Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:56:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Like a few kilometers of deep sea: A Chi-fi Thread

Started by QDRPHNC, September 03, 2020, 04:20:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 21, 2020, 03:47:44 AM
Got my fingers crossed that the Cayin N3 will be on sale soon. It's got a tube amp in it

Wouldn't that suck the battery dry in no time?

QDRPHNC

Reviews say battery life is average. I need to get better at buying based on such criteria.

Although it seems like you can switch between the tubes and solid state, the latter giving better battery life.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: QDRPHNC on October 21, 2020, 03:47:44 AM
Got my fingers crossed that the Cayin N3 will be on sale soon. It's got a tube amp in it (visible through the front window) ffs

that is ludicrous and exellent

QDRPHNC

Anyone else watch Bad Guy Good Audio Reviews? I can see his personality rubbing people the wrong way, but I like how straightforward he is. Here's his review of the above Cayin. He also has lots of Chi-fi DAP and DAC reviews if anyone is interested.

Chedney Honks

I have the Hifiman Ananda planar magnetic headphones and while they cost a few quid, they are also a shitload better than the price (£649 RRP). I got an aftermarket balanced cable as well and it lifted them even further. They are absolutely superb and very easy to drive. I would describe them as 'rich neutral', very little coloration but presented with body. I think I'd be doubling my money to get a serious upgrade. Represents the best of Chi-Fi, in my opinion.

Not Chinese but Korean, my DAP is the Astell and Kern A&norma SR25. Again, not cheap (£649 RRP) but it's astounding bang for your buck. There are plenty who prefer it to the two grand A&K DAPs. Drives the Ananda like a mother fucker, and easily. I've tried pairing it with a Fiio Q5S amp/DAC (more superb Chi-Fi) but it really doesn't need it. That combination changes the sound (narrower, bit punchier) rather than enhances it. I prefer the openness of the SR25 on its own.

Build quality has traditionally been an issue with top-end Chinese tech, but they've improved massively in recent years. My Ananda feel way more robust than the various 6** Sennheiser I've had over the years. The A&K is cheating somewhat (as it's Korean) but I don't think I've ever had such a premium feeling device in my hand.

QDRPHNC

^ Don't know how I missed this. Those are both beautiful pieces of equipment. The Hifiman headphones in particular, I've heard very, very good things about. I really like the A&K industrial design style too, they're not afraid to be quirky - maybe too quirky for a mainstream audience, but I respect that.

I went ahead and bought the Cayin N3 Pro today. Really probably shouldn't have, but the crypto thread made me realize I've been watching my money grow for two years and never used it for anything fun, so decided to treat myself. It's got great reviews, it looks lovely and the glass tube gives it a bit of a curiosity factor.

The Acmee MF-01, which caused me to start this thread, is a fantastic little player for the price, but given how often I listen to it, its idiosyncrasies are wearing on me a little. I'd like to give it a good home though, so if someone here would like it, PM your address and I'll get it in the mail. It takes a regular micro SD and needs a USB-C cable to charge.

Here are my issues with it, in the interests of full disclosure:

- Won't read more than one folder level deep, so you need to reorganize your library on the card. They released a firmware update that does it, but it's implemented in such an odd way, it actually made browsing more difficult and I went back to the previous firmware.

- Has trouble putting files in the correct order, doesn't seem to order by filename. This issue is dealt with, on Mac at least, by running a little program called Fatsort on the card after I've added some new music to it. Takes only a few seconds.

That's it really, if you can deal with those things, the MF-01 is beyond reproach in the sound department, and it's a weird and loveable little device. I'd sell it on Facebook or something, but I don't want to spend the next week trying to explain all this to a buyer.

Sebastian Cobb

Bought a headphone amp with bluetooth in for about 20 quid today so I can use my phone with my AKG's and stuff.

Found this in the process.

QDRPHNC

I really did that thing where you spit out some water.

touchingcloth

In-ear headphones with an in-line mic and volume control. Go.

touchingcloth

Are they both battery-powered? Owt decent out there that's passive? Cheap with decent sound quality and some level of weather-resistance is the kind of thing I'm after more than the best possible sound quality. Podcasts and calls and a bit of choon while walking the dog, kind of thing.

