Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:40:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Napalm Death - Throes Of Joy In The Jaws Of Defeatism

Started by boki, September 05, 2020, 12:48:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

boki

This is coming out in a couple of weeks and promises to be a good 'un to say the very least.  The three songs released so far have all been very different, yet very much rooted in what they've always been about.  Backlash Just Because is the most typically Napalm of the three: a 3-minute hardcore rager with no lack of melody in the guitar department, but it was the emergence of Amoral a couple of weeks ago that really turned my head.  Their clearest ever nod to Killing Joke, who were cited as an early influence, certainly in the Broaderick/Bullen years.

Not to be outdone by that, they've just released A Bellyful Of Salt And Spleen, an early-Swans-like industrial crusher.

Are they about to release their best album?

easytarget

logic ravaged by brute force / white kross is very strong.
ND have always been a band who I respected (urgh, the faintest praise - but without them no grindcore or grind-based spinoff genres so...) rather than loved but the newest stuff is pretty fucking great - seems to be blending in postpunk (or ... something) in - good stuff.

Dirty Boy

I'll give this a listen when it lands.

Having only really listened to the first couple of albums, any recs for good later Napalm, or is it a case of 'heard one, heard them all'? I've read that Apex Predator - Easy Meat is meant to be a good one.

thugler

Quote from: Dirty Boy on September 05, 2020, 10:28:18 AM
I'll give this a listen when it lands.

Having only really listened to the first couple of albums, any recs for good later Napalm, or is it a case of 'heard one, heard them all'? I've read that Apex Predator - Easy Meat is meant to be a good one.

There's a few different eras, and they have changed sound a few times. Mostly with the general idea remaining, but going a little more or less expansive sound wise. Prefer the shorter song lengths personally. New one sounds interesting

magval

Fear Emptiness Despair is their heaviest album, so if you want heavy, go there. Enemy of the Music Business is probably the best, a real sense of rejuvenation on that one after escaping Earache like all sensible bands do.

Time Waits for No Slave is my favourite of the later albums.

Most underrated is Diatribes.

Harmony Corruption is a curious one being produced by Scotty Burns at the height of his involvement with the US death metal boom and sounding a lot like the best albums from that period and somewhat less like Napalm as a result, but if you like Obituary or early Morbid Angel it's the place to be.

Noodle Lizard

Apex Predator - Easy Meat was an absolute banger, one of my favourite metal records from the past few years. It's nice to see one of the granddaddies still putting out consistently great music.

Looking forward to this one!

EDIT: Looks like Carcass are coming out with another one an' all. Still need to give My Dying Bride's new release a listen too. It's been a good year for Northern English metal!

magval

My Dying Bride's new album is the best thing they've done since Songs of Darkness Words of Light and I must recommend it with unqualified enthusiasm.

You could start with The Long Black Land which is up there with their very best, and I say this as a lifelong fan who has taken their problems with production and unsuitable drumming far too personally since about 2006 or so.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: magval on September 08, 2020, 10:04:12 AM
My Dying Bride's new album is the best thing they've done since Songs of Darkness Words of Light and I must recommend it with unqualified enthusiasm.

You could start with The Long Black Land which is up there with their very best, and I say this as a lifelong fan who has taken their problems with production and unsuitable drumming far too personally since about 2006 or so.

Oo, that's encouraging. SODWOL is one of my favourites, being probably the most representative of all their strengths (sans violin, sadly). I've not disliked any subsequent albums, but they fell into a groove after For Lies I Sire which hasn't had me rushing towards a new release for quite some time now. I don't think I listened to Feel The Misery more than once - it was fine, but I didn't feel like there was much else to get from it.

Looking forward to checking out the new one now, cheers. I had a horrible feeling they might stop altogether after Aaron's daughter was diagnosed with cancer, but it seems from what I'm hearing that they've come back with a belter.

easytarget

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 08, 2020, 01:36:05 AM
EDIT: Looks like Carcass are coming out with another one an' all. Still need to give My Dying Bride's new release a listen too. It's been a good year for Northern English metal!

Aye. Loathe, Leeched, Paradise Lost its not all cloth caps and whippets oop ere like.

idunnosomename

i love the new carcass, and the new anaal nathrakh, but napalm's new single leaves me a bit. bleh. whatever. but so glad I saw them earlier this year, even it was in a venue with awful booze selection

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 09, 2020, 01:26:05 AM
i love the new carcass, and the new anaal nathrakh, but napalm's new single leaves me a bit. bleh. whatever. but so glad I saw them earlier this year, even it was in a venue with awful booze selection

To be fair, each of the new "singles" I've heard have been so different it makes me curious how the album's gonna hang together, but it's pretty exciting.

