Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 08:03:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good bits of Floyd

Started by famethrowa, September 10, 2020, 10:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

famethrowa

Do we have to choose sides? There's gold in all of it. How about this, I've come to enjoy the over-the-top bass slapping of Guy Pratt, especially in the middle of One Slip where the thumbs get let loose as if to prove Roger isn't in the bass seat anymore.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: famethrowa on September 24, 2020, 03:03:13 AM
Do we have to choose sides? There's gold in all of it. How about this, I've come to enjoy the over-the-top bass slapping of Guy Pratt, especially in the middle of One Slip where the thumbs get let loose as if to prove Roger isn't in the bass seat anymore.

true dat, fucking great bit of bassing.

SteveDave

I'd go for the knackered sounding bass in "One Of These Days", the weird little laugh in "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and "That cat's something I carn't explaaaaaaaaaaaaaain"

popcorn

Quote from: famethrowa on September 24, 2020, 03:03:13 AM

Guy Pratt didn't play on Momentary Lapse though did he?

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: rue the polywhirl on September 12, 2020, 07:55:03 PM
I think this is true to a large extent. Eclipse is an almighty epic closure to one of the best albums of all time. Pigs on the Wing pt2 is a tender resolution to 40 minute black hole of cynicism that went before it. The last few minutes of Shine On You Crazy Diamond help make it feel like a true swan song/send off. Echoes fades out eeriely and beautiful. And all the noise at the end of Bike is clatterful and inspired.

OK, I'll rephrase that:

The best bits of Floyd are the bits where they actually decide to put down their instruments and do something else instead, like go and eat lunch or do a poo or a bit of gardening or something.

SteveDave

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on September 24, 2020, 11:02:29 AM
OK, I'll rephrase that:

The best bits of Floyd are the bits where they actually decide to put down their instruments and do something else instead, like go and eat lunch or do a poo or a bit of gardening or something.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: SteveDave on September 24, 2020, 08:24:32 AM
I'd go for the knackered sounding bass in "One Of These Days", the weird little laugh in "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" and "That cat's something I carn't explaaaaaaaaaaaaaain"

Wasn't the bass just two bass lines superimposed on top of each other with a slight delay in one?

Neville Chamberlain

famethrowa

Quote from: popcorn on September 24, 2020, 10:56:20 AM
Guy Pratt didn't play on Momentary Lapse though did he?

I guess I'm thinking of the live version, where he really let it rip. Who played bass on the album? *checks wiki* ahhhh Tony Levin and his stick.

popcorn

Quote from: famethrowa on September 24, 2020, 02:50:04 PM
I guess I'm thinking of the live version, where he really let it rip. Who played bass on the album? *checks wiki* ahhhh Tony Levin and his stick.

Ah right, the Momentary Lapse stuff is the Floyd material I know the least. No idea about different live versions or whatever.

Coincidentally I just finished listening to the audiobook of Guy Pratt's memoir. I devour mediocre music memoirs for some reason, they seem to soundtrack doing the washing or weeding the drive better than anything else. He is a likeable scamp though.

BlodwynPig

Many of you will know The Amazing Pudding fanzine, but does anyone remember a short-lived one that was themed around crustaceans and had an article about Syd Barrett returning the music scene with an album about lobsters. As a naive 14 year old I sucked it all up, finally 'getting it' half-way through the 'zine. (no internet* in those days).

*outside of research labs.

BlodwynPig

BlodwynPig

Quote from: olliebean on September 24, 2020, 10:06:53 PM
Here's the original version, for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJb7w5bxXk&t=154

Much better. But im probably thinking of another slap bass solo.

famethrowa

Here's the original version, for comparison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEJb7w5bxXk&t=154

Oh god the 80sness of it, high pants, Spector bass, etc etc

BlodwynPig

Quote from: famethrowa on September 25, 2020, 12:08:19 AM
Oh god the 80sness of it, high pants, Spector bass, etc etc

And? This was the 80s, hence why you associate. Its like when you see a donkey, you say "look, the donkeyness of it"

SpiderChrist

I don't understand the Syd era vs post-Syd hoo-ha. I enjoy both pretty much equally. Where I part ways with Floyd is the post-Roger stuff, which always sounds rather dull (what I've heard of it, anyway).

EDIT: I think it might be to do with Gilmour's voice, which needs the contrast between his singing and Waters'. Not sure I've explained myself very well at all there.

famethrowa

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 25, 2020, 07:11:10 AM
And? This was the 80s, hence why you associate. Its like when you see a donkey, you say "look, the donkeyness of it"

That's exactly what I do with most creatures. Who wouldn't?

BlodwynPig

Quote from: famethrowa on September 25, 2020, 07:39:34 AM
That's exactly what I do with most creatures. Who wouldn't?

what do you do with the Loch Ness Monster?

SpiderChrist

BlodwynPig

SteveDave

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 24, 2020, 12:01:26 PM
Wasn't the bass just two bass lines superimposed on top of each other with a slight delay in one?

According to the good people of wikipedia:

QuoteIt features double-tracked bass guitars played by David Gilmour and Roger Waters, with each bass hard panned into one channel of stereo, but one bass sound is quite muted and dull. According to Gilmour, this is because that particular instrument had old strings on it, and the roadie they had sent to get new strings for it wandered off to see his girlfriend instead.

buzby

Nick Mason doesn't look particulary impressed at that fret wankery. Nice to see ex-CFF actress Rachel Fury and Durga McBroom on backing vocals though.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: buzby on September 25, 2020, 11:07:36 AM
Nick Mason doesn't look particulary impressed at that fret wankery. Nice to see ex-CFF actress Rachel Fury and Durga McBroom on backing vocals though.

Sadly Fury retreated from public view in the intervening years. She did make an appearance on the Blue Pearl project (Durga's outfit supported by Youth/Martin Glover and Gilmour)

BlodwynPig

Oh, the McBroom sisters have just released this

https://www.discogs.com/The-McBroom-Sisters-Black-Floyd/release/15638128

QuoteThis is the debut album of The McBroom Sisters called "Black Floyd". The McBroom Sisters are Durga McBroom and Lorelei McBroom, former backing vocalists for the legendary Pink Floyd and many others. On this album they sing both lead and backing vocals on a combination of classic Pink Floyd covers and their own original songs co-written with Jon Carin, Guy Pratt, Lemmy Kilmister, Paul Litteral, Dave Kerzner and more.

Mantle Retractor

This might be one for the alternative lyrics thread, but every time I hear the line in "Hey You":

'Open your heart, I'm coming home'

I always change 'heart' to 'legs'. Gilmour's solo is a good 'un as well.

sweeper

Quote from: SpiderChrist on September 25, 2020, 07:29:55 AM
I don't understand the Syd era vs post-Syd hoo-ha. I enjoy both pretty much equally. Where I part ways with Floyd is the post-Roger stuff, which always sounds rather dull (what I've heard of it, anyway).

They are audibly the same band post-Syd, just with less direction, which from Saucerful of Secrets to Dark Side is sporadically (seemingly accidentally) a pretty good thing.

The real division comes post-Dark Side, in my opinion, when a perceptible sourness creeps in as they gradually become a Roger Waters solo project, and his beaky wheezy cheese grater singing comes to the fore.

The least pleasant sound in the history of popular music is Roger Waters + a microphone.

buzby

Quote from: BlodwynPig on September 25, 2020, 11:23:56 AM
Sadly Fury retreated from public view in the intervening years. She did make an appearance on the Blue Pearl project (Durga's outfit supported by Youth/Martin Glover and Gilmour)
She appeared once with Blue Pearl for what I think was their only live performance,  Down To You on The Word. The vocals on the Naked album were all McBroom.

I'm not surprised she went to ground as there is a very creepy element of PF fans who are obsessed with her. It's also rumoured that Gilmour was having an affair with her during the A Momentary Lapse of Reason tour which was the cause of his divorce from Ginger (she was James Guthrie's girlfriend, which is how she ended up working with the band). Even Durga lost contact with her, and put a request out on her FB page a while back asking for how she could get back in touch with her.

Blue Pearl was just Glover and McBroom. Gilmour & Wright only guested on their first (non charting) single Alive, and Gilmour played a bit of guitar on their (ropey) cover of Running Up That Hill on the Naked album,  presumably as a favour to McBroom. They are mainly remembered for Glover ripping off his ex-bandmate from Brilliant on Naked In The Rain, and then taking the credit (and Jazz Summers taking the money) when Graham Massey's remix made it into a hit single. They recorded a second album in 1992, but after the first two singles flopped it never got released.