Sebastian Cobb

One is the earphones, they come with a detachable cable, the other is a bluetooth module which has a rechargable li-on cell inside and replaces the cable, it also has a mic/remote on it.

If you don't want a bluetooth module you can get cables with mic/remote but they're about the same price as the module.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32701385078.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.5a4c5b7fVOifcF&algo_pvid=6ff18875-1497-40d7-90ce-8c02194ff256&algo_expid=6ff18875-1497-40d7-90ce-8c02194ff256-0&btsid=2100bdca16134045613625249e69b1&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

touchingcloth

Ah, the picture of the Bluetooth module made it look like one of those round-the-back-of-the-neck headphones, just with tiny buds.

touchingcloth

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 15, 2021, 04:07:05 PM
Ah, the picture of the Bluetooth module made it look like one of those round-the-back-of-the-neck headphones, just with tiny buds.

And even on a second look, I can't work out what it is. What are the two little pins sticking out of each end about?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on February 15, 2021, 04:09:23 PM
And even on a second look, I can't work out what it is. What are the two little pins sticking out of each end about?

They plug into the earphones. The cables are removable.

So to get the functionality you want (remote control) you need to remove the supplied cable, and replace it with one that has wires and an inline remote, or a wireless module, which has those features anyway.

touchingcloth

Oh right, like you just plop a bud on the end? Modular headphones?

Sebastian Cobb

Yeah pretty much. In-ear monitors tend to have removable cables, as do posher in-ear headphones like sures and whatever as the cable is the fragile part and bound to need replacing before the rest of it.

Wireless seems needlessly complicated but I'm always snagging headphone wires so to me it's worth it. Although I have different older modules that aren't joined by a wire and hook over the ear like hearing aids. I didn't link them as they don't have a volume control I don't think, perhaps they do if you push the button in the right sequence of long and short presses, I can never remember.

touchingcloth

I tend to prefer wired as I can't be fucked with charging yet more stuff. Modular might be no bad idea though cos like you say it's always the cables which go first...

katzenjammer

This thread is amazing, I had no idea this stuff existed.  I'm after some new bluetooth earbuds, so can I just buy something like this and then some headphones like these (or the Tin Hifi T3 IEMs from the QDRPNHC's first post) and they'll work and sound better than your usual sennheiser, bose, akg, grados etc ?

Sebastian Cobb

Yes, just double check you're buying the right variant with the module so the connectors/pin spacings are the same. I've had Sennheiser's and Soundmagics in the past and these are cheaper and better. And although they're a bit chunky and plasticy looking, I think, more durable.

Work out whether you actually want a charging carry case and removable ear hooks; if the answer is no you can get the 20s's for half the price of the pros.

touchingcloth

Thanks for the pointers towards these little modular bastards, Cobb. I've realised I could buy a pair of buds with a cheap cable for what my original request was about, and a separate bluetooth cable for swapping them out with (useful for plane/train trips when they become a thing again, and whichever phone I move to next probably won't have a 3.5mm socket anyway).

I'm guessing that the curve near the pins in the photos of the original bluetooth module/cable link you sent is semi-rigid and designed to be looped over your ears? I find those things uncomfortable so would go for the dangly sort instead.

On which point, does anyone know if this module can have the buds replaced? https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001240494919.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.351f2ef9zebNkd&algo_pvid=df557b96-0b7d-44ab-8815-b1f9fedb56ad&algo_expid=df557b96-0b7d-44ab-8815-b1f9fedb56ad-7&btsid=2100bdf116145911921566770e7f79&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_ - the description saying "Replaceable Upgrade Wire" makes me think...yes?

