Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:09:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ACAB at XR protest

Started by garbed_attic, September 02, 2020, 09:44:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Garam

Quote from: Buelligan on September 04, 2020, 11:55:37 PM
On the inconvenient thing, is it inconvenient for your land to dry and have no food or water to drink?  Is it inconvenient for the land you live on to be underwater?  Is skin cancer inconvenient? I suppose it all depends on our tolerance levels and how much we're prepared to put up with.

Being this condescending doesn't reverse climate change, it just makes you come across as an enormous tool

Buelligan

Sorry for being an enormous tool.  Thing is, I'm such an enormous one that I don't understand why it's condescending.  True, completely true.  Would you be good enough to explain, so's I can make sure I don't upset you again?  Thanks in advance.

Garam

I mean, just be less overwhelmingly condescending? you can start by having some self-awareness, perhaps that would help

Buelligan

That's what I'm asking.  Asking what is condescending about what I said.  If you'd explain, that would help me to avoid it in future.  Thanks.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Garam on September 05, 2020, 12:27:42 AM
I mean, just be less overwhelmingly condescending? you can start by having some self-awareness, perhaps that would help

Why was she being condescending. I think climate distastes transcends your personal opinion.

garbed_attic

What do you all make of XR protestors blocking roads to printing presses, delaying Murdock owned papers from getting in the shops? The Sun says that there is fury from the public from this attack on press freedom.

Quote from: gout_pony on September 05, 2020, 09:21:30 AM
What do you all make of XR protestors blocking roads to printing presses, delaying Murdock owned papers from getting in the shops? The Sun says that there is fury from the public from this attack on press freedom.

Best thing they've done so far.

jobotic

Garam

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 05, 2020, 08:18:00 AM
Why was she being condescending. I think climate distastes transcends your personal opinion.

you fly back between Canada and the UK on a semi-regular basis

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Garam on September 05, 2020, 09:39:21 AM

you fly back between Canada and the UK on a semi-regular basis

Go North.

Pick up twit.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Love it.

Can see no fury, only cheering and cries of MORE, MORE, MORE!

Sebastian Cobb

Priti Patel calling it an attack on our free press, lol.

Buelligan

The attack on the free press happens every time a paper sells to someone like Murdoch.

pigamus

Now that I like. The killing children bit I'm less keen on.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: pigamus on September 05, 2020, 10:25:47 AM

Now that I like. The killing children bit I'm less keen on.

You what? citation needed

Buelligan

Yep, we desperately need that source.  I have combed google with keywords like Bristol ambulance child died XR hospital and come up dry as a Lynxman.  Frankly, I'm beginning to consider it may be something put about on FB to frighten the horses.  But who would make something like that up?  Not the people running this ballroom, I'm sure.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on September 05, 2020, 10:23:44 AM
The attack on the free press happens every time a paper sells to someone like Murdoch.

Has there ever been a home secretary that actually wanted a free press? New Labour's history with this ain't much better.

Buelligan

I absolutely agree.  What politician actively wants people to have access to the unbiased truth?  Show me that person and I'll believe they're the best Prime Minister Britain never had.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Buelligan on September 05, 2020, 10:30:12 AM
Yep, we desperately need that source.  I have combed google with keywords like Bristol ambulance child died XR hospital and come up dry as a Lynxman.  Frankly, I'm beginning to consider it may be something put about on FB to frighten the horses.  But who would make something like that up?  Not the people running this ballroom, I'm sure.

Don't know about Bristol, but this was the first result for xr cambridge ambulance:
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/extinction-rebellion-cambridge-blockade-roadblock-17761002

jobotic

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 05, 2020, 10:26:24 AM
You what? citation needed

We're not getting one. Which is amazing seeing as they deliberately stopped and ambulance with a dying child inside get to hospital and then actively prevented paramedics from treating that child. Apparently.

Patel calls the Murdoch action an attack on democracy as her boss dismantles the same in order to enrich him and his friends.

Zetetic

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 05, 2020, 10:42:46 AM
Don't know about Bristol, but this was the first result for xr cambridge ambulance:
https://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/extinction-rebellion-cambridge-blockade-roadblock-17761002
Which seems to suggest that it's not a problem in Cambridge at least.

Headline is a bit odd:
"Ambulances are going to re-route their entire journeys"

Presumably not their entire journeys. The bit around the roadblock, and only then when they're involved in non-emergency transport.

DrGreggles

Flouncer

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 05, 2020, 10:42:46 AM

That's just saying that they're going to re-route journeys around a road block, and XR are saying they would let an ambulance through it anyway. If there's any evidence that someone has died as a result of these protests I'd be interested to see it. SGN's story sounds so appalling, I would have thought the right wing media would be all over it like a rash - they love painting protestors in a bad light and 'Climate Change Protestors Kill a Kiddy' is exactly the sort of thing to whip their readers up into a frenzy.

Buelligan

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 05, 2020, 10:50:40 AM
Why is that not a problem?

Surely we need some balance and perspective about this - otherwise, why not just ban all traffic from any road that might impede an ambulance.  We don't do that because we recognise that there is not ever just one priority. 

Zetetic

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 05, 2020, 10:50:40 AM
Why is that not a problem?
At the very least "ambulances in non-critical situation undertake minor detour" seems less of a problem than "avoidable death of child".

Zetetic

Of course, Daniel Baker routinely blocks access to A&Es with his vast quantities of chimp imagery, but the silence on that is deafening.

Google it, if you don't believe me.

Buelligan

Don't worry, I've seen it and yet, when people brought this up before, they were treated as if they'd just said that we should try not to destroy our own home planet.  I'm not even lying.

DrGreggles

Quote from: Flouncer on September 05, 2020, 10:50:48 AM
That's just saying that they're going to re-route journeys around a road block

Why should they have to? The reason they would take that route in the first place is that it's the quickest and most direct way to the hospital.
Also longer journeys use more fuel. Why would they want all those vehicles to use more fuel?

Quoteand XR are saying they would let an ambulance through it anyway.

But they didn't - it's in the article, and they absolved themselves of any responsibility.
Plus no consideration was given to doctors, patients, medical staff or anyone else.

So, as I asked before, how does blocking roads and vandalism help save the planet?
Almost as if they're only interested in disruption and vandalism...

Zetetic

I think if I were only interested in disruption and vandalism, I might do something other than setup a mildly inconvenient roadblock and then allow emergency vehicles through it.