Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:27:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Never Mind The Buzzcocks Returning On Sky

Started by Malcy, September 10, 2020, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 11, 2020, 10:15:54 PM
It's been a long time since I saw it so my memory may be cloudy, but I found the Preston episode to be pretty weak; I'd have probably walked off if some smug twat was mocking my wife. But I've never particularly liked Amstell anyway, so I admit I may not be the best person to ask.

The Chantelle stuff was probably a bit much, but Preston was having none of it from the start. Even light teasing was met with hostility, but he was happy to laugh at jokes about others. Also in fairness, Amstell didn't even get to say anything about the book, he just picked a couple of quotes that were funny on their own. I always felt like Preston left out of embarrassment more than anything, he knew he'd got carried away with this Celebrity Big Brother fame and OK! Magazine marriage, they split up shortly afterwards.

Amstell is sometimes remembered as a bully. While it could get uncomfortable sometimes, I don't think he ever did anything truly unjustifiable, it all had a purpose. Whether it's an important or necessary thing to do is up for debate though.

Agreed on the Lamarr point anyway. His disdain for the show as it went on made for a great dynamic. It was based on how he was really feeling, I'm sure, but he definitely leaned into it as a persona. It almost felt like a well-written story arc to watch his descent into madness. They actually did a great montage for it in the What A Load Of Buzzcocks series a few years ago https://youtu.be/2HM56kpHHig?t=1095

Sin Agog

Think my favourite eps were when Sheila Ferguson (Three Degrees) was on, who somehow made the perfect double-act with Mark, and when both members of Sparks were guests.  They did occasionally have some really good gets.

Used to know Sam Preston relatively well (he took me and some mates on a tour bus to see their debut at the 100 Club).  Saw him at the hipster bar I'd hang at the day before filming, and he seemed optimistic about it.  Frankly he always struck me as a bit of a humourless, lip-chewing scenester, so I wasn't exactly torn up about his ensuing torpedo.  Doubtless if he'd thought of a witty comeback, he would never have had to walk out.

Shit Good Nose

Athelston.

UB40 being obsessed with crab paste.

lankyguy95

Lamarr's exaggerated reverence when Jimmy Cliff was on is my favourite Buzzcocks moment by far. Giving him extra points just for being Jimmy Cliff, capped off by getting him to sing Many Rivers To Cross. Yes please.

BritishHobo

The Preston stuff was pretty weak. Mocking the guy who has come on the show is one thing, but sniggering about his eife's intelligence is fair game for fucking off, I reckon.

Although he missed out on the top banter of saying that number 3 in the identity parade looks like a paedo!!!!

Menu

Quote from: BritishHobo on September 11, 2020, 11:58:19 PM
The Preston stuff was pretty weak. Mocking the guy who has come on the show is one thing, but sniggering about his eife's intelligence is fair game for fucking off, I reckon.

Although he missed out on the top banter of saying that number 3 in the identity parade looks like a paedo!!!!

A lot of Lamarr's stuff was bullying misogyny. The sort of thing that in a few years time people will be shocked by. Like the B&W Minstrel Show.

Twonty Gostelow

Lamarr also called Jupitus "fat" in this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vG4i-90Qgkk, the judgmental greaseball.

Sigh-o. Wasn't Amy Winehouse lovely in that?

Buzzcocks-style Identity Parade round:
Which poster in this very thread once got an impromptu snog from Amy Winehouse?

Noodle Lizard

The Donny Tourette one is fabulous, it makes Towers of London's entire career worthwhile. The Hollyoaks actor seemed very thankful for him taking the bullseye off his back! Even Noel Fielding came off quite well in that episode, preceding his ubiquity on fucking everything.

I thought Amstell was the best host overall, genuinely impressed by how quick-witted he was at times, and he came off as less sneery than Lamarr did I reckon. I more or less stopped watching after Bill Bailey left, though.