They're an incredible live band, seeing them in 2016 with Melvins is what got me to actually pay attention to their discography. Barney must have the lung capacity of a mule to keep that up.

ASFTSN

Mentally Murdered and first two Peel Sessions are the best ones in my opinion. Enemy of the Music Business is an absolute belter though.

This has nothing to do with the thread does it? RIP Jesse Pintado.

idunnosomename

yeah i liked Logic Ravaged By Brute Force a lot, they played it at Brixton this year. The Salt and Spleen track is very odd but in its context on an album I may dig it more

Dirty Boy

Apex Predator does indeed fucking bang! I'll get on to the other ones mentioned soon enough. I think the only cd i actually own is the Peel sessions one.

I also somehow missed that they played Glasto a few years back *sound of beer can popping*

magval

This is ace. Furious energy and confidence to try something outside the typical ND mold without it sounding like trying (like it often did on some of their 90s albums).

Sounds amazing too, it's really well mixed. Either they've got guest vocalists or Barney has a secret stash of voices he's been sitting on all these years.

idunnosomename

i have no idea what fucking day it is but yes seems to be out and it's... possibly very good

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: boki on September 05, 2020, 12:48:30 AM
Not to be outdone by that, they've just released A Bellyful Of Salt And Spleen, an early-Swans-like industrial crusher.
That sounds fantastic.

Shaky

Speaking of the mighty Carcass, they've just released another new one (not long after their last song):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RrHQalvhbA

magval

Lots of Killing Joke influence on this album. Killing Joke filtered through Napalm Death sounds amazing.

Dirty Boy

Really like this album. Bands almost 40 years into their career should not sound this vital and intense. The Killing Joke and Swans influences are prevalent, but there's still an abundance of punch in the temple speedy thrashcore horribleness to go around. A+.

Noodle Lizard

Fucking hell this is great so far. Sound of the summer.

I hope they're able to tour it properly with all this COVID, I'd see multiple dates.

idunnosomename

i have decided this is very good indeed

and if Carcass just do more Surgical Steel who am I to complain. brilliant album, deserved to make more of an impact than it did

iamcoop

Halfway through my first proper listen and this is fucking unbelievably good.

Noodle Lizard

Might be because it's new and hasn't sunk in properly yet, but it might be the best Napalm Death I've heard. Even some of my favourite albums have moments or even entire tracks which are duds, but this one's relentless.

iamcoop

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 21, 2020, 06:40:33 PM
Might be because it's new and hasn't sunk in properly yet, but it might be the best Napalm Death I've heard. Even some of my favourite albums have moments or even entire tracks which are duds, but this one's relentless.

I've been rinsing it allllllll day. It's unbelievably good.

iamcoop

I know I've said it twice so please believe me when I say that it is.

idunnosomename

i've got so many of those riffs stuck in my head and they are the oddest earworms I have ever had

Noodle Lizard

Probably a boring point to many, but since I've listened to "screamy" music since I was 13 or 14 and tried my own hand/voicebox at it myself, I really appreciate Barney's vocal style. With most death metal, the growling and screaming tends to be done using a technique which protects your vocal cords, but also runs the risk of sounding a bit samey (that Randy Blythe and Angela Gossow style, which you could honestly perform easily from a chair once you know the "trick"). Good vocalists might compensate for this by changing it up more, incorporating more distinct clean vocals or doing a lot of vocal gymnastics.

Barney's harsh vocals are about as close as I've heard to sounding like he's quite literally tearing his voice to shreds. Other vocalists have achieved similar, but usually by using technically "poor" technique, which tended to end up with them having to tone it down or even requiring surgery to remove vocal nodules and repair damage. Since Barney's seemingly been able to do it live night after night, he must be using some variation of the "false vocal cord" technique, but he's got such incredible control over it that his actual voice is still easily discernible. It's very hard to replicate. He's also one of the few live vocalists in this style who sounds just as powerful at the end of the show as he did at the start.[nb]Compare and contrast: Dani Filth in any era, who starts a show sounding vaguely like a banshee and ends it sounding like a baby pretending to cry.[/nb]

As someone else said, a bunch of Midlanders in their 50s just shouldn't be this brutal.

ASFTSN

Is there a particular song off of this that you'd recommend as representative of the album or does it not work that way? I've been away from nu-Napalm for a fair few albums.