Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:42:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists with Credibility

Started by magval, September 07, 2020, 04:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pingers

65daysofstatic. Permanently on the brink of financial disaster due to only putting out stuff they are 100% happy with, having to do side jobs to keep going. Did the soundtrack for No Man's Sky because they were interested in algorithmic music and a year later still hadn't played the game because none of them could afford a PS4. They could easily make themselves massively popular by putting out stuff in the vein of Bring Me The Horizon but they don't. Relentless hatred of Tories.

The Mollusk

Ooh I didn't know that about them, thanks for the info. I've bumped into them a couple of times at festivals and they're lovely people and extremely chill and friendly so it comes as no surprise.

Not listened to them in ages. Might have to ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD their whole discography today for a reminisce.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Alas, 65daysofstatic are the Apollo 440 of the Post- Rock scene.

magval

If I could edit the title to "Artists (that are generally considered by most people and by you to be) with Credibility (or Integrity)", I would.

How about Beck? Didn't wave Scientology around like a loon when he was married to your one Ribisi, seems to have tried to distance himself from it since then, and keeps releasing brilliant albums (although not consistently).

Comes across like a nice chap, open and honest about depression despite his image as a happy party weird kid (even still), and was ace in an ace episode of Futurama.

Also Carcass.

JaDanketies

Quote from: magval on September 10, 2020, 10:13:18 AM
Also Carcass.

Latest Carcass song was a cobbled-together mess imho.

When they released the Surgical Steel album, I saw a lot of people were disappointed because it still sounded like Heartwork-era Carcass and they hadn't reinvented themselves. "My expectations of you are simple, Carcass. You were a seminal grindcore band and a seminal melodic death metal band. After taking a hiatus for 17 years, the least you can do is invent another subgenre of metal on your comeback."

But their lockdown release definitely did feel like a lazy rehash. (I hope nobody from Carcass reads this, sorry guys)

The Mollusk

How about Beck? Didn't wave Scientology around like a loon when he was married to your one Ribisi, seems to have tried to distance himself from it since then, and keeps releasing brilliant albums (although not consistently)

I hate to drag this thread further into the dirt, because it is a good thread and I'm totally on board with that you intended it to be, but with that being said... I think a general survey of Beck fans would probably come back with the result that the last decade of his career has been largely a load of pap. He appears to have entirely lost the brilliant sense of humour that pervaded so much of his best work and settled on making polished, soulless coffee shop background music.

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 10, 2020, 11:06:27 AM
Latest Carcass song was a cobbled-together mess imho.

When they released the Surgical Steel album, I saw a lot of people were disappointed because it still sounded like Heartwork-era Carcass and they hadn't reinvented themselves. "My expectations of you are simple, Carcass. You were a seminal grindcore band and a seminal melodic death metal band. After taking a hiatus for 17 years, the least you can do is invent another subgenre of metal on your comeback."

But their lockdown release definitely did feel like a lazy rehash. (I hope nobody from Carcass reads this, sorry guys)

Yeah I think thought it was bobbins too. Hope the new album is better.

magval

On Beck - Morning Phase is class but, and Colors is enjoyable but forgettable. One or two actually brilliant songs on there.

On Carcass - Carcass get a lifetime pass for anything they ever do wrong for continuing to pay Ken Owen as if he were still in the band since his health troubles. No sounder act in the English metal scene for this very reason.

the science eel

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Mike Patton? He could have been a fairly big star with Faith No More, but chose to go down the cultish road instead. He's also supported like minded artist on the Ipecac label.

Quote from: Dr Syntax Head on September 09, 2020, 09:37:21 PMManic Street Preachers? I'd say so
I don't know. Even if the "One album, then we split" thing was just a joke, they went rather Radio 2 in the mid 90s.

There are a lot of question marks in this thread, aren't there? <-- Ooh, he did it again!

Dirty Boy

I laughed out loud when i saw he'd put the Manics, that's like nominating Bon Jovi.

Surely Patton was a star early on in FNM, but from Angel Dust on the albums seemed to do progressively worse in the US and the band were playing smaller venues so i guess he'd already peaked. I heard an interview with King Buzzo recently where he said that some label (possibly Relapse records) passed on Fantomas because Patton and the Melvins were "ancient history" or words to that effect. What a tit.

Dr Rock

Oz Oz Alice

Jimmy Somerville: brought songs against homophobia like Why? and Small Town Boy into the pop charts then disappeared from music for a while to work in AIDS research and activism. Also just a really nice guy.

Quote from: Dirty Boy on September 10, 2020, 01:50:53 PM
Surely Patton was a star early on in FNM, but from Angel Dust on the albums seemed to do progressively worse in the US and the band were playing smaller venues so i guess he'd already peaked.
Was that by accident, or design, though? I guess he'd prefer to be artistically free and stinking rich, but it seems like he chose to follow his muse over commercial success.

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 10, 2020, 01:53:43 PMFairly nasty (and, right at the end, sexually abusive) prank call from the early '90s

CANCELLED MOTHERFUCKER
John Lennon was a known wife beater, but his artistic reputation remains intact.

The Mollusk

Aye I was just pissing about. I love Mike Patton.

