Author Topic: Crusader Kings 3  (Read 2176 times)

Mobius

• he who hingeth aboot getteth hee haw
Crusader Kings 3
« on: September 09, 2020, 05:11:44 AM »
Anyone got this? Any fans?

I've started about 20 new games already. The tutorial and stuff are a bit more accessible this time around, but I'm still finding watching Youtube tutorials immensely helpful.

A ridiculously deep game full of micromanagement. Lots of fun.

Re: Crusader Kings 3
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2020, 01:24:19 PM »
wife has been hooked since released, i haven’t had a chance to get started yet.

yet.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 04:33:27 AM »
Loved what I've played of this thus far. The 3D-modelled characters in particular are a massive improvement over the portraits in the last game, especially when it comes to characters ageing. I'm finding myself a bit overwhelmed with some stuff though, even having played CK2 for a long time.

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2020, 11:17:12 AM »
I've started about 20 new games already. The tutorial and stuff are a bit more accessible this time around, but I'm still finding watching Youtube tutorials immensely helpful.

How much more accessible? Better than the one in CK2 that goes "Okay, we've shown you 0.1% of the stuff in the game, you're on your own now. Troops are massing on your borders and we haven't even touched on military stuff lol"? If I'm going to spend £45 on this fucker I don't want to have to go traipsing round YouTube to find out how to play it.

Bleeding Kansas

• Them as 'as nowt is nowt
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2020, 11:37:12 AM »
It's on the MS Game pass for PC I think which might be a cheaper way of trying it out.

Gurke and Hare

• Fold water. Roll into small cubes.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 08:52:26 PM »
It's on the MS Game pass for PC I think which might be a cheaper way of trying it out.

Thanks, but I'm a Linux person so no such luck.

Mobius

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2020, 09:50:08 PM »
How much more accessible? Better than the one in CK2 that goes "Okay, we've shown you 0.1% of the stuff in the game, you're on your own now. Troops are massing on your borders and we haven't even touched on military stuff lol"? If I'm going to spend £45 on this fucker I don't want to have to go traipsing round YouTube to find out how to play it.

The tutorial does go into battles, but yeah regardless of how much more improved the tutorial is, there's still a lot of stuff that's confusing.

I generally hate having to do extra work to learn a game but for some reason with CK, I don't mind. I've been enjoying peoples playthroughs on youtube, enjoy the historical aspect and learning a bit along the way

But yeah it is a dense, hard game. If you really hated CK2, then 3 might not be for you.

There are a ton of mods already that make aspects of the game less punishing if you want a more casual experience. Personally I play on Very Easy mode because the game is nails.

Zetetic

• I wasn't supposed to be around this long, so…
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2020, 10:36:59 PM »
Is hard? Partly it helps that you can mostly ignore stuff in CK3, and muddle through. More so than any EU game, for example.

Military affairs are overwhelmingly about having more troops in practice, at least as far as I can tell, and that's overwhelmingly about having enough land (or enough money to buy mercenaries - which you probably don't, at the start).

I guess it depends what you're trying to achieve though. If you're trying to conquer Europe then I imagine you probable do need to get better at the min/maxing.

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 10:53:08 AM »
I love paradox games, put a lot of time into EU4. Never got into CK2 as I found the whole interface a bit bewildering and lots of the mechanics and stuff quite impenetrable.

Really want to play this but I’m on a Mac. I’d need to upgrade to Catalina OS to play it as it’s 64 bit. But Catalina doesn’t support 32 bit games, meaning I seemingly wouldn’t be able to play anything else in my Steam library. Cheeeeeers.

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2020, 01:09:57 PM »
Decided to upgrade to Catalina and buy it. Keeps freezing every 5 minutes so that I have to turn the computer off.

Mobius

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 09:15:02 PM »
If you so wish, you can play Crusader Kings 3 for entirely free (NO MONEY) for the next 3-4 days

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1158310/Crusader_Kings_III/

They've also just released the first of what'll be many DLC, The Northern Lords

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1303183/Crusader_Kings_III_Northern_Lords/

kryton2.0

• Keep calm. Breathe.
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 10:58:12 PM »
Am I right in saying they didn't include any of the 'weird' stuff from CK2, like demonic children and werewolves and the more magical/mysterious and non-historical elements?
If so, I'll put money on that being a future DLC.

Mobius

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 12:01:01 AM »
Yeah that stuff isn't in Crusader Kings 3 yet. I'm sure it'll come down the line. There's a load of mods and stuff that probably already have it covered though.

Fry

• BIG UNIT
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 02:36:17 AM »
I've banged my head against this game a couple of times, not really managed to get on with it. Does anybody have a YouTuber they recommend for learning the game?

Mobius

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 02:45:57 AM »
Italian Spartacus was a good one I remember from when I started playing. One Proud Bavarian is good too.

If you haven't already I'd suggest playing the Tutorial as it's actually pretty helpful. Play on Very Easy, or pick someone a bit overpowered like Harald Fairhair.

Something that helped me to 'get' the game was to stop treating it like other games e.g. trying to win, getting frustrated when things don't go your way, or losing interest when your character dies or get fucked over. It's hard to do but I just try and roll with whatever happens. Treat it like a roleplay campaign or something.

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 08:46:56 AM »
I put about 1500 hours into CK2. I am currently trying to steer clear of CK3 as it is like crack to me.

My one piece of advice for the franchise is to ignore the urge to conquer stuff.

The military side of things has never been that complex and it's a bit like poker in that you can basically win by using the size of your stack to lean on people simply by being larger and choosing your moment. There's fun to be had there but it's not really what the game is about...

The problem is that, say you expand from a barony to a kingdom in a couple of generations, you wind up having to manage your vassals, your family, and your council. Being good at fighting won't help you with that.

CK is about governance and governance isn't about fighting but about managing your dynasty. It's about having your kids marry well, cultivating the skills of your grandkids, and knowing who can be trusted to run a border barony without giving all the land away to his halfwit drinking buddies.

Best way to develop those skills is to play the game a bit more like the sims. Focus on skills and relationships rather than acquiring more land. Get a feel for your family and learn how to operate the control levers the game provides and only then seek to expand your holdings.

Playing as a Muslim in CK2 taught me a lot as the game forced you to expand and hand  new land over to your sons. I could handle the expansion but within a generation or so I was handing real estate over to these toothless inbred neglected half-bastards who couldn't be trusted to hold on to the land I gave them.

kryton2.0

• Keep calm. Breathe.
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2021, 02:31:20 PM »
Yep, CK2 is defo a game that you should never 'try and win'. For me it's more a story generator and as mentioned half the fun is trying to deal with all the social/family problems that come with trying to run an empire. Your lunatic, hunchbacked heir won't last long and may cause revolts, but maybe your dashing second son just might be the King people desire.

Tags: