Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:44:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists with Credibility

Started by magval, September 07, 2020, 04:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: spaghetamine on September 10, 2020, 05:55:07 PM
I'm about as big of a Cope fan as it's possible to be and consider him a genuine hero but fairly recently he cancelled a gig due to the venue apparently being too dark, all while refusing to take off his sunglasses
Should have gone to Credsavers.

rue the polywhirl

I'm about as big of a Cope fan as it's possible to be and consider him a genuine hero but fairly recently he cancelled a gig due to the venue apparently being too dark, all while refusing to take off his sunglasses

A story like that kind of boosts his credibility for me. People can and should wear what they like and poor lighting at venues is a health and safety risk.

Sin Agog

He's also known to get pissier than Pete Burns when he wants to.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADUR_yPlACY

He did look right at me once at a gig when I was a comely young thing with hair down to my waist and say, "Ah, Brighton, where the men are all prettier than the ladies."  Could be he just thought I was an ugly woman.

The Culture Bunker

At a gig in Manchester, about ten years ago, Cope did take credit for writing the early Teardrop Explodes song "All I Am Is Loving You", saying he had to make it only two chords to accommodate the limited skills of organist Paul Simpson, but now he could play it as intended.

I mentioned this to Simpson not long after, as I got a chance to interview him as the Wild Swans were touring, and he was fairly pissed off as he maintained the song as recorded was the way it was always intended and he would be phoning "Copey" to have words.

Made me a little bit suspicious of Cope ever since.

Pingers

There's also Kristin Hersh of course. 35 years of doing her own thing in her own way, highly antipathetic to the music industry ("music has nothing to do with the music industry and the music industry has nothing to do with music"), co-founded the fan funding platform CASH Music (with L7's Donita Sparks for extra credits). Itinerant mum of four, crackity-voiced alt-guitar miracle worker.

The new Throwing Muses album is great, by the way.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Pingers on September 11, 2020, 12:40:07 PM

Start a thread! I've never listened to Throwing Muses before, get me onboard.

Pingers

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 11, 2020, 01:09:40 PM
Start a thread! I've never listened to Throwing Muses before, get me onboard.

I started a deep dive thread a while ago and posted some embarrassing drunken shite about the first album and was too ashamed to carry on. Maybe I could review Sun Racket and work backwards, and just avoid the first album

The Mollusk

I don't know what any of that means

Pingers

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 11, 2020, 01:26:44 PM
I don't know what any of that means

My communication skills are unparalleled

The Mollusk

Pingers

The Mollusk

You're getting on it at midday? This guy is working for the weekend! I thought your username was just ironic.

Pingers

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 11, 2020, 01:47:23 PM
You're getting on it at midday? This guy is working for the weekend! I thought your username was just ironic.

I'm sober now, but as soon as I've finished working it'll be Friday evening, give or take. I am powerless in the face of such realities

The Mollusk

Brundle-Fly

Scott Walker? From classic pop hits, exquisite solo albums, to the most bizarre alienating experimental  records ever committed to vinyl (or format of your choice) by a former mainstream chart topping artist.

I suppose vegans will cancel him for the meat punching session?

The Mollusk

I'm a vegan and that man can (could have) punch whatever he wants (wanted). Meat, baby Hitler, anything. He's golden as far as I'm concerned.

Egyptian Feast

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 11, 2020, 03:40:06 PM
Scott Walker? From classic pop hits, exquisite solo albums, to the most bizarre alienating experimental  records ever committed to vinyl (or format of your choice) by a former mainstream chart topping artist.

I suppose vegans will cancel him for the meat punching session?

He did have that period in the 70s where he was making hacky records he didn't care about at all, but he more than made up for it with all the bangers on Tilt and The Drift.

studpuppet

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on September 11, 2020, 05:58:03 PM
He did have that period in the 70s where he was making hacky records he didn't care about at all, but he more than made up for it with all the bangers on Tilt and The Drift.

Even the hacky period fits the myth somehow: it makes the sudden change from lumpen country ballads to The Electrician all the more jarring. I like his hacky 70's stuff though, if only because it's still that voice and that impeccable phrasing.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Pingers on September 11, 2020, 12:40:07 PM
There's also Kristin Hersh of course. 35 years of doing her own thing in her own way, highly antipathetic to the music industry ("music has nothing to do with the music industry and the music industry has nothing to do with music"), co-founded the fan funding platform CASH Music (with L7's Donita Sparks for extra credits). Itinerant mum of four, crackity-voiced alt-guitar miracle worker.

Yes!

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 11, 2020, 03:56:07 PM
I'm a vegan and that man can (could have) punch whatever he wants (wanted). Meat, baby Hitler, anything. He's golden as far as I'm concerned.

Ha! I hope you know I was facetiously splitting hairs trying to find a reason he wasn't less than godlike.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 11, 2020, 08:11:13 PM
Ha! I hope you know I was facetiously splitting hairs trying to find a reason he wasn't less than godlike.

The prick could unassumingly shuffle out of the grave right now and I'd open my door and if he said to me "I've searched the cosmos and your two cats are the only two cats in the universe that would produce the exact wail I need to produce the album I'm making in the afterlife which you'll never hear because you're a knob" I'd still be like "Aye alright Scotty do your thing man, cats are in the kitchen, help yourself to the oat milk".

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: magval on September 07, 2020, 04:00:49 PM
Fear Factory - keep splitting up then getting back together without telling someone, like high school cliches who don't want to hang out with Tamra any more because her mom's getting divorced and she keeps crying in the dining hall.

And now Dino has started a GoFundMe page to finish the bands album, even though it was seemingly finished 3 years ago and they are currently signed to a record deal. Something about all this smells deeply of fish.

magval

I've been following it all night, Dino claims it's to pay for the album to be improved, fees for the mix and session lads, and Burt has further clarified the album is done and this is a "scam" (his word) to pay for Dino's divorce bill.

Yikes.

BeardFaceMan

Even if everything Dino says is true, which is highly unlikely, a GoFundMe page is a bit shit. So fans donate to pay to get the album finished, get nothing for it, and then have to buy the album when it comes out? This one is gonna get messy.

Brundle-Fly

Jockice

Sin Agog

Quote from: Jockice on September 12, 2020, 01:47:44 PM
GG Allin. He never sold out.

Despite all of Weetabix's lucrative offers.