Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 02:04:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Never Mind The Buzzcocks Returning On Sky

Started by Malcy, September 10, 2020, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Mollusk

I have it on very good authority that Lamaar moans like a woman when he orgasms. This isn't a joke.

New page uuuunnnhhhhhh

Brundle-Fly

This was a joyful moment on NMTB, Xmas 2004.  You can see Bad Manners really put the effort in with this segment and played along with the gags. In his element, the first TV exposure of a slim Buster Bloodvessel post-gastric band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4y8F0u1uMI

Shit Good Nose

I always enjoyed the promos and first-episode pre credits sequences they did during the Bill Bailey years.  I know he's not well liked at all on here, but probably the peak of Phill Jupitus' career.  Before Lamarr started to get obviously bored with it, it felt like a real collaborative effort.

Athelston, Lake & Palmer.

up_the_hampipe

I would love to have seen Donny Tourette on with Lamarr.

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 12, 2020, 07:21:48 PM
To his (own) eternal shame.  He's regretted it ever since.  Didn't he call it one of the lowest points of his entire career?

He said that about 8 Out of 10 Cats, I think. He did a run of panel shows to pay for his wedding, and Buzzcocks seems to be the one he had the most fun with. In a more recent interview, he said he wasn't happy with the way they edited Bill Oddie to make him look rambly and mental, when he'd apparently been hilarious and quick. In the show, though, Stew is getting involved with making fun of him, he even suggests an edit they could do to show time passing in his ramblings, which they did as a joke at the end.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 12, 2020, 11:38:37 PM
I would love to have seen Donny Tourette on with Lamarr.

He said that about 8 Out of 10 Cats, I think. He did a run of panel shows to pay for his wedding, and Buzzcocks seems to be the one he had the most fun with. In a more recent interview, he said he wasn't happy with the way they edited Bill Oddie to make him look rambly and mental, when he'd apparently been hilarious and quick. In the show, though, Stew is getting involved with making fun of him, he even suggests an edit they could do to show time passing in his ramblings, which they did as a joke at the end.

Ahhh yes, I'm thinking 8 Out of 10 Cats - that's the one I forgot he was in.

Incidentally, as Dexys were just on Top of the Pops on BBC4, I ALWAYS enjoyed it when Sean Hughes did his Kevin Rowland impression.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 12, 2020, 09:14:09 PM
I know he's not well-liked at all on here, but probably the peak of Phill Jupitus' career.

He's not liked on CaB because he was/is an inconvenient mirror.

The Culture Bunker

A favourite memory I have, from the fairly early years, was Frank Skinner being on it and getting (what seemed like) genuine huge laughs from Lamarr with a Danny Kaye joke.

Another Skinner joke in the same episode about Jimmy Saville probably hasn't aged very well.

I think I'd stopped watching it before Lamarr quit as I don't remember seeing the whole Preston thing. I did have (though have subsequently lost) the tie-in book with free quiz CD, and the 'Never Rewind the Buzzcocks' Christmas video they did early on, which was fairly good fun.

Sin Agog

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 13, 2020, 12:06:51 AM
He's not liked on CaB because he was/is an inconvenient mirror.

Not sure I get what you're going for there.

I thought it was more because, beneath the beard and music knowledge and cuddly teddy appearance, he was never actually much of a natural wit. Basically he has compere energy, rather than comedian chops. I like him, personally.  Reminds me of a lot of similar anarcho comedy poets who used to nudge their way into the comedy circuit.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 13, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

I thought it was more because, beneath the beard and music knowledge and cuddly teddy appearance, he was never actually much of a natural wit. Basically he has compere energy, rather than comedian chops. I like him, personally.  Reminds me of a lot of similar anarcho comedy poets who used to nudge their way into the comedy circuit.

Chriddof

There's an infamous anecdote about Lamarr completely losing his rag at the audience at the end of a night's taping - he was berating them for not laughing enough. It was the evening of September 11, 2001.

Quote from: Mark Lamarr, supposedly"Yeah, it's tragic and all, but it's not like your grandad died or anything."

C_Larence

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 13, 2020, 12:48:50 AM
A favourite memory I have, from the fairly early years, was Frank Skinner being on it and getting (what seemed like) genuine huge laughs from Lamarr with a Danny Kaye joke.

Another Skinner joke in the same episode about Jimmy Saville probably hasn't aged very well.

I think I'd stopped watching it before Lamarr quit as I don't remember seeing the whole Preston thing. I did have (though have subsequently lost) the tie-in book with free quiz CD, and the 'Never Rewind the Buzzcocks' Christmas video they did early on, which was fairly good fun.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7k0acb

That's this episode here. The Saville joke is actually very funny, and completely innocuous.

Menu

Yes he's just a sort of affable man. He shouldn't have been a captain on a panel show. See also: Alan Davies.

