Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:56:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Discovery S3

Started by Malcy, September 04, 2020, 05:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Mobbd on November 07, 2020, 11:27:43 AM
He's in the captain's chair now? Isn't he more of a ready-made science officer? To do the Spock/Data-type stuff? A skeptical, rational, gentle ectomorph?

Fair.

I'm still not watching, by the way, but I'm impressed by how I don't know half the characters in this list. Season 3 really is a do-over/reboot, isn't it?

Saru's kind've been an odd one in terms of his development. He was Science Officer on the Shenzou with Burnham as First Officer, but they swapped jobs on Discovery, even after Burnham was re-commissioned. He was gravitating towards the captain's chair already in the second half of season 1 when Lorca was off the ship, leaving Saru in command of the bridge for most of the Mirror Universe episodes. But Pike came along for season 2 and stalled that for a while. And he kinda lost the Spock/Data vibe completely in the season 2 episode where they visit his home planet, imo[nb]
Spoiler alert
And he "evolves" into a predatory version of his species because a figurative evolution towards the Captain's chair was too subtle for the people who write this thing. God, I still find that so stupid.
[close]
[/nb]. He's still got nice softly spoken moments with the crew though.

idk when you stopped watching, but Reno and Nhan joined in season 2, and Adira, Book and Gray
Spoiler alert
the Friendly Trans Ghost
[close]
joined in season 3. The only people who have have dialogue in every episode are Burnham, Saru, Stamets, Tilly and usually Mirror Georgiou. The rest come in and out as needed.

On the trans / non-binary characters, cos it was mentioned in the build up to season 3 (and naturally cunts lost their mind over it):

I'm find it a little "off" that Adira's non-binary status is basically not talked about and her whole deal is having a
Spoiler alert
Trill symbiont despite being human
[close]
. Ditto Gray's trans status seeming to be secondary to the fact that he seems to be a
Spoiler alert
"ghost", hallucination or some sort of echo from the joining of Adira and the Tal symbiont
[close]
. I get the reason, they're showing gender-fluidity as absolute non-issue, even in the 'damaged' future where most of the people they've met are fucknuts, that doesn't define people. That's the right thing.

But at the same time, Discovery's written for an audience in 2020 and it seems like they're saying "Look at our progression & inclusiveness! Here's a non-binary person to make non-binary viewers feel represented! But we don't mention it in dialogue (at least not yet) and she doesn't use neutral pro-nouns. So if you were slow on the uptake, you might just think she's a bit of a tomboy."

Don't want to cis-splain trans issues and I definitely don't want Burnham to have a tear filled heart to heart to Adira about how hard it must've been for her to be non-binary growing up, but it just feels like they're slightly backing away from the statement they want to make. I'm almost certainly overthinking this.

More annoying is that of course they were a couple. Cos the two non cisgender characters would obviously be with each other. No such thing as a cis / trans or cis / non-binary relationship.

EDIT: So Blu del Barrio who plays Adira stated before the season aired that the character was going to use gender neutral pro-nouns. So did they chicken out of that or will Adira say "yeah, can you guys stop referring to me as 'she' please?" at some point?

surreal

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on November 07, 2020, 12:15:14 PM
Don't want to cis-splain trans issues and I definitely don't want Burnham to have a tear filled heart to heart to Adira about how hard it must've been for her to be non-binary growing up, but it just feels like they're slightly backing away from the statement they want to make. I'm almost certainly overthinking this.

Also have the same thoughts as a cis-gender bloke, but I assume it will be explained that they are both present together and at that point the pronouns would change?  Offers a bit of a get-out if someone wants to make excuses too I guess

PlanktonSideburns

The girl with the squid up her arse and aisian Christian Slater made me want to set about a family of kittens with a rolled up bit of lead

Enjoyed all the saru stuff tho

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Saru's walk makes it look like he's constantly wafting away farts.

petril

Alberon

The only thing I'm interested in is whether the Dax symbiont was mentioned in this or not. That's all.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on November 07, 2020, 10:53:08 PM
The only thing I'm interested in is whether the Dax symbiont was mentioned in this or not. That's all.

