Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:38:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Discovery S3

Started by Malcy, September 04, 2020, 05:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Not long till this is back. I'm really hoping it ditches the 'Saviour Burnham' shite and tells some interesting and competently written stories. Also really really hoping that there isn't a star shining in the window all the time as well. I think the whole show so far has been pretty poor so it would be nice for them to go in a new direction with it.

CBS have announced it will feature the first Non-Binary & Trans characters to which the general consensus seems to be 'who gives a fuck just be good'. I'm hoping for more diversity in accents more than anything else.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/09/02/star-trek-discovery-season-3-will-introduce-non-binary-and-transgender-characters/

There's a Star Trek day on the 8th with panels for the whole franchise so i reckon a new trailer will be shown as there's only been one and they released it twice.

Malcy

Trailer

https://youtube.com/watch?v=cYR4-jkoxtY

I wonder if the lack of Stars on the Federation flag is because those members were destroyed in whatever the 'Burn' was. I reckon they might do something big and wipe out loads of familiar things since there was an interview with the actress who plays Burnham banging on about making new canon or something. I can't remember but she kept saying canon over and over.

beanheadmcginty

Why do they copyright block / region lock trailers? Surely it's sound business sense to get your trailer spread as much as possible. Free advertising.

Nobody Soup

Quote from: Malcy on September 04, 2020, 05:42:03 PM

CBS have announced it will feature the first Non-Binary & Trans characters to which the general consensus seems to be 'who gives a fuck just be good'. I'm hoping for more diversity in accents more than anything else.

https://trekmovie.com/2020/09/02/star-trek-discovery-season-3-will-introduce-non-binary-and-transgender-characters/

I kinda thought there would be a trans character.

Sort of interested with how they've gone on this, don't see how a cis woman and a trans woman would be distinguishable in the future given all the gene and gender modding they routinely have in the show.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Malcy on September 08, 2020, 11:51:23 PM
I wonder if the lack of Stars on the Federation flag is because those members were destroyed in whatever the 'Burn' was. I reckon they might do something big and wipe out loads of familiar things since there was an interview with the actress who plays Burnham banging on about making new canon or something. I can't remember but she kept saying canon over and over.

Yeah you're right. That's probably exactly what's happened: "We're not being edgy enough. Let's say there was a giant cataclysm that killed trillions of people and wiped out some core Federation worlds (especially Vulcan, cos we hate them so much). Cos we didn't do that already on a smaller scale in the reboot movies and Picard or anything. That's what Star Trek needs as it's bold new setting."

Prior to this I had presumed that the reduced number of stars which had been leaked before was because of some sort of split in the Federation. And the bit that's still calling itself the Federation is much reduced.

Chairman Yang

Not to be that guy already but unless 'The Burn' is slang for some sort of political schism that happened as a result of mass social unrest then it will be the wrong choice.

Edit: Oh it'll be because Burnham is called Burnham and she's ultimately responsible (again)

Cloud

Season 2 was pretty good IMO, so we'll see....

Giant cataclysm is how things like Everquest and World of Warcraft have moved on when they've been bogged down with increasingly complex and intertwined lore and locations that they have to keep remaking in a way that everyone remembers from decades ago.  Wouldn't surprise me at all - it's a good way to escape the problem that's held back Trek for so long and forced parallel universe spinoffs and such.  Hopefully the cataclysm includes whatever shite they made the Klingons this time.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Cloud on September 10, 2020, 12:46:56 AM
Season 2 was pretty good IMO, so we'll see....

Giant cataclysm is how things like Everquest and World of Warcraft have moved on when they've been bogged down with increasingly complex and intertwined lore and locations that they have to keep remaking in a way that everyone remembers from decades ago.  Wouldn't surprise me at all - it's a good way to escape the problem that's held back Trek for so long and forced parallel universe spinoffs and such.  Hopefully the cataclysm includes whatever shite they made the Klingons this time.
Or, they could just tell a new story. Or hire writers who are able to build on the history of Star Trek (which isn't that complicated, really).

apopheniac

Quote from: Chairman Yang on September 09, 2020, 04:30:53 PM
Edit: Oh it'll be because Burnham is called Burnham and she's ultimately responsible (again)

This hadn't occurred to me, but now it seems obvious and I hate it so much.

I liked the idea of moving forward so they can tell their own story (because I got so bored with the attempt to keep it canon), but having some mystery box disaster seems like the wrong way to go about it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: apopheniac on September 11, 2020, 03:57:10 AM
This hadn't occurred to me, but now it seems obvious and I hate it so much.

