Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:58:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fantasy Football 2020 - 2021

Started by holyzombiejesus, September 08, 2020, 09:43:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phes

Think this is my 7th week 2 Wildcard in 9 years. I'm an absolute disaster at picking opening teams. I'd normally urge patience but I have watched my team play.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 14, 2020, 06:48:07 PM
Not sold on De Bruyne - are man city still squad rotation merchants? Lot of money to spend on a player who spends 10 games a season in the bench or whatever.

Think he was the game's top scoring midfielder last year. My biggest risk is Foden.

The Culture Bunker

My fatal error in that first week was putting faith in Liverpool's defensive prowess, having the keeper and both full backs. I had put Willian and Jiminez in my initial team before swapping both out in favour of spending big at the back. Ouch.

Basically need Werner to smash a second half hat trick (all set up by Mount) to salvage it.

Ferris

Alonso, Pulisic and Abraham combining for a mighty 1 point so far. Well worth the 22m investment.

The Lurker

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on September 14, 2020, 06:48:07 PM
Not sold on De Bruyne - are man city still squad rotation merchants? Lot of money to spend on a player who spends 10 games a season in the bench or whatever.

Yeah, that's why I'm considering selling him for Salah. We'll see...

Emma Raducanu

How does selecting team Captain work? Can you (or should you) keep changing it? I seemed to loose lots of points by not putting Salah in as captain.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: The Lurker on September 14, 2020, 10:16:32 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm considering selling him for Salah. We'll see...

De Bruyne doesn't really get withdrawn that much. Last season he played 2790 minutes, compared to Salah's 2879. Even though he played 89 minutes less, he outscored him.

Blinder Data

On the question of Liverpool defenders, I stuck with TAA over VvD due to the ludricous amount of assists he provided last year.

phes

Quote from: DolphinFace on September 14, 2020, 10:44:02 PM
How does selecting team Captain work? Can you (or should you) keep changing it? I seemed to loose lots of points by not putting Salah in as captain.

Entirely at your discretion. The highest scoring players are solid captaincy choices. You could leave it on one to relieve yourself of the headache of deciding, or switch up to favour form and fixtures. Overall, going with the form player with good fixtures will probably get you more points. Premium is no guarantee though - sterling went through a phase of repeatedly destroying managers weeks earlier in the season, but then went balistic towards the end of the season. Aubamayang looks to be one of the more consistent premiums if you want a steady trickle of decent points without runs of blanks

Don't beat yourself up about Salah though. Everyone who capped him will tell you in retrospect it was obvious, but that kind of score is very infrequent for him. That said, despite the fact it came from two penalties, take it as a warning

Also, I scored 30 points. So don't take my advice

Ferris

Quote from: phes on September 18, 2020, 05:19:57 PM
Entirely at your discretion. The highest scoring players are solid captaincy choices. You could leave it on one to relieve yourself of the headache of deciding, or switch up to favour form and fixtures. Overall, going with the form player with good fixtures will probably get you more points. Premium is no guarantee though - sterling went through a phase of repeatedly destroying managers weeks earlier in the season, but then went balistic towards the end of the season. Aubamayang looks to be one of the more consistent premiums if you want a steady trickle of decent points without runs of blanks

Don't beat yourself up about Salah though. Everyone who capped him will tell you in retrospect it was obvious, but that kind of score is very infrequent for him. That said, despite the fact it came from two penalties, take it as a warning

Also, I scored 30 points. So don't take my advice

There's also team play style to consider, and that's the other thing that puts me off man city. They have so many outlets your expensive prima donna might not get anything. They might not even play.

