Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:58:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you do the accent?

Started by The Mollusk, September 04, 2020, 11:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgmnts

A Welsh accent living in Chepstow??

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 04, 2020, 02:11:46 PM
A Welsh accent living in Chepstow??

This was years before it became a suburb of Bristol, when it was still populated by Welsh people.

Shit Good Nose

steve98

We don' need no stinkin' bajis.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: steve98 on September 04, 2020, 02:20:41 PM
We don' need no stinkin' bajis.

But yer man Alfonso Bedoya was actually Mexican and that was his own accent. 

(sorry to spoil your joke)

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 04, 2020, 11:46:23 AM
Using an appropriated term
Do you say "paper mashy" or do you say papier-mâché? Do you say "raisin debt" or do you say raison d'être, all French like? Are you worried it might make you look like a bit of a twat? I mean, you wouldn't learn Japanese but just speak it in a Mancunian accent, would you? I think this one boils down to self-consciousness. But then would you go to an Indian restaurant and order bhaji and do a fucking Indian accent? Is that okay? I don't think that's okay!

Trying too hard is the worst sin, isn't it. You can do a nasal plus silent t at the end of "restaurant" as long as you sound like you can't be bothered pronouncing the t. You can put some vague voiceless sound on the end of "raison d'être" and "Sartre". But don't be enunciating anything clearly. And don't do mouth shapes.

The other reason to pronounce foreign proper is to get one over on poshos. I can't find a clip but many years ago in Parliament Dennis Skinner corrected some Tory who casually used the word "debacle" as if it rhymed with "spackle". Normally using the French ending, where you have a soft, voiceless "cluh", would be horrifying, but, equally if you're some Tory wanker caught saying "cull" like you're killing seals, you're open to ridicule from the peasants.

ProvanFan

Buelligan

Quote from: Endicott on September 04, 2020, 01:50:50 PM
Couldn't we just ban Rob Bryden. It would be a lot simpler.

He reminds me of Bronzy's dog and therefore we cannot.

Brydon

Although John Wayne played Genghis Khan in yellowface, at least he was culturally sensitive enough to avoid doing a crass "ching chong" accent and instead stuck with his usual cowboy drawl.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Voltan (Man of Steel) on September 04, 2020, 04:16:57 PM
Although John Wayne played Genghis Khan in yellowface, at least he was culturally sensitive enough to avoid doing a crass "ching chong" accent and instead stuck with his usual cowboy drawl.

To be fair they all paid their penance by dying of cancer from filming it in a nuclear fallout zone.

I know nothing about the film so just googled it. Crumbs!

"The exterior scenes were shot near St. George, Utah, which is 137 miles (220 km) downwind of the United States government's Nevada National Security Site and received the brunt of nuclear fallout from testing active in this period. In 1953, 11 above-ground nuclear weapons tests occurred at the site as part of Operation Upshot–Knothole. The cast and crew spent many difficult weeks at the site, and producer Howard Hughes later shipped 60 tons of dirt back to Hollywood in order to match the Utah terrain and lend realism to studio re-shoots. The filmmakers knew about the nuclear tests but the federal government had assured residents that the tests posed no hazard to the public health."

Shit Good Nose

Something ridiculous like half the cast and crew developed cancer and loads of them died with it within 20 years.  Despite Wayne saying his cancer was as a result of all the fags he smoked, he actually died from stomach cancer, which was almost certainly caused by the prolonged exposure to radiation.  (For a similar story, cf. Andrei Tarkovsky's Stalker)

The film itself is also abysmal, probably the worst of Wayne's entire career.  Which is going some.

notjosh

I hate it when a beautiful foreign language is butchered by our crude Saxon tongues, which is why I always make the effort to deliver an authentically Gallic pronunciation of Pret a Manger.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

See-ya-batter bread

Dja-la-peen-ohs

It's people discovering new things I guess.

