Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:15:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts season 2

Started by Norton Canes, September 11, 2020, 12:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I don't have much to add as you've all summed up how I feel about the show. It's lovely, if a tad uneven.

One thing that occurred to me, though. They'll obviously never explicitly explain why the Tory MP died without his trousers on, as it's a family show. We know, and that's enough. But what if young kids ask their parents about it? I suppose they could just lie and say he was in the middle of getting dressed when he had a heart attack.

Have any of you child-rearing Cabbers had to deal with this pressing issue?

Alberon

It's best if they never explain it. I'd have gone further and made a point of not even referring to his trouserlessness. Every adult watching would jump to the same conclusion anyway.

The Mollusk

In a similar vein (as mentioned in my other post), how do we reckon the Captain died? His ghost isn't showing any signs of injury and it seems from his backstory that he never saw combat stationed at Button House. My partner suggested suicide but I would have thought if he'd done that he would have shot himself, right?

Mobius

I had thought it was suicide too (grief over his colleague he fancied leaving) - figured it was implied but not shown because it's a tad bleak.

Enjoyed the last episode although yeah, didn't care about whether the wedding happened. The "woman says bad thing about  husband, who walks out of scene before she says loads of nice stuff" bit is very old hat.

I spent the whole episode thinking Gerard from Peep Show was angry at that bloke for shagging his wife, but he turned out to be the kid who killed him!

Tory Politician Ghost is definitely my favourite. So I guess he can sort of still touch/move stuff because he's like a more fresh ghost? Headless ghost is funny too.

Am curious about some of the backstories such as Lolly Adelope's character.

Anyway nice enjoyable show.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: Alberon on September 30, 2020, 07:32:43 PM
It's best if they never explain it. I'd have gone further and made a point of not even referring to his trouserlessness. Every adult watching would jump to the same conclusion anyway.

Oh definitely, it would be so much funnier if they'd never referred to it at all. Not that they've ever made a big deal out of it, but some jokes are better left unacknowledged.

I was just typing out loud earlier, no child will ever jump to the obvious conclusions that the rest of us did. They presumably just think it's a ghost who has no trousers, which is funny enough in itself.

ishantbekeepingit

The last episode's plot does just seem to serve to make Mike look a bit of a wazzock.  Had he really never heard any of that stuff about wedding jitters and all the rest of it before?  I know about it and I'm hopeless when it comes to human relations.

neveragain

It was a cheesy, cliched moment (as was the two burglars explaining what they were doing as they were walking up to the house) but it's such a lovely show we can let it slide.

bobloblaw

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 30, 2020, 07:24:34 PM
I don't have much to add as you've all summed up how I feel about the show. It's lovely, if a tad uneven.

One thing that occurred to me, though. They'll obviously never explicitly explain why the Tory MP died without his trousers on, as it's a family show. We know, and that's enough. But what if young kids ask their parents about it? I suppose they could just lie and say he was in the middle of getting dressed when he had a heart attack.

Have any of you child-rearing Cabbers had to deal with this pressing issue?

The Christmas special is going to be all about Julian's demise apparently. So perhaps they'll subvert expectations of how he actually died. I am quite surprised at times how much stuff he slips in about threesomes and wanking and the like - it was certainly jarring at first due to its 'new show from Horrible Histories guys' selling point, but I guess it's still less blatant than some of the 'family' sitcoms of yesteryear with their pussy gags and whatnot

I'm not sure the Fanny jokes are less blatant!

The Mollusk

I have frequently very much enjoyed how Julian's shirt barely conceals his nether regions, especially when he's sitting down and flagrantly man-spreading.

The Roofdog

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on October 01, 2020, 10:40:29 AM
I'm not sure the Fanny jokes are less blatant!

Jesus, I've only just realised that her full name is Fanny Button

Virgo76

Why did Pat say there were lots of nice women for Julian to enjoy in 2001: A Space Odyssey? (or words to that effect)
I don't even remember any women being in it.

Icehaven

Quote from: The Mollusk on September 30, 2020, 11:02:36 PM
In a similar vein (as mentioned in my other post), how do we reckon the Captain died? His ghost isn't showing any signs of injury and it seems from his backstory that he never saw combat stationed at Button House. My partner suggested suicide but I would have thought if he'd done that he would have shot himself, right?

