Author Topic: I fucking love the Tindersticks  (Read 1145 times)

Fr.Bigley

• Shall I boil this kettle dry?
Re: I fucking love the Tindersticks
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2020, 09:52:32 AM »
Size 6 girls from the dating app. who doesn't.

« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »
The Hungry Saw is very good, though, he's right about that.

I listened to that for the first time since release yesterday and, Boobar aside, thought it was quite forgettable. Listening to FDAM next...

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2020, 10:54:30 AM »
Somewhere up in the loft I've got all their appearances on the Mark Radcliffe show on cassette. Remember cassette? I haven't got a cassette player any more so I'm not really sure how I'd go about digitising them.

Puce Moment

• Hi guys
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2020, 12:25:27 PM »
Fascinating stuff! It's interesting hearing his perspective as I had the impression that they were much happier with Falling down a Mountain than Hungry Saw which I thought might have been the one they rushed.

Naturally, a lot of his opinions on the records comes from his experience in the studio, on tour, trying to write and perform. We are so shielded from the changing inner cultures of bands that it is impossible to know how they feel about their records unless they say it. I suspect that Stuart and Neil would have quite similar views of their albums, although perhaps the ex-members not so much.

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2020, 12:35:57 PM »
I listened to that for the first time since release yesterday and, Boobar aside, thought it was quite forgettable. Listening to FDAM next...

This surprises me. The Other Side of the World and Come Feel the Sun sound to me like prime second-album fare, and Yesterday's Tomorrow's like something off Simple Pleasure. And the folky swing of other songs suits them well. It's up there among their best for me.

« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2020, 01:04:36 PM »
I think post-Dickon and the others, there was a bit of a slump in to a kind of tasteful and bland sound at times. That might be unfair as I was a lot younger (nearly 20 years ago!) back then and liked my music to be more thrilling. I've re-listened to WFTM, THS & FDAM over the last day or two and definitely feel that THS is the worst of the three (although I think Boobar is great).  It kind of annoys me that Stuart's wife's doing backing vocals on one of the tracks too.

Need to give Stuart's solo records a relisten once I finish the main band's stuff. Must have been odd for the remaining Tindersticks to be effectively demoted to Stuart's backing band for those records.

« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2020, 01:30:52 PM »
Must have been odd for the remaining Tindersticks to be effectively demoted to Stuart's backing band for those records.

Bet they kept quiet about it. I wouldn't mess with Staples, he looks like he could take a stiff lid off a jam jar or two.

« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2020, 01:47:35 PM »
I've always imagined that Stuart's home and studio down towards the South of France would be astonishingly beautiful. I watched the video for Medicine last night and it's a right shithole, the scruffy bastard. Looks like a tramp's been bedding down in there for a few weeks.

« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2020, 05:25:25 PM »
Somewhere up in the loft I've got all their appearances on the Mark Radcliffe show on cassette. Remember cassette? I haven't got a cassette player any more so I'm not really sure how I'd go about digitising them.

Pretty sure they were in session for the last of the old Radio 1 shows - finishing on Tiny Tears.

Put me down as another 'best ever band' fanboy. Just a couple of weeks ago I was trying to remember all the times I'd seen them and hidden within my Ticketmaster booking history I found tickets for a Tindersticks gig in Hyde Park in July 2009 - a gig I have zero memory of whatsoever. The following night there were tickets for Bon Iver - again, I have no memory of ever seeing that band.

By going through old Facebook posts I solved this mystery - I was in South Africa that week for a work thing which had obviously been arranged after buying the tickets. Hope I remembered to sell them on to someone.

Tags: