Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:02:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Do you do the accent?

Started by The Mollusk, September 04, 2020, 11:46:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 04, 2020, 07:29:30 PM
Some of my Chinese students speak with an American accent, does that mean they're racists?

You're their teacher. Teach them to speak properly.

notjosh

Quote from: MidnightShambler on September 04, 2020, 07:52:50 PM
When I swear to myself out loud, like 'oh fuck off' when I drop something at work, I do it in a cockney accent.

I always go for "fuccchhin ell" in Scouse. Also the odd "are yer fookin mad?" type-thing in Yorkshire, and a few phrases here and there in Indian (usually Tamil, sometimes a bit more Delhi).  Adds a bit of colour to your life dunnit?

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 04, 2020, 11:52:01 AM
I'm probably guilty of similar but the 'do one line in generic Northern' always mystified me.  The worst person ever to have lived, Zoe Ball, did this frequently.

Just when I thought I couldn't hate Zoe Ball anymore then I already do, I read this.  I hate the way she always seems to have a possie of sycothants "whooping" at her no matter what she's doing.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 04, 2020, 07:44:38 PM
A mate of mine who taught English in both North and South Korea said the same about his students.  Obviously in SK it's from American films and TV and all the big YouTube stars, but he could never figure out how they got to it in NK.  Perhaps the way East Asian languages are spoken naturally lead to American style English?

Maybe, though I think it might be partially them imitating the teachers who first taught them (as the majority of the people who work for the company are from the US) but every so often I have a student who speaks with a perfect RP British accent and it comes as a surprise.

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on September 04, 2020, 07:53:42 PM
You're their teacher. Teach them to speak properly.

Never!

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 04, 2020, 09:59:41 PM
Maybe, though I think it might be partially them imitating the teachers who first taught them (as the majority of the people who work for the company are from the US)

Good point - they do go through quite a lot (mainly because it's typically people - like my mate - taking a year out from their regular employment).  I don't think there were any American teachers in either SK or NK whilst he was there - he said they were mostly Australian.

MidnightShambler

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on September 04, 2020, 09:23:38 PM
Just when I thought I couldn't hate Zoe Ball anymore then I already do, I read this.  I hate the way she always seems to have a possie of sycothants "whooping" at her no matter what she's doing.

You get the fucking pair of them on the same day on Radio 2 now, Sarah Cox comes on after 5pm. Luckily I've usually finished work by then but I didn't yesterday and I could have sworn I was back at the turn of the century, Andreas Jonsson and Sonique playing every fucking five minutes while 'Coxy' wanked on about not being able to get something she had as a child in Bolton in 2020 London. Stealing a living.

honeychile

Quote from: Uncle TechTip on September 04, 2020, 12:40:32 PM
Why don't we say Munchen or Parr-ee buty wanky football commentators say Zaragotha.

Zaragoza is in interesting example, given that the quoted half-hearted attempt which i've heard from commentators and the like is neither here nor there. "Tharagotha" makes sense, as does "Saragossa", as both reflect either common iberian or latin american pronunciations. There is actually a name for the speech pattern which would (inconsistently) reproduce "Zaragotha" (inconsistent, in that it would be equally likely to reproduce "Tharagossa"), but i forget the name of it.

I'm a bit of a cunt for reflexively pronouncing foreign-looking words in an approximation of what i assume to be the appropriate accent, to the point that i sometimes mispronounce english words because they look like a different foreign word.

ProvanFan

The Mollusk

Kia Ora, too orangey for crows

The Mollusk

Was about to say hey maybe I've gone a bit mental, but honestly, saying "mental" is a slur.

This isn't a joke post. It is a slur.

You might think it's a joke because it's framed like that, with the multiple lines, like this ^

But it's not.

I've got mental health issues and so do loads of people. I'm sick of equating a frenetic and wild film I saw with the term "mental" or even fucking "crazy" which is so often utilised as a misogynistic term.

WHAT'S MY POINT?

The Mollusk

if anyone wants to have a bash as what my point is and nails it, i will paypal you a tenner right here and right now. i'll be up the next couple hours so let's go

bgmnts

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 05, 2020, 12:49:53 AM
if anyone wants to have a bash as what my point is and nails it

9/11 was an inside job.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I'd love to nail your point, darling.

holyzombiejesus

People often compliment me on the (shitty cheap) pens I use at work and whenever they ask me where I got them from, I always forget myself and say 'Muji' in a really OTT Japanese accent and then mutter for fucks sake at myself.

ProvanFan

I said "fucking sick in the heid" on another forum yesterday and then wondered if I shouldn't be saying that. But it what's I meant! But I also could've just not posted anything. Die welträthsel.

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 04, 2020, 07:44:38 PM
A mate of mine who taught English in both North and South Korea said the same about his students.  Obviously in SK it's from American films and TV and all the big YouTube stars, but he could never figure out how they got to it in NK.  Perhaps the way East Asian languages are spoken naturally lead to American style English?

I remember on Radio Moscow in the 80's everyone spoke with a bit of an American twang, which slightly amused me.  I figured they probably learned from American English language tapes or from listening to Voice Of America.

paruses

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 04, 2020, 10:55:03 PM
Chorizo

Thank you. Thought it was going to be down to me to post the most appropriated word ever.

The Mollusk

woke up to this, typed in the quick reply at 3:30am. don't remember where i was going with it because i was pissed as fuck but i'm pretty sure i had fixed racism

JaDanketies

I say bouillon like a French person and my gf says jalapeno like a Spanish person.

El Unicornio, mang

There was an actual advert on TV a couple of years ago (for Walkers crisps or something) where they said "ja-la-peeno". I mean at least do the j part right.

JaDanketies

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 05, 2020, 12:36:07 PM
There was an actual advert on TV a couple of years ago (for Walkers crisps or something) where they said "ja-la-peeno". I mean at least do the j part right.

that might have been where I got it from. Jallapeenos. I will never change.

The Mollusk

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 05, 2020, 12:36:07 PM

Do you do the accent for your username?

The Mollusk

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 04, 2020, 07:29:30 PM
Some of my Chinese students speak with an American accent, does that mean they're racists?

The Boston Crab has relayed to tell you that yes, they are.

Marner and Me

I thought foreign people spoke English with an American accent due to the amount of TV shows and film they had watched.

JaDanketies

Quote from: Marner and Me on September 05, 2020, 02:34:25 PM
I thought foreign people spoke English with an American accent due to the amount of TV shows and film they had watched.

yeah they're just trying to get the pronunciation right. It's like being offended that someone attempts to speak French with a French accent rather than with a Quebecois accent, or even thinking it was notable.

RenegadeScrew

Quote from: Marner and Me on September 05, 2020, 02:34:25 PM

I think the accents of the US (even the generic TV ones) are easier for foreign speakers.  At least that's what I've been told by foreign English speakers.  I think the American's speak the language more phonetically, if that's a thing.

A lot of British accents seem to be short and stubby whereas the US accents are often drawn out.  Like 'nat-trully" i/o "nat-u-rally" or "cally-forn-ya" i/o "cali-forni-a".