Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:30:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

ACAB at XR protest

Started by garbed_attic, September 02, 2020, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jobotic

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 04, 2020, 01:58:36 PM
As some of you know I work in the energy industry on the public sector consumer side, so I know just how fucked the planet is and how little we're all doing to try and save it (I've also been banging on for literally years on here about the main elephant in the room - population - which will potentially do us in long before climate change will) so I'm all for these protests, but blocking emergency services is not okay in my book.  In one of the threads last year I mentioned a local story where a child died in an ambulance that was being blocked by protesters who laid down on the ground all around it, and they also prevented extra paramedic help from getting to that ambulance.  I can't remember exactly what the ailment was, but it was something that the child would probably have survived if they made it to the hospital.

"LOL, dead child, one less person to destroy the planet" were some of the obvious responses, and I acknowledge that it contradicts my own general view about the earth's population being out of control, but whatever - LOL, dead child, one less, etc.

That's horrific. Have you a source?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: jobotic on September 04, 2020, 02:47:00 PM
That's horrific. Have you a source?

It made local print news and was obviously all over local Facebook and WhatsApp groups, but I can't remember if I originally provided an actual source (I can't find the post now), but it didn't get a look-in on major TV news media as on the same day it was overshadowed (locally and nationally) by another Bristol XR thing (which I also mentioned and which also had much the same response on here), except this time it was the son of a man/woman who was going to see his parent (already in hospital) but XR stopped him from going in and the parent died before he got to see them.  The guy got into a fight with some XR people (and was arrested if memory serves) and was then going to sue them or something.  That seemed to be the bigger story of the two for whatever reason (possibly because TV cameras were there for that one and caught the whole lot as it went down, including the guy being told on his phone that his parent had died).

I don't know what happened with either one of those stories - whether XR were held to account at all - and I don't know what the legal ramifications of them were/are, if any.  I mean obviously XR didn't set out to cause someone's death or prevent someone from seeing their dying parent, those events were just collateral damage (but without Arnie to save the day) for a longer term and much bigger goal, if you will. 

Buelligan

Quote from: Bazooka on September 04, 2020, 02:16:24 PM
China consumes more non-renewable fuel and non-recycable materials( that latter is an assumption but having lived there I'm pretty certain)than other nations, alongside India and the US for fuels, so it's impossible not to see the correlation.

What about the correlation between wealth and birth rate?

On the Bristol XR story, there's bound to be a reliable record of an event like that, what hospital did it take place near or what road was it on?  When did it happen?  That needs tracking down.

Goldentony

everyone in cambridge is a twat, sorry

Marner and Me

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 04, 2020, 01:58:36 PM
As some of you know I work in the energy industry on the public sector consumer side, so I know just how fucked the planet is and how little we're all doing to try and save it (I've also been banging on for literally years on here about the main elephant in the room - population - which will potentially do us in long before climate change will) so I'm all for these protests, but blocking emergency services is not okay in my book.  In one of the threads last year I mentioned a local story where a child died in an ambulance that was being blocked by protesters who laid down on the ground all around it, and they also prevented extra paramedic help from getting to that ambulance.  I can't remember exactly what the ailment was, but it was something that the child would probably have survived if they made it to the hospital.

"LOL, dead child, one less person to destroy the planet" were some of the obvious responses, and I acknowledge that it contradicts my own general view about the earth's population being out of control, but whatever - LOL, dead child, one less, etc.
The paramedics should have run these bastards over.

jobotic

Quote from: Buelligan on September 04, 2020, 03:25:14 PM
What about the correlation between wealth and birth rate?

On the Bristol XR story, there's bound to be a reliable record of an event like that, what hospital did it take place near or what road was it on?  When did it happen?  That needs tracking down.

Quotea child died in an ambulance that was being blocked by protesters who laid down on the ground all around it, and they also prevented extra paramedic help from getting to that ambulance.

I mean, that would be big news.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Goldentony on September 04, 2020, 03:50:02 PM
everyone in cambridge is a twat, sorry

I've met several people from Cambridge and they were down to earth and surprisingly, etc etc.

My sister went to uni in Cambridge.  People always look impressed when I say that, and then I give it a few beats before saying "Anglia polytechnic".

Quote from: Marner and Me on September 04, 2020, 03:52:51 PM
The paramedics should have run these bastards over.

Well, yeah.  I don't think there were any winners there.

Quote from: jobotic on September 04, 2020, 03:53:48 PM
I mean, that would be big news.

