Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:42:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good bits of Floyd

Started by famethrowa, September 10, 2020, 10:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

- The first chord of the first song, Arnold Layne. A shiny combo of guitar and Farfisa kicks down the door as Syd breathlessly rushes in to tell you about a thieving crossdresser.

- The end of Have a Cigar, with the solo running wild, how will it end? Well the arse falls out as it turns into a transistor radio, eventually getting tuned out altogether.

- The minutes-long synth breakdown in Dogs. The string machine is totally inhuman, time just stands still

- When the drums double-time at the end of On The Turning Away. The giant lumbering machine finally gets going....

Bonus Gilmour cameo:
- The first solo in No More Lonely Nights, a flanged out alien bursts into Macca's cosy little studio and cuts through the treacle. Eventually takes over the song and carves it up.

bgmnts

The little guitar bits at the beginning of Another Brick in the Wall are still ace.

shagatha crustie

The pure wealth-hollowed desolation in Gilmour's voice: 'it's alright, we told you what to dream: you dreamed of a big star... he played a mean guitar... always ate in the steak bar... loved to drive in his jaguar...'

famethrowa

Quote from: bgmnts on September 10, 2020, 10:31:46 PM
The little guitar bits at the beginning of Another Brick in the Wall are still ace.

The dit dididit delay guitar or the high disco chords? Both are good

famethrowa

Quote from: shagatha crustie on September 10, 2020, 11:10:45 PM
'it's alright, we told you what to dream'

Love how he goes for the high note there and only just gets it.

bgmnts

Quote from: famethrowa on September 10, 2020, 11:15:47 PM
The dit dididit delay guitar or the high disco chords? Both are good

The former I guess. The little twangs and screeches, it's ace. It plays throughout the whole song but I love the beginning bit the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cfJqYtmmqA&ab_channel=PinkFloyd-Topic

popcorn

I do love how Another Brick has that obvious disco element but somehow doesn't come off as just embarrassing like so many other acts that suddenly went disco in the late era. It just feels natural.

Always felt the song was missing a classic trick though, where everything would drop out but the final kids' chorus. Instead it just sort of fades out. Always wanted to try remixing it to see if that idea would work but the stems don't seem to be available which is surprising.

I had a go at learning the solo the other day and discovered it contains bends the length of Saturn's rings. I assume they require some particular kind of string gauge because I could find no way of making them feasible.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: bgmnts on September 10, 2020, 11:20:06 PM
The former I guess. The little twangs and screeches, it's ace. It plays throughout the whole song but I love the beginning bit the most.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cfJqYtmmqA&ab_channel=PinkFloyd-Topic

It's one of the recurring themes/motifs that pepper the whole album.

Quote from: popcorn on September 10, 2020, 11:27:27 PM
I had a go at learning the solo the other day and discovered it contains bends the length of Saturn's rings. I assume they require some particular kind of string gauge because I could find no way of making them feasible.

He's been using custom strings (which I think are now available off the shelf as signature strings) for years, starting (I think I'm right in saying) at The Wall.   Prior to that he was just using standard off the shelf ones.

Tony Tony Tony

The bit in Wish You Were Here, at the start, where it changes from sounding like a radio to those crystal clear chords.

Then later in the same track

How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're just two lost souls
Swimming in a fish bowl
Year after year

Sung with an aching passion.

"Bleating and babbling we fell on his neck with a screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!

Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!"

Animals is definitely my favourite Floyd album.

famethrowa

Quote from: His Name Is Death on September 11, 2020, 12:17:33 AM

I thought about that, how the voice crossfades in to the same synth note... simple but great.

famethrowa

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 10, 2020, 11:42:53 PM
It's one of the recurring themes/motifs that pepper the whole album.

It's good how it pulses all through the album, they'd obviously been messing around with that sound since 1971 at least.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Good Pink Floyd is a misnomer

Sin Agog

That police officer seemed to favour his neck.

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on September 11, 2020, 12:58:58 AM
Good Pink Floyd is a misnomer
I love them, but on the other hand, I'm sure many fans have had a chuckle at that bootleg with this bit on it:

"The Pink Floyd - you're going to hear them in a minute and I do not want to prejudice you. Hear them and see them first and we'll talk about them afterwards but four quick points I want to make before you hear them.

The first is that what you heard at the beginning, that short bit, those few seconds, are really all I can hear in them, which is to say to my mind, there is continuous repetition and proportionally they are a bit boring."