Lennon can fuck off though.

Dr Rock

Eastenders' Simon 'Wicksy' Wicks (real name Mick Berry) had a number one hit with Every Loser Wins and didn't release a follow up. That's some street-cred there. Instead he invented Heartbeat for the old folk.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Dr Rock on September 10, 2020, 02:07:25 PM
Betty Boo, obviously.
The pre-fame Ms Clarkson also had some train graffiti dedicated to her : https://youtu.be/W3cwFEGDRf0?t=1059

famethrowa

I think Steve Albini. Made some pretty distinctive noises and good songs while keeping a healthy disdain for the rock n roll circus. He does seem quite boringly earnest in that American way, but he just does what he does.

The Mollusk

Quote from: famethrowa on September 10, 2020, 02:43:05 PM
I think Steve Albini. Made some pretty distinctive noises and good songs while keeping a healthy disdain for the rock n roll circus. He does seem quite boringly earnest in that American way, but he just does what he does.

Albini is a good shout. He is really earnest and his pragmatic approach to his work is enviable if somewhat amusing, treating art as if it's just a regular job. He is basically a plumber or something, but for drums instead of drains, and he's unclogged so many drains over the years, a sizeable chunk of which are fucking classics.

I love this photo of him, dressed hilarious badly, after winning $100,000 at a poker tournament in 2018.

But then again...

RAPEMAN?

CANCELLED MOTHERFUCKER

JaDanketies

Quote from: Pingers on September 10, 2020, 08:01:57 AM
65daysofstatic.

I think the post rock genre is a goldmine of artists with credibility. Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Mono and Explosions in the Sky come to mind.

sutin

If I could edit the title to "Artists (that are generally considered by most people and by you to be) with Credibility (or Integrity)", I would.

How about Beck? Didn't wave Scientology around like a loon when he was married to your one Ribisi, seems to have tried to distance himself from it since then, and keeps releasing brilliant albums (although not consistently).

Comes across like a nice chap, open and honest about depression despite his image as a happy party weird kid (even still), and was ace in an ace episode of Futurama.

Also Carcass.

I've been a big Beck fan since 1996, and I was obsessive until the release of Sea Change put me off. This isn't really about his credibilty but I don't think anything he's done from Sea Change onwards even comes close to his '90s glory. His lyrics got considerably less interesting and much more forced, and the music a lot less adventurous.

Guero is such a shame-faced attempt to relive his Odelay days it's embarrassing.

Sea Change is possibly the most overrated album by any artist who's work i've loved. One Foot In The Grave and Mutations are full of lyrical invention and had a strange sense of pathos, but Sea Change is the sort of music I once thought of him being above making. Morning Phase didn't bother me as much because my expectations were so low by then, but eh. They're not even bad albums, they're just blandly pleasant. Fuck Sea Change, Beck was too young to go MOR in 2002. I blame scientology.

Pingers

Quote from: famethrowa on September 10, 2020, 02:43:05 PM

Apparently responded to a feminist heckler at a Rapeman gig "I can't hear you, you have someone's dick in your mouth".  So maybe not.

sutin

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 10, 2020, 03:33:18 PM
Les Claypool

Well, I love Claypool and Primus of course but he/they definitely lost a bit of credibility in 1999 when pandering to the nu metal crowd with Antipop. But at least Les also recognises that as a mistake.

the science eel

Quote from: sutin on September 10, 2020, 03:18:59 PM

Guero is such a shame-faced attempt to relive his Odelay days it's embarrassing.

Great album.

JaDanketies

Quote from: sutin on September 10, 2020, 04:11:42 PM
Well, I love Claypool and Primus of course but he/they definitely lost a bit of credibility in 1999 when pandering to the nu metal crowd with Antipop. But at least Les also recognises that as a mistake.

Nu-metal Primus!? I'm playing that shit now, sounds good, reminds me of the Claypool Lennon Delerium so far

One of the songs was even produced by Fred Durst.

Further to my earlier Manics talk, there was also Nicky Wire's infamous insistence on a private toilet at Glastonbury. To be fair, it sounds like it was a genuine hangup about hygiene, rather than diva behaviour.

sutin

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 10, 2020, 04:36:44 PM
Nu-metal Primus!? I'm playing that shit now, sounds good, reminds me of the Claypool Lennon Delerium so far

Stating that Primus were pandering to the nu metal crowd with Antipop is fact, not opinion. Building on Claypool's guest appearances on various Limp Bizkit videos and records, Interscope upfront sold Primus as the godfathers of nu metal in the publicity for the Antipop LP. Adverts featured quotes from luminaries of that scene, they did the Family Values tour, Durst is actually on the album!... Electric Uncle Sam, Power Mad, Mama Didn't Raise No Fool... come on!

It has to be said that Les did a great job of doing a 360 after that. Within 5 years of Antipop, Primus were more seen as a 21st century Grateful Dead along the lines of Phish etc.

spaghetamine

Quote from: the science eel on September 10, 2020, 01:16:20 PM
Julian Cope?

I'm about as big of a Cope fan as it's possible to be and consider him a genuine hero but fairly recently he cancelled a gig due to the venue apparently being too dark, all while refusing to take off his sunglasses