Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:00:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Artists with Credibility

Started by magval, September 07, 2020, 04:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 08, 2020, 02:05:26 PM
Tom Waits is still alive, there's time left for him to piss off folk with their safety matches on Twitter. Marc sadly didn't dodge the tree but dodged a bullet.

But Waits is well past the age of giving a shit about social media. If it was around when he was in his 20s it might be a different story. i think my point still stands that we hold older celebrities in higher regard partly because all their awful opinions and behaviour were hidden from us

SteveDave

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 08, 2020, 12:58:54 PM
Turning down a chance to be on national TV because Tranmere were playing that night certainly stands out in terms of sticking to your principles.

That said, yer man Nigel Blackwell did do a voiceover for Shell ad.

Well I never...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqVWqhDrmUc

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: SteveDave on September 08, 2020, 02:55:37 PM
Well I never...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqVWqhDrmUc
Wrong petrol company in my memory, though. Oh well - blame it on my granddad having been a truck driver for Shell, despite the total lack of connection between him and Nigel.

Puce Moment

Quote from: magval on September 07, 2020, 11:26:26 PMThere was a good thread at the time and it was heartwarming to see no criticism in it, just a load of fans with nothing but nice things to say. Are Beastie Boys immune to CAB cynicism?

You didn't read the thread about the recent documentary then I take it?

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=79708.0

GoblinAhFuckScary

Is 'loss of credibility' synonymous with 'cancelled'?

Super Furry Animals turned down £1,000,000 to do a coca cola advert.

That's gotta be a heaping pile of cred for them. And possibly years of regret after the world quickly changed around that time and nobody gave a fuck about things like that anymore.

magval

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 08, 2020, 03:20:12 PM

No. It isn't. Cancellation contributors like riding childer and acting the cunt certainly erode credibility, but this thread is more about recognizing musicians who are less likely to fall at the hurdles of taking themselves too seriously, releasing crap albums or letting success change them into less talented or likeable people.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 08, 2020, 03:20:12 PM

No, credibility is about putting the art before commerce. Hard to remain credible if you're a cunt though, so maybe a subset.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: phantom_power on September 08, 2020, 02:51:31 PM
But Waits is well past the age of giving a shit about social media. If it was around when he was in his 20s it might be a different story. i think my point still stands that we hold older celebrities in higher regard partly because all their awful opinions and behaviour were hidden from us

They only had hatchet job biographies, vengeful gossip columnists and snotty pieces with accompanying angry letters in the music press to worry about back then.

Natnar

Quote from: popcorn on September 08, 2020, 01:15:23 PM
She released a follow-up statement on that, which she must have felt strongly about because she never does interviews or anything.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/jan/08/kate-bush-clarifies-political-stance-i-am-not-a-tory-supporter

"I said that we had a woman in charge of our country, and that I felt it was a good thing to have women in power ... it could make it seem like I am a Tory supporter which I want to make clear I am not."

I wouldn't be surprised if she does even less interviews for any future projects. She didn't do any when the 2018 Remasters came out, just the odd message on her website.

popcorn

Quote from: Natnar on September 08, 2020, 04:33:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if she does even less interviews for any future projects.

No wonder, if she can't stop herself from saying things like "I actually really like Theresa May and think she's wonderful" in them.

Johnny Textface

dEUS, Radiohead, Prince, Barenaked Ladies

wosl

I'm going to lob in Fairport Convention, if they haven't already been mentioned.

Quote from: magval on September 07, 2020, 04:00:49 PMSlipknot - gimmick image

Re: Tom Waits; putting his output to one side, surely that shambling, mumbling barfly/hobo shtick he affects - if he still does - can't be called credible.  He makes a good fist of it, and I can fairly well hazard the reason he adopted it, but in the bald light of day, especially away from performing contexts, that sort of contrivance mustn't half grate.

