Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:52:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists with Credibility

Started by magval, September 07, 2020, 04:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jamiefairlie

Wire, active in six decades now and still producing work that's up there with their best and completely independent now.

New Order had the most to lose and by God did they ever trash their credibility good and proper.

DrGreggles

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on September 07, 2020, 10:10:55 PM
Ideas for the thread - The Hollies? Lose a founder and principal songwriter and vocalist in 68 and then continue to have hits thereafter. Lose their other founder and other principal vocalist in the mid 70s and still manage to make a stab of it to this present day.

Now known as Sugababes.

The Mollusk

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on September 07, 2020, 10:10:55 PM
What was their problematic album? Would have thought it was To The 5 Boroughs on account of how bad it was?

The debut Licensed to Ill, I'm assuming. They got swept up in their quick success and became the people they used to take the piss out of (misogynistic party jocks). The stylistic change from that album to Paul's Boutique was obviously massive and MCA did attempt a bit of a vague reconciliation with the opening track, but it wasn't until '94, 5 years later, that he addressed the issue directly on Sure Shot:

QuoteI want to say a little something that's long overdue / the disrespect to women has got to be through / To all the mothers and the sisters and the wives and friends / I wanna offer my love and respect till the end

MCA was the fucking greatest.

PlanktonSideburns

Diibnah

Knuckles the echidna

Buchannan

ProvanFan

Edit: fuck's sake

Three of a Kind

magval

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 07, 2020, 10:50:15 PM
The debut Licensed to Ill, I'm assuming. They got swept up in their quick success and became the people they used to take the piss out of (misogynistic party jocks). The stylistic change from that album to Paul's Boutique was obviously massive and MCA did attempt a bit of a vague reconciliation with the opening track, but it wasn't until '94, 5 years later, that he addressed the issue directly on Sure Shot:

MCA was the fucking greatest.

Exactly this. The lads had even said they caught themselves becoming the sort of assholes they were trying to make fun of with that album.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 07, 2020, 10:50:15 PM
MCA is the fucking greatest.

Found out MCA died by opening my curtains one morning to read the words

RIP MCA

Spray painted on the opposite brick wall

Which felt appropriate somehow

The Mollusk

As an aside, I don't think I ever started a thread about this back when it came out, but Beastie Boys Book is an absolutely phenomenal read. Their story is a bonkers ride and so much fun from start to finish (except the bit when MCA dies lol). The audiobook is probably even better, with Ad Rock and Mike D and a whole heap of other excellent names reading it. The film that came out earlier this year doesn't even begin to do justice to the whole thing, it's just a cute and affectionate side piece. Seriously, get the fuckin book!

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 07, 2020, 10:59:05 PM

RIP MCA

Spray painted on the opposite brick wall

Which felt appropriate somehow

First celebrity death that ever made me stop what I was doing and sit down and cry.

magval

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 07, 2020, 11:01:21 PM
As an aside, I don't think I ever started a thread about this back when it came out, but Beastie Boys Book is an absolutely phenomenal read. Their story is a bonkers ride and so much fun from start to finish (except the bit when MCA dies lol). The audiobook is probably even better, with Ad Rock and Mike D and a whole heap of other excellent names reading it. The film that came out earlier this year doesn't even begin to do justice to the whole thing, it's just a cute and affectionate side piece. Seriously, get the fuckin book!

First celebrity death that ever made me stop what I was doing and sit down and cry.

There was a good thread at the time and it was heartwarming to see no criticism in it, just a load of fans with nothing but nice things to say. Are Beastie Boys immune to CAB cynicism?

popcorn

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on September 07, 2020, 10:59:05 PM

Well why the fuck did he do that?

RicoMNKN

I guess longevity needs to be a factor.  Easy to seem credible for a short period of time.

And so I'll nominate...
Sparks
Iggy Pop
Bruce Springsteen
Marianne Faithfull

chveik

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: magval on September 07, 2020, 11:26:26 PM
There was a good thread at the time and it was heartwarming to see no criticism in it, just a load of fans with nothing but nice things to say. Are Beastie Boys immune to CAB cynicism?

I think they're shit, if that helps?

Oz Oz Alice

Quote from: RicoMNKN on September 07, 2020, 11:39:37 PM
Bruce Springsteen

Yes, for similar reasons to the Beasties.

