Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:22:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Never Mind The Buzzcocks Returning On Sky

Started by Malcy, September 10, 2020, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Dr Rock on August 26, 2021, 08:53:22 PM
Anyone know what Mark Lamarr's up to these days?

Collecting ska records and buying crisps. He may be an arsehole for all I know, but that does sound like the perfect life.

pigamus

Bit of an overreaction to such a nothingy clip

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 26, 2021, 10:10:39 PM
State of that set.

It reminds me of the Room 101 set a bit, with the screen in the middle, similar floor and cosy lighting. The original NMTB set had much more character, with rigging and speaker stack graphics and lots of black surfaces so it felt a bit like a gig venue. As someone else said, this just looks like another generic Dave panel show from that snippet.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Jock Macabre on August 26, 2021, 06:12:45 PM
They all seem to be having fun, but I'm at a loss to understand why. Bleak and harrowing stuff. Pretty much what you'd expect Rupert Murdoch presents Never Mind the Buzzcocks to be, I guess.

It's now Comcast presents Never Mind The Buzzcocks, so very much in the vein of their "celebrities cheaply amuse themselves and no one else" shows like Hollywood Game Night.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: thelittlemango on August 26, 2021, 10:18:41 PM
It reminds me of the Room 101 set a bit, with the screen in the middle, similar floor and cosy lighting. The original NMTB set had much more character, with rigging and speaker stack graphics and lots of black surfaces so it felt a bit like a gig venue. As someone else said, this just looks like another generic Dave panel show from that snippet.

To me it looks designed to be like something that'll fit in with other similar shows Netflix picks up for easy international distribution. Boring, generic, soft-lit, meaningless. Visually unappealing, to boot.

Not that NMTB is a format worth defending to the death or anything, but it really benefited from that colder, dingier, low-lit aesthetic of the original run.

BeardFaceMan

I'd never go so far as to call it punk, but when it started NMTB was definitely a refreshing alternative to the usual chummy and lovely panel shows of the time, in looks and tone.

Noodle Lizard

Also, I see that clip is unlisted, but Sky have seemingly uploaded it with no description whatsoever. Aside from Noel Fielding and Greg Davies, I have absolutely no clue who any of these people are or why we're supposed to be excited by them. The clip starts with them all laughing hysterically and running around the set because of something amazingly funny that must have happened, but we don't see that. And it's difficult to be excited by Panel Show Fielding & Davies in the first place.

Wasn't the idea of Buzzcocks that they'd get popular (read: flash-in-the-pan) contemporary figures involved, with the occasional beloved classic?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on August 26, 2021, 11:14:30 PM
Also, I see that clip is unlisted, but Sky have seemingly uploaded it with no description whatsoever. Aside from Noel Fielding and Greg Davies, I have absolutely no clue who any of these people are or why we're supposed to be excited by them. The clip starts with them all laughing hysterically and running around the set because of something amazingly funny that must have happened, but we don't see that. And it's difficult to be excited by Panel Show Fielding & Davies in the first place.

Wasn't the idea of Buzzcocks that they'd get popular (read: flash-in-the-pan) contemporary figures involved, with the occasional beloved classic?

The amazingly funny thing that happened was right at the start, it was Daisy May Cooper making a funny noise to start the intro round. Yes, that was literally it.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on August 26, 2021, 11:21:17 PM
The amazingly funny thing that happened was right at the start, it was Daisy May Cooper making a funny noise to start the intro round. Yes, that was literally it.

It seemed to me like there was a big edit between that and the reaction. Which is the only thing that could make sense of the subsequent pant-wetting hysteria, because the noise wasn't especially funny. Leads me to believe something truly incredible happened that was cut out.

I must believe that.

Mobius

I've never seen Daisy May Cooper outside of This Country - she looks really different.

Everything looks to colourful and vivid. It needs to look more shit.

It's just the exact same fucking people as every other show what is point

imitationleather

There must be people who watch all of the panel shows and listen to all of the podcasts that this group of people produce. I dunno how/why they do it, though. I don't exactly have a full life but there's still not enough time for me to be consuming these never-ending hours of average-at-best comedy.

