Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 729
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:32:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Oscillations RIP

Started by Rizla, September 09, 2020, 05:35:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

That's yer Simeone Coxe from out of the Silver Apples away. A band that genuinely blew my mind when I first heard them in the 90s, ridiculously ahead of/out of their time.

Hard to pick a favourite song by them as everything on their 2 original LPs is solid gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jS2eNhhAqHA

Sin Agog

Saw them when they were doing a tour of British churches a few years ago.  Or at least I guess I saw Coxe and someone else, as the other apple had died by that point.  I fucking hate museum exhibition-style sitting-only gigs, though.  I muttered something to this effect to my friend next to me.  A fellow longhair nearby heard my words and whispered if I wanted to get up and dance.  So we started throwing shapes in the aisles to the reverberations issuing from Coxe's home-made electronic rig, before the whole church got up from their pews and did likewise.  Lovely memory.

Though I am old with wandering
Through hollow lands and hilly lands,
I will find out where she has gone,
And kiss her lips and take her hands;
And walk among long dappled grass,
And pluck till time and times are done,
The silver apples of the moon,
The golden apples of the sun.

sevendaughters

I Have Known Love is such a weirdly heartbreaking song.

the science eel

Yeah, you hear that 'ahead of their time' line for a lot of bands that just don't deserve it, but these two? fuck me they were making what was essentially 90s music in the late 60s. Absolutely astonishing. And it was really groovy, too - accessible, funky, fun. Love them to bits.

'Program' fucking slaughters me. Play loud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aeU8peWXSZM&pbjreload=101

Crabwalk

Quote from: sevendaughters on September 09, 2020, 06:06:54 PM
I Have Known Love is such a weirdly heartbreaking song.

Yeah, that's my favourite Silver Apples song. It's amazing.

Quote from: Rizla on September 09, 2020, 05:35:26 PM
A band that genuinely blew my mind when I first heard them in the 90s, ridiculously ahead of/out of their time.

Yeah never heard anything like it either back then, I think it was Lovefingers that a record digging friend played first.

Famous Mortimer

I saw em in 1997 or 1998, in Brighton? My memory is shot to hell, it was coastal is all I remember. Fantastic show.

Puce Moment

Saw them quite a few years ago (2006-7?) in Rough Trade London - found out later I was about three feet from Serge.

Pete Kember did a nice tribute yesterday

jobotic

Pete Kember did a great version of A Pox On You.

They were at Field Day when I went but we couldn't get into the tent so watched Mike Paradinas instead (I think). It was great but I wish we'd pushed now.

ASFTSN

Quote from: the science eel on September 09, 2020, 06:15:26 PM
Yeah, you hear that 'ahead of their time' line for a lot of bands that just don't deserve it, but these two? fuck me they were making what was essentially 90s music in the late 60s. Absolutely astonishing.

Especially when you read the anecdote about them being more or less forgotten and Simeon only realising they had fans by over hearing some hipsters talk about them in a club.

Ferris

Never consciously listened to 'em. Will fix that sharpish.

The Mollusk

Quote from: ASFTSN on September 10, 2020, 02:21:25 PM
Especially when you read the anecdote about them being more or less forgotten and Simeon only realising they had fans by over hearing some hipsters talk about them in a club.

That's really cute.

What a band, honestly. Proto-dance music without a doubt. Not to detract from Coxey's funeral thread but Danny Taylor was a fucking demon on the drums.

Sin Agog

I remember buying the wrong album back when I heard about them in the early '00s.  I searched for 'Silver Apples/Electronic Music Pioneers', and ended up getting something called Silver Apples of the Moon by Morton Subotnik (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G1hRNLlYpg).  It sounded like the most terrifyingly intense episode of The Clangers ever made.

ArtParrott

Quote from: Puce Moment on September 10, 2020, 12:18:02 PM
Pete Kember did a nice tribute yesterday

Do you have a link? I tried looking myself but didn't find anything

justin_bennett

NTS doing a tribute right now (2-3pm Friday): https://www.nts.live/