Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:13:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Discovery S3

Started by Malcy, September 04, 2020, 05:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Was
Spoiler alert
using Book's ship to attack the baddies technically a false flag operation
[close]
and therefore grossly illegal? Tilly is really earning that promotion.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on December 05, 2020, 01:11:18 PM
Was
Spoiler alert
using Book's ship to attack the baddies not technically a false flag operation
[close]
and therefore grossly illegal? Tilly is really earning that promotion.

Ultimately irrelevant because Osyraa didn't buy it. But yeah. Dodge.

And her promotion seems to consist of being Saru's PA rather than
Spoiler alert
First Officer
[close]

Camp Tramp

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on December 05, 2020, 01:12:46 PM
Ultimately irrelevant because Osyraa didn't buy it. But yeah. Dodge.

And her promotion seems to consist of being Saru's PA rather than
Spoiler alert
First Officer
[close]

Not that the show had much credibility anyway, but that particular development seems absurd to me.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Camp Tramp on December 05, 2020, 02:47:09 PM
Not that the show had much credibility anyway, but that particular development seems absurd to me.

Definitely.

Malcy

Good episode this week. Probably only let down by the last few minutes.

Spoiler alert
There's been a lot of speculation as to which ship it was in the nebula. Saw everything from Discovery from the 'Calypso' Short Trek to the Kelvin-verse Enterprise. The latter was mainly due to the clip that was released from the beginning of the episode featuring a TNG era Kelvin officer.

Future Federation seem to have knowledge about what Nero's ship caused after the destruction of Romulus.

Adira spending ages trying to fix the frozen transmission only to be told she had basically paused it was a bit stupid.

I got a huge Q vibe from the cigar smoking, bowler hat wearing, newspaper reading man that appeared out of nowhere on the planet. Liked him. Hope we see more.

Was a bit exciting being back in the MU which was a surprise as I didn't like any of that stuff back in S1. I wonder if she is really back there or is it a Q simulation or something.

Still no idea what caused The Burn but it has to be related to the Dilithium Nursery whatever that is. I knew it was a 2 parter and when Lorca kept getting mentioned I really thought the big cliffhanger would be him turning up. But no, it was all about Burnham and her horrendous overacting in the last scene.

Georgiou's time in the Prime universe has done her a lot of good it seems but it's probably not going to last if remaining in the Prime universe is going to kill her fairly quickly.
[close]

Think there is only 3 or 4 episodes left. Interested to see where they're going to go with it all.

cakeinmilk

Oh really? I found the
Spoiler alert
return to the MU
[close]
the most boring development the show has done so far.

Malcy

Quote from: cakeinmilk on December 10, 2020, 01:03:21 PM
Oh really? I found the
Spoiler alert
return to the MU
[close]
the most boring development the show has done so far.

It just had a bit of energy about it which is something the show usually lacks so it was a welcome change.

Worth going to the bottom of this article for a better look at
Spoiler alert
the newspaper the man was reading. Author of the article seems to think it is The Guardian Of Forever but I'm not convinced so far.
[close]

http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/12/star-trek-discovery-review-terra-firma-part-1/

cakeinmilk

Quote from: Malcy on December 10, 2020, 02:42:17 PM
It just had a bit of energy about it which is something the show usually lacks so it was a welcome change.

Oh it may have had energy and I liked the
Spoiler alert
TOS feel of the old man in the snow
[close]
in the opening minutes but I still don't care about any of these characters or the redemption of Space Hitler. It's a diversion from the main drive of the season's plot and not in a way that develops any of the main cast besides the one who's leaving for her own show.

Wonderful Butternut

Dear Star Trek Writers,

The
Spoiler alert
Mirror Universe
[close]
is boring and shit. Please stop writing about it.

Yours,

Mr. W. Butternut Esq.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on December 10, 2020, 02:42:17 PM
Worth going to the bottom of this article for a better look at
Spoiler alert
the newspaper the man was reading. Author of the article seems to think it is The Guardian Of Forever but I'm not convinced so far.
[close]

Spoiler alert
The Star Dispatch
[close]
apparently.
Spoiler alert

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on December 10, 2020, 12:22:26 PM
Spoiler alert
a TNG era Kelvin officer.
[close]

Malcy's synopses always intrigue me and I sometimes get sucked into reading about recent Disco antics on Memory Alpha. This item particularly caught my interest. The uniform is lovely to see but wtf? Apparently continuity is important now that we're travelling around in time. Almost as if inheriting and maintaining a coherent fictional universe would pay dividends. Who would have thought it?