If it was suicide it could have been overdose, which wouldn't necessarily leave any obvious physical damage. Either that or it's going to turn out he's not really dead and is actually 95 and in a coma somewhere, like in Ghost Dad.

ajsmith2

Quote from: Virgo76 on October 01, 2020, 11:17:22 AM
Why did Pat say there were lots of nice women for Julian to enjoy in 2001: A Space Odyssey? (or words to that effect)
I don't even remember any women being in it.

Yeah that struck me as odd too. Not counting the guys kid daughter on the proto Skype link (No way they'd be going as dark as suggesting Julian was that bad of a perve) and presumably some girl apes, (outside chance maybe that's more his thing, I guess) the only females seen are the three women in the scene with Leonard Rossiter and the air flight attendants. I mean the latter are conventionally attractive 60s dollies sure and the 'walking on the ceiling' scene is iconic but they've  probably got a screen time of less than 5 minutes that's over with less than halfway into the film. Really doubt that would be enougn to satisfy someone of Julian's appetite, especially over 3 plus hours.

Women of 2001: an incomplete visual guide:

Virgo76

An impressively thorough response.

SteveDave

I laughed heartily at Pat growling "Borstal!" at the young burglar.

gilbertharding

I have only watched the first two episodes, because I'm a traditionalist.

The second episode was very good in the way all the strands came together suddenly (like, in about two seconds) right at the end.

Enjoyed Episode 3 a lot - did not expect the volleyball scene.

QuoteThe Captain's backstory made me do a tear from one of my eyes.

Even though I expected it, that was really well done.

I thought they explained the Tory guy's death - he googled himself looking for his legacy. But also agree, trouserless ghosts are inherently funny.

kidsick5000

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 05, 2020, 09:35:08 PM
Enjoyed Episode 3 a lot - did not expect the volleyball scene.

I really liked that. Lasted just long enough and wasn't too much of a facsimile

The Lurker

Just finished the series. Very well written and enjoyable - the Captain's backstory in episode three especially touching.

Natnar

I do like how the backstories of the ghosts and the house are being revealed. Also that there have been other ghosts at the house in the past that have moved on (or got "sucked off").

Bad Ambassador

More flashbacks and past ghosts for S3, please. Also, something about Julian's past as an MP having an impact on the house now might be interesting. Some bit of planning legislation he forced through for a mate threatening to have the house knocked down.

Andy147

Quote from: A Hat Like That on October 05, 2020, 09:35:08 PM
I thought they explained the Tory guy's death - he googled himself looking for his legacy. But also agree, trouserless ghosts are inherently funny.

Yes, in S1E2 he googled it and found various headlines about his death.

In S2E4 (the one about Thomas's death from various viewpoints), what was going on at the end when he kept getting out the letter and it kept disappearing?

Norton Canes

I think it was to show that anything which is 'part' of you when you die and become a ghost, such as clothing or significant artefacts (e.g. Pat's arrow) can't be changed or disposed of.

Tony Tony Tony

Just discovered that the headless Ghost is payed by two actors. His head is played by Lawrence Rickard, and his body is played by Yani Alexansandrov. Not sure why I was surprised but 'F*ck my Telly Hat. I Didn't Know That!'.

Also as above it is mentioned that Fanny is called Fanny Button, Fnarr Fnarr. Made me realise that Julian is called Fawcett... force It, geddit?

Andy147

Quote from: Norton Canes on October 25, 2020, 04:56:06 PM
I think it was to show that anything which is 'part' of you when you die and become a ghost, such as clothing or significant artefacts (e.g. Pat's arrow) can't be changed or disposed of.

Ah, and it had gone from being a treasured memento of his lost love (even if she was rejecting him in it) to an unwanted reminder of his treacherous cousin.

Makes sense now - ta.

Norton Canes

Just a quick post to say do make sure you catch the Christmas special that's just been on, otherwise you'll miss one of the best things that's ever been on telly ever 

markburgle

I did really like it, hit that Christmas sentimentality right on the Button [House].

I was watching it with my flatmates though so had to restrain myself from getting teary during the carol so they wouldn't start taking the piss (Christmas cheesiness has a way of slicing straight through my crusty exterior and prodding directly at the mushiness within).

Alberon

Yeah, proper Christmas special. Enjoyed that.

neveragain

Only criticism is they didn't know what to do with Robin (he's not a dog! If anything he'd be closer to an ape in behaviour) but apart from that it was perfect.