Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 10:46:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

I fucking love the Tindersticks

Started by Dr Syntax Head, September 02, 2020, 11:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Syntax Head

I remember back in the 90s when I obsessively read NME and Melody Maker these guys would turn up quite a bit. I heard one or two songs on late night radio but I was deep in my grunge heavy guitar obsession so they held not interest for me. Recently I've become totally obsessed with this band. The first few albums just really get to me. Best enjoyed getting drunk on red wine and lamenting lost loves or whatever. Anyway this song I cannot turn off. The strings and organs (simply wonderful Fender Rhodes magic) almost have a Curtis Mayfield thing going on. Love love Love this band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuYdeNZuGFI

sweeper

Their newer stuff is pretty great as well, particularly last year's No Treasure But Hope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjkt1EI5Gsg

Live at Bloomsbury Theatre remains one of the great albums of the 90s.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: sweeper on September 03, 2020, 09:28:25 AM
Live at Bloomsbury Theatre remains one of the great albums of the 90s.

It's wonderful. I first encountered it as a bonus disc with the 2nd album reissue, but had to seek out an original 10" copy when I found out 'My Sister' was only available on that version. Worth it. The version of 'For Those...' at the end is gorgeous.

I adore the first two albums, but never got into Curtains, maybe that's due a revisit on a gloomy morning like this.

sweeper

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on September 03, 2020, 09:46:46 AM
I adore the first two albums, but never got into Curtains, maybe that's due a revisit on a gloomy morning like this.

It's patchy, and should have been slimmed down, the little fragments of songs don't work so well on this one. But Another Night In, Rented Rooms, Don't Look Down, Desperate Man, Buried Bones, Tonight, and Bathtime are among their best.

Buried Bones may actually be my favourite Tinders tune. 

Crabwalk

I award them 'Best British band of the 90s'. Please come to the stage and collect your Golden Ashtray boys.

The first two tindersticks albums and Simple Pleasure are pretty much perfect, and stand apart from anything else going on during the era. As mentioned, Curtains is patchier, but the peaks in 'Rented Rooms', 'Bathtime' and others mentioned above are as high as before.

I don't think it was entirely healthy to be obsessed with them in my mid-teens, when those first records came out. They painted a world of sordid darkness and faded decadence that my adulthood could never match up to. Most of the gloom and regret was delivered, mind.

When they return to the stage, Dr Syntax Head, do try and see them. Their latest incarnation is still absolutely incredible, even if they did lose some of their transcendent beauty when Dickon Hinchliffe left, along with his divine string arrangements.

Lordofthefiles

Yeah, the first two albums are class.
I missed them in the 90's like yourself, must've read the name a thousand times in review sections, etc, but never bought their stuff.

Eventually got into them and loved them immediately.
They do something no one else does musically and the voice and lyrics of SS are sublime.

I've rained down hyperbole on My Sister in threads before (I think it's wonderful), but of all their tunes, the one thing I don't understand is why City Sickness has never been used in a shitty American film as a character walks through New York with a montage of happier times cutting in and out, forlorn and broken by loss of a lover (probably Jennifer Anniston).

...don't worry she's waiting at his door when his crosstown trundle finishes.
They fall into each other's arms and live happily ever after.

I mean, I don't want it to be used.
It just should have been.
I mean it shouldn't, but it's ripe for cynical Hollywood application.

Maybe the film is actually called City Sickness even, maybe!

Dr Rock

Quote from: City SicknessI have these hands beating with love for you
And you're not here to touch
Sent you away, what else can I do
When I need something that much?

Crabwalk

'Tiny Tears' was used to brilliant effect in The Sopranos. Possibly the biggest cheque the band ever received, I suspect.

sardines

I remember buying Bathtime  at Woolworths on a 'meet the new fella' day out to the amusements with my mother and her new partner.

Made for an awkward ride home.

jobotic

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 03, 2020, 05:27:36 PM

Those lyrics go through my head so often

Either they make me want to weep or do a funny impression depending on my mood.

badaids

Just the best band ever.

Was there at Her Majesty's Theatre in the 90s to see the 2nd album played with full orchestra.  I was sat between the drummer from Gene (in that fucking hat) and Skin from Skunk Anansie. The conductress was this gorgeous tall blond lady, who threw the finished pages of score over her shoulder, so you had Stuart there with his fag and wine, dishevelled under the spotlight and enveloped in smoke, with these sheets of music floating down around him.   It's sad that I'll never see a gig like that again - electrifying, astonishing. 