Phil_A

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 12, 2020, 12:45:58 PM
Even if Preston had with him a quiver stuffed with bon mots they would've all be taken out in the edit. It's the same with most panel shows; all about the resident 'talent'. Dave Gorman once told a story about his awful experience on NMTB. He'd made what seemed like a spontaneous comic observation about the show's set and it received a good reaction from the audience. Lamarr responded, "So Dave, did you think of that off the cuff joke in the back of the Addison Lee on the way down tonight?". Audience titter. Gorman came back with a riposte that brought the house down. Biggest laugh of the night. All got cut from the edit.

Buxton hated doing it.

He hated doing it while Lamarr was hosting as he made the atmosphere so hostile, and because of the pressure on the guests to have to try and be funny with the pre-scripted quips.

Apparently, according to Buxton, under Amstell it was completely different, he tried to make everyone on the show feel welcome and made sure everyone got the opportunity to get a funny line in.

I'm astonished anyone could think Amstell was more of a cunt on the show than Lamarr to be honest, especially considering how nasty the latter years of Lamarr's tenure could get.

Brundle-Fly

Yeah, I wasn't clear last night. It wasn't meant to be a gibe at CaB. I meant that whatever one thinks of Jupitus as a comedian, he is a genuine enthusiast especially about music, films, comics and pop culture, like most people on CaB.  The preternatural hatred of Jupitus discussion has been done on Cab more than a few times so I'll move on.

*makes Chewbacca howl and drinks a glass of water. Is it number four, Mark? The one that looks like a haunted mod.

lankyguy95

Quote from: Phil_A on September 13, 2020, 01:17:27 PM
I'm astonished anyone could think Amstell was more of a cunt on the show than Lamarr to be honest, especially considering how nasty the latter years of Lamarr's tenure could get.
I think the thing with Amstell is that he'd clearly pre-decided who he was going to mock. I think Jupitus has said before that he felt with Amstell that guests were booked specifically with the intention of having the piss taken out of them. Whereas Lamarr reacted in the flow of the show.

I agree though; Amstell never approached the sort of nastiness and vitriol that Lamarr sometimes indulged in. The Gail Porter episode stands out as a particularly ugly one.

The Mollusk

I've just finished watching Grandma's House (I've never seen it before, it's all on YouTube and it's brilliant) and it's interesting to see Amstell's semi-autobiographical depiction of himself there describing his self-loathing at the type of person he'd let himself become on Buzzcocks and very suddenly wishing to distance himself from it. Having viewed his career trajectory since Buzzcocks it's great to see that he's successfully settled into the sort of entertainer he was really meant to be. He's never shied away from the fact that he's self-absorbed and narcissistic but his openness and the compassion and therapeutic nature of his subsequent standup and shows like Grandma's House and Carnage are reflective of a person finding real joy within themselves and expressing it very articulately.

Jake Thingray

Quote from: non capisco on September 12, 2020, 07:50:24 PM
Yeah, the story is that he gave Lamarr an ear-bashing for something he said to Jay Ashton from Bucks Fizz then walked off. As it was towards the end of the recording and they had enough footage with Lemmy still in they never aired the outburst/walkout, presumably because it was justified and Lamarr didn't come out on top of the exchange.

Afraid it was also reported at the time that Lemmy also declared none of the show's other participants were as funny as the Goons, would not have guessed he was a tee-hee-nicky-nacky-noo-er.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: lankyguy95 on September 13, 2020, 03:46:27 PM
I think the thing with Amstell is that he'd clearly pre-decided who he was going to mock. I think Jupitus has said before that he felt with Amstell that guests were booked specifically with the intention of having the piss taken out of them. Whereas Lamarr reacted in the flow of the show.

I agree though; Amstell never approached the sort of nastiness and vitriol that Lamarr sometimes indulged in. The Gail Porter episode stands out as a particularly ugly one.

It's been a while since I've seen the show, but my memory of it is Lamarr's nastiness towards guests seemed off the cuff whereas Amstell's nastiness seemed prepared.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: C_Larence on September 13, 2020, 02:50:39 AM
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7k0acb

That's this episode here. The Saville joke is actually very funny, and completely innocuous.
There's an old thread on here which lists a number of the Savile jokes that were on Buzzcocks. One of the writers definitely believed every rumour floating round about him.

The Mollusk

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 13, 2020, 04:54:01 PM
It's been a while since I've seen the show, but my memory of it is Lamarr's nastiness towards guests seemed off the cuff whereas Amstell's nastiness seemed prepared.

Is one of those approaches worse than the other? Not aiming that at you specifically, just wondering if either one is more morally objectionable.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 13, 2020, 04:58:47 PM
Is one of those approaches worse than the other? Not aiming that at you specifically, just wondering if either one is more morally objectionable.

I would say so. Going into a show pre-armed with insults is a bit more cunty than reacting in the moment and being insulting. Although the end result is pretty much the same.

Famous Mortimer

I'm sure I'm going to be proved wrong, but it felt in the Lamarr years that they very rarely had guests on just to take the piss out of them, with most of them being in on the joke (yer man Fairbrass, for example). The hate seemed directed at the rest of the world? Amstell didn't seem like he was all that into music, only getting the job because of his time insulting / interviewing pop stars on E4, and there was at least one guest an episode who was there for him to make snide jokes about.

But I could be way off, pre-existing biases, etc.

