Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:29:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I fucking love the Tindersticks

Started by Dr Syntax Head, September 02, 2020, 11:51:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fr.Bigley

Size 6 girls from the dating app. who doesn't.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: sweeper on September 09, 2020, 09:36:38 AM
The Hungry Saw is very good, though, he's right about that.

I listened to that for the first time since release yesterday and, Boobar aside, thought it was quite forgettable. Listening to FDAM next...

Billy Casper

Somewhere up in the loft I've got all their appearances on the Mark Radcliffe show on cassette. Remember cassette? I haven't got a cassette player any more so I'm not really sure how I'd go about digitising them.

Puce Moment

Fascinating stuff! It's interesting hearing his perspective as I had the impression that they were much happier with Falling down a Mountain than Hungry Saw which I thought might have been the one they rushed.

Naturally, a lot of his opinions on the records comes from his experience in the studio, on tour, trying to write and perform. We are so shielded from the changing inner cultures of bands that it is impossible to know how they feel about their records unless they say it. I suspect that Stuart and Neil would have quite similar views of their albums, although perhaps the ex-members not so much.

sweeper

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 09, 2020, 10:04:57 AM
I listened to that for the first time since release yesterday and, Boobar aside, thought it was quite forgettable. Listening to FDAM next...

This surprises me. The Other Side of the World and Come Feel the Sun sound to me like prime second-album fare, and Yesterday's Tomorrow's like something off Simple Pleasure. And the folky swing of other songs suits them well. It's up there among their best for me.

holyzombiejesus

I think post-Dickon and the others, there was a bit of a slump in to a kind of tasteful and bland sound at times. That might be unfair as I was a lot younger (nearly 20 years ago!) back then and liked my music to be more thrilling. I've re-listened to WFTM, THS & FDAM over the last day or two and definitely feel that THS is the worst of the three (although I think Boobar is great).  It kind of annoys me that Stuart's wife's doing backing vocals on one of the tracks too.

Need to give Stuart's solo records a relisten once I finish the main band's stuff. Must have been odd for the remaining Tindersticks to be effectively demoted to Stuart's backing band for those records.

sweeper

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 09, 2020, 01:04:36 PM
Must have been odd for the remaining Tindersticks to be effectively demoted to Stuart's backing band for those records.

Bet they kept quiet about it. I wouldn't mess with Staples, he looks like he could take a stiff lid off a jam jar or two.

holyzombiejesus

I've always imagined that Stuart's home and studio down towards the South of France would be astonishingly beautiful. I watched the video for Medicine last night and it's a right shithole, the scruffy bastard. Looks like a tramp's been bedding down in there for a few weeks.

Dr Marbles

Quote from: Billy Casper on September 09, 2020, 10:54:30 AM
Somewhere up in the loft I've got all their appearances on the Mark Radcliffe show on cassette. Remember cassette? I haven't got a cassette player any more so I'm not really sure how I'd go about digitising them.

Pretty sure they were in session for the last of the old Radio 1 shows - finishing on Tiny Tears.

Quote from: Dr Marbles on September 08, 2020, 08:40:32 PM
Put me down as another 'best ever band' fanboy. Just a couple of weeks ago I was trying to remember all the times I'd seen them and hidden within my Ticketmaster booking history I found tickets for a Tindersticks gig in Hyde Park in July 2009 - a gig I have zero memory of whatsoever. The following night there were tickets for Bon Iver - again, I have no memory of ever seeing that band.

By going through old Facebook posts I solved this mystery - I was in South Africa that week for a work thing which had obviously been arranged after buying the tickets. Hope I remembered to sell them on to someone.

holyzombiejesus

I've got two copies on vinyl of Simple Pleasures and Curtains, the original pressing and that recent one with an extra disc of b-sides/ demos. Sorely tempted to sell the originals as they're going for upwards of £100, and would do so without a second's thought if the reissues were the same as the initial pressings. But they're not, the inners are different, the opening and closing songs on each side are different as they've put a different amount of tracks on each record. On the other hand, recent pressings are supposed to be great and I only really listen to them on my ipod. But they're not the actual records, are they? But £100 each.

What shall I do?

Crabwalk

Puce Moment

I'm not really in a good position to comment as I sold all of my records a few years ago, but I don't think selling individual records is worth it unless they are stupid expensive (over 500 say).

badaids

Quote from: Crabwalk on September 26, 2020, 11:36:36 PM
Keep.

Agree - as much as anything those original pressings are lovely things. Curtains has got the record sleeves made out of that lovely old brown thick wrapping paper that was used for wrapping parcels - I bet the repressing doesn't.. Simple pleasures was the only one I never got round to buying and I can't face having a reprint in my collection. Also they will only go up in value so keep them as long as possible.

Campbell Soupe

Quote from: Dr Marbles on September 09, 2020, 05:25:25 PM
Pretty sure they were in session for the last of the old Radio 1 shows - finishing on Tiny Tears.

Yeah they bookended Radcliffe's magnificent Graveyard Shift show, being his first and last session guests.  It was those appearances that got me hooked, as a callow youth.  Their version of Pavement's Here still makes me well-up to this day.

Says something about something that Radcliffe's final Daytime R1 "session" was fucking Travis.....

holyzombiejesus

David Boulter's gone and made an album on his own, to be released on Clay Pipe.