Was there at Bloomsbury too, sat next to Sean Hughes for that one.  'For those' was just brilliant, spine tingling. Genuinely one of my favorite ever memories.  The rumour was that it they lost 3 grand a show for those big theatres ones.

Then I saw them tour Curtains - it might actually be my favorite record of theirs, though it's essentially another go at the second record - with Strangelove supporting.  First time I saw them with no orchestra and was disappointed; that's how spoiled we were up to that point.  But by that time, the Vic Reeves club singer thing had done for the band on the small amount of TV time they got.

Saw them do a secret gig somewhere I forget, tiny place just the 6 of them on tiny stage.  Supported by Quickspace Supersport.  We gave Stuart some Flowers "I've never been given flowers by a young man before" he drawled.  We gave the bassist cigs between songs.

I last saw them in Paris in 2010 the day after the election.  I called out to Stuart and asked if he would be our Prime Minister "I don't think I'd do a very good job" he replied.

Their last half decent record was falling down a mountain, and they'll never be as good as they were for the first 3 records, because they were the best band that has ever been then.  I'll always buy their records because I love them so, even though I listen to them once and it often feels a chore.  That first line up was their best by far - what I wouldn't give to see them tour with an orchestra again.  I can't get used to the fact that the current bassist was in fucking Kula Shaker.

My pals and I regularly used to write to them, in the days where they put the cards with the address that you could write to the band in the 7 inch singles.  One of them would always reply, hand written.  I wish I knew where those letters were now.  I have one I think in my copy of the 2nd record.

I want everyone to love this band (and them to get some money) but I also want no-one to know about them so I can keep them for myself.

holyzombiejesus

Agree with the 'first three albums are untouchable' stuff. They should be so much more revered. I was living in a damp bedsit when the first one came out and can still smell the place when I listen to the record. Liked the latest but they're a bit slight nowadays. I've not checked the songwriting credits (if there are any) but aren't they basically a Stuart Staples solo project with the 2 remaining members just acting as glorified session musicians nowadays? Should probably check out the SS solo records again at some stage, don't think I played them more than once.

I remember their gigs always being eventful. Once when they had the Pastels supporting, I bumped in to my recently split-from ex and she kissed a boy in front of me and he was shit and wore white socks and lipstick and supported Manchester United even though he was a southerner. The next time, I got beat up by bouncers because I was obnoxious and had confided in a friend that I loved her and she told me she loved me too but wouldn't leave her boyfriend so I got leathered in the afternoon and then rolled up at the gig shit faced and hit the bouncers car with my had on the way to the venue.

If people haven't heard it, Dickon Hinchliffe's soundtrack for Leave No Trace is well worth a listen. I really wish it would get a release on vinyl (along with the 'new' Kendra Smith song that plays over the end credits).

Puce Moment

I have such a long and involved history with this band. I saw them for the first time in Wolverhampton in, I think, 1994 by which time they were well established. It was a large, half full venue with a really lacklustre crowd. I was pretty devestated as I had a long and very profound desire to see them live. Having seen them a good few times since I can tell they were having a bad night.

The first two albums are perfect - the next two great - fantastic. Yes, I suppose it is diminishing returns but I enjoy listening to everything they put out in a way where I don't unhealthily compare it to those first two.

The Bloomsbury Theatre live double 10" is up there as one of the most played records in my collection.

The last time I saw them live in London I loved it, but that gig in 2008 at the RFH in London had me like a pig in shit. Orchestrra, Terry Edwards and the band!

Puce Moment

Quote from: Lordofthefiles on September 03, 2020, 05:25:24 PMI've rained down hyperbole on My Sister in threads before (I think it's wonderful), but of all their tunes, the one thing I don't understand is why City Sickness has never been used in a shitty American film as a character walks through New York with a montage of happier times cutting in and out, forlorn and broken by loss of a lover (probably Jennifer Anniston).

Probably too many references to onanism in the lyrics.

Am I correct that the CD version of the Bloomsbury gig does not have My Sister on it? I ask because I downloaded it and it was missing. Had to digitally insert it on iTunes!

Crabwalk

I don't think it is, and it's not on the version included in the 2-CD reissue of the second album either.

I was at that RFH show in 2008 too and it really was joyous. Edwards is a regular in their live incarnation still. What a legend he is.

holyzombiejesus

I know it isn't because I purposely went on a train journey today so I could listen to it on my ipod and the fucker isn't there.

Puce Moment

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 05, 2020, 08:18:24 PM
I don't think it is, and it's not on the version included in the 2-CD reissue of the second album either.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 05, 2020, 08:19:44 PM
I know it isn't because I purposely went on a train journey today so I could listen to it on my ipod and the fucker isn't there.

