Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:27:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Discovery S3

Started by Malcy, September 04, 2020, 05:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on October 18, 2020, 02:08:18 PM
Wasn't that whole diligently waiting in an office for contact from someone who never turns up bit very reminiscent of the Battlestar Galactica pilot?

Makes sense that they'd lift ideas from any IP other than Star Trek to make Star Trek.

Sorry, I'm getting very bitter.

JamesTC

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on October 18, 2020, 05:24:40 PM
Makes sense that they'd lift ideas from any IP other than Star Trek to make Star Trek.

Sorry, I'm getting very bitter.

They mentioned Gorn again. What more do you want?

Malcy

Wasn't that bad this week. The crew are still the most boring the franchise has ever had. Saru is the only interesting one really. The engineer just drains the life out of every scene she's in with that voice.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Malcy on October 22, 2020, 01:13:11 PM
Wasn't that bad this week. The crew are still the most boring the franchise has ever had. Saru is the only interesting one really. The engineer just drains the life out of every scene she's in with that voice.

Jett or Tilly? Jett is awesome. Too bad that they'll probably overuse and ruin her.

So it looks like
Spoiler alert
the episodes will alternate between Burnham's year long quest to find her crewmates and what they do once she found them. This isn't going to be annoying. Like no way.
[close]
And more ominous foreshadowing of a crewmember with something wrong with them. Let's see how long they manage to keep that going before they can't resist the big reveal this time. I'm going 2 episodes.

Malcy

Reno I think her name is. Tilly is 50/50 at times.

Malcy

There's still a couple of things in this I don't like but it's been a lot better this series.

Spoiler alert
Trill symbiote in a human? Didn't think that was possible. Probably going to be Dax.

The shot of a load of ships just hanging about in space then exploding was stupid. As was the explanation that the Federation had tried to find new propulsion methods and failed. And the explanation that Earth had left the Federation in case they got attacked. Fuck off.
[close]

Episode 7 is apparently called
Spoiler alert
Unification III. Interested to see why.
[close]

Alberon

Got no interest to watch this, so I'm just reading the spoilers.

Quote from: Malcy on October 29, 2020, 12:41:13 PM

Episode 7 is apparently called
Spoiler alert
Unification III. Interested to see why.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Sequel to the TNG two-parter where the Romulans are trying to take over Vulcan?
[close]
I hope not.

JamesTC

Spoiler alert
Trill symbiote in a human? Didn't think that was possible. Probably going to be Dax.
[close]

Spoiler alert
To be fair, the first Trill episode had Riker with one in him.
[close]

Spoiler alert

And the explanation that Earth had left the Federation in case they got attacked. Fuck off.
[close]

Spoiler alert
New Star Trek writers have one idea that they pass around to each other. It is an idea done 20 times better across multiple Enterprise Season 4 stories so what is the fucking point in this shit.
[close]

Much like Alberon, I have no interest in watching New Trek. I stopped with Discovery after the episode with the horrid security officer being mauled by that alien after she was a dick to it sometime in Season 1. I rewatched the Enterprise Vulcan reformation three-parter a few days ago. I love watching Star Trek that understands
Spoiler alert
that the xenophobes aren't supposed to be the good guys. How the fuck have both Discovery and Picard both done the same fucking thing and been so badly written to accidentally justify the actions of a bunch of racists?
[close]

Lemming

Having trouble working up the will to watch this, and also forgot it existed. Gave episode 2 a shot and
Spoiler alert
laughed at the evil guy's Pain Phaser*, which is just a regular phaser except it really hurts instead of killing you instantly.
[close]
More violence too, they can't seem to write an episode that doesn't end with a body count as high as an entire season of TNG (if not much higher - like 20 people died in the first episode of S3, which I think is more than the heroes killed over all of TNG, not counting ship explosions). Other than the violence, even if the show isn't as offensively bad as the first season was, there's just almost nothing to keep me watching.

I think I'm past the "i better watch this just because it's called Star Trek" phase. Might wait until all the episodes are out and then plow through it at 2x speed, lending the show a sense of levity from the chipmunk voices and super-fast fight scenes.

*to be clear to anyone not watching along, it is not actually referred to as this on screen

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on October 29, 2020, 05:13:18 PM
Spoiler alert
To be fair, the first Trill episode had Riker with one in him.
[close]

I was putting that down to an emergency or something as I haven't seen that episode in years. This is long-term which I thought DS9 maybe said was impossible.

Mobbd

Quote from: Alberon on October 29, 2020, 04:59:19 PM
Got no interest to watch this, so I'm just reading the spoilers.