Malcy

Not a lot to say about that one.

Spoiler alert
Guardian Of Forever bit was good.

Georgiou leaving is a bit of a shame as apart from Saru I don't find any other characters that interesting. Wonder where and when she ends up for her spin-off. The Guardian was a bit vague about everything.

They can't fuck right off if Burnham becomes captain somehow. Hope that wasn't foreshadowing by Georgiou.

Looks like we might find out who the main villain of the series is next week.
[close]

I thought we were going to get an alternative MU intro like ENT had for the 'In A Mirror Darkly' 2 parter but it was just the same as usual in blue and everything upside down which was quite shit and lazy. The ENT one was great.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=Tgp5uQrLDO8

The
Spoiler alert
toast at the end really lacked someone saying 'to mass murdering psychopaths everywhere! Down the hatch!'
[close]

Wonderful Butternut

That was absolute pig shit. Potentially one of the worst episodes of Trek made.

Bently Sheds

Did I miss it, or did we get a bit where Space Hitler tells Burnham that she's "the best of us" this week?

PlanktonSideburns

Yea this

She didn't genocide anyone while I was around: a good bunch of lads!

Stuff is pretty weird isn't it?

Wonderful Butternut

It's fucking Georgiou's deep feels monologue overlaid over a montage of Mirror Burnham being tortured that does it for me.

What in the merry fuck? Is the purpose to show that Georgiou's developed into a more sensitive person from her year or so in the Prime Universe? It doesn't work when she's reciting it as we see someone being tortured under her orders until they're broken
Spoiler alert
or at least fake being broken
[close]
. And I certainly don't care about the plight of Mirror Burnham or any of the other shallow caricatured mirror versions of the crew.

Malcy

So The Burn was caused by
Spoiler alert
a Kelpian stranded on a planet made of Dilithium who got a bit emotional and let out a big blue shockwave thing that blew up all the Dilithium in the galaxy because he had been in contact with it so long. Even as I just typed that it makes even less sense. He would have been about 5 the first time it happened.
[close]

Not a fucking clue.

Best bit -
Spoiler alert
Saru as a human. Always enjoy seeing characters out of prosthetics in Trek. Tilly in command was great too. Took no shit.
[close]

Worst bits -
Spoiler alert
The piss easy taking over of Discovery, Grey returning & Burnham being a right bastard about Saru's ability to be captain.
[close]

Alberon

Quote from: Malcy on December 24, 2020, 12:21:23 PM
So The Burn was caused by
Spoiler alert
a Kelpian stranded on a planet made of Dilithium who got a bit emotional and let out a big blue shockwave thing that blew up all the Dilithium in the galaxy because he had been in contact with it so long. Even as I just typed that it makes even less sense. He would have been about 5 the first time it happened.
[close]

Not a fucking clue.

I'm so glad I bailed on this season.

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on December 24, 2020, 12:21:23 PM
Best bit -
Spoiler alert
Saru as a human. Always enjoy seeing characters out of prosthetics in Trek.
[close]

Me too, but can you tell us briefly what this is about?
Spoiler alert
Is it a straightforward cosmetic make-over for undercover business or similar, like when Troi was working behind Romulan lines?
[close]
I'm asking because I miss the simplicity of this sort of thing from real Trek and one of the things I disliked in Season 1 of Disco was how
Spoiler alert
surgically and psychologically brutal it was to make a Klingon pass as a human
[close]
when that sort of thing is technologically relatively easy (and therefore awesome and not pointlessly harrowing) in real Trek.

Mobbd

Quote from: Alberon on December 24, 2020, 02:54:11 PM
I'm so glad I bailed on this season.

Amen to that. And yet, if I'm honest, I'm sad to be missing out. I feel left behind and left out. Childish and pathetic I know, but I remember when there were three or four Trek productions on the go in the '90s and it was thrilling.

I know I could join in but CBS Trek makes my skin crawl. Can't do it.

Malcy

Quote from: Mobbd on December 24, 2020, 03:43:51 PM
Me too, but can you tell us briefly what this is about?
Spoiler alert
Is it a straightforward cosmetic make-over for undercover business or similar, like when Troi was working behind Romulan lines?
[close]
I'm asking because I miss the simplicity of this sort of thing from real Trek and one of the things I disliked in Season 1 of Disco was how
Spoiler alert
surgically and psychologically brutal it was to make a Klingon pass as a human
[close]
when that sort of thing is technologically relatively easy (and therefore awesome and not pointlessly harrowing) in real Trek.

