Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:02:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fibbing about employment

Started by bgmnts, September 06, 2020, 10:15:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Special K on September 07, 2020, 10:50:27 AM
I've no idea what the unemployment rate is but I know seeking help to find work is more productive than sitting in front of a TV watching Sonic collecting magic rings.

Become a professional streamer and drop both

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on September 07, 2020, 06:09:00 PM
Not if you download the ROMs for free :)

Is this a real thing? I've used ROMs for N64 and earlier for years, I just assumed that newer consoles have either DRM which stops ROMs being a thing. Can you do disc swapping with a Switch? That'd take me right back.

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 07, 2020, 10:26:01 PM
Is this a real thing? I've used ROMs for N64 and earlier for years, I just assumed that newer consoles have either DRM which stops ROMs being a thing. Can you do disc swapping with a Switch? That'd take me right back.

Yeah it's still a thing.  Basically you need to boot the switch into a custom firmware version:  https://sx.xecuter.com/

touchingcloth

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on September 07, 2020, 10:39:37 PM
Yeah it's still a thing.  Basically you need to boot the switch into a custom firmware version:  https://sx.xecuter.com/

Is it possible to buy a Switch sans games and to play ROMs of exactly the same quality as the real deal? I did that on my DS, so that might well push me into buying a used Switch.

Presumably online multiplayer modes don't work with ROMs?

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 07, 2020, 10:47:37 PM
Is it possible to buy a Switch sans games and to play ROMs of exactly the same quality as the real deal? I did that on my DS, so that might well push me into buying a used Switch.

Presumably online multiplayer modes don't work with ROMs?

Yeah the ROMs are all the real deal, you just need to buy a big enough SD card to store them all on.  You can't play online multiplayer, which is a bit of a bummer.

holyzombiejesus

I've found some of the attitudes towards bgmnts' predicament pretty horrible, to the point where I'd be perfectly happy to chip in if there are a few others who would do so with me. It reminds me of the conversations I hear at work when cunts seem to hate the idea of poor people spending any of their money on anything other than sacks of potatoes and rice.

Pijlstaart

How come you think you can just up and borrow your way to a new £250 Game Boy when it would take my salt-of-the-earth Cameroonian housekeeper 50 hours of hard labour (would be 60 hours if I wasn't such a generous tipper) to save up for the same? She knows to wait, Game Boy's just for the likes of me now. All that tax skimmed off my furlough money goes straight to people like you, sickening, you, you should be made to parade about in a barrel, the greed barrel we'd call it, we should use you as an appliance like the Flintstones did with dinosaurs, we should cut strips off you to barbeque at the village fete, and that's how we'll pay for your gruel, thin gruel, and you should be glad of it, never mind Game Boys. Cook you into a bgmnts pie, give it to war veterans, Game Boys and pie for the veterans, and you'd better not think about getting yourself halal slaughtered, that's inhumane, stun-gun and a bible passage (Parable of the Minas) thank you very much.

ProvanFan

Quote from: Special K on September 07, 2020, 10:50:27 AM
sitting in front of a TV watching Sonic collecting magic rings.

Gramps here doesn't even know we've all moved onto Cool Spot now.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 07, 2020, 11:11:45 PM
I've found some of the attitudes towards bgmnts' predicament pretty horrible, to the point where I'd be perfectly happy to chip in if there are a few others who would do so with me. It reminds me of the conversations I hear at work when cunts seem to hate the idea of poor people spending any of their money on anything other than sacks of potatoes and rice.

The opening posters predicament is whether to knowingly commit fraud to buy a non-essential item. Yes, I know the console may help as a short term pick me up but this does it solve the problem of poor money management. The poster themselves state they could afford the weekly payments. As such, the advice is to save for the item rather than incurring 24% interest.

Fast forward two weeks, the credit application has been accepted, the console is under the TV, the poster is still paying that console off until October 2021. 

