Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 06:29:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Star Trek Discovery S3

Started by Malcy, September 04, 2020, 05:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesTC

They probably just don't know what a Trill actually is.

You can only learn so much from Memory Alpha.

Malcy

Good to see that the crew are waking up to the fact that Burnham is an arsehole.

Spoiler alert
She even tells Saru he did the right thing or some bollocks when he sacks her as his Number One. Fuck off you boot, I'm sure he knows that.

Discovery gets the A at the end of the registry following its refit but doesn't look much different apart from that.

Another shit Orion. They should really go back and watch how they should be written. First Bajoran we've seen in a while. Think I spotted a Cardassian & a Klingon as well. There was a Klingon insignia in with the others.

Can't be arsed with Gray. So annoying and is going to be around in next series as well apparently.

This programmable matter thing is a bit odd. Especially for detaching the nacelles for better manoeuvrability. What?

Slightly better look at the new Constitution class on a display screen.

By far the best part of the episode was Linus randomly transporting into places looking for the science lab. More of that. In fact put it in every episode. The best characters in this are the non-humans. Grudge is a more interesting character than Burnham by far. Could probably do the first officer job better as well.

Georgiou definitely going to try find a way back to the mirror universe I reckon. Wish they would have given the Discovery crew new uniforms. The current ones look even worse when the new ones are on screen at the same time.
[close]

Next week is the
Spoiler alert
Unification III
[close]
episode. Looks like it's going to be people weeping and talking about their feelings. At least the
Spoiler alert
Vulcans
[close]
will be there to balance that.

Wonderful Butternut

The Vulcans will probably all be dicks for no particular reason, cos that's how we write Vulcans since Ent.

As for Burnham, we all know
Spoiler alert
that'll she just re-gain everyone's trust and redeem herself before the end of the season. Also her success in her renegade mission was so absolute that it still feels like she knows better than her superiors and her genius and ability is being repressed by Starfleet bureaucracy. If she'd failed, miserably, then it'd have had more weight.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Incidentally, who's now Discovery's first officer now? Reno is next in terms of rank followed by Stamets, but they both prefer to bitch at each other in the Spore room and say how much they like science and math, than be on the bridge so I don't imagine either will get it. That officer played by the actress who played Airiam in the first season, but not the second, maybe?
[close]

It was actually another good episode though. They're in serious danger of actually making this into a decent series. Can't wait to see what shark they jump to fuck that up.

JamesTC

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on November 20, 2020, 11:20:26 PM
The Vulcans will probably all be dicks for no particular reason, cos that's how we write Vulcans since Ent.

Except Enterprise had a specific reason for that which was resolved in the superb three parter which reformed the Vulcan government and set up the early events of the formation of the Federation.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: JamesTC on November 20, 2020, 11:29:11 PM
Except Enterprise had a specific reason for that which was resolved in the superb three parter which reformed the Vulcan government and set up the early events of the formation of the Federation.

It was still shit and they hadn't that 3 parter planned when they started the series. The reason at the start of the series was to make Cuntchops Archer look like some sort of hero. Perhaps I should've said "no valid reason" instead of "no particular reason".

And whilst once they've made the Vulcans dicks, it's better that said 3 parter exists than not, I don't find it plausible that Vulcan society would lose sight of the teachings of Sarek in the way they did.

Malcy

As for Burnham, we all know
Spoiler alert
that'll she just re-gain everyone's trust and redeem herself before the end of the season. Also her success in her renegade mission was so absolute that it still feels like she knows better than her superiors and her genius and ability is being repressed by Starfleet bureaucracy. If she'd failed, miserably, then it'd have had more weight.
[close]

Spoiler alert
Incidentally, who's now Discovery's first officer now? Reno is next in terms of rank followed by Stamets, but they both prefer to bitch at each other in the Spore room and say how much they like science and math, than be on the bridge so I don't imagine either will get it. That officer played by the actress who played Airiam in the first season, but not the second, maybe?
[close]

It was actually another good episode though. They're in serious danger of actually making this into a decent series. Can't wait to see what shark they jump to fuck that up.

My first thought was Nillson. I don't know what it is but she just looks like she belongs in that position.

JamesTC

Quote from: Wonderful Butternut on November 20, 2020, 11:44:28 PM
It was still shit and they hadn't that 3 parter planned when they started the series. The reason at the start of the series was to make Cuntchops Archer look like some sort of hero. Perhaps I should've said "no valid reason" instead of "no particular reason".