Lpool seem to put everything through Salah (the very few times I watch them) so he usually gets something, a goal or an assist maybe. Even bonus points in 0-0 and a clean sheet makes it worthwhile to captain him. You could say similar for other teams (Grealish at Villa or Vardy at Leicester, but neither of those teams really score much so you'll get less joy by default.

phes

I haven't got the stats to hand, but KdB outscored Salah last year. And the liverpool attacking points swung back and forward between Salah and Mane. Salah is a solid option but on top of KdB outscoring salah, my guess is that he'd have also returned in more individual matches than Salah. Sterling is less reliable. Salah also gets fewer bonus points than you might expect (or at least did until he was put on pens) as his shot conversion rate has been poor in the past. I can't envisage you would ever get bonus points for salah without attacking returns. In previous seasons the the complaint is that he'd fail to get them despite attacking returns

Ferris

Very possibly! Don't let the fact that I've typed a lot of words obscure the fact I don't really know what I'm doing.

phes

I'd have agreed until KdB somehow managed to find his shooting boots in between 2018/19 and 2019/20. He was actually pretty shit in front of goal relative to his all round game prior to that. Now he appears to have gone 100% monster. If I was going to hand someone that C based on everything going though them, it would be him

13 goals in 19/20, five more than his previous best

holyzombiejesus

I swapped him (KdB) back out of my team and brought Aubameyang back in, although will be transferring him back out in favour of De Bruyne at 5pm as I'm sure his (and Martial, Rashford and Fernandez) value will increase tomorrow. Swapped Virgil van Dijk for Digne too. No Liverpool defenders! In fact, no Liverpool players at all.

phes

I also have no liverpool players.

Doubling down on my 30 point opener. Liverpool defenders were not great value before their defense got themselves sorted a third of the way though last season, so I guess there is a precedent for it. They were missing Allison for much of that, though.

Everton look a pretty safe bet for clean sheets this year on paper, and based on last week

The Lurker

I have VVD in from Liverpool but that's it. Could always sell Son to buy Salah, would have to do it next game week though.

The Lurker

monkfromhavana

Mitrovic and captaining Rodriguez has probably saved my week. Still got 5 to play, so should scramble over 50 points.

El Unicornio, mang

Looks like no.1 is going to stay the same after those 4 Son goals...

bgmnts

Maupay and his 13 points on the bench. Fucksaaaaaake.

Bamford (14 points), Wilson (2 points), Calvert-Lewin (17 points). You can guess which forward I captained.

Mantle Retractor

Rather than waiting for a double gameweek I triple captained Aubameyang.

I was convinced his fat new contract would see him score 3 and create 3 against a shit West Ham side.

I also brought Tierney in...who promptly injured himself in the warm up.

It's a marathon not a sprint, Clive.

monkfromhavana

Someone in another league I'm in captained Son.

How do you do that? How do you think, I've got a hunch that Son is going to bang in a few today and not captain Aubameyang, De Bruyne or any of the other big hitters in his team?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 21, 2020, 07:40:35 AM

How do you do that? How do you think, I've got a hunch that Son is going to bang in a few today and not captain Aubameyang, De Bruyne or any of the other big hitters in his team?

I have found that going against the obvious choices works sometimes, often just a hunch that a player is "due" a good game. Also the problem with having the obvious ones captained is that everyone else gets the same points so you don't really move up. But I doubt anyone figured Son to bag 4.

maett

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 21, 2020, 07:40:35 AM

A Southampton defense that struggles against speed and that conceded 2 against a not full strength Brentford side mid week. I had Son, Captained Kane and stuck Lloris in goal. Also put 4 quid on Spurs to win. It would have been a good weekend if I wasn't  a Southampton fan.

I'm doing abysmally this year. Missing all the hat-tricks (and haul), though I've always been pretty terrible at predicting goalscorers.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: His Name Is Death on September 27, 2020, 05:51:43 PM
I'm doing abysmally this year. Missing all the hat-tricks (and haul), though I've always been pretty terrible at predicting goalscorers.
My mistake was going with Werner, captain for two out of three games too, and who I've now transferred out. So watch him smash a hat trick past Palace next week.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 27, 2020, 07:36:58 PM
My mistake was going with Werner, captain for two out of three games too, and who I've now transferred out. So watch him smash a hat trick past Palace next week.

That's what I'm fearing, so I'm keeping him in for now. Similarly, if I bring a player in when they're doing well and they suddenly turn rubbish.