Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:17:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Impossible fights and things in games that fucking ruin everything.

Started by Glebe, September 03, 2020, 02:42:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

So I've been playing Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate on me laptop, surprisingly enjoyable spin-off from the main series that was originally developed for the Nintendo 3DS and Vita. Did I say surprisingly enjoyable? Yes, apart from the very end... so I've reached the final boss battle with Catwoman, and by fuck is it an enormous pain in the backside. The fight is in three stages, the first is pretty easy, the second is a bit frustrating but tolerable, but the last bit involves using countering attacks very precisely, and I just cannot do it. I mean, I dunno if there's a fault with the mechanics of the game or what, but I just seem to react too slow. Tried using both gamepad and keyboard, to no avail. It's really fucked me off, I can tell you (I've been in foul humour today as it is).

I found chat on various forums and that describing how annoying this is, so I'm not alone (one guy on the Steam community said it probably ranks as one the worst boss fights in his 20+ years of gaming). Bear in mind that I just recently beat Omega Weapon in Final Fantasy VIII.

So anyway, what are peoples most annoying gaming experiences?

Moribunderast

Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - the Tyrant on the plane when you don't have enough ammo to kill it. You have to run around a tiny space, trying to avoid it's sweeping attacks long enough to press a button. Three times. I could never do it. Watched YouTube clips where people managed it and I still couldn't manage. Was loving the game up until then too!

Glebe

Quote from: Moribunderast on September 03, 2020, 06:27:55 AMResident Evil: Code Veronica X - the Tyrant on the plane when you don't have enough ammo to kill it. You have to run around a tiny space, trying to avoid it's sweeping attacks long enough to press a button. Three times. I could never do it. Watched YouTube clips where people managed it and I still couldn't manage. Was loving the game up until then too!

Didn't get very far in that, think I borrowed if off a friend when I had a PS2.

BlodwynPig

Obel

Quote from: Moribunderast on September 03, 2020, 06:27:55 AM
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X - the Tyrant on the plane when you don't have enough ammo to kill it. You have to run around a tiny space, trying to avoid it's sweeping attacks long enough to press a button. Three times. I could never do it. Watched YouTube clips where people managed it and I still couldn't manage. Was loving the game up until then too!

yeah it's an absolute cunt. I played Code Veronica for the first time the other month and hated that boss. I managed to get into a good square of running and dodging him in the end, but yeah fuck that guy. Not fun in the slightest. Several rage quits.

jobotic

King Bongo Bongo in Ocarina of Time. Couldn't do it at all, when mental. Took three months off then did it second time.

Getting the puzzle piece from under the ship in Banjo Kazooie.

Inspector Norse

Back in the day my fourteen-year-old self got stuck on the original Half-Life for months when I failed to realise that the Blast Pit had a ground floor. Was trying to whack the giant tentacle monster with a crowbar.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I bet you were, you dirty old bollocks.

I played Yooka Laylee recently. It was fairly easy throughout - the better to enjoy the n64 style nostalgia. Then I got to the final boss: a multi-stage bastard, way more difficult than anything in the rest of the game. I eventually beat him, but it must have taken a good hour or two in total.

buttgammon

Defeating Pinstripe on Hot Air Skyway. Just fuck off you potoroo bastard.

Kelvin

Just finished my new game+ playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses on Nintendo Switch this morning. I was playing through it on the Hard difficulty, permadeath, but I hadn't lost any characters and, although some levels had been a bit tricky and required a restart, nothing had really stumped me for too long. Final level, all my character levelled up, all armed to the teeth. I clear out the level, so it's my entire team vs the one boss enemy. Circle him with my troops.

Then I realise the truth of it. Of a squad of twelve characters, only five can actually inflict damage on him - and we are talking the tiniest amount, 1-5% at most. Of those five, two are killed instantly when he counter attacks. He regenerates health each turn. I rewind time over and over again, trying to find a gap, a solution that will keep everyone alive. I can't. 100+ hours I spent with these poor fuckers, and now, faced with one final enemy, they are all of them worthless. I consider restarting the level and turning the difficulty down, but that's feel like cheating after coming so far. So I faced facts: these courageous, optimistic young men and women were going to die, and die hard.

I use the ones who can't do any damage to distract him, each one dying in one hit. The ones who can do damage and live, chip away at him, take massive damage themselves, and have to be healed while the others die. Of twelve characters, five survived, wading through the blood and shattered bone of their friends and allies. The end credits show little stories about what happened to the survivors. I literally teared up reading that two of them had found some sliver of happiness together. War is hell. I've lived it.               

Bazooka

Metroid Samus Returns (the remake in 3DS), typical Metroid/Castlevania schtick explore until you find a new upgrade to access the next part of the map, and I'd just got be morph ball bomb, and need this to blow up holes in walls. Typical to these games you go to every unexplored room highlighted on the map, and I spent fucking days blowing up and shooting every pixel I could see but made no progress, straight to CEX it went. I am usually fine with these games, but this process of frustration was miserable, couldn't even be arsed to watch a YouTube guide, I was that demoralized.

bgmnts

I did it. No joke.