Crabwalk

Ooh, thanks for the heads up on that. Will investigate. Lovely cover art.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Crabwalk on October 05, 2020, 09:57:43 AM
Ooh, thanks for the heads up on that. Will investigate. Lovely cover art.

Goes up for pre-order on Friday, apparently. Will sell out in minutes so get in there quick.

Crabwalk

The little snippet from the title track on the Clay Pipe page sounds wonderful:

http://www.claypipemusic.co.uk

'E-Type' and 'The Organist Entertains', his compositions on The Hungry Saw are lovely instrumentals. I'm not aware of his solo soundtrack work though. Shoud check some of that out.

Crabwalk

holyzombiejesus

New single! TVPs cover!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCOM30iRd7k&feature=youtu.be&src=Linkfire&lId=4a337693-2b77-4986-842f-ed4ceb78aaf8&cId=d3d58fd7-4c47-11e6-9fd0-066c3e7a8751&fbclid=IwAR0um9OHBRmsQzGlQJCfNuBjc0t9d5ZRSRJfUAP3uKIsxNtJxQZBjsol4pc

QuoteNew single 'You'll have to scream louder' released today
Hello everyone, some good news, some new music.
A new album on its way, it's called 'Distractions' and we are pretty excited by it. More details to follow in the New Year but in the meantime here is the first song - A cover version of The Television Personalities' 'You'll have to scream louder' from their classic album 'The Painted Word'
You can liste to it bloew or via this link: http://tindersticks.lnk.to/yhtsl
"Late May, early June 2020 was a twitchy and angry time for many of us. There was a growing agitation inside of me.
I woke on a Saturday morning with no plans but just this fucking Television Personalities song going round in my head, it pushed me into the studio.
4 or 5 hours later I had made the basis of this recording, though I had to wait for windows of opportunity within our confinement to work with the band to bring it to a conclusion.
I have loved the TVPs since buying the Bill Grundy e.p. with its photocopied sleeve on one of my regular after school bus trips to the Virgin record shop in a basement on King Street, Nottingham.
Some years later, in 1984, I was living around the corner on the 17th floor of Victoria Centre flats, they swayed in the wind. I was working a few days at a local record shop and The Painted Word was released. It became at the soundtrack to that semi-slum, those times. I was 19.
To be young in the early 1980's there was much to be angry about, battles to be fought - Thatcher, racial and gender injustice - and (one of the motivations for this song) nuclear disarmament. Although we may not have thought those battles were ever won, we believed we had helped push things in a different direction, that changes were made.
In the spring of 2020 we were shown painfully that these battles are ongoing."
'Hope you enjoy
Wishing you all the best possible Christmas and some good times in 2021
Stuart

For reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH5ZVbjibS0

gilbertharding

I've not the first clue about The Tindersticks, except that they were the butt of a regular joke on the 'humour page' of the NME way back then, and my little brother was on one of their records once. He was almost certainly playing the violin, probably in 1994. He, by the way, knows less about the Tindersticks than I do, and if I asked him about appearing on one of their records would almost certainly be unable to recall any more details than that.

Phil_A

On his Monday show Gideon Coe played out some tracks from the 'Sticks set at the Shepherd's Bush Empire in 1997 that got recorded for Radio 1. Not the whole thing, annoyingly - I had a tape of about half of it at the time that also included Ballad Of Tindersticks and Fast One.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000q422 - Starts around 2:21:33.

Edit: Gah, they've trimmed one of the best bits of audience interaction, after Bathtime when someone yells "SHOW US YER INSIDE LEG!" and Stuart responds very dryly with "You wouldn't want to..."

Wait, this is confusing. They've included "My Sister" which wasn't in the original broadcast, also for someone reason they've swapped out "If I Was Your Man" and "Don't Look Down" for a random Peel Session track, why??

I really miss the days when Six would just play out whole live sets in full without fucking around with them.

holyzombiejesus

Anyone heard the new album? I like it, quite different to other stuff and would possibly have preferred an EP without the cover versions. That said, hope it's a temporary change of direction rather than a sign of the way they're heading now.

holyzombiejesus

Just got back to the hotel from the Royal Festival Hall show. Man, it was so great! 12 string players, Terry Edwards and For Those... as the last song.

Waking Life

I really enjoyed it too, once it got going. One thing that slightly baffles me is how often they do both Medicine and She's Gone live. They're both decent songs, but they have a very rich back catalogue and I always find those two tracks slightly one note. In fact, I think I probably only started going cold on She's Gone due to the overfamiliarity (also diminished by stronger tracks on that particular album).

They went from strength to strength on Sunday though. Encore tracks were perfect - Harmony Around My Table sandwiched perfectly between My Sister and Tiny Tears.

holyzombiejesus

I just read that the bearded guitarist lurking at the back was Stuart Staples' son, Stanley.

I really enjoyed Pinky... and How He Entered. Love the lyric about the dog holding his own missing poster just to be sure everyone knew how lost he was.

Think it was the best I've seen them and hope they announce some more UK dates for the autumn. Hope that they record one of the shows too.

SweetPomPom

Missed this thread first time round but, yeah, the RFH gig was pretty special.
Hadn't seen them since they were in the tent at Reading one year when choosing between seeing the 'Marbles' band or RHCP was an absolute no brainer.
There's something so effortless and obvious about their sound but no-one else gets close to it and his voice is still incredible.