Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:08:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Boys - Season 2

Started by Small Potatoes, September 04, 2020, 06:21:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Povidone

Quote from: Obel on September 17, 2020, 10:54:37 AM

*Kiwi's

Ah fuck, even though I have family there I always find myself overlooking teuchter australia unless it's explicitly mentioned.

I think it might have been a mood thing, was in the absolute doldrums when i decided to spend the whole day binging season 1 and it was exactly what I needed. Might just wait a few weeks and binge season 2 in a day, starting from the beginning again.

tourism

Quote from: chveik on September 15, 2020, 03:17:58 PM
stupid cunts could have at least cast a french actor. his accent is ridiculous

yeah. between the shit french accent/those bits where he shares a pulpy past unbidden, i was expecting it to be a thing where he turns out to be a fantasist with a grating midwestern accent or whatever, but that's seeming less and less likely

Mister Six

Quote from: tourism on September 17, 2020, 06:56:34 PM
yeah. between the shit french accent/those bits where he shares a pulpy past unbidden, i was expecting it to be a thing where he turns out to be a fantasist with a grating midwestern accent or whatever, but that's seeming less and less likely

That's actually exactly what he is in the comic - though he's a Brit who went mad in the French Foreign Legion, rather than an American. He's also a lot more OTT and cartoony in the comic, which wouldn't work so well with this more grounded version.

sirhenry

I'm not finding season 2 to be nearly as funny as season 1. Of course it helped having just watched the Tick taking the piss out of Homelander as a tired cliche just before the release of the first one, but as a panto villain he needs to ramp it up with each season for it to keep working. Even just adding a moustache (that he thinks makes him look more 'masculine') that he could twirl or suck milk out of would help. Though admittedly the scenes with Doppelganger were hilarious.

As folk have said above, Hughie is no longer the bumbling Everyman he was but just an annoying brat who keeps trying to get them caught. And Starlight no longer has her naive Shirley Temple worldview, but it hasn't been replaced with anything funny, just an increasing world-weariness that doesn't suit the character.

Stormfront, in light of recent events in the States, isn't nearly over the top enough; she just comes across as an antihero Mary Sue who is in control of every situation, all anger and no absurdity.

The Deep is improving slightly, taking on the mantle of this season's religion-bashing (his mentor has the potential to be wonderfully funny, if she's allowed), but even the comedy of the whale felt off, as if it wasn't played right. Maybe they just didn't know whether to make it comic, pathetic or dramatic so it just ended up none of the above. Hopefully he will commit fully to his new religion, rather than continuing to fence-sit between absurd and pathetic.

And so on... we probably won't see Black Noir beating up Portland protesters or Mavis use her super-speed vibrating hands for fun and frolics (or a wanking A-Train giving himself third-degree burns), or...
So many missed opportunities.

Quote from: Mister Six on September 17, 2020, 07:34:24 PM
He's also a lot more OTT and cartoony in the comic, which wouldn't work so well with this more grounded version.
That's the problem, right there. The TV version is grounded, where it could soar into the comedy stratosphere on wings of ridiculousness.

BeardFaceMan

If they filmed Frenchie's backstory as it is in the comics, now that would have been something.

sirhenry

And when do we get the joke about Mother's Milk being sucked off by HighlanderHomelander?

notjosh

Starting to agree with the CaB hivemind now about the lack of momentum.

Also there are two moments in ep 5 that are right out of 'Film Cliches You Want To Fuck Off' - one of them so egregious I can't believe they did it without irony.

I still think Hughie's basically alright though.

Obel

Oh I'm curious what bits you mean? Mind putting them in spoilers? Guessing maybe the bit in Stormfront's trailer?

Yeah I'm getting a bit impatient with it now. We're 2 or 3 episodes from the end and I don't get a sense of where the show is going.

Quote from: notjosh on September 18, 2020, 09:58:09 AM
one of them so egregious I can't believe they did it without irony.

Do you mean
Spoiler alert
Homelander's fantasy of lasering the heckling crowd
[close]
? Because that was indeed shite.

Obel

Quote from: Small Potatoes on September 18, 2020, 11:32:12 AM
Do you mean
Spoiler alert
Homelander's fantasy of lasering the heckling crowd
[close]
? Because that was indeed shite.

Spoiler alert
I was praying that really happened. Could have taken the show in a really interesting direction.
[close]

notjosh

Quote from: Obel on September 18, 2020, 10:39:25 AM
Oh I'm curious what bits you mean? Mind putting them in spoilers? Guessing maybe the bit in Stormfront's trailer?

That's the main one I meant, with full
Spoiler alert
family member in the photo frame right next to the computer
[close]
and everything. Who, in this day and age, has
Spoiler alert
a password without so much as a number or capital letter in it?
[close]
Would have been better if it just
Spoiler alert
didn't have a password.
[close]

But yeah, the
Spoiler alert
Ally McBeal-esque revenge fantasy
[close]
was the other one, as I was genuinely
Spoiler alert
open-mouthed for a second when I thought it was real.
[close]

wooders1978

I was too Re the spoiler tagged above  - enjoyed this episode in general, nice to see the guy who's doing a bad French accent completely upstaged by
Spoiler alert
butchers aunt
[close]

BeardFaceMan

I wouldn't go so far as to say Homelander is the only good thing about this season, but by Christ he's the best thing about this season by a mile. 5 episodes in and I have no idea what the story arc is supposed to be.

sirhenry

Did I miss them explaining that Compound V gives people Wolverine-style regenerative abilities?
This week neither Kimchi nor Stormfront/Liberty Belle were phased by normally lethal injuries, so does this hold true for all the others too?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: sirhenry on September 19, 2020, 12:33:54 PM
Did I miss them explaining that Compound V gives people Wolverine-style regenerative abilities?
This week neither Kimchi nor Stormfront/Liberty Belle were phased by normally lethal injuries, so does this hold true for all the others too?