It was due to
Spoiler alert
the Kelpian on the planet not ever seeing anyone who isn't part of a holodeck program he has grown up in. Saru, Culber and of course fucking Burnham beam down and when they get there Saru looks and appears to feel human noting that his feet fully touch the ground and he gets a bit afraid at being at a huge height,, Culber is Bajoran & Burnham is Trill.

Don't know why changing their appearance makes any difference but it does apparently.
[close]

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on December 24, 2020, 04:24:54 PM
It was due to
Spoiler alert
the Kelpian on the planet not ever seeing anyone who isn't part of a holodeck program he has grown up in. Saru, Culber and of course fucking Burnham beam down and when they get there Saru looks and appears to feel human noting that his feet fully touch the ground and he gets a bit afraid at being at a huge height,, Culber is Bajoran & Burnham is Trill.

Don't know why changing their appearance makes any difference but it does apparently.
[close]

Um. So it's an effect
Spoiler alert
native to that holoworld? Or cosmetic changes done in Discovery's sickbay so as not to freak the Kelpian?
[close]

Malcy

Quote from: Mobbd on December 24, 2020, 04:38:56 PM
Um. So it's an effect
Spoiler alert
native to that holoworld? Or cosmetic changes done in Discovery's sickbay so as not to freak the Kelpian?
[close]

Spoiler alert
He lives in a holodeck on a crashed Kelpian Ship. I think the holodeck changed their appearance when they arrived.
[close]

Wonderful Butternut

Oh for fuck's sake.

Spoiler alert
Why oh fucking why, did they hang around outside the nebula with Osyraa there? They don't need to. They can jump out with their magical spore drive and then jump back in at the 4 hour point when they have to pick up the away team. Actually if they wanted to fuck with her, they could just repeatedly jump out of her weapon's range until she gives up chasing them around in a circle. Shit, that's what I'd do. That's what should've happened in Discovery, Starfleet should've appointed me first officer after Burnham was demoted so I could tell the crew they're all fucking thick.

Also Tilly said she'd destroy Discovery before letting Osyraa capture it. But when they board she doesn't even try to activate the auto-destruct.
[close]

And
Spoiler alert
a lifeform being able to alter their cellular structure or DNA or whatever mis-use of scientific terms they engaged in today, to the degree that they can send out subspace shockwaves that destroy most of the dilithium in the galaxy simply because they were in utero in a radioactive and dilithium filled environment is not how science works. Complex, sentient lifeforms cannot evolve changes like that in a single generation and you do not gain superpowers from high levels of radiation. You get and sick and die.
[close]
A worthy recipient of The Threshold Award for Scientific Excellence.

Also the ship crashed hundreds of years ago and the distress signal was 125 years ago, right? How old is the "child"?

surreal

I've just never really understood why there is nothing to prevent unauthorised people just transporting on to the ships tbh, must be a way to block that

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: surreal on December 27, 2020, 04:07:57 PM
I've just never really understood why there is nothing to prevent unauthorised people just transporting on to the ships tbh, must be a way to block that

They uninvented shields and transport inhibitors some time between the 24th and 32nd centuries.

Malcy

Didn't really move any further on the plot this week.

Spoiler alert
Discovery still under Ossira's control at Federation HQ.

Best bit was the Admiral explaining how the replicated apple was made of shit.
[close]

Last one next week. The trailer shows a glimpse of
Spoiler alert
all the Starfleet ships attacking Discovery. The Voyager-J can be seen so hopefully get a better look at it.
[close]

Wonderful Butternut

That was decent in the respect that it was actually coherent.

Wonder what Osyraa is up to.
Spoiler alert
Presumably the offer of uniting the Chain and the Federation is either a complete red herring from her, or there's an extra 'condition' to come that effectively subsumes the Fed into the Chain. At first I thought she'd just tricked the lie detector hologram, but since it did catch her out on who'd represent the Chain, it would seem she's meant to be telling the truth. At least partly.
[close]

Not sure what to make of Stamets / Burnham.
Spoiler alert
Burnham is right (as usual...) to prioritise getting the Chain off Discovery. But you think she might have told Stamets that Saru & Co. have a day or two because of the extra radiation meds Adira brought.
[close]

Nobody Soup

I've stopped watching this now, even if everyone was raving about it it would just be because some people got phasered in a cool way. Being shite it probably held my interest longer because at least I was interested in seeing how annoyed the writing would make me each week.