Not.

Alberon

Great! That's one less bit of Star Trek history dragged through the mud.

PlanktonSideburns

Saru's kind've been an odd one in terms of his development. He was Science Officer on the Shenzou with Burnham as First Officer, but they swapped jobs on Discovery, even after Burnham was re-commissioned. He was gravitating towards the captain's chair already in the second half of season 1 when Lorca was off the ship, leaving Saru in command of the bridge for most of the Mirror Universe episodes. But Pike came along for season 2 and stalled that for a while. And he kinda lost the Spock/Data vibe completely in the season 2 episode where they visit his home planet, imo[nb]
Spoiler alert
And he "evolves" into a predatory version of his species because a figurative evolution towards the Captain's chair was too subtle for the people who write this thing. God, I still find that so stupid.
[close]
[/nb]. He's still got nice softly spoken moments with the crew though.

idk when you stopped watching, but Reno and Nhan joined in season 2, and Adira, Book and Gray
Spoiler alert
the Friendly Trans Ghost
[close]
joined in season 3. The only people who have have dialogue in every episode are Burnham, Saru, Stamets, Tilly and usually Mirror Georgiou. The rest come in and out as needed.

On the trans / non-binary characters, cos it was mentioned in the build up to season 3 (and naturally cunts lost their mind over it):

I'm find it a little "off" that Adira's non-binary status is basically not talked about and her whole deal is having a
Spoiler alert
Trill symbiont despite being human
[close]
. Ditto Gray's trans status seeming to be secondary to the fact that he seems to be a
Spoiler alert
"ghost", hallucination or some sort of echo from the joining of Adira and the Tal symbiont
[close]
. I get the reason, they're showing gender-fluidity as absolute non-issue, even in the 'damaged' future where most of the people they've met are fucknuts, that doesn't define people. That's the right thing.

But at the same time, Discovery's written for an audience in 2020 and it seems like they're saying "Look at our progression & inclusiveness! Here's a non-binary person to make non-binary viewers feel represented! But we don't mention it in dialogue (at least not yet) and she doesn't use neutral pro-nouns. So if you were slow on the uptake, you might just think she's a bit of a tomboy."

More annoying is that of course they were a couple. Cos the two non cisgender characters would obviously be with each other. No such thing as a cis / trans or cis / non-binary relationship.

EDIT: So Blu del Barrio who plays Adira stated before the season aired that the character was going to use gender neutral pro-nouns. So did they chicken out of that or will Adira say "yeah, can you guys stop referring to me as 'she' please?" at some point?

if youre over thinking this, maybe im underthinking this? didnt realise the characters were trans

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on November 07, 2020, 10:58:09 PM
Great! That's one less bit of Star Trek history dragged through the mud.

I had hoped it would be Dax but I'm so so glad it wasn't. I think I would have switched off. I almost did as it was.

Mobbd

Saru's kind've been an odd one in terms of his development.

It's almost like the writers and show-runners don't know what they're doing!

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Mobbd on November 09, 2020, 11:26:29 AM
It's almost like the writers and show-runners don't know what they're doing!

Season 2[nb]Presumably some of what made it to our screens in Season 1 would've been there irrespective, but a huge plot to send Discovery to the 32nd century? Nah, I doubt it if people hadn't complained about how canon breakingly bad it was[/nb] and it's ending were quite obviously a reaction to the criticism of Season 1, so it's possible a more long-term development of Saru was cut in the process.

Although, personally, I think they're just dropping a lot of acid.

Mobbd

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on November 09, 2020, 12:14:31 PM
Although, personally, I think they're just dropping a lot of acid.

I wish that were true. An acid-driven piece of work might be interesting and inventive and have more of a TOS flavour. I think what we have in the writers rooms of CBS is a bunch of squares who would never be so bold as to drop a consciousness-changing drug.