Flouncer

The bit in Echoes, between the wooshy, formless noisy bit and the last verse. The radar ping from the beginning returns and Rick's shimmering Farfisa chords come in, then Gilmour's palm muted guitar and the folky keyboard melody... Nick's drums gradually, delicately ramping it up, and then all of a sudden you get the fuzzy glissando background guitar and those beautiful, dancing delay chords explode out; flittering around like ethereal butterflies, layering over one another, each one seeming to spiral off into the sky as it fades away... That's the most beautiful, well crafted and emotionally effective part of any piece of music I can think of. Just perfect; incredibly organic and full of the essence of life itself.

buzby

Always wanted to try remixing it to see if that idea would work but the stems don't seem to be available which is surprising.
I don't think it's surprising at all. They have always been very careful about access to their masters, and they weren't daft enough to licence their catalogue for Guitar Hero or Rock Band.

Quote from: famethrowa on September 11, 2020, 12:34:44 AM
I thought about that, how the voice crossfades in to the same synth note... simple but great.
That effect is probably my favourite part on Animals. ON a couple of occasions they didn't fade down his voice completely and you hear ti going off in a different direction to the synth.

popcorn

Quote from: buzby on September 11, 2020, 02:08:43 AM
I don't think it's surprising at all. They have always been very careful about access to their masters, and they weren't daft enough to licence their catalogue for Guitar Hero or Rock Band.

I'm just always surprised when stems for anything old and famous aren't available online. They typically are. I guess not for Pink Floyd though!

Twonty Gostelow

It would probably be a different post tomorrow, but I remember being intensely transfixed the first time I listened to WYWH the album, but suddenly relaxing and almost melting with joy when the clavinet figure in Shine Pt 8 kicked in.

Also "Why can't you see?" in Arnold Layne because it sounds exactly like Eric Idle.

BlodwynPig

I do love how Another Brick has that obvious disco element but somehow doesn't come off as just embarrassing like so many other acts that suddenly went disco in the late era. It just feels natural.

Always felt the song was missing a classic trick though, where everything would drop out but the final kids' chorus. Instead it just sort of fades out. Always wanted to try remixing it to see if that idea would work but the stems don't seem to be available which is surprising.

BlodwynPig

Gilmour rocking out well past the fade out on The Gold it's in the...infinity wig out

daf

That's a great album ^  originally released in 1977 by some French proggers from Magma.

shagatha crustie

Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into the dreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeam!"

This is a super lyric.

Also when it explodes into the final riff at the end. Just massive.

BlodwynPig

Listening to Careful With That Axe Live in Toronto 1973...I don't think I've heard a dud version of that live. This is a phenomenal version, on a par with Pompeii.

The reaction of the audience to Set the Controls... can be heard clearly.

Man 1: "Hooolly Shiiit"

Man 2: *orgasmic cries*

Man 1: "What the fuck?!"

Man 2: *French accent* "Bravo, Bravo!"

edit: Water's screaming on Eugene elicits almost the same as above but even more orgasmic...the crowd reach peak orgasm. Fucking sublime. So tangible, they probably never recovered.

phantom_power

It's funny how they are seen by most as posh laid-back hippy proggers who just do noodly stuff like Wish You Were Here and Dark Side of the Moon. Animals is one of the angriest albums of the 70s, bristling with fury at the complacency of the rich and the corrupting influence of capitalism. It is definitely my favourite of theirs

BlodwynPig

"Mop Haired, Never Cared
Ha, ha, charade you are
You shit fly on HIGNFY
Ha, ha, charade you are
And when your mass is hidden in the fridge
You're nearly a good laugh
Almost a joker
With your head down in another whore
Saying 'Keep on ligging'
Cum stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find
Down in the Trump mine?
You're nearly a laugh
You're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry"

SpiderChrist

Fuck yes. Animals is my fave too. Righteous anger and all that.

Fr.Bigley

the science eel

"that cat's something I can't explaaaiiin"

sweeper

The last 35 seconds of Jugband Blues. The sound of someone, literally and sonically, disappearing. With or without the context of its creation I find it incredibly haunting, and I know Syd's intention was to wind up the other squares in the group, but in these last moments you can hear the sarcasm slipping, and something more vulnerable creeping in. 'And what exactly is a joke?' Chills me to the bone. For better or worse, I think it's the benchmark by which I have measured music ever since I first heard it.

Everything they did after this is just the sound of some posh blokes messing around because they didn't fancy being architects. Which isn't to say that they weren't good, here and there, but Jugband Blues is fried gold.