It took upwards of 50 tries and I did it.

Then I realised that I still had another half of the game to go and literally cried out in anguish.

Bazooka

Pros use GameShark. Seriously though CV is probably the most stingy when it comes to enemy quantity vs ammo availability.

The Crumb

The last Championship in Burnout 3 was a total bastard. Going from fast but controllable super cars, to unweildy piece of shit F1 cars. Boosting made you go too fast and lose control, trying to to do takedowns would usually end up with you crashing. The rubberbanding meant you could never get more than a second ahead, but if you crashed you'd get 10 seconds behind. You had to get through multiple 8-9 minute long races going at 200 mph without crashing once. While most of the game was a perfect blend of fun and tension, this was pure fucking stress.

magval

Can you actually beat that Tyrant on the plane if you haven't been fortunate enough to have enough ammo with you? I thought it was literally impossible otherwise.

NoSleep

The underground carpark in Driver; it's the first thing you have to do, then nothing as hard as that until near the end of the game.

Bazooka

Quote from: magval on September 03, 2020, 01:50:02 PM
Can you actually beat that Tyrant on the plane if you haven't been fortunate enough to have enough ammo with you? I thought it was literally impossible otherwise.

You can beat him with the knife, if you have it on you of course.

Clownbaby

In all honesty the Resi 7 chainsaw bit pisses me off and puts me off revisiting it because I only seem to manage it by pure chance once I've got fed up of trying to be clever with my deflections and just start mashing buttons and shoving my chainsaw at the twat at random. The moment I try to think about it I just can't seem to do it.

The combat controls in every Silent Hill full stop. They're crap, yet people rush to their defence. My feelings are not going to change. Absolutely pathetic combat controls. Even once I get back into the swing of them they feel so unsatisfying and bad. A lot of the time I find myself rooting more for the monsters than the stupid bumbling twat I'm controling. Oh paused stiffly between each pathetic swipe did you James? Well you deserved to get destroyed, get out of my sight. Dickhead.

I quite like Bayonetta with all its campy-dumbness but any time I have to activate ''Witch Time'' (slow down time with a very very precise sequence of moves I think??), again, I just can't seem to do it and just mash shite until it happens by accident.

bgmnts

Quote from: magval on September 03, 2020, 01:50:02 PM

Yes. I did it with 4 handgun bullets and a knife.

Genuine elation.

Phil_A

The Goron Race in Majora's Mask. To this day I don't know how I managed to beat it even once, i'm sure I couldn't do it again. Tried to do it on an emulator a couple of years ago and decided it was not worth the trouble (after about fifty attempts).

I would also say the fish boss Gyorg is the most frustrated I have ever been by a Zelda boss, exacerbated by it being against the clock and the prospect of failure meaning replaying a large section of the game over again. That part of the game was just a horrible, exhausting experience.

Clownbaby

I've noticed that all the stuff I was shit at in my childhood games, I can now do easily. Then there's things that I somehow managed fine when I was about 12 but can't comprehend now. I've always been fucking shit at the first Rayman though and that will never change

Ferris

Quote from: NoSleep on September 03, 2020, 02:00:17 PM
The underground carpark in Driver; it's the first thing you have to do, then nothing as hard as that until near the end of the game.

I fucked the game off after that. Didn't know what was going on, couldn't work it out, chucked directly in bin, no fucks given.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Crumb on September 03, 2020, 01:47:13 PM
The last Championship in Burnout 3 was a total bastard. Going from fast but controllable super cars, to unweildy piece of shit F1 cars. Boosting made you go too fast and lose control, trying to to do takedowns would usually end up with you crashing. The rubberbanding meant you could never get more than a second ahead, but if you crashed you'd get 10 seconds behind. You had to get through multiple 8-9 minute long races going at 200 mph without crashing once. While most of the game was a perfect blend of fun and tension, this was pure fucking stress.
Agreed, and there was another one where the final race was effectively impossible unless you bought one of the much better DLC cars.

The David Cross RC missions in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. So fucking difficult.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 03, 2020, 07:48:14 PM
The David Cross RC missions in Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas. So fucking difficult.

They've actually universally nerfed those. Anything other than the original 1.00 PS2 release has a significantly easier time of it.

Clownbaby

Agreed, and there was another one where the final race was effectively impossible unless you bought one of the much better DLC cars.

They can piss off. I was so annoyed when I found out they weren't mandatory after about 70 attempts

buttgammon

I never finished them - even the one with the toy helicopter in the building site from Vice City was much easier. Horrible stuff.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 03, 2020, 07:52:39 PM
They've actually universally nerfed those. Anything other than the original 1.00 PS2 release has a significantly easier time of it.
Yep. Now you only use up fuel when you hit the accelerator. It took me ages to beat the PS2 version (and it was purely a fluke that the three vans spawned near to the starting point). Years later, I played the rerelease on the 360 and beat that mission on my first go. It was strangely disappointing, in a way.

Thursday

I seemed to luck out with that Supply Lines Mission and did on my 3rd or 4th go. Nowhere near as bad as that one mission in Vice City. (Can't remember the name or any of the details now)