Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:14:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Never Mind The Buzzcocks Returning On Sky

Started by Malcy, September 10, 2020, 07:03:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

He was reading from the book that she had 'written'.
Hardly bullying - even if he was taking the piss.

BeardFaceMan

If he was saying it to her, then yes. But he wasn't, he was just saying "look how stupid the person you married is". Again, how is he supposed to react to that?

Spiteface

To me, the biggest insult Amstell hit Preston with was before the show even started. - he introduced him as "Ordinary Boys frontman & professional celebrity" before claiming his band only had 2 fans. Preston seemed in a foul mood even before the mocking of his wife's book.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: DrGreggles on September 14, 2020, 04:27:50 PM
He was reading from the book that she had 'written'.
Hardly bullying - even if he was taking the piss.

This kind if thing is why I say it's borderline bullying -

Quote from: C_Larence on September 12, 2020, 05:16:41 AM
It really bugs me in that episode when Simon Amstell interrupts Donny Tourette insulting Bill Bailey (saying he wouldn't make a good tramp because people wouldn't give him money because he's "too ugly") to say he won't win the fight because Bailey is a professional comedian. It seems pretty obvious to me that Bailey didn't really have a comeback, he just makes a mock offended "woooo" noise.

It's comedians with a healthy reservoir of comebacks, looking after each other and insulting people who don't have the same experience with being insulted and can't fight back as easily. And on the rare occasions a guest did make a comeback, it would get lost in the edit. The show was there for the regulars to get their licks in, the guests didn't get a fair fight. See the increasing nastiness of the Mystery Lineup round, where the guests had to stand there and take it and couldn't say anything back, and the people on the panel sling their insults with this knowledge that they're untouchable, that's why that show felt a bit bullying to me.

jobotic

See the post about Bill Oddie and editing too.

Still it's Bill's own fault, he should have spent less time birdwatching and more time in the right Camden pubs braying away with the superior people.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 14, 2020, 04:34:11 PM
If he was saying it to her, then yes. But he wasn't, he was just saying "look how stupid the person you married is". Again, how is he supposed to react to that?
This, completely. This idea he should have laughed along and gone "yes, the person I liked enough to marry is extremely stupid" is bizarre.

BeardFaceMan

I see that there's a rumour that a pilot has already been filmed and Greg Davies was the host. That could be interesting.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 14, 2020, 05:22:51 PM
This, completely. This idea he should have laughed along and gone "yes, the person I liked enough to marry is extremely stupid" is bizarre.

When they were on Celeb Big Brother, he was making fun of her for being stupid all the time.

pigamus

Even a woman in the audience started heckling Amstell, I seem to remember.

Sin Agog

Sam Preston used to call me a hippie.  I never threw a strop on him.  Whether Amstell's jokes were good form or not, he was definitely an extremely self-important individual (hence suddenly telling everyone to drop the Sam one day).  Perhaps putting non-comedians in a roast environment was a bit of a powder keg, but the dude was just too dense not to react any other way.

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 14, 2020, 05:25:58 PM
I see that there's a rumour that a pilot has already been filmed and Greg Davies was the host. That could be interesting.

hmmm, not sure about this. I like Greg Davies but I've never had any sense of a great love of depth of knowledge of music from him. Feels like more interchangeable panel show stuff that did for the show originally

Famous Mortimer

Looking forward to abusing your loved ones in front of you, and you laughing along, because you've thought those things yourself once.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on September 14, 2020, 06:55:11 PM
hmmm, not sure about this. I like Greg Davies but I've never had any sense of a great love of depth of knowledge of music from him. Feels like more interchangeable panel show stuff that did for the show originally

Well he plays the guitar so he must have some kind of musical interest.

up_the_hampipe

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on September 14, 2020, 07:18:33 PM
Looking forward to abusing your loved ones in front of you, and you laughing along, because you've thought those things yourself once.

Abusing my loved ones? Oh please. Soften the language a little. It's a light mocking.

Sebastian Cobb

I dunno. There's a bit in Man Down where he raps a lot of Street Tuff, in his Triumph Acclaim.

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 14, 2020, 07:55:35 PM
I dunno. There's a bit in Man Down where he raps a lot of Street Tuff, in his Triumph Acclaim.

Well it's not Necro but it's a start.

Sebastian Cobb

More of a fan of his work as Congo Natty, I see.

I would have thought Acaster was the perfect fit for the hosting job. Fantastic comic obviously, but also seems to have extensive music knowledge.

Sin Agog

beanheadmcginty

The best presenter they ever had on this was Wogan.

Phil_A

Blimey, it wasn't even a "proper" marriage, it was a sham all cooked up for publicity. If I remember rightly they didn't even live together.

Admittedly, they did put young Preston in an awkward spot there. He could either acknowledge the absurdity of his position, effectively admitting his marriage was a joke, or make a big scene and stomp out of there. There was nothing else he could do but flounce at that point. But let's not pretend he was heroically defending the honour of a loved one now, come on.

Tony Tony Tony

Not sure why Greg Davies isn't get much appreciation here on the impending appointment as host.

Surely the main qualification for NMTB is to be funny not to have an encyclopedic knowledge or even love of music. Greg Davies is deffo funny.

First and foremost it is a comedy panel show not primarily a music quiz. If you want one of those may I suggest R4's Counterpoint.   

The Lurker

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on September 14, 2020, 04:41:28 PM
See the increasing nastiness of the Mystery Lineup round, where the guests had to stand there and take it and couldn't say anything back, and the people on the panel sling their insults with this knowledge that they're untouchable, that's why that show felt a bit bullying to me.

The identity parade bit where Martin Freeman said "they were famed from their energetic live shows" and Dappy responsded "it couldn't be number four then" towards a big guy seemed a bit cruel.

non capisco

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on September 14, 2020, 08:34:25 PM
I would have thought Acaster was the perfect fit for the hosting job. Fantastic comic obviously, but also seems to have extensive music knowledge.

He'd be brilliant but he'd quickly end up absolutely hating doing it, I reckon.

Captain Z

Quote from: Tony Tony Tony on September 14, 2020, 11:12:15 PM
Not sure why Greg Davies isn't get much appreciation here on the impending appointment as host.

Surely the main qualification for NMTB is to be funny not to have an encyclopedic knowledge or even love of music. Greg Davies is deffo funny.

First and foremost it is a comedy panel show not primarily a music quiz. If you want one of those may I suggest R4's Counterpoint.

This is absolutely spot on.

IN OPPOSITE WORLD.

lankyguy95

Short of bringing Lamarr back, I couldn't give a shit who's host. Just no interest in seeing Buzzcocks return.

ProvanFan

Amstell should do the audio book of Living the Dream: My Story

Menu

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on September 13, 2020, 05:14:05 PM
I dunno, it seems Lamarr could dig someone but show not complete contempt if they pushed back, a bit like Sheila Ferguson, but then his dislike for manufactured pop guests, especially women seemed to be visceral.

Yeah I suspect he had/has 'issues' with women. Some of that stuff was very ugly.