C_Larence

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on September 12, 2020, 03:06:04 AM
The Donny Tourette one is fabulous, it makes Towers of London's entire career worthwhile. The Hollyoaks actor seemed very thankful for him taking the bullseye off his back! Even Noel Fielding came off quite well in that episode, preceding his ubiquity on fucking everything.

It really bugs me in that episode when Simon Amstell interrupts Donny Tourette insulting Bill Bailey (saying he wouldn't make a good tramp because people wouldn't give him money because he's "too ugly") to say he won't win the fight because Bailey is a professional comedian. It seems pretty obvious to me that Bailey didn't really have a comeback, he just makes a mock offended "woooo" noise. 

jobotic

QuoteIn June 2013, an eight-part clip show series aired under the name What a Load of Buzzcocks. Each episode focussed on a different year of the show and the musical stories from that year. Alex James of Blur narrated all episodes of the series.

Again, ugh.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 11, 2020, 10:36:20 PM

Used to know Sam Preston relatively well (he took me and some mates on a tour bus to see their debut at the 100 Club).  Saw him at the hipster bar I'd hang at the day before filming, and he seemed optimistic about it.  Frankly he always struck me as a bit of a humourless, lip-chewing scenester, so I wasn't exactly torn up about his ensuing torpedo.  Doubtless if he'd thought of a witty comeback, he would never have had to walk out.

Even if Preston had with him a quiver stuffed with bon mots they would've all be taken out in the edit. It's the same with most panel shows; all about the resident 'talent'. Dave Gorman once told a story about his awful experience on NMTB. He'd made what seemed like a spontaneous comic observation about the show's set and it received a good reaction from the audience. Lamarr responded, "So Dave, did you think of that off the cuff joke in the back of the Addison Lee on the way down tonight?". Audience titter. Gorman came back with a riposte that brought the house down. Biggest laugh of the night. All got cut from the edit.

Buxton hated doing it.

Jockice

I remember finding Brian Molko surprisingly witty on it. Until a relative who worked for the BBC at the time revealed that the shows were mostly scripted and the quips he came out with were highly unlikely to have come out of his own head. He and Rick Wakeman are (apart from those already mentioned) the only actual guests I can remember on it. And Zammo from Grange Hill in the formerly famous round or whatever it was called.

I totally lost interest in it a long time before it ended, so I doubt very much if I'd be watching any revival.

BeardFaceMan

I remember Tony Wright from Terrorvision being asked back a few times too, he was always good value.

Amstell was a lot more cunty than Lamarr wasn't he? Wasn't his schtick coming into the show 'oh it's the guy who says rude things to pop stars on T4?'.

Jockice

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 12, 2020, 12:45:58 PM
Even if Preston had with him a quiver stuffed with bon mots they would've all be taken out in the edit. It's the same with most panel shows; all about the resident 'talent'. Dave Gorman once told a story about his awful experience on NMTB. He'd made what seemed like a spontaneous comic observation about the show's set and it received a good reaction from the audience. Lamarr responded, "So Dave, did you think of that off the cuff joke in the back of the Addison Lee on the way down tonight?". Audience titter. Gorman came back with a riposte that brought the house down. Biggest laugh of the night. All got cut from the edit.
t.

Was it 'fuck off you greasy-quiffed bastard'?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 11, 2020, 11:05:45 PM
Lamarr's exaggerated reverence when Jimmy Cliff was on is my favourite Buzzcocks moment by far. Giving him extra points just for being Jimmy Cliff, capped off by getting him to sing Many Rivers To Cross. Yes please.

I was going to mention that.

Pete Burns being all sassy was good as well.

The Mollusk

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 12, 2020, 02:13:33 PM
Amstell was a lot more cunty than Lamarr wasn't he? Wasn't his schtick coming into the show 'oh it's the guy who says rude things to pop stars on T4?'.

Yeah, must have been. To be fair, he was really good at that T4 stuff. I still fondly watch his therapy session with The Kooks from time to time.

