Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 02:12:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Pls Like Series 3

Started by The Lurker, September 08, 2020, 10:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Lurker

Not seen a thread on this and wasn't aware there was even going be a third series but good news, there is!

https://www.comedy.co.uk/online/news/5778/pls-like-series-3/

No date confirmed but Babycow Production says it's "coming soon", so there you are...

https://twitter.com/babycowLtd/status/1303403507693817857

BritishHobo

This makes me very happy, thank you. Wonder where on eartg they'll take it. The horrible darkness of the internet, as explored in series 2, has only continued to worsen a thousand times over since then.

paruses

Enjoyed these but worry that part of my pleasure comes from being a reactionary old man jealous of these millenials making money for doing nothing.

Unfortunately I can't remember any of the story arc for S2. I can't really remember any bits tbh except Natasha D's ASMRtist which made me laugh and cringe a lot. I seem to recall that S2 was quite cruel in its treatment of the YouTube couple.

Was Millie going to try and break America?

Any chance to see Tim Key is good though, whatever they do.

I also can't remember any of the second series apart from the aforementioned ASMR stuff and some bloke hamming it up amusingly as a PewDiePie type.

Should be going after TikTok as well as YouTube in series 3 you'd hope.

Retinend

I love this show! This is great news

The Lurker

BritishHobo

Beautiful. Been on a little rewatch recently, and a little bit of aiam Williams binge, culminating in the audiobook of his novel from last year.

So delighted to hear it's back so soon. Cheers Lurker!

lazyhour

Thanks to this thread I rewatched series 1 last night and it's great, isn't it?

Anyone know where series 2 can be found online? It's not on iPlayer as far as I can tell, though series 1 is.

BritishHobo

It's gone back onto iPlayer now, presumably so new viewers can catch up before series 3. Thank god because, like you, I was really struggling to locate it. Had to resort to looking in naughty places which annoys me, as I'd be perfectly happy to support Liam Williams by paying to obtain it. It's frustrating with the BBC when they take something down but making it inaccessible elsewhere.

ANYWAY THOUGH. Series 3 tomorrow. Christ I can't wait.

chveik

will this also be on youtube like last time?

Retinend

I am also looking forward to this.

BritishHobo

Two episodes in so far. Show has me grinning right from that intro music. I love the little world it's built. The daft worldbuilding of in-show Liam going off between seasons and hacking away trying to build a career making sub-Vice hipster documentaries and films. I remember being surprised in series 1 how much fondness I ended up with for the characters, and it's grown with every series.

Funny and pinpoint accurate as ever so far as well. They capture everything they cover so perfectly.

BlodwynPig

I have seen Eleanor Narwal (Honeydew) in something before - but her imdb and British comedy guide credits only list a small handful of roles that I haven't seen. Any ideas?

BritishHobo

I've been really struggling to place her as well. Let me know if you figure it out.

Liam's
Spoiler alert
daiky routine video
[close]
in episode 5 is fantastic.

Blue Jam

Great to see this back. I love this show.

I also loved James Wirm going a bit Eddie Hearn in episode 3 of this series.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: BritishHobo on January 24, 2021, 08:57:36 PM
I've been really struggling to place her as well. Let me know if you figure it out.

Liam's
Spoiler alert
daiky routine video
[close]
in episode 5 is fantastic.

Always good to see futility in comedy.

The Lurker

Finally watched every episode. Brilliant series, everything is spot on and the last two episodes are a particular delight.
Spoiler alert
Good little twist with Honeydew
[close]
in the final episode and a great, funny ending too.

Also have no idea where I've seen Eleanor Nawal before. I assumed it was an advert but her Spotlight page doesn't have any ads listed so... fuck knows.

The Lurker

I've also just found out mukbang is an actual trend and not just something made up by the show...

Retinend

"mukbang" does sound completely made up

I was watching series 2 again and "dump ghost" is a really good name for the PewDiePie stand-in character. It's not something obvious like "Schmudi CAKE", it's cleverer than that.

Retinend

I like it when Liam laughs like a little boy at Hayley Thatch's "SPUUUUNGE" before thinking a moment and declaring: "it's not witty, though".

Thatch finds this more endearing than offensive, however, because she helps him go viral by the conclusion of the episode.

The "horse brasses" guy was great value, too. I think the "microinfluencer" episode (s03e05) was my favorite this series, all in all.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Retinend on January 28, 2021, 02:19:10 PMI was watching series 2 again and "dump ghost" is a really good name for the PewDiePie stand-in character. It's not something obvious like "Schmudi CAKE", it's cleverer than that.

It's a reference to the gaming term "ghost tier" isn't it? I like that because it looks like Liam Williams really did his research.

Retinend

Oh is that right?  It works at a couple of levels, then.

I was thinking, in addition to sounding realistic somehow, how it worked at a word-association level - a childish-seeming moniker like "ghost" paired with something foul, like a "dump", or how to carelessly "dump" something and to fly away from the responsibility of doing so represents his moral character.

The dump ghost bloke is used too sparingly in this series, the boxing episode is comfortably the strongest in my eyes. Loved the Logan Paul style podcast he has which always starts out with good intentions.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Retinend on January 28, 2021, 03:05:11 PM
Oh is that right?  It works at a couple of levels, then.

I was thinking, in addition to sounding realistic somehow, how it worked at a word-association level - a childish-seeming moniker like "ghost" paired with something foul, like a "dump", or how to carelessly "dump" something and to fly away from the responsibility of doing so represents his moral character.

In gaming "ghost mode", "ghost tier" etc often refer to stealthy playstyles and achievements, or just plain badassery. So the name is something cool and badass paired with something juvenile and disgusting. In other words, something that really does sound like an Xbox gamertag.

As you say, there's also the thing of running away from responsibilities, and I guess there's also the thing of "ghosting" people on dating apps and social media which is another example of that.

Looks like it works on many levels!

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Speaking of Dump Ghost; his turn away from the dark side at the end of series 2 felt like a bit of a deus ex machina, if I remember correctly. Have any of his real world inspirations ever shown similar contrition for their obnoxiousness/outright bigotry? His bashing the 'Free Speech' button on his podcast felt truer to life.

That aside, I really rather like this show. It's nie that it doesn't take the lazy route of just tutting at millennials. Honeydew's response to Liam in the last episode - throwing his (and probably a lot of the audience's) presumptions back at him - was a nice touch.
Matter of fact, I've enjoyed everything I've seen by (the real) Liam Williams.

Retinend

Quote from: Ludicrous Display on January 28, 2021, 03:17:45 PM
The dump ghost bloke is used too sparingly in this series, the boxing episode is comfortably the strongest in my eyes. Loved the Logan Paul style podcast he has which always starts out with good intentions.

My first thought was the Joe Rogan podcast. I think the guest bringing up "reading Carl Jung up a mountain... on mushrooms" was a veiled reference to Jordan Peterson, who often brings up Jung's archetypes as an explanatory concept, and who also appeared many times on that show.

BritishHobo

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 24, 2021, 10:03:49 PM
Great to see this back. I love this show.

I also loved James Wirm going a bit Eddie Hearn in episode 3 of this series.

I love his and Liam's relationship - two blokes cagily getting in each other's way while trying to further their own careers by pretending to care more about the wellbeing of the vloggers.

As has been said, I liked that it ultimately came to Liam accepting you can't gatekeep the next generation, and that you have to stay open to what they're doing, even if it seems totally bizarre to you. I also really like that Millipede seems to act the age of the increasingly younger generations of viral stars that surround her.

Retinend

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 28, 2021, 04:42:55 PM
Speaking of Dump Ghost; his turn away from the dark side at the end of series 2 felt like a bit of a deus ex machina, if I remember correctly. Have any of his real world inspirations ever shown similar contrition for their obnoxiousness/outright bigotry? His bashing the 'Free Speech' button on his podcast felt truer to life.

You're right - it is out of the blue. I think Williams was deliberately putting his own words into the character's mouth to prove a point: to show how little would be required of the PewDiePies of this world to show that they are decent people:

Dump Ghost: Everyone should have freedom of speech but even John Stuart Mill (the great champion of the concept) said that no one should harm another human being through their speech. I see now that my words have caused harm, so I'm going to say sorry. This isn't about my right to make a joke: I realize now that jokes have consequences; harmful consequences; so if I make a joke about Jews and someone who hates Jews thinks that that's a sign that he should hate Jews then that's not right.

Regarding your question, I became better disposed towards Mr. Kjellberg after hearing him interviewed on this New York Times podcast series about Social Media radicalization:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/21/podcasts/rabbit-hole-PewDiePie-youtube-virus.html?action=click&module=audio-series-bar&pgtype=Article&region=header
The Rabbit Hole Episode 6 "Impasse" - go to minute 13 or so

He talks to the newspaper in order to admit that he was retiring the Paul Joseph Watson rhetoric about "the media". This was sparked by his hearing his own  name ("subscribe to PewdiePie") from the mouth of the Christchurch killer. Oh, and episode 5 covers the entirety career of PewDiePie up until that point. It's a great listen and relevant to the themes of series 2 taken as a whole.

notjosh

Done five episodes now. James Wirm hearing the story of Sisyphus for the first time is the most I've laughed in ages.