Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:11:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Xbox Series S Announced. £249.99

Started by Huxleys Babkins, September 08, 2020, 10:10:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
After a shit-ton of leaks last night, Microsoft have finally announced the Xbox Series S.

60% smaller than the Series X and with no disc drive, this is effectively their budget Gamepass machine. Plays all the same next-gen games as the Series X but at lower detail.

madhair60

Thursday

It's very tempting at that pirce although, I'll want to know about the full specs, 512gb it's a bit small these days, and I'm still someone who likes to get games on disc, so that gives me a lot pause. So let's see the cost of the Series X and Sony Consoles first obviously.

Neomod

The design is very Braun™️ isn't it. Reminds me of the SK5[nb]humblebrag[/nb] I bought for a fiver.

I should be receiving my XBone tomorrow. Plumped for the 1tb with a disk drive as I want to play RDR2 and that's about to be removed from Gamepass.

Non Stop Dancer

I'd be very tempted by that if I were still a gamer. £250 is impulse purchase territory.

imitationleather

Quote from: Non Stop Dancer on September 08, 2020, 05:32:43 PM
I'd be very tempted by that if I were still a gamer. £250 is impulse purchase territory.

#metoo, although I am a somewhat part-time-gamer.

I'll be very interested to see how much the lower spec PS5 is.

Bazooka

I was adamant I wouldn't go digital only for PS5 but then I think about how much I've spent on PS store sales and my digital to physical is probably 80/20, not that I'm going to buy one straight away.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

If you were going digital only why even buy a console? Can't you just buy a wireless controller and get it all through TELLEH now with FIBEH and save my game up int CLOWED?

Glebe

I just bought an Xbox One S recently. Like I can really afford it right now, what am doing?

bomb_dog

Quote from: imitationleather on September 08, 2020, 06:09:52 PM
#metoo, although I am a somewhat part-time-gamer.

I'll be very interested to see how much the lower spec PS5 is.

The only difference between the two PS5s is the Blu-ray drive, so it's unlikely to be priced anywhere near this.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

JamesTC

The Gamepass and console 24 month plans look really tempting.

Series X is £28.99 a month for the console, Gamepass Ultimate (so PC as well as console) and now EA Access which is joining Gamepass soon. Series S is £20.99 a month.

After not giving a toss about the new Xbox, I'm considering getting a Series X with the 24 month sub.

Thursday

Weird how announcing the price and release date has got me considering buying one. Something I wasn't really considering before.

imitationleather

Quote from: JamesTC on September 09, 2020, 06:11:15 PM

Series X is £28.99 a month for the console, Gamepass Ultimate (so PC as well as console) and now EA Access which is joining Gamepass soon. Series S is £20.99 a month.

After not giving a toss about the new Xbox, I'm considering getting a Series X with the 24 month sub.

Hmm... That's shit hot. I am very tempted.

Why should I not do this? Please tell me. I need to know.

JamesTC

Quote from: imitationleather on September 09, 2020, 07:24:34 PM

Do you have a big games backlog? Gamepass will just add a fuckload more to it.

bgmnts

Quote from: imitationleather on September 09, 2020, 07:24:34 PM

512gb

imitationleather

QDRPHNC

Aside from the lack of a physical drive, what's the difference between the S and the X? Is the S less powerful?

JamesTC

brat-sampson

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 09, 2020, 08:48:35 PM
Aside from the lack of a physical drive, what's the difference between the S and the X? Is the S less powerful?

Yeah, there's a full specs breakdown available but essentially from what I've read the X is targeting 4k gaming while the S aims for similar results at 1080P instead.

peanutbutter

Quote from: JamesTC on September 09, 2020, 06:11:15 PM

That's an utterly crazy deal for a new machine. That's including Xbox live and all, right? Is that still a thing? MS basically losing a huge sum of money in the hope they can become the netflix of gaming or some shit once this (possibly final??) console cycle runs out

Can't see Xbox having any exclusives for me to bother with when Im getting a new PC atm regardless, but I'm still tempted.

Non Stop Dancer

I'm also tempted by the monthly payment thing. Daft as fuck really as I could afford to buy one outright with ease but wouldn't, but with the monthly sub it just doesn't feel like spending real money. Christ, this is how The Man gets you isn't it. I'll be buying stuff through Bright House next.

Non Stop Dancer

I mean 20 quid a month. You spend that on sweets don't you.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Bear in mind that the total price you'll be paying after 24 months is £696 for the X, and £504 for the S, and you don't actually own any of the games. They'll prevent access if you stop paying the subscription.

Consignia

It is slightly cheaper than buying the console and sub separately, but it does tie you down to 2 years. I mean, you better be getting your money's worth each month. As well as your getting your self in a credit agreement with the lovely Klarna.

Thursday

Quote from: QDRPHNC on September 09, 2020, 08:48:35 PM

Think the main difference is lack of 4K.

I'll definitely wait a bit first before I make a decision on this, see how they stand up once some games are out for it.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

What would happen if you stopped paying the monthly fee? Would you get Microsoft bailiffs appearing at the door demanding the console back? I never pay for stuff on tick, so I've no idea how things like that work.