No, they all have their own powers, some more powerful than others, not all of them regenerate, some can be killed pretty easily by other supes. That's why all the supes are afraid of Homelander, because they know how powerful he is and what he can do to them if he wanted. Well, other than Stormfront, she is nearly on par with Homelander for powers, at least in the comics, so it'd take a bit more than lasering her tits to take her down and she's not afraid of him either.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Povidone on September 17, 2020, 08:48:24 AM
out of two australians putting on accents Anthony Starr is absolutely shitting all over Karl Urban.

I think Urban's Newzealandish. But yeah, his accent is a bit Dick Van Dyke chimney sweeper for me. He sounds like that cockney lad in hooligan film Green Street. I wonder if that's a joke or he's supposed to sound properly English.

Agree that series 2 so far is less compelling but hopefully that will improve. I reckon Homelander is the biggest bastard of a villain I've seen in years. He seems to keep finding new ways to demonstrate how fucked up, cruel and neurotic he is. Quite impressive.

I'm not mad about the boys but I like Urban, I think he has charisma. Despite his dodgy accent and scattershot tactical approach. I like the new character's challenge to Homelander and the suggestion that someone might come along and challenge him and be an even bigger cunt than he is.

As long as they manage Homelander correctly I"ll continue watching for sure. Nobody comes close to him as a dramatic force in this show. One of my favourite characters in ages.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 19, 2020, 01:03:25 PM
Well, other than Stormfront, she is nearly on par with Homelander for powers, at least in the comics, so it'd take a bit more than lasering her tits to take her down and she's not afraid of him either.

In the show she seems on par with him but also willing to back down rather than get in a fight with him. Rather than who is stronger you also have the issue of appearances and PR. What would it look like to have two of The 7 smashing each other to pieces in broad daylight with civilian witnesses.

I find Stormfront a bit petulant and annoying for my taste. Like she's a child in an adult body.

sirhenry

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 20, 2020, 08:33:37 AM
I find Stormfront a bit petulant and annoying for my taste. Like she's a child in an adult body.
Yes, you'd expect something a bit more nuanced for someone in their 80's, but then again Compound V does seem to turn people into self-obsessed brats.

When do we get to meet the
Spoiler alert
Supe-dragon
[close]
?

SteveDave

I still don't understand why they just didn't have Butcher as being Australian/Hobbitlandian. He could still say wanker and fuck off you cunt with aplomb that way.

olliebean

Or just cast someone who could do the accent.

I did enjoy the way the actor who played his aunt was doing the same flawed accent.

notjosh

Some interesting stuff in this week's episode, but the pacing was a bit peculiar I thought. Those who have taken a dislike to Huey will have cause to roll their eyes I suspect.

I really like the lost little boy side of Homelander - makes him so much more compelling as a villain than some mad cunt with a complicated plan.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: notjosh on September 25, 2020, 01:54:56 PM

I really like the lost little boy side of Homelander - makes him so much more compelling as a villain than some mad cunt with a complicated plan.

Me too, I generally dislike superhero stuff but there's enough farce/parody in this to start me watching (still on s2e1)

Small Man Big Horse

A spin-off has just been announced, covering a Voight sponsored superhero college, which sounds a bit like the G-Wiz storyline from the comics. Bit concerned their spreading themselves a bit thinly though, especially given how poor this second season has been at times. https://news.avclub.com/amazon-announces-a-spin-off-of-the-boys-about-superhero-1845175303

BeardFaceMan

Yeah, the word "fast-tracked" is never good in relation to the creation of a tv show.

Gulftastic

Enjoyed MM nearly being killed by my friend Billy.

If only they'd been a rake to hand.

sirhenry

Well, this week's episode was a surprise. All that trowelling on the sympathetic backstory for Frenchie from the very first scene, in the tradition of US TV, it could only go one way. So it came as a huge disappointment when he
Spoiler alert
didn't die in a pool of pathos
[close]
at the end.

Dr Rock

Could Stormfront be Homelander's mum?

checkoutgirl

6 episodes into series 2 now and I'm losing patience with this. Short of the next couple of episodes being exceptional I can't really see much to recommend this. Motivations seem unclear, plot meanders along. I don't believe the boys sticking together. I can't understand why they don't just split up and go their seperate ways.

There's not much fun, humour or suspense. I'm even losing interest in Homelander who hasn't gone near his son for a few episodes. I don't understand Starlight's motivation. We've heard nothing from Esposito for a while and the Compound V news story seems to have gone away. The whole this is a complete mess.

The Maeve strand looks like it might have legs but I'm not sure if that's enough. Maybe I'm jumping the gun and the next episodes will put some shape onto this but with the exception of a few moments here and there it's not been great. It's not exciting or compelling and doesn't make much sense.

BeardFaceMan

I'd be suprised if she was Homelanders mum, seeing as they fuck the living shit out of each other (although given supes behavior in this universe it's not entirely unlikely). I think they're going to go more towards Homelanders origin story in the comics, just because it opens up other plot points with other characters and if they change that it makes one particular character completely pointless.

Edit - can't argue with the above post. It's like they've forgotten about the story and are just trying to create moments, problem with that is that all the cool moments don't hang together very well and the whole thing becomes a sum less than its parts .

This still pisses all over the mess they made of Preacher, though.

Dr Rock

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 26, 2020, 09:39:19 PM
I'd be suprised if she was Homelanders mum, seeing as they fuck the living shit out of each other

That's what makes me think she's his mum. She knows, he doesn't.