Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:57:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon bacon

Started by Shit Good Nose, September 10, 2020, 05:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 10, 2020, 06:22:48 PM
Marco Pierre-White reckons the best way to do bacon is to microwave it. But then he offended Jamaicans everywhere by winging a rice and pea recipe without bothering to do any research.

He's a complete and utter johnnycake

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Wasn't that whole series of videos just him flogging his stock pots?

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 10, 2020, 08:05:03 PM
30 years ago, on holiday in that there Florida, we used to go for all-you-can eat breakfast. Yank bacon is a fucking disgrace. Swimming in grease, more fat than meat, cooked within an inch of it's life. For a society built on fat buggers, they have no clue about bacon.

I think it has its own place, prefer it on a bacon cheeseburger or BLT or with pancakes/syrup. But on its own in a sandwich or as a side with a meal, no. It's streaky bacon. The closest they have to our kind of bacon is Canadian bacon, which is still pretty different. But they love their crispy greasy streaky bacon, they go on about it with an almost religious fervour. Don't even try making an English breakfast with American ingredients. The baked beans are wrong, sausages are wrong, bacon's wrong, bread is wrong, black pudding non-existent.

dissolute ocelot

Yank bacon is a fucking disgrace. Swimming in grease, more fat than meat, cooked within an inch of it's life. For a society built on fat buggers, they have no clue about bacon.
Still better than the Canadians. Flap-headed ham-friers.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: El Unicornio, mang on September 10, 2020, 08:41:05 PM
black pudding non-existent.

That's cos of the ban isn't it?  Is it still in place?  I know a couple of years ago Trump was saying he'd lift it cos he was a fan of black pud and/or haggis.  You've always been able to get the South American equivalent wherever there's a latino community though.

touchingcloth

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 10, 2020, 08:52:08 PM
That's cos of the ban isn't it?  Is it still in place?  I know a couple of years ago Trump was saying he'd lift it cos he was a fan of black pud and/or haggis.  You've always been able to get the South American equivalent wherever there's a latino community though.

I knew haggis was, but didn't know black pudding was.

QuoteBlack pudding is banned in America for sanitary reasons.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: touchingcloth on September 10, 2020, 08:54:31 PM
Streaky bacon is better than back bacon.
It's not, but I'm going to CENTRIST CUNT this and propose that middle bacon is the best of all worlds.

Shit Good Nose

It's so difficult to get decent middle bacon if you haven't got a decent butchers.  All the supermarkets (well, those that sell it) treat it as a cheap cut.  Grey, oversalted, often sliced way too thickly.

king_tubby

bgmnts

"I'll ba-con in the morning, if you're sick of havin' me 'ere."

"Don't rub it too hard, you'll get a rasher."

"Hanging Bacon."

pancreas

One wants it streaky, rather thickly sliced, with rind on, and then one wants to put it under the fucking grill.

If one were to put it in the oven, the rind would not crisp before the rest of it were desiccated.

I hope that has cleared up any lingering doubts anyone had.

Marco Pierre White, in the kitchen, with a lead pipe.

30 years ago, on holiday in that there Florida, we used to go for all-you-can eat breakfast. Yank bacon is a fucking disgrace. Swimming in grease, more fat than meat, cooked within an inch of it's life. For a society built on fat buggers, they have no clue about bacon.

They have doughnuts with 'bacon' on them over there - even Greggs haven't come up with quite such an abomination.

El Unicornio, mang

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on September 10, 2020, 10:21:28 PM
They have doughnuts with 'bacon' on them over there - even Greggs haven't come up with quite such an abomination.

They do one better than that

2000 calories

touchingcloth

Quote from: pancreas on September 10, 2020, 09:52:34 PM
One wants it streaky, rather thickly sliced, with rind on, and then one wants to put it under the fucking grill.

If one were to put it in the oven, the rind would not crisp before the rest of it were desiccated.

I hope that has cleared up any lingering doubts anyone had.

Agreed with streaky, agreed with the thickness. But I like it done in the pan for about ten minutes on a medium heat until the thing has melted most of its fat into the meat, and become a crispy light brown shard. Like a light, warm scratching.

pancreas

touchingcloth

Yes, rind on.

Buying some curing salts so you can make your own bacon is well worth it. You can make it more deliciously salty than Tesco's is allowed to because they get arrested and thrown in jail cos of health and safety.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on September 10, 2020, 10:21:28 PM

I once went to a pub not long after easter and they were proudly announcing their burger of the week as something in a hot cross bun. dirty bastards,

touchingcloth

On this day of all days, I hope my tribute created from their favourite food can help the nation heal always in our hearts amen.

Gulftastic

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on September 10, 2020, 07:17:37 PM
"Gone are the days when bacon was exclusive to breakfast!"

Stuart's right[nb]I can call him that because we were best mates[/nb], because a fry-up was always our Saturday night dinner when I (and my elder brothers) were younger.

I grew up with bacon always being grilled, but I think fried is definitely the way to go.

Captain Crunch

On holiday a while ago I had this stuff:

Imagine bacon, cooked but then covered in ground up Bacon Fries and cooked again.  Not salty exactly just really really strong and stupidly addictive. 

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: monkfromhavana on September 11, 2020, 07:50:52 AM
Stuart's right[nb]I can call him that because we were best mates[/nb], because a fry-up was always our Saturday night dinner when I (and my elder brothers) were younger.

I grew up with bacon always being grilled, but I think fried is definitely the way to go.

As a basic meal, I get the odd craving for egg and chips but without a chip pan it would only be disappointing wouldn't it?