And whilst once they've made the Vulcans dicks, it's better that said 3 parter exists than not, I don't find it plausible that Vulcan society would lose sight of the teachings of Sarek in the way they did.

The plan from the start was to highlight flaws across all the races that must be overcome to form the Federation. It makes sense dramatically. It just wasn't planned out well enough and then they knew things were coming to an end with Season 4 and they had to rush a resolution.

I'd argue that they made Archer look arrogant and naive in Season 1 and 2 as much as they made him a hero. Particularly with many of his dealings with the Vulcans. The episode Breaking The Ice comes to mind when Archer spends the entire episode refusing help from the Vulcans (who are being rude and arrogant themselves) until his arrogance nearly leads him to losing two officers.

Malcy

Also hoping for a Burnham sacrifice for the good of the Federation thing for the finale but if this year has taught me anything it's "no fuck off you can't have that". Would be nice though. Wish they had focused on Saru from the beginning when they wanted it to be a non-captain focused series.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Malcy on November 21, 2020, 12:31:15 AM
My first thought was Nillson. I don't know what it is but she just looks like she belongs in that position.

I have to assume that they have some use intended for Nilsson since they went to the trouble of moving Sara Mitch from playing Airiam to keep her in the cast after Airiam died. She's done basically nothing other than take Airiam's station so far.

Actually I want to see "Mr. Random Communications Man" Bryce get it.

Quote from: JamesTC on November 21, 2020, 12:32:11 AM
I'd argue that they made Archer look arrogant and naive in Season 1 and 2 as much as they made him a hero. Particularly with many of his dealings with the Vulcans. The episode Breaking The Ice comes to mind when Archer spends the entire episode refusing help from the Vulcans (who are being rude and arrogant themselves) until his arrogance nearly leads him to losing two officers.

I always felt that they made the Vulcans rude and arrogant just to make Archer seem right, no matter how big a fuckburger he was being. The audience was supposed to be on his side, most if not all of the time.

Malcy

They've made a point of having her take the com a couple of times and making her a bit more prevalent so I reckon they have some plan for her yeah. Personally I'd like to see Linus get it as well. It's nice to see a Sauria have a proper role after all these years and a handful of appearances rather than just being a brandy!

Bently Sheds

The best bit about that last episode? Tilly backing up Burnham by saying
Spoiler alert
by going rogue Burnham saved a lot of lives today
[close]
about ten minutes after
Spoiler alert
Burnham had spent a good while vapourising about 50 or 60 scap metal dealers.
[close]

Mobbd

I hate Disco and I never loved Enterprise but, to be fair, the Vulcans were unusually pissy in the DS9 baseball episode, Take Me Out to The Holosuite.

I like that episode! But it always felt odd that there should be a Starfleet ship crewed exclusively by Vulcans and that all of them were sneery windbags. I know why they did that, of course, but yeah.

I was going to suggest this episode as the origin of latterday Vulcan pissiness but Spock was a bit of a twank in ST:The Motion Picture after his holidays on Vulcan, wasn't he? Maybe it's fine that they're like this in Enterprise and Disco.

Malcy

Was it not that they started following the teachings of Surak a bit more or less after the ENT 3 parter? The ship full of Vulcans on DS9 was an odd one. Didn't seem like a very Federation thing to do.

Quote from: Malcy on November 22, 2020, 03:29:45 PM
Was it not that they started following the teachings of Surak a bit more or less after the ENT 3 parter? The ship full of Vulcans on DS9 was an odd one. Didn't seem like a very Federation thing to do.

There's one in the original series as well isn't there? Gets eaten by a giant amoeba. Spock does a pre-force 'I can feel their pain!'

Most Star Fleet ships we see are mainly crewed by humans with a couple of Vulcans knocking about, maybe its the same but reversed on Vulcan ships. Imagine being the sole human on a ship of those dreary fucks.

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on November 22, 2020, 03:29:45 PM
Was it not that they started following the teachings of Surak a bit more or less after the ENT 3 parter?

That and the Vulcan High Command were replaced which led to less antagonism with the Andorians.

Malcy

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 22, 2020, 04:57:05 PM
There's one in the original series as well isn't there? Gets eaten by a giant amoeba. Spock does a pre-force 'I can feel their pain!'

