Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:38:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Be honest - when have you NOT followed the guidelines?

Started by Blinder Data, September 07, 2020, 04:43:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinder Data

That recent story of a 34 year old man at a rave in London who intervened in a fight and got stabbed to death was tragic. But a thought did occur to me: "34? Surely that's old enough to know better not to gather for an illegal COVID party?" But while I haven't started attending mass gatherings, I haven't followed the guidelines to the letter and bet you lot haven't either.

In my case, physically distancing from other people indoors, especially with family, has mostly gone out the window. Plumber came round today with two guys to help out, no masks, no distancing. New neighbours invited us round instantly for a cup of tea, no distancing. My parents do not distance from us at all when they visit and if we didn't hug/kiss, I think it would go down badly. With friends, we basically do what we normally did pre-COVID but sit/stand further apart and don't embrace.

But that's it. No illegal parties for me, despite turning 30 during the lockdown. I've been to pubs/restaurants but not very often and that is all clearly within the guidelines, officer.

So go on then. Which one of you is brave enough to confess to a Cummingsesque misdemeanour? Admit, repent and ye shall be forgiven.

checkoutgirl

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 07, 2020, 04:43:15 PM
"34? Surely that's old enough to know better not to gather for an illegal COVID party?"

...or intervene in a knife fight without a gun. Or intervene in any fight anywhere at all. Fuck that.

Also fuck the guidelines. I make my own guidelines and they are far stricter than they need to be. Think about it, if you go by guidelines in England or America you could be taking advice during a deadly pandemic from Trump or Bojo. Which would be inherently stoopid as these lads might actually want you to die in agony. You don't know their motives and they are both classic psychopaths.

It's like if a building caught fire. Fire safety courses tell you to scope out fire exits when going into a new building. Why? Because it's your ass. You can't rely on guidelines to cross the street, be careful near a precipice or not put your hand in a fire. People with cop on will extend their natural survival instinct whatever the situation, be it pandemic, mosh pit, getting a cheap TV on Black Friday or whatever.

checkoutgirl

I think this thread would be at 50 pages in two days in America and more specifically Florida or California, the crazy states.

Fr.Bigley

One of the reasons I got let go as a brickie to be honest. I saw Frank Gehry, They saw on-the-sauce Frank Skinner.

Fambo Number Mive

I have not Eaten Out to Help Out once, in fact have never entered a restaurant or pub since the start of the pandemic, despite Sunak trying to get me to. I don't like the way the name makes me feel like I'm not helping when I am by staying at home.

Sebastian Cobb

I went out more than once in one day when you weren't supposed to, although if you averaged it out over the week, it would've still been far less than 'once per day'.

Had a couple of workies round (sent by the letting agent), and didn't put a mask on when they arrived but I did stay out their way. It was more that the door rang so I instinctively just burst into action. I gave them a pretty wide berth though, apart from the one PAT testing the landlord's stuff, who I awkwardly reached around while grabbing a mug out of my mug cupboard (they came really early and I was still like a reanimated corpse making my morning coffee).

Big Mclargehuge

Alright; Time to own up.

The day before lockdown eased and people were allowed to travel to places for exercise, I took a 30 mile round trip drive after being cooked up in the house for nearly 8 weeks without leaving except to get my pills from the pharmacy. I figured I wasnt leaving my vehical, I wasnt travelling to anywhere specifically, I wasnt travelling with anyone other than myself and that my car needed a good charging up because it had sat dormant for nearly 2 months.

It was the best drive I've ever had. and will stay in my minds eye for many a moon to come.

I may have also had an illegal haircut...but I cant remember the exact dates haircuts were lifted. I may have been a day early...but I figured if I got in bright and early as soon as physically possible I'd miss the inevitable Covid tidal wave that would spew through the doors the moment it opened properly. My lockdown hair had been driving me mad for the best part of a month and a half and I think on reflection it was better than sex to have it finally tamed. I've no regrets. fight me.

Small Man Big Horse

Just the once, I went out with a friend to an open air comedy night about a month ago where we stayed two meters apart at all times, apart from right at the end when she drunkenly said "Ah, I need to hug you" and leapt at me. And once we'd hugged once I thought fuck it, it's happened now, so we hugged twice more. Disgraceful scenes, I know, and in a just and right society I would be put to death this very night.

H-O-W-L

I try to physically distance as much as possible but, working large retail, it is literally impossible to unless the brass restrict feet through the door -- which they won't. To earn my pittance I have to basically brave the risk of death in that regard.

Bence Fekete

Took a bottle of ginger ale over to my nan who wouldn't take her nightly gin without some kind of liquid ginger. It was peak Covid. We wiped the bottle down and just left it on the doorstop.

Also, snogged the escalator handrail in Tescos when I was feeling disassociated and anarchic. Harmless fun.

flotemysost

Met (outdoors, distanced) with a friend who's had some pretty horrendous news recently, and while we were talking about it he had a panic attack. I held his hand while he hyperventilated into his mask (washed my hands afterwards). Not risk free I know, but he doesn't live with anyone he can really talk to, and under pre-COVID circumstances we'd have hugged and met indoors (no one wants to have a panic attack on a park bench) so it felt like a small thing to do for someone who was feeling absolutely wretched at the time. To my knowledge, under the current guidelines this is a worse crime than spending hours holed up in a pub roaring chekky droplets all over the place.

My lettings agents have also been oddly insistent on booking various non-essential maintenance visits at the flat ever since full lockdown was lifted - they'll ring me at least five times a day until I pick up and organise a slot - so there's been a few workies over mine too. I always fling all the windows open beforehand, shut myself in my room, blitz everything with Dettol afterwards etc. but it still feels a bit dodgy.

