Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:36:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

'A Pair of Jeans Is A Pair Of Jeans. 15 Quid.'

Started by Dr Rock, September 10, 2020, 08:01:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Overheard the other day. Didn't see who said it. Agree or disagree?

Absorb the anus burn

shiftwork2

I worked in fashion for 20 years and if there's one item where there isn't a big discrepancy between the bottom and the top it's denim, to the extent that if you took the labels out it world be a tough call (maybe the softness of the denim would give it away, but the softer it is the quicker it wears out).

Blumf

Quote from: Better Midlands on September 10, 2020, 08:12:33 PM
I worked in fashion for 20 years and if there's one item where there isn't a big discrepancy between the bottom and the top it's denim, to the extent that if you took the labels out it world be a tough call (maybe the softness of the denim would give it away, but the softer it is the quicker it wears out).

It's all about the stitching, although I grant you it doesn't warrant the price difference.

Ferris

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 10, 2020, 08:11:13 PM
No, it is a jean.

Specifically said "pair" in the title, so the plural is correct. Sort it out.

Buelligan

Here they always call them a jean.  If it was a pair, you'd have two jean.  Hope this helps.

shiftwork2

The fashionistas - myself included - refer to the garment as a jean.  Sadly I think Ferris has outed himself as a man who wears Simon Bates trousers.

petril

Quote from: shiftwork2 on September 10, 2020, 11:03:03 PM
The fashionistas - myself included - refer to the garment as a jean.  Sadly I think Ferris has outed himself as a man who wears Simon Bates trousers.

shrinkflation gone mad

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Absorb the anus burn on September 10, 2020, 08:06:17 PM
Primark charge £8.00.

£6 in Matalan when there's a sale on.  I suspect they won't last you too long though, nor be especially tight around the arse.

JamesTC

honeychile

Is a pair of jeans (or a pair of anything else) singular or plural? I mean, it's a pair... which is two... but it's a pair... which is one. Is a pair of jeans a pair of jeans, or are a pair of jeans a pair of jeans?

Makes you think.

For me, it's singular Clive. But the british don't like to adhere to this. You often hear brits say things like "the government are doing x" or "Arsenal are trying to sign y", whereas our transatlantic homoglots (quite correctly in my view) would say "is" in both cases.

bgmnts

Quote from: honeychile on September 10, 2020, 11:13:09 PM
Is a pair of jeans (or a pair of anything else) singular or plural?

Plural.

You wouldn't say a pair of man would you? You'd say a pair of men.

Buelligan

How can it be plural if it's one jean?  This is where the French have you all beaten into a cocked hat.

bgmnts

I think its jeans (jeans, trousers, pants, chinos, chaps etc) rather than jean anyway but even if it were "a jean", a pair of them would be plural innit?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 10, 2020, 11:23:33 PM
I think its jeans (jeans, trousers, pants, chinos, chaps etc) rather than jean anyway but even if it were "a jean", a pair of them would be plural innit?

Agreed - "arseless chap" suggests something else entirely.

Cloud

I've been getting 2 for £15 from the local 'factory outlet' spot.... good as any else

honeychile

Quote from: bgmnts on September 10, 2020, 11:16:33 PM
Plural.

You wouldn't say a pair of man would you? You'd say a pair of men.

You misunderstand. Two men are plural. Two jeans are plural. But one pair of either is surely grammatically singular.

Five political parties are plural. A coalition of five political parties is singular.

bgmnts

Quote from: honeychile on September 10, 2020, 11:40:16 PM
You misunderstand. Two men are plural. Two jeans are plural. But one pair of either is surely grammatically singular.

Five political parties are plural. A coalition of five political parties is singular.

I get what you meant, but still you wouldn't say one pair of man would you? I don't know i'm not a grammar guy. But does it being one thing make it singular? You can have a group, a cluster, a crowd etc.

Buelligan

Americans can have a pair of underwear I believe.  Anything is possible.

honeychile

Quote from: bgmnts on September 10, 2020, 11:45:13 PM
I get what you meant, but still you wouldn't say one pair of man would you? I don't know i'm not a grammar guy. But does it being one thing make it singular? You can have a group, a cluster, a crowd etc.

Right - but do the group go somewhere, or does the group go somewhere? Do the crowd get teargassed, or does the crowd get teargassed? Do the cluster spread coronavirus, or does it spread coronavirus?

I'm going to bed now, if you fucking amoebae haven't got this sorted by the morning i'll be ensuring that the police does arrest you.

Sin Agog

Quote from: JamesTC on September 10, 2020, 11:09:28 PM
Who's Jean?

Was just watching an old movie with Jean Shrimpton, who's my cousin's aunt*, and felt awfully tempted to break out the old law books just in case, you know, something ever happened.

*she's not my mum. I know the law on that

bgmnts

Quote from: honeychile on September 10, 2020, 11:50:30 PM
Right - but do the group go somewhere, or does the group go somewhere? Do the crowd get teargassed, or does the crowd get teargassed? Do the cluster spread coronavirus, or does it spread coronavirus?

Yes.

Icehaven

Quote from: Buelligan on September 10, 2020, 11:48:15 PM
Americans can have a pair of underwear I believe.  Anything is possible.

Don't get me started on what pants are.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: honeychile on September 10, 2020, 11:55:27 PM
Thanks for the swift conclusion. The police has been called off.

(Andy Summers puts guitar back in bag)