Most Star Fleet ships we see are mainly crewed by humans with a couple of Vulcans knocking about, maybe its the same but reversed on Vulcan ships. Imagine being the sole human on a ship of those dreary fucks.

No chance of being a jammy bastard and getting an old cosy night with a T'Pol like either. You'd be bottom of the list on a ship like that! At least they had Holodecks by that point!

JamesTC

Quote from: Malcy on November 22, 2020, 06:39:14 PM
No chance of being a jammy bastard and getting an old cosy night with a T'Pol like either. You'd be bottom of the list on a ship like that! At least they had Holodecks by that point!

Hence the popularity of Vulcan Love Slave.

petril

imagine your only company being the other four humans, who you have precisely zero in common with. all dickheads as well. every conversation one of those Matt Holness IT Guy bullshit competitions and that's your good Friday night

Malcy

Quote from: petrilTanaka on November 22, 2020, 08:38:53 PM
imagine your only company being the other four humans, who you have precisely zero in common with. all dickheads as well. every conversation one of those Matt Holness IT Guy bullshit competitions and that's your good Friday night

Fuck that. I'd replicate some pointy ears and claim to be going through the Pon'Farr.

Quote from: JamesTC on November 22, 2020, 06:41:00 PM
Hence the popularity of Vulcan Love Slave.

And if that didn't work there's a backup!

Malcy

Too much Burnham in that one. Enjoying watching her struggle though.

Best bit was
Spoiler alert
Nimoy Spock. I thought he might have appeared on screen as an image but didn't expect to have a whole speech from Unification.

Anton Yelchin tribute with the USS Yelchin.

Didn't recognise Burnham's mum when  she appeared. The whole thing felt a bit odd.

Picard got a mention. I wonder if he's still kicking about in this century.
[close]

Alberon

Just read a synopsis on a Trek website. It's trying to be positive but even it thinks the two storylines in this were trite and unbelievable. The
Spoiler alert
Tilly promotion
[close]
is just fucking ridiculous.

Malcy

Quote from: Alberon on November 26, 2020, 07:56:51 PM
Just read a synopsis on a Trek website. It's trying to be positive but even it thinks the two storylines in this were trite and unbelievable. The
Spoiler alert
Tilly promotion
[close]

Spoiler alert
And I'm sure the Admiral would think it odd as well and probably not allow it. Burnham even had to gatecrash that scene. It also states that Burnham, oh so special center of the universe Burnham, is the reason Spock went on to achieve greatness.

Not all his years of service on the Enterprise and beyond, his death and rebirth, his relationship with the likes of Kirk & McCoy.

Nope. All fucking Burnham's doing.
[close]

Quote from: Alberon on November 26, 2020, 07:56:51 PM
Spoiler alert
Tilly promotion
[close]

The
Spoiler alert
Tilly promotion
[close]
was deranged. In the scene when all her shipmates were
Spoiler alert
telling her to 'say yes' to the new job, I really wanted a lone voice of reason to shout out 'have you all lost your fucking minds?'
[close]

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 26, 2020, 10:07:48 PM
The
Spoiler alert
Tilly promotion
[close]
was deranged. In the scene when all her shipmates were
Spoiler alert
telling her to 'say yes' to the new job, I really wanted a lone voice of reason to shout out 'have you all lost your fucking minds?'
[close]

Fuck that, is there not one officer with an ounce of ambition on Discovery?

Spoiler alert
I can understand that the two ranking officers (Reno & Stamets) mightn't really want it or really have the requisite bridge experience, but Detmer, Bryce, Rhys, Nilsson, Owosekun? Or anyone else on the ship? Surely one of them would bang on Saru's door saying "Hey dickhead! I outrank her. Give me the job or I'm going to the union." Wow she went 930 years into the future through a wormhole... so did every other commissioned officer on board. And they all must outrank her.