The minds behind New Trek, I'm fairly certain, are a loose team of asset managers pushing bullshit around a sterile meeting room, enjoying their leisurely commute each day, power-tripping in their ability to summon people with Zoom, and choosing the post-it notes they like best.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: olliebean on November 07, 2020, 12:01:07 PM
Yep; clear case of the writers having decided (or been told) that she's the star, so having to find something for her to do even in a plot that's really got nothing to do with her.

"One, Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Poochie's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking 'Where's Poochie?"

Malcy

What a massive difference from last weeks heap of shite. Really enjoyed this one. It felt and acted like Star Trek should. I'd hope for the rest of the series to be like this one but not getting my hopes up.

The resolution to the
Spoiler alert
Seed Ship thing was a bit odd. Could they not just have jumped back to treat the Barzan or even just take him and his family with them. They could have got a new team to protect the seeds there in no time. And why have the ship in the middle of nowhere and defenceless anyway? Seemed odd.

Nice little tribute to Aron Eisenberg with the U.S.S. Nog and an appearance from the USS Voyager NCC-74656-J! Another VOY reference with the word Kazon on a display screen as well.
[close]

Still no further on The Burn, the Georgiou stuff was interesting and I think the music is something to do with Burnham's mum.

More references and things that I missed here - http://blog.trekcore.com/2020/11/star-trek-discovery-review-die-trying/

Wonderful Butternut

Yeah, that's the second good episode of Trek Discovery has produced after New Eden.

First time Mirror Georgiou wasn't a waste of screen time too. Loved how the G-Man's granddad didn't take any of her shit.

beanheadmcginty

Only catching up with this now. The English bloke looks like Tim Curry but younger. And blacker.

Bently Sheds

That's two episodes in a row now where we've had a character interact with Burnham purely to tell her how fucking amazingly fantastic she is and everyone else is shit by comparison.

It's almost Derek-like.

Alberon

Quote from: Bently Sheds on November 14, 2020, 11:41:52 PM
That's two episodes in a row now where we've had a character interact with Burnham purely to tell her how fucking amazingly fantastic she is and everyone else is shit by comparison.

Still not watching the show, but that sounds like Burnham is finally becoming Mary-Sue.

grainger

I tried to like Discovery, but I can't get past two things.

1. Every time I hear "Burnham", I think of the Manchester mayor.

2. It's shit.

PlanktonSideburns

Good episode

Love to see David cronemburg acting

He's the Ted danson we deserve

kidsick5000

Is the suggestion that Cronenberg doesn't exist and it was all in Michelle Yeoh's mind?

PlanktonSideburns

God knows

I wait till twists are revealed

Then clap

It's my evening off

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: kidsick5000 on November 15, 2020, 10:48:31 PM
Is the suggestion that Cronenberg doesn't exist and it was all in Michelle Yeoh's mind?

I didn't pick that up, personally. I'm taking Georgiou staring away into the distance and not registering Burnham in a way that goes well beyond someone being distracted at the end as over-dramatic writing.

Ant Farm Keyboard

You'll see that in the finale, there will be an event that restores the stability of the dilithium crystals all over the galaxy. And it will be known as the Ham, making all this era in history known as the Burn-Ham.

Bently Sheds

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 16, 2020, 08:42:35 AM
You'll see that in the finale, there will be an event that restores the stability of the dilithium crystals all over the galaxy. And it will be known as the Ham, making all this era in history known as the Burn-Ham.
And it will be Burnham who does it, so everyone can worship her just a little bit more.

JamesTC

petril

Quote from: Ant Farm Keyboard on November 16, 2020, 08:42:35 AM

the event will be a Lewis Hamilton cameo

phantom_power

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on November 07, 2020, 11:00:19 PM
if youre over thinking this, maybe im underthinking this? didnt realise the characters were trans

They aren't are they? Adira is a girl and talked about Gray as being her boyfriend. Maybe now she is in touch with all her previous hosts then she has become gender-neutral or has different pronouns