Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:13:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Never Mind The Buzzcocks Returning On Sky

Started by Malcy, September 10, 2020, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mippy

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 10, 2020, 07:18:12 PM
The bottom of that article mentions Mark Lamarr has started doing comedy again, with a radio sitcom I'd never heard of. Good for him.

Phil Ellis...  .is very funny.

Gurke and Hare

Presumably it'll be about Ed Sheeran, Adele and Stormzy. Not literally all modern music is the soundtracks to TikTok videos you know.

mippy

None of those acts are especially 'modern' these days.

jobotic

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on July 15, 2021, 03:03:11 PM
Presumably it'll be about Ed Sheeran, Adele and Stormzy. Not literally all modern music is the soundtracks to TikTok videos you know.

I don't know. I mean there is modern music that I know about but NMTB people won't be clever enough to know about it. Like I am.

For some reason I can picture Greg Davies saying "this is isn't as good as The Wedding Present" to everything. No idea if he really likes The Wedding Present.

Alberon

It's all noise anyway, not like proper music when we were young.

Hat FM

How are they going to do the line up when all of the bands from the 90's have either neverbroken up or reformed? 'erm...thats the drummer from idlewild. i know because i saw them play last week.'

Jamali Maddix is knowledgable about music, I've heard him on James Acaster's podcast a couple of times and also saw he wears an MF Doom ring and knows shitloads about hip hop so seems like he's actually passionate about it.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: thelittlemango on July 16, 2021, 02:38:57 PM
Jamali Maddix is knowledgable about music, I've heard him on James Acaster's podcast a couple of times and also saw he wears an MF Doom ring and knows shitloads about hip hop so seems like he's actually passionate about it.

Why isn't someone like Acaster or Maddix hosting this? Greg Davies is great, but this show needs a young music (or at the very least pop culture) savvy comic to host.

Captain Z

As a recent ex-Radio1 DJ and honorary Avalon comedienne, I'm surprised they didn't get old pointy-nose Alice Levine as one of the captains. Presumably she will be a guest at least once.

Tony Yeboah

Quote from: Captain Z on July 16, 2021, 04:30:55 PM
As a recent ex-Radio1 DJ and honorary Avalon comedienne, I'm surprised they didn't get old pointy-nose Alice Levine as one of the captains. Presumably she will be a guest at least once.

Alice is Jewish, as the surname would suggest, so this comment should be removed.

Captain Z

https://youtu.be/tk3TXNAcu0k

Additionally, I can find no evidence of Alice being Jewish.

Malcy

Petey Pate

Look like Noel Fielding can now comfortably retire in a few years.

gilbertharding

BeardFaceMan

They chose to use a clip that doesn't have any actual gags in it as the first look. This is going to be awful.

up_the_hampipe

At one time, it was understood that just cos you're funny around your mates doesn't mean you can make it as a comedian. But now it seems like all the people on panel shows just made their mates laugh until they got put on TV to have a laugh with their mates. But guess who isn't laughing? Everybody else.

Or it's just a bad clip and I've got an unattainable idea of what Buzzcocks should be in my head, who knows.

frajer

Oof that is rotten.

Seems to be banking on that if you like these people, you will laugh when they laugh, even if there isn't anything that could start anyone laughing.

ProvanFan

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: frajer on August 26, 2021, 03:50:30 PM
Oof that is rotten.

Seems to be banking on that if you like these people, you will laugh when they laugh, even if there isn't anything that could start anyone laughing.

To be fair, Daisy did make a noise at the start. What more do you want? It was hilarious!

Famous Mortimer

I just wish there was some difference to it. The same-ish group of people you see on every other panel show, with an occasional pop star to very very gently mock.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Noel Fielding's "check out the cool music I'm into" Sonic Youth jumper annoyed me more than anything else in that clip. And I don't even like Sonic Youth.

I know it's standard CaB practice to take agin Noel Fielding, but really. The man is such a wally.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on August 26, 2021, 03:40:09 PM
At one time, it was understood that just cos you're funny around your mates doesn't mean you can make it as a comedian. But now it seems like all the people on panel shows just made their mates laugh until they got put on TV to have a laugh with their mates. But guess who isn't laughing? Everybody else.

Same reason I can't watch the likes of 8 out of 10 Cats, even with Sean Lock. Too much straining to create hilarious iconic moments that will generate clicks on youtube, too many undertalented egos trying to sell themselves to the audience, too much fake laughter and dabbing away invisible tears of mirth, not enough effort put into what little script there is.

Jock Macabre

Quote from: Malcy on August 26, 2021, 03:01:33 PM
First clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcfPJVisu6g

They all seem to be having fun, but I'm at a loss to understand why. Bleak and harrowing stuff. Pretty much what you'd expect Rupert Murdoch presents Never Mind the Buzzcocks to be, I guess.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 26, 2021, 05:48:44 PM
Noel Fielding's "check out the cool music I'm into" Sonic Youth jumper annoyed me more than anything else in that clip. And I don't even like Sonic Youth.

I know it's standard CaB practice to take agin Noel Fielding, but really. The man is such a wally.

Come on, now, it was more than that. He was wearing a headscarf too, that's pretty cool, because you wouldn't expect that, yeah?

It all looks so bright and clean and sterile too, just like every new Dave panel show that has sprung up in the last few years.

imitationleather

The pure undiluted smugness of them burned my retinas.

Malcy

I'm glad I haven't watched it! The majority of panel show guests in my eyes are all trying desperately to be funny and liked. Main reason I don't really watch them.

the science eel

Quote from: Malcy on August 26, 2021, 08:24:38 PM
I'm glad I haven't watched it! The majority of panel show guests in my eyes are all trying desperately to be funny and liked. Main reason I don't really watch them.

Good lad! that's refreshing to read. The way folk on here go on about ANY TV comedy you'd think they were all HALFWITS!

chveik

Dr Rock

I hope everyone involved with this gets cancer.

Dr Rock

Anyone know what Mark Lamarr's up to these days?