Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 11:46:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Black rappers that use 'the n word'

Started by JaDanketies, September 09, 2020, 10:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 12, 2020, 12:10:50 PM
It's so nice of you to come down off your hand-wringing Stop the War Coalition vegan Corbynite high horse and speak to us on behalf of black people. Especially since you're such a busy husband and parent piping "bitch" and the n-word into your wife and child's ears 24 hours a day. Where do you find the time?

Like I said, I have self-censored now that I don't want to say any swear words around my child, as he's picking up language.

chveik

most of the time the word isn't used as a political statement but as some sort of punctuation. it seems weird to me to find its use lazy, it's just there.

JaDanketies

Quote from: chveik on September 12, 2020, 04:36:28 PM
most of the time the word isn't used as a political statement but as some sort of punctuation. it seems weird to me to find its use lazy, it's just there.

if your rap is about n*****s, bitches and jewellery, it's lazy imo. Replace n****** with literally anything else - carpeting, the average day at work, watching paint dry - and you've suddenly written something far more interesting.

MF DOOM says, "where my n****s go, Figaro Figaro" - that's much better for me. At least it rhymes.

Like I said, I won't dislike an otherwise good song because it's got the n-word in it. But it will make me dislike a shitty song more.

The fact that very few people have even admitted that they don't like the word, even when black people use it, and would prefer it wouldn't be used, is remarkable and it does kinda hint towards some hivemindedness. The Mollusk is real mad about it and you can tell people think I'm saying something racially offensive. By saying I don't like the n-word.

Sin Agog

I think James Baldwin said on the Dick Cavett show that 'integration means being an assistant in your own murder.' N-- may appear to be a synonym of bro or whatever, but beneath that what it really means is the second we forget why we're here we'll have fully-integrated and lost something essential.  I wouldn't want to deny an African-American that knowledge on a visceral level.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 12, 2020, 04:41:35 PM
if your rap is about n*****s, bitches and jewellery, it's lazy imo. Replace n****** with literally anything else - carpeting, the average day at work, watching paint dry - and you've suddenly written something far more interesting.

This so completely basic, patronising and really comes from a laughable sense of white privilege when it comes to tone-policing black people. I've seen you about on here espesh under your old Here4Glinner name and you've definitely spoken about having to deal with probably experiencing your own internal racism and tbh this is part of that.

Quote from: here4glinner on June 27, 2020, 10:51:24 PM
I think we're all a little bit racist. Once I said in a Facebook group, as evidence for this, that we would all respond differently to a group of black kids, or South Asian kids, or white kids, hanging around in a dark alley, than a group of Chinese kids or Jewish kids.

I try to keep alert to this kinda microaggression racism. I live in a city with millions of people in it, all of whom look different, and my dumb mammal brain decides to segregate them into different categories and ascribe certain hazards to them. If I get on the bus, I might deliberately sit next to a black or Asian guy as part of my hyper-vigilant wokeness.

Sorry to dig, but I distinctly remember this chat from the Glin threads

JaDanketies

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 12, 2020, 05:21:42 PM
This so completely basic, patronising and really comes from a laughable sense of white privilege when it comes to tone-policing black people.

The fact is that there is a lot of Pop rap out there about diamonds, bitches and n***** and it's not what I like. I don't think there's a single song out there about those subjects that I like. Do you accept that there is music out there about those subjects?

You previously said I would have a problem with you writing music with the word tr*nny in it. If Debbie Hayton started calling herself a tr*nny, and you saw a cis person criticising them for normalising this word to their cis, transphobic followers, I assume you would tell them to keep out of it, and it's not their place to have an opinion?  It's Debbie's slur and she can use it how she likes?

I don't think I am express internal racism by having a problem with the n word although I know y'all would be delighted if I said something revealing I was. It's got zero to do with how I view or respond to different races. I would also strongly suspect that Corbyn, MLK, whoever you name would broadly agree with me tbh.

Here's black anti-racism campaigner Al Sharpton agreeing https://www.today.com/popculture/rev-al-sharpton-leads-protest-over-rap-lyrics-wbna20167573

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 12, 2020, 06:30:07 PM
The fact is that there is a lot of Pop rap out there about diamonds, bitches and n***** and it's not what I like.

Centring yourself too much! Think that's the crux of how people have a problem with your position here.

You previously said I would have a problem with you writing music with the word tr*nny in it. If Debbie Hayton started calling herself a tr*nny, and you saw a cis person criticising them for normalising this word to their cis, transphobic followers, I assume you would tell them to keep out of it, and it's not their place to have an opinion?  It's Debbie's slur and she can use it how she likes?

Debbie's a fucker but if she's trans she can call herself what she wants. You know you're being facetious here because Hayton specifically has an agenda against trans people and in this hypothetical scenario it could possibly be argued she would use that word in a disingenuous way but this is a strawman and not relevant or applicable to your original point.

I would also strongly suspect that Corbyn, MLK, whoever you name would broadly agree with me tbh.

