul Calf

Quote from: Billy Casper on September 09, 2020, 02:18:38 AM
It's okay Sin Agog, I've been lurking for years so I actually get your joke. I am also aware that shit good nose is often bothered by all the paedophile talk. I agree with him on that one.

For info I am a she not a he.

I'm very pleased that you have got down from the goalpost.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Billy Casper on September 09, 2020, 02:18:38 AM
I am also aware that shit good nose is often bothered by all the paedophile talk.

"talk"???  It's bordering on unhealthy obsession mate!!

But yes, I will hold up my hands and accept all that - I clearly got things confused.  I'm sorry everyone for misleading you, but as BC says it was not intentional, I promise.  I just had (or thought I had) a VERY clear picture in my head of what went down, but was obviously off the mark.

I hope you've managed to find a new winged friend to impress your teacher with.