Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 07:34:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Never Mind The Buzzcocks Returning On Sky

Started by Malcy, September 10, 2020, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

Quote from: Spiteface on August 27, 2021, 07:06:11 PM
I hate to be one of those "name 3 songs" wankers, but I don't think he's listened to a SY album in his life.

I mean, he almost certainly has.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Malcy on August 26, 2021, 03:01:33 PM
First clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcfPJVisu6g

I don't want to get all pearl clutchy here, but why does Noel Folding or whatever his name is, drop an F bomb? It adds nothing, just seems out of place for a lighthearted comedy show.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on August 29, 2021, 11:23:14 AM
I don't want to get all pearl clutchy here, but why does Noel Folding or whatever his name is, drop an F bomb? It adds nothing, just seems out of place for a lighthearted comedy show.
Trying to win back the fans who thought he'd sold out by joining Bake Off?

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: The Mollusk on August 29, 2021, 09:12:02 AM
I mean, he almost certainly has.
Definitely. He was born in 1973, which means he'd have been 18/19 when "Dirty" came out, an album so obscure that Entertainment Weekly named it their best of the year. Both he and Gordon played the Port Eliot festival in 2016, so it's entirely possible they met.

He also wore a Dinosaur Jr jumper on Bake-Off, so this is either a long-running bit or...he actually likes those bands.

BeardFaceMan

He's a hard one to figure out, he definitely has a persona. You'd think he was this sensitive artist type (he did go to art college after all, I'm sure I've heard him mention that one or twice) but he's also a bit of a lad, is quite sporty and likes his football. I thought Kasabian and the like were more his type of thing. Now I think about it, I'm sure I remember him saying his parents were big metalheads and he listened to a lot of that growing up.

Famous Mortimer

https://www.loudersound.com/features/discs-of-doom-noel-fielding

References Motorhead a few times, Primus, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, and the Stooges - and it mentions his parents are metalheads too, as BeardFaceMan said.

I've now spent more time than I'm happy with finding out what sort of music Noel Fielding likes.

Jock Macabre

Just saw an advert for this, and it was Fielding going on about how a kettle sounds a bit wrong when it doesn't have water in it. It's actually quite nice to see that even though he's
perhaps trying to move in a more mainstream observational comedy direction, the quality of his comedy hasn't taken a bump.

Utter Shit

The funniest thing about that clip is the sheer, naked audacity of the producers to plaster "A Sky Original" across it.

Captain Z

My kettle only seems to have two settings, it either makes the water completely boiled or does nothing at all!

MoreauVasz

Panel shows seem to be run like interior design shows back in the changing room days. A dozen people, appearing on everything.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 29, 2021, 02:00:01 PM
I've now spent more time than I'm happy with finding out what sort of music Noel Fielding likes.

I find it funny that people (not you, I just quoted your post for reference) still see Fielding as this sort of hated hipster du jour which, as always, just makes those critics sound as aloof and posturing as they're making him out to be. It's entirely plausible that he'd be a Sonic Youth fan, what do people have in mind that he's actually listening to, some sort of cartoonish pixie music and mid-noughties Hoxton electroclash?

First two series of Boosh aside, I mostly think the guy is a bit of a harmless wally in his general TV demeanour and his art isn't for me, but whatever he's doing is genuine. He has the same eccentric gene as Vic Reeves, he dresses like a tropical tit as well but you don't hear anyone slagging him off for it. Criticising Fielding for his comedy is completely valid but implying that because he's a bad comedian he therefore is a preening poser with shit taste in everything is just lame.

Malcy

imitationleather

Mid-Morning Matters was on Sky, though!

I've got Now TV but I still can't see myself watching this. Why would I do it to myself?

I guess it'll have the exact same audience as A League of Their Own.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: imitationleather on September 08, 2021, 11:17:54 PM
Mid-Morning Matters was on Sky, though!

Didn't it start on YouTube (or some other video platform) and they made the Sky shows by stringing two episodes together?

imitationleather

The first series was part of an online Fosters comedy thing, yeah. Series 2 was on Sky Atlantic first though.

Tony Yeboah

Richard Herring is one of the writers and he has discussed many times in the past that's he's not particularly interested in music. So probably a perfect fit for this version of the show.

Ignatius_S

Quote from: imitationleather on September 08, 2021, 11:37:17 PM
The first series was part of an online Fosters comedy thing, yeah. Series 2 was on Sky Atlantic first though.

Aye - also, the BBC were offered it first, they weren't interested so Sky picked it,

Sky has commissioned a lot of decent or better comedy, but same old comments keep get trotted out...

Malcy

The identity parade round has been changed. Now a whole band will come out and they have to spot the imposter.

sutin

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on August 29, 2021, 02:00:01 PM
https://www.loudersound.com/features/discs-of-doom-noel-fielding

References Motorhead a few times, Primus, the Sensational Alex Harvey Band, and the Stooges - and it mentions his parents are metalheads too, as BeardFaceMan said.

Fielding is a known big Primus fan and is always at their UK shows. He's also pals with Les Claypool I believe, and starred in a music video about 7 or 8 years ago.

phantom_power

This started last night and against all expectation it was hilarious and brilliant. Loads of interesting music facts and discussion

Not really, it was shit. A load of arsing about and noise from the kids at the birthday party who ate too much cake and ran around screaming. About 4 questions asked in the whole episode

rue the polywhirl

New NMTB #cancelled

'Oh no... what did it do?!'

'Nothing. It was just rubbish. Nobody was watching it'.

Echo Valley 2-6809

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 22, 2021, 09:16:21 AM
It smashed the Patriarchy! According to the, well, you already know don't you.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2021/sep/21/never-mind-the-buzzcocks-review-daisy-may-cooper-takes-on-the-pop-patriarchy

Quote from: The Guardian's Stuart ScheissenschreiberHistorically, the identity parade's purpose was to decide which of four gnarly old duffers played bass on Tales from Topographic Oceans. But only after the teams had heaped ageist abuse on all four, which is harsh on the three-quarters of them who spent the 1970s stacking shelves in Catford.

Trying to spot one of rock music's most famous bass players in a line-up. Yeah, I remember that.

phantom_power

Whereas in the new one you had to pick which of four people weren't in the classic Bucks Fizz line-up. Insultingly easy

jobotic

QuoteHistorically, the identity parade's purpose was to decide which of four gnarly old duffers played bass on Tales from Topographic Oceans. But only after the teams had heaped ageist abuse on all four, which is harsh on the three-quarters of them who spent the 2010s writing fucking bland drivel in The Guardian.

frajer

Quote from: OnlyRegisteredSoICanRead on September 22, 2021, 09:16:21 AM
It smashed the Patriarchy!

Finally!!

I watched this too and it all grated immensely. Self-indulgent and a last day of term maniacal feel, but was also far too slickly repackaged and edgeless. Hopefully a nice comfortable payday for Davies and Cooper, so good for them as I like them heaps in other stuff (but bad for us as the audience as they were irritating in this and it was shit).

gilbertharding

QuoteHistorically, the identity parade's purpose was to decide which of four gnarly old duffers played bass on Tales from Topographic Oceans. But only after the teams had heaped ageist abuse on all four, which is harsh on the three-quarters of them who spent the 1970s stacking shelves in Catford.

Ah yes - the only two alternatives: You can be Chris Squire (who, I must admit, I think I would struggle to recognise), or you can be a shelf stacker from Catford (also; nice of the liberal journalist to belittle human beings on the basis of what he imagines they happen to do for a living).

But, yeah, there was quite enough mocking ordinary people for their appearance on the original show - good job 'we' have grown out of that, possibly.