I presume the new show will be a dismal failure and will be cancelled after the minimum ordered number of episodes have been shown.

Sebastian Cobb

I dunno, it seems Lamarr could dig someone but show not complete contempt if they pushed back, a bit like Sheila Ferguson, but then his dislike for manufactured pop guests, especially women seemed to be visceral.

C_Larence

So who do we think is going to host? My money is on:

A last leg host
James Corden
Jack Whitehall
An woman
or Ricky Gervais (the least likely, but I reckon it could happen)

The Lurker

Quote from: C_Larence on September 12, 2020, 05:16:41 AM
It really bugs me in that episode when Simon Amstell interrupts Donny Tourette insulting Bill Bailey (saying he wouldn't make a good tramp because people wouldn't give him money because he's "too ugly") to say he won't win the fight because Bailey is a professional comedian. It seems pretty obvious to me that Bailey didn't really have a comeback, he just makes a mock offended "woooo" noise.

Yeah, that and Bailey responded with "what, a hand?" when Tourette said "this is what you are" and made a tosser sign at him which I thought was a pretty shit response*. Especially considering it's similar but no way as funny as Amstell's previous "what, you think I'm a small penis?" rebuttal.

*in fairness to Bill, that was towards the end of the show and I think he was pretty sick and tired of Tourette by that point

Also, wasn't there a paedo joke made by Ian Watkins on the show? Or a paedo joke made at him? There was a clip of it on YouTube which has been removed now so I can't prove it but, all things considered, I can't imagine Watkins will sue me for libel for it if I've got it wrong.

Billy

I've just remembered the brilliant end-of-series clipshows the Amstell era had, which far from being a needless display of stuff we'd just seen a couple of weeks earlier had some genuinely clever linking material which seems mostly impossible to find online now:

• Simon being "interviewed" by Alan Yentob, who calls the show 'Never Mind, These Are My Buzzcocks' and continuously passively-aggressively insults Amstell saying he's not as good as Lamarr until Amstell shouts at him to fuck off and storms out the studio.
  • A "making of" with all the contestants from one episode revealing every episode is tightly-scripted and rehearsed to an inch, cutting between a fake table read scene (actually recorded after the show) and its broadcast equivalent.
  • And the best was one that genuinely fooled a few members of my family (and from memory, some internet forums) with the rather dark linking material that Amstell had killed himself in depression after being heckled by teenagers that he wasn't as irreverent as he used to be and they preferred Patrick Kielty, interviewing an emotional Jupitus/Bailey/Fielding etc only for Jamelia to tell us it's ok because he was a massive racist.

They probably sound a bit crap from those descriptions but they genuinely amused/fascinated me as a late noughties teen.

up_the_hampipe

Yeah, loved those series enders. It definitely showed that Amstell was itching to do something more creative than a panel show, which would lead to Grandma's House. A highlight for me is Yentob reading out a list of insults Amstell had made towards guests over the series, all of which were fake. "I don't like your trousers, you fucking tithead!" "Vaginasucker!".

Quote from: The Lurker on September 13, 2020, 06:27:10 PM
Also, wasn't there a paedo joke made by Ian Watkins on the show? Or a paedo joke made at him? There was a clip of it on YouTube which has been removed now so I can't prove it but, all things considered, I can't imagine Watkins will sue me for libel for it if I've got it wrong.

I believe it was another Jimmy Savile joke referencing his rumoured noncing, and they cut to Ian Watkins laughing. Just a creepy coincidence.

The Lurker

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on September 13, 2020, 10:42:18 PM
I believe it was another Jimmy Savile joke referencing his rumoured noncing, and they cut to Ian Watkins laughing. Just a creepy coincidence.

Ah right, cheers

g0m

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 13, 2020, 05:09:49 PM
I would say so. Going into a show pre-armed with insults is a bit more cunty than reacting in the moment and being insulting. Although the end result is pretty much the same.

Do you reckon? I'd say the exact opposite - that going into the show with the intent of doing insults for comedy's sake is less cunty than sincerely being insulting in the moment

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: g0m on September 14, 2020, 03:30:21 PM
Do you reckon? I'd say the exact opposite - that going into the show with the intent of doing insults for comedy's sake is less cunty than sincerely being insulting in the moment

What makes you think the pre-written insults aren't sincere and are just for comedy's sake? Those are insults that have been thought about for a while, played with, refined, a lot more work and effort has gone into that cuntery than an off the cuff insult. Although again, the end result with both is pretty much the same.

A question of intent, I suppose. Going into the show armed with insults thinking "yeah I'm gonna get this fucker" is a shitty thing to do, but then going into a show not thinking that and regularly being a cunt to people in the moment doesn't speak volumes about you as a person either.

Like with Preston, that was pre-prepared cuntery of the highest order. It wasn't even that they were taking the piss out of him, that would have been one thing, but to relentlessly go after his wife with pre-prepared stuff? How was he supposed to react? I can't see how doing that kind of thing is less bad than someone doing off the cuff stuff. I'm no Preston fan, but that's the kind of stuff that borders on bullying and is why I eventually stopped watching the show.