Quote from: H-O-W-L on September 07, 2020, 09:21:21 PM
I try to physically distance as much as possible but, working large retail, it is literally impossible to unless the brass restrict feet through the door -- which they won't. To earn my pittance I have to basically brave the risk of death in that regard.

My flatmate works in retail and has at least an hour's commute to work on public transport, so likewise doesn't have much choice about coming into contact with the public, but she's also invited quite a few people over to the flat (while I've also been in) over the past few months, so I'm not sure how bothered she is any more.

Loads of people I know have been meeting with parents and relatives who are aged 60+ for indoor meals in restaurants, or big family parties/barbecues etc. but then they'll put up photos afterwards of everyone with their arms around each other, which is a bit worrying. I've only met up with my 71 year old dad once since February, for about an hour, outdoors at the train station near his (so that he didn't have to get on transport himself), and we stood over two metres apart and both wore masks the whole time - we didn't even shag in the lift hug.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: checkoutgirl on September 07, 2020, 04:57:05 PM
I think this thread would be at 50 pages in two days in America and more specifically Florida or California, the crazy states.

These two states have had practically polar opposite responses to COVID, though. California remains one of the most strictly locked-down, whereas Florida has been more or less open for the past couple of months.

Our Governor in California has just recently implied we'll stay locked down until 2021 at least, though I have a feeling that'll change depending on how the election goes in November.

frajer

Blinder Data

These examples make you all seem like such a compassionate bunch.

Lying cowards.

Bazooka

So go on then. Which one of you is brave enough to confess to a Cummingsesque misdemeanour? Admit, repent and ye shall be forgiven.

I flew to Wuhan to check my eyes still worked.

flotemysost

Quote from: Blinder Data on September 08, 2020, 12:52:26 PM
These examples make you all seem like such a compassionate bunch.

Lying cowards.

I also regularly attend anti-mask protests fully kitted out in my best Sports Direct clobber, having had a few pints at the local 'Spoons en route. Normally end up meeting a few sexy 65+'s there and will often have a snogging and rimming session afterwards.

bgmnts

I definitely stayed out for an extra 20 minutes, on top of the daily hour exercise allowance, to walk around the woods in the spring/summer.

Pseudopath

I sometimes...  no I'm too ashamed to admit it.

From time to time, I...  be strong. You can do this.

OK. On a small number of occasions, I have reused a disposable face mask.

Please don't be too mean.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on September 07, 2020, 04:58:27 PM
I have not Eaten Out to Help Out once, in fact have never entered a restaurant or pub since the start of the pandemic, despite Sunak trying to get me to. I don't like the way the name makes me feel like I'm not helping when I am by staying at home.

you're a beautiful soul, fambo

Blinder Data

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 08, 2020, 10:47:26 PM

Oh yeah I've done this loads of times. I think I've kept mine for about two weeks before washing.

Fr.Bigley

Must admit, I tried to do the 'Eat out to spread' out but the two bookings I made were double booked and the last one I attempted had a line down the street at 8pm, restaurant closed at 9pm...thought "Fuck it, that's a sign". Whilst stood in that queue for the 5 mins before abandoning the idea I overheard a bunch of students arriving into town who had loudly, and proudly exclaimed "this is my third eat out this week"...that was enough for me...these are the germ ridden little shits responsible for the spike in this city and with the possiblity of local lockdown imminent I'm glad we didn't mix with this petri dish of shitheads.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Pseudopath on September 08, 2020, 10:47:26 PM

I am too good for this thread, as someone who spent the day swimming in an isolated part of the sea in early June but has otherwise not gone fucking anywhere since this shit went down- not even for daily exercise- but I did wonder about this disposable mask business why you can't just plop it down somewhere out of the way for a couple of days, then go back to it once Jehovah's cleansed it.  Apparently you can, just so long as you wash your hands after taking it off, which you'd do anyway. https://tinyurl.com/y4lsvq2w

Thomas

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 09, 2020, 10:07:13 AM
an isolated part of the sea

Can't isolate molecules in constant motion, mate. Your Speedo germs probably swam right up a care home tube.

Blinder Data

Today we had friends (same household) visit us for the first time; all of us live in restricted council areas. As it was pissing it down they came indoors and we had a full on indoors day. Played board games. No windows open. It was really nice.

I apologise to the COVID gods.

Sebastian Cobb

I just heard on the radio some takeaways in Manchester have gotten fined because they delivered outside of the 10pm curfew. Which seems a daft arbitrary rule.

Blue Jam

All the time at werk. I'm in a little room on my own all day, I'm not wearing a fucking mask.

wooders1978

Popped into the butchers the other day, maskless, I'm sorry to report, they were good sports whilst I remembered mid order I'd forgot to put my mask on and remarked there's no point now

Zetetic

Stoneage Dinosaurs

I touch my face quite a lot of the time, because it gets itchy as fuck. I do tend to get a little overzealous with the hand sanitiser though so it evens out I reckon.

JaDanketies

That recent story of a 34 year old man at a rave in London who intervened in a fight and got stabbed to death was tragic. But a thought did occur to me: "34? Surely that's old enough to know better not to gather for an illegal COVID party?" But while I haven't started attending mass gatherings, I haven't followed the guidelines to the letter and bet you lot haven't either.

If I'd have known this was going to go on as long as it is, I might've been inclined to go to one of those street raves, and I'm in my early 30s. That's what I miss the most.

I've gone to the pub a couple of times. Hung out with friends when you weren't supposed to, although I kept my distance. Seen the in-laws. My mum and MIL have babysat a few times while we worked from home. The baby has probably been in contact with loads of people, he'll be a proper little vector.