Heh. Same.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on October 29, 2020, 05:34:41 PM
I was putting that down to an emergency or something as I haven't seen that episode in years. This is long-term which I thought DS9 maybe said was impossible.

I guess citing the TNG episode is kind of a cheat. That episode also
Spoiler alert
states that transporters damage Trill.
[close]

But of course if I didn't cite it then the tedious cunts who post that GIF of the parasite being killed in Conspiracy in order to justify the violence in Discovery would have posted it on Twitter instead.

Malcy

Quote from: JamesTC on October 29, 2020, 06:19:21 PM
I guess citing the TNG episode is kind of a cheat. That episode also
Spoiler alert
states that transporters damage Trill.
[close]

But of course if I didn't cite it then the tedious cunts who post that GIF of the parasite being killed in Conspiracy in order to justify the violence in Discovery would have posted it on Twitter instead.

I don't even think they had spots in that episode did they? I might as well lose the spoiler tags if I'm the only one sticking with it! I'll be sure to keep everyone updated!

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Malcy on October 29, 2020, 06:43:11 PM
I don't even think they had spots in that episode did they? I might as well lose the spoiler tags if I'm the only one sticking with it! I'll be sure to keep everyone updated!

He had a funny nose and forehead protrusions. They tried a more subtle variation of them on Terry Farrell for DS9 and decided it didn't work (specifically some concern about her not being pretty anymore) so they switched to the spots.

olliebean

How come Netflix seems to be getting this a day late this season?

Wonderful Butternut

That episode was... fucking bizarre. It wasn't bad. It wasn't good. It was just like "what the fuck...?"

Spoiler alert
Earth didn't know the raiders were other humans from Titan because they destroyed the first ship they sent. So they presumably just blasted it out of orbit without hailing them. But they did hail Discovery, and have obviously communicated with the Titan humans since they started raiding Earth dilithium whilst wearing the scary alien mask. Why? Why didn't they talk to them the first time when they were peaceful, but did hail Discovery? And why did the Titan humans even bother with the scary alien mask if they weren't expecting to be hailed?
[close]

Did not make a lick of sense.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Not to get bogged down in canon, but can dilithium not simply be replicated? I know latinum can't, for reasons of dramatic convenience, but I don't remember any indication that dilithium was a commodity.

Wonderful Butternut

Dilithium mining is mentioned a few times over various Star Trek series, and I don't think any other method of acquiring it is ever brought up. Presumably it's some sort of naturally occurring element that's too complex or something to be replicated.

Dropshadow

You know something.......... I'm quite liking this series so far. Relatively, I mean. Episode 3 was really good, I thought. Minus Tilly, the blond guy that done Kevin Spacey in and that wisecracking short-haired brunette engineer it would have been even better, but you can't have everything. And "Michael"...... what a difference a hairstyle makes. Along with the lighter personality, she's at last turning into a character I can like. It'll all go back to shite, I know, but I can hope.

Nobody Soup

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 31, 2020, 11:48:27 PM
Not to get bogged down in canon, but can dilithium not simply be replicated? I know latinum can't, for reasons of dramatic convenience, but I don't remember any indication that dilithium was a commodity.

I don't think so, it's used to power replicators. I'm not up on all the science of trek, there's loads I haven't watched but I'm pretty sure one of voyagers recurring themes was having to trade/explore to acquire dilithium. The famous (ish) "there's coffee in that nebula." comes from voyager finding a source of dilithium.

olliebean

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on October 31, 2020, 11:48:27 PM

Wikipedia has it covered:

Quote from: WikipediaThough low-quality artificial crystals can be grown or replicated, they are limited in the power of the reaction they can regulate without fragmenting, and are therefore largely unsuitable for warp drive applications.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Fair enough. Can't blame me for not remembering Voyager.

Quote from: Dropshadow on November 01, 2020, 01:30:52 AM
You know something.......... I'm quite liking this series so far. Relatively, I mean. Episode 3 was really good, I thought. Minus Tilly, the blond guy that done Kevin Spacey in and that wisecracking short-haired brunette engineer it would have been even better, but you can't have everything[./quote]

They're all quite annoying (especially Tilly, the Whedon fan fic character) but at least they have some personality - even with Tig Notaro's utterly wooden acting. They should have got Jane Lynch to play that character.

Saru brokering peace felt like proper Trek, even if it was based on Burnham being all loose cannon

Nobody Soup

I actually really like Reno, one thing discovery does have going for it I think, is that it has some light touch characters who are just there to be funny, overall the cast is fairly strong, even if I'm getting wesley vibes from this adira character.

the main problem is burnham being the main character means everything feels too focused on her when before, even if the captain is the main star, at least it felt like a crew effort when they saved the day. Discovery needs to constantly have everyone take a back seat to their science officer running rogue. I wish they'd just go all out and relegate her to a supporting cast member instead of re-inventing her character and hoping people like that better.