C_Larence

I can't believe Nish Kumar was laughing at something on a panel show! He's usually so stoic.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: C_Larence on August 26, 2021, 11:40:46 PM
I can't believe Nish Kumar was laughing at something on a panel show! He's usually so stoic.

Criticising Nish Kumar? Looks like we've got a Tory over here!

jobotic

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: jobotic on August 26, 2021, 11:55:08 PM
I hope Paloma Faith's on it.

At this point, NMTB might serve better as a kind of haven for those forgotten 90s/2000s indie acts. Look, they gave it a shot! Kind of depressing to think that the bloke from The Magic Numbers is more likely to turn up in the Identity Parade round than anything else.

An all-stars episode or two would be most welcome as well. An older, more reflective Donny Tourette, a Preston in some administrative capacity ... a 50 year old Dani Filth who's still in Cradle of Filth?

Cold Meat Platter

Oh great a quiz with some cunts on it certainly could do with more of them. Questions about pop music you say? AIDSFURNACE

amateur

Given the obscene amount of money Sky throws at people to appear on their appalling panel shows, I'd wager this lot are laughing all the way to the bank.

phantom_power

I know it is a pretty minor point in the grand scheme of things but the fact that the guesser is standing in the middle is annoying. it is so demonstrative

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Mobius on August 26, 2021, 11:30:05 PMI've never seen Daisy May Cooper outside of This Country - she looks really different.

I've never seen This Country - I guess I should - but she was good value (and heavily pregnant) in Taskmaster Series 10.

pigamus

BeardFaceMan

I've also never seen This Country, I think the only thing I'd seen in Daisy May in before Taskmaster was that Armando Iannucci space thing, I didn't know who she was. And her TM appearance has actually put me off checking it out.

Famous Mortimer

If you're in the mood, "Spicks And Specks" on Australian TV, hosted by Adam Hills (mostly, I think) is like what NMTB is going to be like - fine, mostly, but very mild.

jobotic

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on August 26, 2021, 05:48:44 PM
Noel Fielding's "check out the cool music I'm into" Sonic Youth jumper annoyed me more than anything else in that clip. And I don't even like Sonic Youth.

I know it's standard CaB practice to take agin Noel Fielding, but really. The man is such a wally.

If I'd worn one it would have been an Evol one. Bloke should stick to Justin Bieber.

chveik

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: phantom_power on August 27, 2021, 09:48:45 AM
I know it is a pretty minor point in the grand scheme of things but the fact that the guesser is standing in the middle is annoying. it is so demonstrative

C*vid restrictions innit.

Spiteface

That clip makes it look actively worse than the guest-host era of Buzzcocks.

I thought the one series with Rhod Gilbert was a perfect cromulent panel show, and I wasn't hatewatching it anymore, but this feels like a huge step back.

Oh, and now I'm gonna burn my Sonic youth albums, now I've seen Noel Fielding wearing that Goo shirt. I hate to be one of those "name 3 songs" wankers, but I don't think he's listened to a SY album in his life.

Ferris

Quote from: Malcy on August 26, 2021, 03:01:33 PM
First clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcfPJVisu6g

Just catching up on this thread and I'm sure it's already been said, but fuck me sideways that was poor. There wasn't a gag! It's just cretins laughing at nothing on a sanitized soundstage. Really bleak stuff.

And Fielding with his Nathan barley bandana has made me reappraise my love of Sonic Youth. Thanks for that mate.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on August 27, 2021, 07:23:15 PM
Just catching up on this thread and I'm sure it's already been said, but fuck me sideways that was poor. There wasn't a gag! It's just cretins laughing at nothing on a sanitized soundstage. Really bleak stuff.

And Fielding with his Nathan barley bandana has made me reappraise my love of Sonic Youth. Thanks for that mate.
Fielding was tolerable in Bake-off restricted to small amounts of pre-scripted humour and being nice to members of the public. The thought of him going back to a stream of lazy pound-shop surrealism on a panel game is exhausting.

On the positive side, I don't know who all of the panelists were in that clip, but if they're hiring comedians that might at least (in other episodes) be funnier than getting random celebs and scowling inarticulate musicians. Although there is a certain charm to seeing a scowling inarticulate musician on telly. (Although these days every musician spends half their lives making videos on social media so possibly there aren't any scowling inarticulate musicians left.)