I guess you've got to consider which guests actually deserve to be torn to shreds like that. Like, The Kooks or the incredible Donny Tourette episode of Buzzcocks, these kids are rich, stuck-up twats and I think they're totally fair game. But to basically use the humour as if you were machine gunning at innocent civilians is unfair. It makes for "good television" in the same way that standing behind a bully and grinning down at the victim would be. A sense of "glad that's not me" security. A shame, really, because otherwise I think Amstell is wonderful across the rest of his career. But then would he have got the opportunity to make so much of what I love from him if it weren't for his success presenting Buzzcocks?

paruses

Quote from: C_Larence on September 12, 2020, 05:16:41 AM
It really bugs me in that episode when Simon Amstell interrupts Donny Tourette insulting Bill Bailey (saying he wouldn't make a good tramp because people wouldn't give him money because he's "too ugly") to say he won't win the fight because Bailey is a professional comedian. It seems pretty obvious to me that Bailey didn't really have a comeback, he just makes a mock offended "woooo" noise.

Yea that's always bugged me too. Felt sorry for him cos he looks really lost when put on the spot.

non capisco

He looks genuinely wounded and riled when Tourette calls him ugly.

"You think me....a small penis?" is usually cited as the highlight of that episode but after rewatching it recently on one of those listless lockdown Sundays for me it's "Alright, Anstisssssssssss.", the sheer ridiculousness of Donny Tourette thinking that's some kind of incredible burn.

The Mollusk

Amstell's faux outraged high-pitched wailing "DONNY'S SMOKING NOW??!?!" is what does it for me.

Gulftastic

Amstell's Courtney Love quip is fabulous. Yer Boosh twat tries to get a laugh by saying 'twiglet'. Amstell outdoes him with ease.

DrGreggles

I always thought Bailey's expression was of bemusement and pity, rather than struggling to think of a response.

C_Larence

Quote from: Gulftastic on September 12, 2020, 05:03:43 PM
Amstell's Courtney Love quip is fabulous. Yer Boosh twat tries to get a laugh by saying 'twiglet'. Amstell outdoes him with ease.

https://youtu.be/7SWQ8ls0dRQ

This is the moment I always think of when it comes to Amstell vs Fielding. Completely shows him up.

Sebastian Cobb

A stumped Sean Hughes finding the Nolan Sister in the identity parade by saying something absolutely disgusting in Gaeilge and seeing who cracked was great.

Spiteface

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 12, 2020, 05:28:46 PM
A stumped Sean Hughes finding the Nolan Sister in the identity parade by saying something absolutely disgusting in Gaeilge and seeing who cracked was great.

She wasn't exactly hiding who she was though, was she? She was one of those who pretty much gave the game away as soon as she came out

paruses

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 12, 2020, 05:16:28 PM
I always thought Bailey's expression was of bemusement and pity, rather than struggling to think of a response.
Yes - he seems wrong footed and a sharp comeback is more Amstell's style than Bailey's so I don't think SA was throwing him to the wolves.

g0m

I rewatched the amstell episodes a few years back, I'd forgotten stewart lee was in one of those

Shit Good Nose

To his (own) eternal shame.  He's regretted it ever since.  Didn't he call it one of the lowest points of his entire career?

Sebastian Cobb

Is the rumour about Lemmy calling Lamarr a 'jumped up little cunt' and fucking off after he was ripping the piss out of someone else true?

non capisco

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 12, 2020, 07:36:10 PM
Is the rumour about Lemmy calling Lamarr a 'jumped up little cunt' and fucking off after he was ripping the piss out of someone else true?

Yeah, the story is that he gave Lamarr an ear-bashing for something he said to Jay Ashton from Bucks Fizz then walked off. As it was towards the end of the recording and they had enough footage with Lemmy still in they never aired the outburst/walkout, presumably because it was justified and Lamarr didn't come out on top of the exchange.