Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:34:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Never Mind The Buzzcocks Returning On Sky

Started by Malcy, September 10, 2020, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malcy

Surprised it only finished its original run 5 years ago. Always enjoyed this show but the later years not so much. Interested to see how like the original it will be in terms of rounds. Lookalikes, next lyric etc.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/news/5934/never-mind-the-buzzcocks-sky/

Shit Good Nose

Its peak for me was the Lamarr and Bailey years, although it was also good with Sean Hughes and watchable with Amstell.  But when they started rotating the presenters the rot set in really quickly.  You can sort of understand that thinking with HIGNFY (if you ignore the fact it's probably solely responsible for at least two of the most dangerous tory cunts since the 90s), but I don't think it worked at all for Buzzcocks.

Also, Sky 1 and "format change" - it will just be a light 7pm pop quiz won't it.

Famous Mortimer

The bottom of that article mentions Mark Lamarr has started doing comedy again, with a radio sitcom I'd never heard of. Good for him.

Re: returning formats like this, they all seem predicated on the idea that it's the format that people liked, not the comedians / writers. I don't see the point of buying the name, because fans of the original like me are grumpy old sods and won't like it, and younger fans will wonder at the name and why it references two bands whose careers were over 40 years ago.

Spiteface

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 10, 2020, 07:14:05 PM
Its peak for me was the Lamarr and Bailey years, although it was also good with Sean Hughes and watchable with Amstell.  But when they started rotating the presenters the rot set in really quickly.  You can sort of understand that thinking with HIGNFY (if you ignore the fact it's probably solely responsible for at least two of the most dangerous tory cunts since the 90s), but I don't think it worked at all for Buzzcocks.

Yeah, it didn't work, the final series with Rhod Gilbert was a slight improvement, partly due to having a regular host giving at least some consistency.

Agreed about the best stuff being the Lamarr/Bailey era.

I also think after Lamarr left, it became less and less about music. Lamarr was and still is a music fan and the guests were more singers, band members etc than after he left. Then came the 'slebs & reality tv dullards.

Sin Agog

Anyone else think Bailey sometimes looked outright disdainful of Amstell's hosting technique?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 10, 2020, 07:34:04 PM
Anyone else think Bailey sometimes looked outright disdainful of Amstell's hosting technique?

I never thought so, but one of the rumours thrown around was Bill left because he didn't like the way it was going.  Pretty sure it was nothing more than rumour though, because that's when Bill worked solid for three or four years on world tours and those nature shows.

the science eel

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 10, 2020, 07:18:12 PM
Re: returning formats like this, they all seem predicated on the idea that it's the format that people liked, not the comedians / writers.

Yep. Often an issue, with film as well as TV.

BeardFaceMan

Not really rumours, he mentions it in one of his stand up shows, something about being unable to hum tunes to vapid indie bands any more or something.

Absorb the anus burn

Lee Hurst and Tony Hadley for new team captains.[nb]possibly.[/nb]

Shit Good Nose

Hurst famously one of the worst live standup gigs I've ever experienced.  Support by Dave Johns was infinitely better and he got the better audience reaction too.

Rolf Lundgren

Very strange to bring it back so quickly, we've barely had time to mourn it's passing. Went off it when it turned into Mark Lamarr being a bullying arsehole every week then they brought Simon Amstell in to do the same thing.

RicoMNKN

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 10, 2020, 07:14:05 PM
You can sort of understand that thinking with HIGNFY (if you ignore the fact it's probably solely responsible for at least two of the most dangerous tory cunts since the 90s), but I don't think it worked at all for Buzzcocks.

It would be a decent idea if it was also serving as an audition for a new full-time host.  I suspect it was chosen simply more as what-panel-shows-do, though.

I seem to remember that Adam Buxton shone.

up_the_hampipe

If Lamarr or Amstell aren't involved, it's just yet another boring panel show in the mix. At its best, it could be vicious and outrageous, sometimes unpredictable and borderline violent. I'm certain this won't be, as the final years of BBC's Buzzcocks showed.

Quote from: Rolf Lundgren on September 10, 2020, 09:34:26 PM
Very strange to bring it back so quickly, we've barely had time to mourn it's passing. Went off it when it turned into Mark Lamarr being a bullying arsehole every week then they brought Simon Amstell in to do the same thing.

You went off it when it got good?

dissolute ocelot

Will this suffer from a lack of shared musical culture? The days when most people know what's in the charts are long gone, even X Factor has lost its cultural import, and although NMTB focused on indie as much as pop, indie is hardly a thriving genre either.

Plus people are a bit more sensitive about a bunch of white middle-class comedians/actors/presenters taking the piss out of black, female, LGBT, gender-non-binary, Lizzo-shaped, etc, acts. (And the music industry seems more about Beyonce than James Blunt these days: there seem to be fewer bland white male acts around.) I also really don't want to see any re-enactments of Megan/Cardi's WAP from middle-aged comedians. Although Adele will be fair game.

Fortunately I'm sure I can ignore it just as easily as the sports thing James Corden used to host.