Mobbd

Quote from: Nobody Soup on November 02, 2020, 05:38:53 AM
I actually really like Reno

Just out of interest, is Tig Notaro on the main titles now or is she still guest cast?

Nobody Soup

Quote from: Mobbd on November 02, 2020, 01:45:55 PM
Just out of interest, is Tig Notaro on the main titles now or is she still guest cast?

I'm sure she was "special guest star" in the main titles.

Nobody Soup

here is how I'd rate the cast.

Saru A- : the 20 year old brazilian kid your manager has refused to start in the big games for 2 seasons but now is getting a run. as a captain he's in the company of the most iconic trek characters and has a lot to do to feel even comparable to Picard, Kirk, Janeway or Sisko but he would be one of the good characters in any of the series.

Stamets B+ : another very solid character, definitely not an all-star chief engineer but still well played and engaging.

Tilly B- : kind of annoying but at least she's not one of the no personality do nothings like chakotay, kim or mayweather.

Culber D- : pretty irritating and shit.

Nahn  B (definite scope to be good, but also to be poor)- not done much, apparently main cast now, not just recurring but I think she's got potential. Certainly doesn't seem like she'll be a week link and already kinda interesting. Kinda shown up Owosekun and Detmer as they're still noted as "recurring" when they seem more established. she definitely seems to have more charisma than both.

Georgiou A- : She's a bit silly but definitely a fun character to have around, not anywhere near as nuanced and real feeling as Garak, who she seems to be in the lineage of, but he's one of the best characters ever so that's ok.

Owosekun and Detmer C- : just doing these two at the same time because they seem equally nondescript. Detmer has a funny metal head thing so is slightly more interesting seeming but not really.

Reno A : obviously this isn't the consensus, but the dry put downs and sarcasm kind of mark her out in franchise history. seems to have good chemistry with whoever she's put with, just please don't try and give her some story line that makes her look like a totally broken sad sack. she's already had a lot of bad stuff happen to her and her stoic attitude to it is refreshingly different in the blubby eye generation.

Cornwell A : super small role as a recurring admiral figure but maybe one of my favourites in that role ever.

Burnham D- : the reason the show struggles. now re-invented as a super sensitive bad ass. poor book is following Ash in to being dragged down in to her total lack of chemistry with anyone (though Ash was a flat out appalling character and the only reason Burnham doesn't get an F is because that grade must be reserved for him).

Adira, Book and Gray : don't know, the adira seen gave me wesley vibes, (and what was with the daft "curious elf" music they played when she was on screen?), Book is a bit too much "super cool streetwise lad" and seems bland but it would be unfair to judge too early, fingers crossed Gray is interesting.

Malcy

That's an hour of my life I'll never get back. Absolute shite.

Wonderful Butternut

Prime opportunity to have Burnham take a back seat for 50 minutes, but nah. She has to accompany Adira to Trill cos reasons. Can they not fucking see how bad that is?

Other than that the episode was basically inane and pointless. Unless
Spoiler alert
they actually put some effort and decent writing into Detmer's PTSD going forward rather than just handwave it or never mention it again
[close]
to make that plot into a start point for something worth telling.

Mobbd

Quote from: Nobody Soup on November 02, 2020, 02:34:29 PM
Saru A- : the 20 year old brazilian kid your manager has refused to start in the big games for 2 seasons but now is getting a run. as a captain he's in the company of the most iconic trek characters and has a lot to do to feel even comparable to Picard, Kirk, Janeway or Sisko but he would be one of the good characters in any of the series.

He's in the captain's chair now? Isn't he more of a ready-made science officer? To do the Spock/Data-type stuff? A skeptical, rational, gentle ectomorph?

Quote from: Nobody Soup on November 02, 2020, 02:34:29 PM
Tilly B- : kind of annoying but at least she's not one of the no personality do nothings like chakotay, kim or mayweather.

Fair.

I'm still not watching, by the way, but I'm impressed by how I don't know half the characters in this list. Season 3 really is a do-over/reboot, isn't it?

olliebean

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on November 07, 2020, 09:26:19 AM
Prime opportunity to have Burnham take a back seat for 50 minutes, but nah. She has to accompany Adira to Trill cos reasons. Can they not fucking see how bad that is?

Yep; clear case of the writers having decided (or been told) that she's the star, so having to find something for her to do even in a plot that's really got nothing to do with her.