Remember she was a cadet in season 1 and was only commissioned in the last episode? She's been an Ensign for a year plus change. She's arguably less qualified than Wesley Crusher was when he left the Ent-D. Not as bad as Kirk going Cadet to Captain in the Abramsverse, but close. I'd actually have rathered he just delete the consequences from the last episode and re-instated Burnham as reward for getting the data.
[close]

Other than that they handled
Spoiler alert
Vulxit
[close]
better than I thought they would.
Spoiler alert
And obviously more Burnham-centrism. Can they not give her a rest for one episode? It's legit ruining the series, cos the last 3 episodes have been pretty decent otherwise.
[close]

Bently Sheds

This show is just getting worse. Burnham, man. Fucking Burnham. Burnham, Burnham, Burnham. Like in 900 fucking years she is the ONLY person who has made any effort to understand what caused The Burn? REALLY? Burnham!

It's kind of like a videogame, everyone except Burnham is a Non Playable Character, the woman whose chickens you have to put back in the pen in Zelda, or every fucker in Mario games. Nobody has any agency apart from Michael fucking Burnham, who goes to places and solves everything and - like Malcy says -  is just so fucking amazing that just by existing she caused the
Spoiler alert
reunification of Vulcans and Romulans.
[close]

Wonderful Butternut

I could easily live with Michael Fucking Burnham being the overall hero and saviour of the Galaxy in Discovery. If she didn't have to be the saviour of literally everything and everyone at all times.

Who goes to Trill with Adira and helps her have her memories integrated back into her?
The Captain in order to be appropriately respectful and diplomatic? Maybe Culber, who's the closest thing on the ship to a counsellor and has his own experience of not feeling like himself cos of weird alien shit? No. Burnham of course. Has to be Burnham cos reasons.

Who has to talk the Barzan scientist out of his fantasy that he can revive his dead family?
Nhan, the Barzan officer that you've brought with you? Wouldn't it be ideal for the writers to have her do it? No. Has to be Burnham cos Nhan is too emotionally involved or something. What fucking bollocks.
At least they conceded having Reno & Stamets figure out the ship had been hit by a coronal mass ejection in that episode. All of 2 minutes of someone other than Burnham doing something.

She can still be the big hero and overall saviour who discovers the true source of the Burn without having to do all of that sort of stuff too. Give the others some bloody screen time. Even in 'Far From Home' which she's barely in she turns up to tractor Discovery out of the parasitic ice at the end.

It'd be like if every episode of TNG was solved by Picard giving someone a lecture and the rest of the crew never did or solved anything ever. They have to stick her in the back seat once in a while.

And obviously they need to tone down the whole
Spoiler alert
influencing Spock thing. Aside from the obnoxiousness, they had at most a few weeks together as adults when they actually talked to each other. She can't have had that dramatic an influence on him
[close]

Bently Sheds

No, but see; 900 years of my Great Leader Spock's teachings versus 10 minutes spent listening to Burnham in a meeting? I know who I'd credit with all the good stuff going on with my planet. (Clue: they're not ~900 years dead.)

Ant Farm Keyboard

The flaw was there right from the start. They (it may be Bryan Fuller in the early stages) decide not to focus the show on the captain of the ship. Sure, good. Except that is was more or less already done in TNG or DS9 (still haven't watched VOY or ENT), which were more of an ensemble show. And, as soon as you've established that rule, which is partly PR, you end up focusing the show on a character, who won't end up being the captain of the show, but is still at the heart of every story and necessarily turns into a hero, eating into any other character's development.
The Ni'Var episode was funny by the mere fact that Burnham hadn't acted Vulcan at all since the beginning of the season (the writers could have brought to light this side of her life at some point, but no). She was ruled by her intuitions and her emotions. And then, she becomes suddenly the role model for any Vulcan.

Malcy

Yawn fest this week. Utter pish.

Spoiler alert
Best bit goes to Georgiou claiming she looked like "a human spermatozoa" in her outfit while being examined.

The Andorian's reaction to Grudge was great too as was Book's nephew seeing Linus and being excited about getting to pull some skin off his face.

The Orion's are still so shit in this. They don't look right. Inevitable 'they not she' conversation from Adira. It was like a competition between Stamets & Culber to see how many times they could use the words they and their in the later scene.

Had no interest in what was going on with the planet and didn't really care.

Georgiou stuff the only thing of interest really.
[close]

Mobbd

Quote from: Malcy on December 03, 2020, 02:07:23 PM
Yawn fest this week. Utter pish.

Spoiler alert
Best bit goes to Georgiou claiming she looked like "a human spermatozoa" in her outfit while being examined.
[close]

I didn't watch but that sounds like it belongs in the same garbage bin as "an AI sausage."