Norton Canes

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 11, 2020, 11:06:21 AM
Plus people are a bit more sensitive about a bunch of white middle-class comedians/actors/presenters taking the piss out of black, female, LGBT, gender-non-binary, Lizzo-shaped, etc, acts.

Ah, if only there were a way of not having an overwhelmingly white male middle-class panel.

(Not a dig at you, a dig at panel show producers.)

Tony Tony Tony

This would be the perfect vehicle for the return of Justin Lee Collins.

It would likely finally kill any remnants of his career. 

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on September 11, 2020, 11:06:21 AM
Will this suffer from a lack of shared musical culture? The days when most people know what's in the charts are long gone, even X Factor has lost its cultural import, and although NMTB focused on indie as much as pop, indie is hardly a thriving genre either.

Completely agree. It would be a bit like bringing back Telly Addicts.

Noel: So, The Rumkee family, can you tell me who is the host of the Sky Comedy show Duck Quacks Don't Echo?

The Rumkee family: We don't have Sky. Ermm...Is it Little Mix? Her?

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 11, 2020, 06:39:17 PM
The Rumkee family: We don't have Sky. Ermm...Is it Little Mix? Her?

You missed out the half hour lecture about why they don't have Sky.

Billy

General consensus seems to be this had two "good eras" - the beginning to some point around the early noughties being the first, then a bit of an odd few years when Lamarr got increasingly bored and the identity parade became a baffling series of in-jokes involving pirate costumes and random returnees, and then the Amstell years (2006-9?) made it Big Telly again until he left and it slowly fizzled out with fewer caring each year. Few probably know they even had Rhod as a regular host at the end.

I remember there was a brief period where an episode feeling a slightly unhinged Amy Winehouse was seen as a "classic" and the audience were howling with laughter at her wacky antics, but by the time she died it got seen as a very sad and depressing 30 minutes of telly, up there with Paula Yates on HIGNFY and that episode of 'Pointless' with a clearly confused John Noakes in the advanced stages of dementia - none of which have been repeated for some time from memory. It was posted here a few years back that by the time it ended it appealed to almost no one, as older audiences didn't know any of the guests anymore and younger audiences wondered who these middle-aged men were making fun of their favourite personalities. The Huey Morgan episode was the last time I remember it became a brief talking point again.

It was bloody good in its day though (both of them) - the Chris Moyles/Vic Reeves ep had me crying with laughter as a nine year old, and the Donny Tourette and Preston eps of the Amstell era are fabulous half hours. Fun fact is that I also know two blokes who were in the Identity Parade round, one was a drama pal and the other a comedian who ended up with a big role in the Disney remake of 'Dumbo' last year.

Menu

God that sounds heartbreaking about John Noakes. Wouldn't want to see that.

Although I did just check.

Captain Z

...cos the other members of Blue, they all left the mothers of their children, didn't they?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Billy on September 11, 2020, 07:31:35 PM
General consensus seems to be this had two "good eras" - the beginning to some point around the early noughties being the first, then a bit of an odd few years when Lamarr got increasingly bored and the identity parade became a baffling series of in-jokes involving pirate costumes and random returnees, and then the Amstell years (2006-9?) made it Big Telly again until he left and it slowly fizzled out with fewer caring each year. Few probably know they even had Rhod as a regular host at the end.

I remember there was a brief period where an episode feeling a slightly unhinged Amy Winehouse was seen as a "classic" and the audience were howling with laughter at her wacky antics, but by the time she died it got seen as a very sad and depressing 30 minutes of telly, up there with Paula Yates on HIGNFY and that episode of 'Pointless' with a clearly confused John Noakes in the advanced stages of dementia - none of which have been repeated for some time from memory. It was posted here a few years back that by the time it ended it appealed to almost no one, as older audiences didn't know any of the guests anymore and younger audiences wondered who these middle-aged men were making fun of their favourite personalities. The Huey Morgan episode was the last time I remember it became a brief talking point again.

It was bloody good in its day though (both of them) - the Chris Moyles/Vic Reeves ep had me crying with laughter as a nine year old, and the Donny Tourette and Preston eps of the Amstell era are fabulous half hours. Fun fact is that I also know two blokes who were in the Identity Parade round, one was a drama pal and the other a comedian who ended up with a big role in the Disney remake of 'Dumbo' last year.
Not for me - I thought the angrier Lamarr got, the funnier the show was. It was different - not like the we're-all-mates roast-style banter that seems to be the default for shows like that these days. Lamarr hated things.

It's been a long time since I saw it so my memory may be cloudy, but I found the Preston episode to be pretty weak; I'd have probably walked off if some smug twat was mocking my wife. But I've never particularly liked Amstell anyway, so I admit I may not be the best person to ask.

jobotic

Fucking hell it had Phill Jupitus on it. Utter drivel. I like Lamarr being bored shitless with it, presumably because he's actually interested in music. That was it though.

Phill Jupitus. Noel Fielding. Paloma Faith.

And now it's on Sky probably Freddie Flintoff.

Captain Z

I must admit I thoroughly enjoyed the guest-host years. I say enjoyed, I mean I tolerated them. I say tolerated...