Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Thou must be joking! A thread about the band Thou.

Started by The Mollusk, September 09, 2020, 09:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

At a cursory glance they're a fucking heavy and rather busy band. But wait, just how heavy are they, and just how busy are they? Well, they're pretty fucking busy. Over 50 releases since 2005, in fact. Of course, only 5 of these are proper, full-length albums, but amongst all of that you've got another 13 EPs and a shit load of split/collabs (most notably with fellow metal/noise subverters The Body) and a bunch of cover albums, including a whole heap of devastating Nirvana and Black Sabbath versions.

Yeah, but how heavy are they? Well, they are undeniably very heavy some of the time. But then before 2018's monumental album Magus, they released 3 EPs in the space of 3 months which explored drone as well as more of their dark folk and conventional melodic leanings. They are certainly a band defying expectations of extreme music, and they seem to be having a lot of fun doing it.

Not only are they prolific as hell, they also release a large amount of their music for free (pay what you like) and are pretty much self-sufficient in terms of management, and their frontman seems like a really lovely chap from their interviews. Wholesome heavy metal!

This is a great interview for demonstrating what they're about and how much of a good egg the singer is.

Cheeky couple of songs? Go on then.

The Changeling Prince is a fantastic slice of blackened doom from their critically-acclaimed 2018 album Magus.

Something in The Way (Nirvana cover)

Beyond the Realms of Dream, That Fleeting Shade Under the Corpus of Vanity (collaboration with The Body)

Fuck, I absolutely live for this sort of music. So good.

The Mollusk

Haha fuck me, just watched their KEXP set playing with The Body. They started with a cover of Marilyn Manson's Irresponsible Hate Anthem, which was a bit sloppy as a live studio thing and didn't really capture the weight of their playing, but during the midway chat they said they had another cover to play. I was certainly not expecting it to be The fucking Chain for fucks sake, but it is, and they tear it up. Absolute state of Chip King's hellish bloke-whose-skin-is-permanently-on-fire vocals screaming "RUNNING THROUGH THE SHADOW" through the crescendo. Fantastic.

Dirty Boy

Never heard them, but i'll give 'em a shot. Sounds a bit Swans-ish going on your spiel.

In terms of blackened sludge or whatever you'd call it, Primitive Man are a band i've discovered recently. Their most recent album is a more digestable length, although  It's still not something i can have on that often given they sound (and look) utterly terrifying and it does my head in after a while (imagine Crowbar without all those sprightly tunes and uplifting lyrics).

'eavy

The Mollusk

Quote from: Dirty Boy on September 10, 2020, 01:14:16 PM
Never heard them, but i'll give 'em a shot. Sounds a bit Swans-ish going on your spiel.

I think they have more of a ... sense of humour? ... than Swans, or at the very least they're definitely a much more modern take on subverting heavy music standards in how open-minded and genial they are.

I was talking to a friend last night who's mates with the guitarist from Anaal Nathrakh and they'd spoken recently about this more modern wave of noise/power electronics fusing with extremely slow or dissonant guitar stuff, such as Full of Hell, or The Body. Apparently yer man from AN said something along the lines of "aren't The Body actually an insider joke band?" and I'm lead to believe a load of metal traditionalists think of this stuff as being, I dunno, false metal I guess? And I sincerely think that a part of that is how inclusive, subversive, and - hell I'll say it - woke this new wave is.

It's greatly amusing to me that fans of a genre which is famous for kicking back against the norm and being as loud about it as possible are now getting frustrated because the genre is continuing to do that (albeit with a shifting set of cultural standards) instead of just staying the same. Fucking losers, mate.

QuoteIn terms of blackened sludge or whatever you'd call it, Primitive Man are a band i've discovered recently. Their most recent album is a more digestable length, although  It's still not something i can have on that often given they sound (and look) utterly terrifying and it does my head in after a while (imagine Crowbar without all those sprightly tunes and uplifting lyrics).

'eavy

I gave their album Caustic a listen a couple of days ago, as it happens (they were recommended in the Duma thread too). I do enjoy it but I found it a little bit too slow and crushing for my liking. Tonally it was great and I love how utterly unrelentingly bleak and heavy it is, but stylistically there wasn't quite enough variation to justify a fucking hour and 17 minutes on one record. Interesting to see that the new one's basically half the length, so I'll give that a spin today I reckon.

Dirty Boy

Quote(they were recommended in the Duma thread too)
Yeah, by me! I'm proud to have brought forth something even you find "too crushing" :-D

Nah, i agree really, Immersion is an easier listen in that it still sounds oppressive and deranged and flabby arsed, but doesn't go on as long.

The Mollusk

Haha, sorry, I could have just checked the thread to see if it was you!

Quoteoppressive and deranged and flabby arsed

Laughed at this.

Yeah, this is pretty good... but I've got a bad attention span, and around halfway through most of their songs  I find myself saying, in the voice of Kevin Eldon from this sketch, "Lads, come on, finish up now please, quick as you can." I appreciate this is probably only funny to me.

I'm totally into these threads diverting into wider genre territory, by the way. I'm always eager to discover as much utterly wretched horrible metal as possible.

Recently I discovered Dragged Into Sunlight (fantastic band name) who are a punishing blend of black/death metal and also some sweet classic heavy metal vibes at times. This track from their excellent debut album should whet the appetite. I fucking love how the production sounds on this record. Awesome vocals and thundering double kicks. They did a split with Gnaw Their Tongues in 2015 which also really good.

jobotic

Just realised the cover of Sweat Leaf I've enjoyed for a couple of years is this band!

Awesome, although this music with clean vocals would be even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ows3fJauJ8M

Dirty Boy

Despite the current prevalence of bleak and rainy nights, i haven't found the time to listen to Magus yet, but i have heard the new gubbins they've done with Emma Ruth Rundle which is triffic [nb]except that one song that reminds me of Avril Lavigne[/nb]

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: jobotic on September 13, 2020, 01:30:34 AM
Just realised the cover of Sweat Leaf I've enjoyed for a couple of years is this band!

Awesome, although this music with clean vocals would be even better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ows3fJauJ8M

See the above recommended album, plus the new EP as well. Excellent stuff!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9tiT3sgT-A

Dirty Boy

Arrrgghhh! that's the Lavigney one!

Oh it's a cover, didnae know that...

Al Tha Funkee Homosapien

Quote from: Dirty Boy on January 20, 2021, 07:29:34 PM
Arrrgghhh! that's the Lavigney one!

Oh it's a cover, didnae know that...

Yep, Cranberries cover.