I liked the idea of moving forward so they can tell their own story (because I got so bored with the attempt to keep it canon), but having some mystery box disaster seems like the wrong way to go about it.
Not having a dig at you, particularly, but:

"We really want to make new Star Trek shows"
to
"Actually making them follow on from previous Star Trek shows was boring us, though, so we just binned all that off, apart from the names of the alien races and the famous characters"

There's nothing difficult about writing new shows or stories set in the same universe as the previous Star Treks. It's just, despite the enormous popularity of the original TV shows, people in TV now seem desperate to make it all about conflicts between the characters, and big space battles, and the same old shit as in every other genre series. Way too much of the new stuff feels like it was written by people who didn't like any of the previous versions of Star Trek.

13 schoolyards

It's amazing how difficult it seems to be to find writers who can tell a story that's basically "we're in a spaceship, we've found something strange and possibly dangerous, now we have to work together to get out of this situation".

You'd think the combination of crazy space shit and a team of likable characters actually helping each other out would be as close to a sure-fire success as mainstream television gets these days - it's basically a procedural, only about something interesting - but there's clearly zero desire to make that show.

apopheniac

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 11, 2020, 07:01:23 PM
Not having a dig at you, particularly, but:

"We really want to make new Star Trek shows"
to
"Actually making them follow on from previous Star Trek shows was boring us, though, so we just binned all that off, apart from the names of the alien races and the famous characters"

There's nothing difficult about writing new shows or stories set in the same universe as the previous Star Treks. It's just, despite the enormous popularity of the original TV shows, people in TV now seem desperate to make it all about conflicts between the characters, and big space battles, and the same old shit as in every other genre series. Way too much of the new stuff feels like it was written by people who didn't like any of the previous versions of Star Trek.

I don't want to bin anything, but I think it's a lot more freeing when I don't have to wonder "why the hell didn't this ever get mentioned, seems like maybe it was important".

Hopefully setting it in the future means there's more sense of an undiscovered frontier, much like Voyager had with the Delta Quadrant. I admit that I'm probably being too optimistic about it, given the fight scenes and the space battles, though.

I'd never thought about it as a procedural (always figured it was more of an anthology thing), but that makes a lot of sense. I'd definitely watch that show with more enthusiasm than I would another story about how the world is super dark and apparently characters have to be ignored in favour of an over-arching plot that ultimately goes nowhere.

Malcy

First ep was ok. Burnham is still a pain in the arse though. And now we know what 'The Burn' was.

Spoiler alert
"when all the Dilithium went boom". Eh?

Best bit was the guy at the end getting to finally put his flag up.

And if you can recrystallise Dilithium like has been done in the past, doesn't that make the whole idea of not enough Dilithium to go anywhere a bit redundant? The Romulans used a quantum singularity to power their ships. Why can't the rest of the galaxy just use them instead? Pretty sure not every race used Dilithium to get about.
[close]

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on October 15, 2020, 10:46:39 AM

Spoiler alert
[close]

Do all Star Trek characters talk like Pakleds now?

Sounds like they are tackling climate change. I bet they fuck it up more than TNG did.

Old Nehamkin

Gonna watch this just to see what Saru is up to. He's my favourite!

Alberon

Quote from: Malcy on October 15, 2020, 10:46:39 AM
First ep was ok. Burnham is still a pain in the arse though. And now we know what 'The Burn' was.

Spoiler alert

Best bit was the guy at the end getting to finally put his flag up.

And if you can recrystallise Dilithium like has been done in the past, doesn't that make the whole idea of not enough Dilithium to go anywhere a bit redundant? The Romulans used a quantum singularity to power their ships. Why can't the rest of the galaxy just use them instead? Pretty sure not every race used Dilithium to get about.
[close]

I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch this series. They've screwed up continuity around the time of TOS, now they completely fuck with the far future.

That explanation spoilered there makes absolutely no fucking sense.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on October 15, 2020, 10:41:51 PM
I'm not sure I can bring myself to watch this series. They've screwed up continuity around the time of TOS, now they completely fuck with the far future.

That explanation spoilered there makes absolutely no fucking sense.

There was a theory going round that the Burn was
Spoiler alert
the detonation of Omega particles, seen in Voyager & Armada the pc game
[close]
which would have made sense. Not the one line inexplicable shite we got.

greenman

Quote from: Chairman Yang on September 09, 2020, 04:30:53 PM
Not to be that guy already but unless 'The Burn' is slang for some sort of political schism that happened as a result of mass social unrest then it will be the wrong choice.

She leaves the Sunday roast in the oven too long and it evolved into a super AI?

Chairman Yang

Just imagining some guy cutting about town in chainmail going 'What news from the Battle of Hastings?!' and the first guy he meets being like 'Yeah... mate, fucking... I don't know' and it being played straight, for drama.

Chairman Yang

One day most of the horses just went 'boom'

Mobbd

I just read a synopsis of the first episode. Burnham arrives in the future and someone explains to her what happened to the Federation. Sounds exactly like an Enterprise episode called Shockwave. It was shit, I seem to recall.

I got this synopsis from Netflix and there was a picture above it (though I think it was from a season 2 episode). It had a bunch of characters in action movie postures and one of them was a Morn. Guys. Did they really "put a Morn in it"? I think I might have dreamed this and I don't actually know if I've woken up yet.

Malcy

Quote from: Mobbd on October 16, 2020, 02:30:58 PM
I just read a synopsis of the first episode. Burnham arrives in the future and someone explains to her what happened to the Federation. Sounds exactly like an Enterprise episode called Shockwave. It was shit, I seem to recall.

I got this synopsis from Netflix and there was a picture above it (though I think it was from a season 2 episode). It had a bunch of characters in action movie postures and one of them was a Morn. Guys. Did they really "put a Morn in it"? I think I might have dreamed this and I don't actually know if I've woken up yet.

Yeah a Lurian, there was a couple of them I think. This is set about 100 years after Shockwave's future set scenes. The Temporal Cold War gets a mention as well but it sounded like the Tempura War so i had to rewind it a couple of times. The Andorians are looking even pointier with the costume department adding to the design again. Look a bit silly. I read there was a Cardassia as well but I didn't see him.

Nobody Soup

Hurrah, literally the first reference to the trek universe is a continuity error. Hate to be be that sort of nerd but it just shows how little the writers give a fuck about the universe. (Michael knew about Gorn despite first contact not happening until after discovery is set)

Malcy

S4 confirmed.

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/10/star-trek-discovery-season-4-renewal-announcement/
Quote from: Nobody Soup on October 16, 2020, 07:59:45 PM
Hurrah, literally the first reference to the trek universe is a continuity error. Hate to be be that sort of nerd but it just shows how little the writers give a fuck about the universe. (Michael knew about Gorn despite first contact not happening until after discovery is set)

Good spot. I don't think it matters where in time they set it, they're always going to trip up.

Lemming

Not enjoying any of this anymore but I'm on board anyway, of course. Watched the first episode in a kind of stupor, oh, we're in a Blade Runner place now, oh, the heroes are vaporising people? Alright then. Now there's a worm, fine. Being a Star Trek fan is endless punishment.

Could pick up, but not much hope, especially since the trailer at the end was just another bunch of fights and shootouts.

Martin-Green is a really good actor, this was probably her strongest episode. Just a shame she's stuck with a character that currently doesn't really make sense or have any kind of strong personality.

Nobody Soup

I did not enjoy that at all. buuuut the first episodes of discovery season one were bad so I'm going to withhold judgement until the show finds it's feet. I do actually think there are some good characters to work with (reno, stammets and saru are legit great trek characters), just sadly not burnham. She's a good actor and got to show her range but I don't think a raised vulcan would go about punching people in the face and it all seems a bit stupid.

I blame picard's finale really, the first 2 seasons of discovery were alright in places, and I wanted to like the new stuff but the ending of picard made me just lose hope in this new era stuff so I'm pretty skeptical, especially with such a bad intro. too many cool fight scenes instead of things that made... sense.

pretty much echoing what Lemming said I think.

but it was kind of fun there was a morn alien featured.

olliebean

The fact that it seems to be even more Burnham-centric than before, and the fact that it looks like the whole series is going to be about rebuilding the fucking Empire Federation, don't exactly fill me with anticipation.

Cloud

My review:

I felt things
10/10

Also, Burnham sure loves to punch.
But yeah great start IMO.

Wonderful Butternut

That was decent, not brilliant. Best part was Burnham loopy on drugs.

Really didn't feel anything like Star Trek, but aside from the fact that I'm blue in the feckin' face making that remark about Star Trek these days, hopefully they'll move towards solving that during the series.

They need to get the whole Federation rebuilding thing right. Whilst I want to see some hope and positivity after the last couple of years of grimdark, and did take to Sahil a bit,
Spoiler alert
having a character who has diligently sat at a desk on a Federation relay station for 40 years like his father and grandfather without ever encountering another Starfleet officer
[close]
because of his belief in Federation ideals is a bit contrived.

Also, whatever wonderful technology exists, surely it's more resource efficient for him to have physical furniture rather than stuff that's either holographic, or is continuously replicated and then recycled?

beanheadmcginty

Wasn't that whole diligently waiting in an office for contact from someone who never turns up bit very reminiscent of the Battlestar Galactica pilot?