We need to grab a Frenchman and see if he says 'Gobleen amburgris in gravvveh'

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Had a bit of an awkward moment when I went to an Asian restaraunt in Berlin and asked for a bowl of Nazi Göering

thenoise

My Mum delights in an English bastardisation of foreign foodstuffs such as 'fock-ka-key-ah' and 'panno chocolate'. I always thought it was because she was a bit of a Brexit w*gs start at Calais type ('Kall-ayz'?) but turns out that she's the culturally sensitive one.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I remember reading one of Bill Bryson's books where he visited a town in America also called Calais. He kept pronouncing it in the correct, French way and the locals couldn't understand him. Turns out they pronounce it as "Callus".

steve98

When I was at school in Scotland doing French it was as shameful to do the accent as it was to be caught doin' a poo in the school toilets. Only snobby, swotty mummy's boys would even try.

steve98

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 04, 2020, 02:23:40 PM
But yer man Alfonso Bedoya was actually Mexican and that was his own accent. 

(sorry to spoil your joke)

It's ok, it's not the first time someone's ruined it. (I always post his pic when anyone mentions onion bajis)

shiftwork2

Quote from: the science eel on September 04, 2020, 12:08:04 PM
I'm absolutely ready to get on board with this idea, but I'm not really sure what you mean.

I think it started with Live and Kicking.  There was a sort of catchphrase I don't rightly knoooor with proper thickie Northerner intonation on the last word.  Then she seemed to drop in random single Northerner lines for no apparent reason on her radio show.  Others, including real people I know, did it, but this visitation from Hell is most associated with it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: steve98 on September 04, 2020, 06:59:18 PM
It's ok, it's not the first time someone's ruined it. (I always post his pic when anyone mentions onion bajis)

Tell you what - I fucking love bajis/bhajis.  Very much into aubergine bhaji at the mo.

steve98

"Oburjeen? Bhajis!? WE DON' NEED NO STEENKIN' OBURJEEN BHAJIS!"

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: steve98 on September 04, 2020, 07:21:24 PM
"Oburjeen? Bhajis!? WE DON' NEED NO STEENKIN' OBURJEEN BHAJIS!"

But yer man Alfonso, etc...

Small Man Big Horse

Some of my Chinese students speak with an American accent, does that mean they're racists?

Gulftastic

'When you gooooo, wull yooo send bach, a letta frrrrrrom Americaaaaa...'

Irristable.

steve98

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 04, 2020, 07:28:52 PM
But yer man Alfonso, etc...
It's magic realism; I'm letting go of the fetters for a period.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 04, 2020, 07:29:30 PM
Some of my Chinese students speak with an American accent

A mate of mine who taught English in both North and South Korea said the same about his students.  Obviously in SK it's from American films and TV and all the big YouTube stars, but he could never figure out how they got to it in NK.  Perhaps the way East Asian languages are spoken naturally lead to American style English?

RenegadeScrew

I don't mind saying 'zaragotha' or 'paree' too much, although you run into problems when it is almost impossible to say it (dutch).  I am much more perturbed by changing the spelling completely like Munich i/o Munchen.  The Italians have a ridiculous number of these it seems.

It's also bizarre to try to pronounce Van Gogh correctly when you are still calling the two french-speaking conquerors 'William'.  Or calling Caesar's mate Mark Anthony ffs.

steve98

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 04, 2020, 07:32:11 PM
'When you gooooo, wull yooo send bach, a letta frrrrrrom Americaaaaa...'

Dear Bach, I've arrived in America.
A fan.

MidnightShambler

When I swear to myself out loud, like 'oh fuck off' when I drop something at work, I do it in a cockney accent. But only if I'm alone. I've got no idea when I started doing this but weirdly, my ex (who was Dutch) did it too once when she dropped a pan in the kitchen. I'd just walked into the room and she didn't know I was there.  Apparently she'd always done it. Are we all secretly cockneys when alone or is it just me and her and should I marry her?

Also, all Danes under 30 sound American when speaking English. The older ones sound like Joss Ackland.