Trying to find it online, but everything's just pointing to the four day one last week.

chveik

Quote from: Buelligan on September 04, 2020, 03:25:14 PM

quite.

I do remember the original thread unfortunately. those stories about 'blocking hospitals' always come up when there are protests happening, and most of the time people are just making shit up because they were mildly inconvenient for them.

preventing an ambulance to go through is a criminal act and given that they could have used the story to go after environmental activists in general, the media would have been all over it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: chveik on September 04, 2020, 03:58:32 PM
I do remember the original thread unfortunately. those stories about 'blocking hospitals' always come up when there are protests happening, and most of the time people are just making shit up because they were mildly inconvenient for them.

They didn't block the hospitals in Bristol (I can't speak for others), they blocked all of the roads leading to them.  Unfortunately, in the case of the Bristol Royal Infirmary, there's only three roads to get to it, all three of which were blocked by tens of, if not hundreds of people deep.  The other main Bristol hospitals were easier to get to so, if IIRC, most incoming patients were diverted to them.

Tony Tony Tony

Over population on the planet?

Where's a global pandemic when you need one?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 04, 2020, 04:06:36 PM
Over population on the planet?

Where's a global pandemic when you need one?

Nah man, we need something WAY more aggressive than the sniffles.  It's got to be something that will clear hundreds of millions of people in a very short space of time.

Buelligan

quite.

preventing an ambulance to go through is a criminal act and given that they could have used the story to go after environmental activists in general, the media would have been all over it.

I agree.  It needs pinning down.  A good start would be, as I said, to know when it happened and where.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 04, 2020, 04:08:53 PM
Nah man, we need something WAY more aggressive than the sniffles.  It's got to be something that will clear hundreds of millions of people in a very short space of time.

Manifesto 62

Shit Good Nose

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 04, 2020, 05:13:23 PM
Was the method of execution ever decided?

Depends on the package you signed up and paid for.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 04, 2020, 05:41:02 PM
Depends on the package you signed up and paid for.

I didn't sign or pay, so I'm assuming the cheapest one.  Asphyxiwank?  Coming and going at the same time, etc.

Goldentony

took a look at google earth and sorry but cambridge is definitely full of fucking cunts

DrGreggles

I was working at one of those hospitals last year, so know exactly the effect it had.
What's your expert knowledge on the matter?

chveik

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 04, 2020, 07:51:18 PM

I don't need any. there is a lot misinformation out there so I'm just suspicious of claims without sources

DrGreggles

Quote from: chveik on September 04, 2020, 08:02:13 PM
I don't need any. there is a lot misinformation out there so I'm just suspicious of claims without sources

Such as:

Quote from: chveikmost of the time people are just making shit up

jobotic

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 04, 2020, 07:51:18 PM
I was working at one of those hospitals last year, so know exactly the effect it had.

People were surrounding the hospital to stop people receiving treatment and stopping paramedics attending to dying children? As part of a climate change protest? Extraordinary.

Are there really no sources for any of this anywhere?

chveik

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 04, 2020, 08:20:13 PM
Such as:

I assume you haven't experienced the last XR thread. but that's hardly my fault.

DrGreggles

Well, you "don't need any" knowledge on the matter, so there's no point trying to give you any facts.

Still, trying to inform anyone who classes operations being postponed at the last minute as "mildly inconvenient" is probably a waste of time.

chveik

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 04, 2020, 08:53:26 PM
Well, you "don't need any" knowledge on the matter, so there's no point trying to give you any facts.

Still, trying to inform anyone who classes operations being postponed at the last minute as "mildly inconvenient" is probably a waste of time.

that's not what I said though. fine if you don't want to provide me any facts but I'm not the only one asking for them

bgmnts

Quote from: bgmnts on September 04, 2020, 07:55:19 PM
What exactly happened?

Has anyone got any links to this? I'd be interested to see if this happened.

Buelligan

Yep, me too, I've been waiting all evening to find out what actually happened.

On the inconvenient thing, is it inconvenient for your land to dry and have no food or water to drink?  Is it inconvenient for the land you live on to be underwater?  Is skin cancer inconvenient? I suppose it all depends on our tolerance levels and how much we're prepared to put up with.

Zetetic

I am a hospital, and a vanandalised one at that.

Buelligan

Or are you a rather tiddly hospital up late on a Friday?  Hmmm?  Ask yourself that in the morning and don't pay the outrageous parking either, you're the hospital, you can park where you fucking like.  Alright?