This is the ultimate in old white guy rock but he's been making a stand against homophobia forever (from kissing Clarence onstage since the 70s to doing interviews urging for gay marriage to be legal in the 90s before many others); he's written songs like American Skin that are as sadly meaningful today as ever and he is a megastar who is also a big Alan Vega fan and was a booster of Patti Smith. I love the Boss for all these reasons and more.

kalowski

Quote from: Oz Oz Alice on September 08, 2020, 01:01:08 AM
Yes, for similar reasons to the Beasties.

This is the ultimate in old white guy rock but he's been making a stand against homophobia forever (from kissing Clarence onstage since the 70s to doing interviews urging for gay marriage to be legal in the 90s before many others); he's written songs like American Skin that are as sadly meaningful today as ever and he is a megastar who is also a big Alan Vega fan and was a booster of Patti Smith. I love the Boss for all these reasons and more.
A National Enquirer type mag tried to dig into The Boss's private life a decade or so ago, trying to unearth any dirt but all they found was evidence of hundreds of thousands of dollars in anonymous charitable donations that he'd kept hidden.

magval

Quote from: chveik on September 07, 2020, 11:40:19 PM
loads of shit ads

Morning about not being allowed to smoke on planes on that Underworld EP was a bit wank as well. That was a reaaaaally silly recording.

dex

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 07, 2020, 07:47:10 PM
The answer is Ian MacKaye.

Beat me to it. Extending that to Fugazi as a band, too. I like that they always did the work themselves and sought to keep ticket prices low for their gigs.

The Mollusk

Iggy almost certainly fucked underage girls as well. Let's try not to forget that eh.

Natnar

Peter Gabriel?
Kate Bush?
Laurie Anderson?

phantom_power

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 07, 2020, 07:19:04 PM

I think artists are generally less credible nowadays as they're having to come up with increasingly desperate ways to earn money.

Is it that or is it that we have access to their lives and thoughts far more than in the past. If Twitter and the like were around in the 60s and 70s maybe Bolan and Tom Waits would be saying stupid things on there to make people think less of them

SteveDave

Shit Good Nose

If we ignore Robert Fripp's unusual rollercoaster of solo social pursuits (from being a legendary grumpy cunt to doing an episode of Mr and Mrs in his older mellower years), King Crimson as a (still) working unit must be up there, surely.

JaDanketies

Dirty Boy

My first thought was Fugazi.

Second was the Minutemen. A shining beacon of how to do it on your own terms and do it all the way right (i'm still not mad keen on 3 Way Tie For Last however). The doc linked above is endlessly inspiring and has the cream of the punk and 80's indie scene and their mothers lining up to say how bowled over they were by D Boon and co.

Tempted to say the Melvins as well. Even their records on Atlantic are storming and odd (especially Stag)

QuoteKate Bush?
I love the woman, but didn't she say she liked Theresa May?

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: SteveDave on September 08, 2020, 10:04:23 AM
Half Man Half Biscuit
Turning down a chance to be on national TV because Tranmere were playing that night certainly stands out in terms of sticking to your principles.

That said, yer man Nigel Blackwell did do a voiceover for Shell ad.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: magval on September 07, 2020, 04:00:49 PM
Kiss - can't stay retired. Half the band paid to dress as original members who are no longer there.

I thought Kiss had no credibility because they inherently have no credibility from the very start to the end, side to side, straight up and down and inside and out. Just a 100% complete and utter lack of credibility for everyone ever for all time in perpetuity in all corners of the universe for ever and ever in any situation with no exceptions.

popcorn

Quote from: Dirty Boy on September 08, 2020, 12:58:38 PM
I love the woman, but didn't she say she liked Theresa May?

She released a follow-up statement on that, which she must have felt strongly about because she never does interviews or anything.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jan/08/kate-bush-clarifies-political-stance-i-am-not-a-tory-supporter

"I said that we had a woman in charge of our country, and that I felt it was a good thing to have women in power ... it could make it seem like I am a Tory supporter which I want to make clear I am not."

Dirty Boy

Ah, that's ok then. tbh with her being wealthy and middle aged i'd be more suprised if she wasn't a tory. I wasn't about to burn my KB albums or anything (well not The Dreaming anyway).

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on September 08, 2020, 09:25:47 AM
Is it that or is it that we have access to their lives and thoughts far more than in the past. If Twitter and the like were around in the 60s and 70s maybe Bolan and Tom Waits would be saying stupid things on there to make people think less of them

Tom Waits is still alive, there's time left for him to piss off folk with their safety matches on Twitter. Marc sadly didn't dodge the tree but dodged a bullet.

holyzombiejesus

Johnny Marr? Maybe it's just in comparison to that other cunt.