Here's black anti-racism campaigner Al Sharpton agreeing https://www.today.com/popculture/rev-al-sharpton-leads-protest-over-rap-lyrics-wbna20167573

Intensely bold of you to assume that of MLK. That Sharpton quote doesn't even mention anything to do with the n-word it just takes offence with general profanity. Did you read it?

bgmnts

Anyone can call anyone what they want, freedom of speech innit.

JaDanketies

If it's not what I like then I am allowed to criticise it. "I don't like this song - too simple, too much autotune, and they keep using the n word for nothing." I'm not saying that you're not allowed to like Drake and Future and I'm not telling them they can't use the n word. I've repeated this many times tbh but it's an easy strawman.

And yes, Debbie Hayton can call herself whatever she likes. Seriously, she can. I can also have a problem with it, and criticise it, despite being cis.

Kinda reminds me of when pro-choice women say "you're not allowed an opinion on the abortion issue, as you don't have a womb." Except for they actually don't mind you voicing your opinion when you agree with them. I'd go as far as to say everyone is allowed to hold an opinion on anything, and word that opinion.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Dank you're just coming across like a bit of a conservative crank really. Find it really immature that you're this uncomfortable with 'bad-language' and you don't understand the nuance of how slurs are reclaimed and change meanings and the broader politics of that.

Quote from: JaDanketies on September 12, 2020, 06:43:43 PM
And yes, Debbie Hayton can call herself whatever she likes. Seriously, she can. I can also have a problem with it, and criticise it, despite being cis.

Lol cisplaining. Know your place; your criticism of that would be worthless.

JaDanketies

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 12, 2020, 06:49:47 PM
Dank you're just coming across like a bit of a conservative crank really. Find it really immature that you're this uncomfortable with 'bad-language' and you don't understand the nuance of how slurs are reclaimed and change meanings and the broader politics of that.

I do 'understand'. There isn't an argument that has been made in this thread that I'm unfamiliar with. Absolutely doesn't mean I can't think it's shit when Future does some terrible rap where every other word is the n-word and every rhyme is 'shit, woo' or 'bitch, woo'.  Can you not accept that, by discussing Drake and Future lyrics, and comparing them to MF DOOM, Dr Dre and Public Enemy, I am somewhat aware of the broad politics of the n-word?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Just seems weird you have this particular problem with black rappers considering you don't seem to understand context.

Basically, why do you think your criticism of black art means anything?

JaDanketies

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 12, 2020, 06:52:57 PM
Just seems weird you have this particular problem with black rappers considering you don't seem to understand context.

everyone has a problem with white rappers using the n-word

GoblinAhFuckScary

Will repeat myself: What makes you think your opinion of black art has any value?

bgmnts

Do black people's opinion of white art have any value?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: bgmnts on September 12, 2020, 07:36:22 PM
Do black people's opinion of white art have any value?

Define 'white art', because 'black art' is definitely a real and recognised thing with respect to history/race/colonialism etc?

Sebastian Cobb

is it paintings of dogs playing snooker and that?

ProvanFan

I would also strongly suspect that Corbyn, MLK, whoever you name would broadly agree with me tbh.

Dan Falzon

ProvanFan

ProvanFan

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 12, 2020, 06:54:24 PM
Will repeat myself: What makes you think your opinion of black art has any value?

A bit unfair, would you be asking that question of white people who were being positive about black art?

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 12, 2020, 08:22:44 PM
A bit unfair, would you be asking that question of white people who were being positive about black art?

I don't think Dank is really making any critique involving the aesthetics or politics about black art tho. He's just saying bad word makes me uncomfortable. It's so elementary. By value I'm saying that white people's feelings about black art isn't really the point, so their value is limited.

JaDanketies

Why would I think my opinion about anything has any value? I mean, I think my opinion about a meal my gf cooks has value to her. But I sincerely doubt that some multimillionaire US musician cares about what I think about them. Obviously.

JaDanketies

Quote from: ProvanFan on September 12, 2020, 08:17:23 PM
Dan Falzon

Google makes it look like he's never even told the world what he thinks about hip hop in general, alas

GoblinAhFuckScary

Agh this is irritatingly circular. I've said my bit.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 12, 2020, 08:28:53 PM
By value I'm saying that white people's feelings about black art isn't really the point, so their value is limited.

That might be true if you were talking about black art aimed at black people. But you're not, you're talking about a pop song that's aimed at a primarily white audience.

JaDanketies

All I've said is that I would prefer it if Drake and Future didn't use the n-word in this absolutely awful song. It isn't even the first criticism I would make about the song. It's merely the most controversial criticism I would make.

The rhyming scheme is absolutely wank in it, as is the rhythm and bass line, and Drake and Future don't care what I think about those aspects of the song either. Nor, as it matters, does anyone else. I'm not a music reviewer. I simply don't think that criticising their use of the n-word is somehow verboten because I am yt.

Thanks for replying Goblin but I don't think you've made an argument that isn't a strawman tbh.

petercussing

Tip: If you dislike it then you can just do like i do and replace the word whilst rapping along with the word figure and it scans and kind of makes sense most of time.

chveik