AllisonSays

The whole premise of 'money management' is predicated on the idea that with wise cultivation it's possible to grow a garden that will allow you to escape poverty, deprivation, unemployment. For lots of people that's a premise that's been demonstrated to be untrue which is (perhaps) why the short-term pursuit of pleasure seems more appealing. Money management is a peversion of delayed gratification you can only enjoy from a certain position of security, I think.

On topic, I've lied about the security or longevity of my employment on credit checks to rent flats before but it's a different situation, was able to get my boss to dissemble for me, knew I could make rent, so not really applicable.

Retinend

What you just wrote is astounding. I have all the sympathy in the world for people who have trouble with money, and the negative feedback loops that money troubles result in, but none of that means that "money management" is a hopeless notion. The only way you can make do with less is to manage the shit out of the money you have. This is not about class warfare. No one is saying that it's one's own fault for being poor. ... it just seems obvious to me that it's not foolish to believe in money management or "perverse" for practicing it.

AllisonSays

I was slightly joking with the perverse thing, via Oscar Wilde on celibacy. But I do think that a lot of chat about money management has a responsibilising or moralising tone which, in my opinion, is unhelpful. Obviously, you're right that mathematically the best way to not get into debt is to spend less than you earn, or whatever.

Shit Good Nose

Knowing bgmnts' current financial and mental predicament, I understand and sympathise.  Yes, those of us who have always been pretty good at money management or have learnt a lesson can easily say what I've already said (save up), or something like "better get yourself some bread and baked beans first".  But when you're sat there staring into a void (dare I go as far as saying "abyss"?) and a (relatively) small loan for an inexpensive item is the one thing that might cheer you up and keep your mental well being above water, then that kind of takes priority over counting the pennies.  Doesn't it?

It's a tricky one for sure and it's easy to look down on people who don't have a good record with money (I should know - Mrs Nose spaffed £40K on loans and credit cards without my knowledge at the beginning of her depression and has fuck all to show for it), but sometimes we should put ourselves their position and perhaps try to understand what they're going through.

Icehaven

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 07, 2020, 12:22:07 PM
It could be that Clearscore take a longer term snapshot (say 10 years, whilst others would only go back 5), OR Experian have missed something. 

So it's more likely that Experian's is artificially high than Clearscore's is artificially low? That's disappointing.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: icehaven on September 08, 2020, 04:07:41 PM
So it's more likely that Experian's is artificially high than Clearscore's is artificially low? That's disappointing.

Like I said, without seeing the complete reports from both it's impossible to say what the discrepancy is or why it's there.

Blue Jam

Had a relative commit guarantor fraud using my name and address and a forgery of my signature. I only learned about this when I got a phone call threatening me with a visit from bailiffs. Really really shit me up.

I wouldn't do it personally.

Puce Moment

I would like to think that the fraud I have committed over the years hasn't really negatively impacted on anyone. I've certainly never stolen an identity.

metaltax

Quote from: icehaven on September 08, 2020, 04:07:41 PM

The "scores" are just (largely) bollocks aren't they? My understanding is that financial institutions only receive the information in your actual report - how much debt of what kind (and possibly with whom), any late payments, any CCJs etc. The "score" is just a number arbitrarily arrived at by the credit agencies which represents some or all of what the actual report contains, weighted in a way which encourages you to take advantage of their premium service and credit-finding services.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 08, 2020, 04:49:41 PM
I would like to think that the fraud I have committed over the years hasn't really negatively impacted on anyone. I've certainly never stolen an identity.

I lived at a couple of addresses in London where I was constantly getting red bills addressed to the previous tenant, and phonecalls demanding to know where they were, and who I was. I didn't know why until someone gave me the "handy hint" to not pay my final bills before moving to a new address. Ah, so it's pricks like that guy, cheers.

That shit me up too tbh.

I'm a wimp goody-goody, never dabbled in a bit o' minor fraud myself.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: metaltax on September 08, 2020, 04:54:17 PM
The "scores" are just (largely) bollocks aren't they? My understanding is that financial institutions only receive the information in your actual report - how much debt of what kind (and possibly with whom), any late payments, any CCJs etc. The "score" is just a number arbitrarily arrived at by the credit agencies which represents some or all of what the actual report contains, weighted in a way which encourages you to take advantage of their premium service and credit-finding services.

I don't think that's quite true - many "soft" searches for low value (i.e. less than £5-10K) loans will go by your credit score number.  At the very least they are a good basic guide - if you're in the red zone, for example, then it's a pretty strong indicator that there's no point in applying for a loan or a mortgage, and most banks won't do any further investigating when faced with a score in the red zone.

But it is true you really need to see full reports to get a true handle on things, as I said RE icehaven's situation.

Icehaven

Quote from: Blue Jam on September 08, 2020, 04:56:53 PM
I lived at a couple of addresses in London where I was constantly getting red bills addressed to the previous tenant, and phonecalls demanding to know where they were, and who I was. I didn't know why until someone gave me the "handy hint" to not pay my final bills before moving to a new address. Ah, so it's pricks like that guy, cheers.

That shit me up too tbh.

I'm a wimp goody-goody, never dabbled in a bit o' minor fraud myself.

Had similar in a flat I moved into about 10 years ago, first few months we were there we kept getting letters from a debt collection agency addressed to a previous tenant, didn't open them of course and just put them back in the post with not at this address on.
Finally one turned up with something about bailiffs on the envelope so I opened that one to find out the name of the agency so I could call them. They didn't sound like they believed me when I explained their debtor had moved out and I was the new tenant (audible sigh when I said it) but the letters stopped and no bailiffs ever turned up so they must have done whatever they needed to do to check.

Retinend

Quote from: AllisonSays on September 08, 2020, 11:42:19 AM
I was slightly joking with the perverse thing, via Oscar Wilde on celibacy.

At first I was like
oh screw you; how did I miss that; I don't even know that quote
and then I was like
google "oscar wilde celibacy quote"...

... he never even said that a c t u a l l y 😎[nb] according to the learned opinion of "Ghost of Richard Ellman (guest)" at Morrisey-Solo.com forums[/nb]

AllisonSays

Haha, right enough! I googled it myself there to no avail. Maybe he said something about nuns once...

peanutbutter

I wouldn't be able to comment on the debt thing as I'm the kind of person who is pathologically averse to the idea of being in debt to the point that I'm only just about coming to terms with the idea of a mortgage but as far as a games console is concerned it'd mostly come down to which console and what for. Have a few friends that got Switches for animal crossing at the start of lockdown who couldn't necessarily afford it (just been furloughed, not making much before that regardless so being squeezed a fair bit) but the upside was pretty huge with all the events and shit going on it.

If it doesn't have that kind of social fulfilment element and you need to budget, there's a reasonable chance some piracy option could be as good/better; DS/3DS/PSP/Wii U or just getting a gamepad and playing emulators on your computer.

Depends how aware you are of your options, like.

touchingcloth

Quote from: peanutbutter on September 09, 2020, 12:14:28 AM
the upside was pretty huge with all the events and shit going on it.

"The events" being "playing the game"?

Blue Jam

Animal Crossing looks like a big bag of wank to me. Don't bother.

Unless it's your thing of course, in which case go for it.

peanutbutter

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 09, 2020, 12:44:27 AM
"The events" being "playing the game"?
Nah, it was drip feeding out shit and had particular calendar things. Like, a totally offline experience of the game would be a shite  from what I could see. As would playing the game at a totally different time than all your friends did, I suspect

touchingcloth

I don't really understand what happens in the video games these days. We used to make our own fun controlling hedgehogs in quests to gather magic rings, but these days it's all hedgehogs with your mates' faces in MMORGRPGs.

The Mollusk

Guaranteed that every one of the hedgehogs has a lifelike serviceable vagina as well.

touchingcloth

Yes, your mates have all joined the pricklies subculture and want to do a yiff up some hedgehogs' arses.