Kate Bush: "Theresa May is an excellent prime minister"

Quote from: popcorn on September 08, 2020, 01:15:23 PM
She released a follow-up statement

"... for me to poop on."

I would nominate some gnarly metal bands I love but I think to qualify for this you have to have the opportunity to sell out in the first place to test you.

popcorn

Quote from: Johnny Textface on September 08, 2020, 05:45:31 PM
Radiohead

imo they lost a bit of credibility when they went ahead with their Israel gig and Thom Yorke's response to criticism was "why are people telling us what to do?!" I'm not nearly informed enough to have an opinion on the rightness or wrongness of that decision but it seemed like a completely inept response to a pretty valid set of objections.

Mr Banlon

spaghetamine

Every member of The Flaming Lips apart from Wayne Coyne

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: wosl on September 08, 2020, 05:49:25 PM
I'm going to lob in Fairport Convention, if they haven't already been mentioned.

Really?

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: wosl on September 08, 2020, 05:49:25 PM
Re: Tom Waits; putting his output to one side, surely that shambling, mumbling barfly/hobo shtick he affects - if he still does - can't be called credible.  He makes a good fist of it, and I can fairly well hazard the reason he adopted it, but in the bald light of day, especially away from performing contexts, that sort of contrivance mustn't half grate.

I'd probably find it grating if he wasn't such an entertaining interviewee. And it's not as if his public persona is a total fabrication, he's clearly quite an eccentric man. Also, he abandoned the barfly/hobo shtick in the early 1980s as it had become too restrictive - plus it was threatening to consume and kill him. Since then he's continued to present a performance of sorts in interviews, albeit one that's more rooted in his actual personality.

Absorb the anus burn

Brian Eno has survived feather boas, Bono and Coldplay.

the science eel

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 08, 2020, 10:14:15 AM
If we ignore Robert Fripp's unusual rollercoaster of solo social pursuits (from being a legendary grumpy cunt to doing an episode of Mr and Mrs in his older mellower years), King Crimson as a (still) working unit must be up there, surely.

Well apart from the fact that KC are completely soulless unlistenable shit, these incessant 'Sunday Fun' videos featuring Fripp parading around in his kitchen with his missus, appealing to us to find him fun (I think?) are an utter nightmare. So he can fuck off.

the science eel

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on September 08, 2020, 06:54:05 PM
Really?

I saw them last year and there was a half-hour of stand-up comedy (altho' sitting down) from one of the members in the middle of the gig. So I walked out. It was kind of sad.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: the science eel on September 08, 2020, 08:07:14 PM
Well apart from the fact that KC are completely soulless unlistenable shit, these incessant 'Sunday Fun' videos featuring Fripp parading around in his kitchen with his missus, appealing to us to find him fun (I think?) are an utter nightmare. So he can fuck off.

I did say ignoring his unusual rollercoaster of solo social pursuits and specified the band itself as a working unit.

As for you thinking they're completely soulless unlistenable shit - a subjective opinion doesn't render them as having no credibility.

the science eel

I know, I know. But this 'credibility' notion is kind of subjective anyway.

Surprised Mark E Smith hasn't been mentioned so far. There. I said it.

JaDanketies

Bill Drummond and subsequently KLF.
The Jesus And Mary Chain.
The Fall and Velvet Underground who are credible enough to allow their members to get away with things that would destroy others.
Aforementioned Half Man Half Biscuit.
Nick Cave
Nina Simone
The Pogues
Captain Beefheart
Julian Cope kinda

jonathan richman for the win. he just fuckin loves rock 'n'  roll.

the science eel

Nina Simone and Beefheart for sure.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on September 08, 2020, 10:08:45 PM
jonathan richman for the win. he just fuckin loves rock 'n'  roll.

Oh yes, of course. He's had a couple of brushes with mainstream fame - Egyptian Reggae was a fluke hit, and millions of people saw him in those Farrelly films - but it probably never even occurred to him to capitalise on that. He's quite happy in his niche little bubble.