Thought so. I must have downloaded a copy of a vinyl grab because it is notably completely different quality to the rest of the album. Does anyone have a good quality MP3 of My Sister from the Bloomsbury gig? Would be nice to insert a more appropriate version.

QuoteI was at that RFH show in 2008 too and it really was joyous. Edwards is a regular in their live incarnation still. What a legend he is.

I was in the right hand stalls looking over the stage and I don't think I moved in my seat at all. Transfixed the whole time. I was sitting just next to Terry who I semi-know so that was nice as he smiled and my wife and I (my wife used to do media publicity for Gallon Drunk back in the day). He played the final note of the night on the xylophone - I remember it incredibly well.

jobotic

I've got the CD upstairs somewhere, I'll have a look.

Did any of you see them at an all-nighter at the Scala in 1992 with Stereolab and friends and a showing of the film Loveless? I mean I'm sure they were there but I don't really remember them. Be and my legendary then girlfriend were big Lab fans and I remember their set well (it was ace) and I remember passing out and then being woken up by a piercing noise that one of Hair & Skin Trading Company was making but not much else. I'm not pleased with myself for seeing them and forgetting it.

DrGreggles

jobotic

I haven't even got Bloomsbury, I've got Amsterdam.

sweeper

There's this 2001 Lisbon live album I discovered recently. It has this 8 minute version of Raindrops which is more or less just strings, guitar distortion, and piano. It's almost unbearably intense.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, they seem to issue quite a few live albums through their webshop/ at gigs. I've never bothered as I don't have a CD player but might download a few. Any particular ones worth getting?

Dr Syntax Head

sweeper

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 06, 2020, 11:01:35 AM
Any particular ones worth getting?

The Lisbon one, just for its stripped back approach. It works really well for things like Running Wild and Buried Bones. They finish on Cherry Blossoms, just to send the crowd skipping gaily into the night.

There's a nice Paris one too, which is on Spotify and so forth.

holyzombiejesus

My god, that version of Raindrops is incredible.

I'm going to try and relisten to all the post Simple Pleasure albums as I never really gave them much of a chance. There's a good interview with David Boulter here where he talks about and rates all the albums up to The Something Rain.  Anyone got links to any other good interviews?

Dr Marbles

Quote from: sweeper on September 06, 2020, 03:53:33 PM
The Lisbon one, just for its stripped back approach. It works really well for things like Running Wild and Buried Bones. They finish on Cherry Blossoms, just to send the crowd skipping gaily into the night.

There's a nice Paris one too, which is on Spotify and so forth.

I think the Lisbon one was the one from the tour where the drummer got sick or injured or something just before the start and instead of cancelling they decided to just plough on without him - made for a wonderfully different sound.

Put me down as another 'best ever band' fanboy. Just a couple of weeks ago I was trying to remember all the times I'd seen them and hidden within my Ticketmaster booking history I found tickets for a Tindersticks gig in Hyde Park in July 2009 - a gig I have zero memory of whatsoever. The following night there were tickets for Bon Iver - again, I have no memory of ever seeing that band.

Did these gigs actually happen, were they cancelled, or did I have my memory wiped? Were any of you lot at that Tindersticks gig?

Crabwalk

I was there! It was in the second tent behind the main Hyde Park stage as a midweek event.

I don't remember the Tindersticks performance being particularly memorable by their standards, but what was noteworthy was that they were supported by Big Star in what turned out to be Alex Chilton's last ever performance in the UK. Sadly, there was hardly anyone there watching them, but they were magnificent. A moment I'll never forget was them playing 'I am the Cosmos' and dedicating it to Chris Bell's brother, who was in the crowd.

Yes, of course I cried.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Dr Marbles on September 08, 2020, 08:40:32 PM
a Tindersticks gig in Hyde Park

That's really made me laugh, imagining families sat round with blankets and picnic hampers, listening to My Sister and Raindrops.

sweeper

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 08, 2020, 02:09:33 PM
There's a good interview with David Boulter here where he talks about and rates all the albums up to The Something Rain.

It always amazes me how musicians view their own work. They rarely have any idea of the true quality of what they've done, and their opinions are usually coloured by what mood the album was recorded in, or whatever. I mean, how is The Something Rain better than T1 and T2? And how is Waiting for the Moon worse than Falling Down a Mountain? Get a grip, Boulter.

The Hungry Saw is very good, though, he's right about that.