If anyone fancies recommending a dangly rather than over-ear bluetooth module and a compatible set of buds of the small/plain/simple rather than noise-cancelly monitor things (so this rather than this, essentially) I'd be much obliged. Or just some pointers to which brands to be found on Ali Express aren't total shit and/or guides about understanding WTF I'm looking at with listing descriptions like "TRN M10 1BA+1DD Metal Hybrid In Ear Monitor Earphone HIFI Sport Earphone Earplug Headset Headplug v90/BA8/VX/BT20S PRO with QDC" (bold added around bits which look significant yet are meaningless to me - I don't know which bits are generic, and which are manufacturer-specific) would be handy.

touchingcloth

Interestingly after a bit of research I've settled on buying a pair of Blon BL-03 earphones as sounding like the best value for a non-audiophile who wants things to sound fun more than accurate (I'll quite happily listen to 128kbps MP3s, ta), and I've just noticed that they get shouted out by QDRPHNC in the OP! Do you actually have a pair? Any more thoughts on them that I won't have seen online if so? I'd be interested in knowing whether they work upside-down with the left phone in the right ear and vice versa, as my one hesitation is how well I will get on with the cord going over the ear rather than dangling down so I'm already looking for ways to get around that.

Sebastian Cobb

The ones you posted didn't look like they were detatchable and didn't mention it in the specs, just the sidebar so I'd take it as them being non-detachable.

The BT3s are the non-hearing aid equivalent of the BT40 I think, I got my dad them after he didn't get on with the rigidness of the 40's going round the back of his ear and broke them. I think although they dangle behind the ear, they're far less rigid than the 40's.

touchingcloth

Quote from: touchingcloth on March 03, 2021, 11:50:49 AM
Interestingly after a bit of research I've settled on buying a pair of Blon BL-03 earphones as sounding like the best value for a non-audiophile who wants things to sound fun more than accurate (I'll quite happily listen to 128kbps MP3s, ta), and I've just noticed that they get shouted out by QDRPHNC in the OP! Do you actually have a pair? Any more thoughts on them that I won't have seen online if so? I'd be interested in knowing whether they work upside-down with the left phone in the right ear and vice versa, as my one hesitation is how well I will get on with the cord going over the ear rather than dangling down so I'm already looking for ways to get around that.

These things are fucking great, by the way. Twenty quid very well spent - glad I found this thread for a) finding out about earbuds which can have their cables swapped out and b) spending a small amount more than the absolute bare minimum has landed me with a really fun pair of headphones.

cUnT-CrAzY

How are you finding the Cayin?

I really love the sound of my WM1-Z but there are some tracks where it is a bit too clinical, I was thinking of venturing down into the world of Chifi Tube DAPs to get an alternate flavour with the Campfire Solaris.

Sebastian Cobb

Doesn't the WM1-Z come with 'warmth' DSP's to do that sort of thing? Is it not very good?

I admit I kind of thought those were a bit of a gimmick and reminded me of the old Pro-Logic dsp's on tv with things like CATHEDRAL effects.

Ferris

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on May 08, 2021, 04:09:10 PM
I admit I kind of thought those were a bit of a gimmick and reminded me of the old Pro-Logic dsp's on tv with things like CATHEDRAL effects.

Used to love mucking about with those. I think windows ME (or XP?) had similar settings as well so you could hear a facsimile of playing worms in a cave.

Sebastian Cobb

Wearing a mask + glasses + long hair made one of my earbuds fall out and if I pushed it in hard I think the end would pinch so I couldn't hear anything.

I bought some 'hybrid' tips (foam inner, with a silicone outer) to get around this and they're great.

They go for about £16 from places like Audio Sanctuary but can be had for under half that with quick delivery on Aliexpress: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002510505519.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.1ceb4c4dndIwnB

touchingcloth

How are they at cutting out wind noise? I use my mainly while walking the dog and on windy days (which are every...days) they get very gusty. I don't think noise cancelling copes well with the dirty of thing so soundproofing it's what I need.

Sebastian Cobb

The noise isolation is better than my last tips, but I dunno 100% about wind as that seems like the kind of thing that might be being picked up by the iem's and transmitted through the body, in which case I don't know how effective anything will be. The foam might help a bit, maybe.

I'll try and remember to see if I notice next time I'm outside.