Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 02:25:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ghosts season 2

Started by Norton Canes, September 11, 2020, 12:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr_Simnock

Not the best, not keen on working out how a show will play out within 5 minute of it starting then hoping there is a twist somewhere and finding sadly there isn't, shame, still better than most christmas specials that have come out of the bbc of late.

It was nice. I liked it more than the Motherland Christmas special, which was also on.

sheddyian

It wasn't laugh heavy, but was just a lovely heartwarming show, a perfect Xmas special.

The insight and wisdom being delivered by someone who previously showed no morals was a nice touch. A clumsy writer would have had him go through a clichéd Dickens pastiche to get there, this was much better.

I agree that Robin did seem a bit neglected, but in the story he still goes from skepticism about Christmas to enjoyment and contentment, laying on front of a warm fire.

The whole episode is a warm fire after a cold year.

markburgle

Robin isn't my fave character but he's had my favourite moment so far - "Is it Mick Hucknall?"

The Lurker

Good to have had a Julian episode finally. Loved the
Spoiler alert
hiding in a fridge
[close]
gag

kalowski

Quote from: thecuriousorange on December 24, 2020, 02:00:53 AM
It was nice. I liked it more than the Motherland Christmas special, which was also on.
It was lovely and funny. And the carol was heartwarming.
And the Motherland special was probably the best episode of that show there's been.

DrGreggles

Yes, it was lovely.
Tremendous curtains gag too.

Magnum Valentino

The wee babby putting her hand 'through' him wrecked me utterly. I've only seen an episode or two of this before so even with no investment in the show or its characters for it to have got me that strongly was a great achievement. Great recommendation yousins.

kidsick5000

"Me good boy"
Lots packed in. Fantastic stuff.

Twit 2

Just binge watched all this. Loved both seasons, but found the Xmas too cheesy. I'll forgive them as they've earned it, but a bit too bright for me.

I particularly enjoy the peasant/witch woman and her anachronistic dialogue (worms for cables etc). Her petering-out vague explanation with
Lolly ghost of what got stolen in the burglary had me in stitches. Another highlight was the radio DJ-ing, with the poet ghost's utterly non-plussed reactions segueing into smooth advert voiceovers.

As a fan of massively OTT line readings, this one was classic.

Norton Canes

Laurence Rickard's series 3 update

The good news: the cast hope to start filming series 3 "sometime in the first six months of 2021", dependent upon scheduling conflicts. The also good news, but: they're conforming to COVID filming restrictions, which might mean fewer ensemble scenes. Which would be a huge pity, because it's the ensemble stuff that really makes the show.

TBH I didn't realise COVID filming restrictions involved keeping cast members apart from each other. Surely you only go ahead and film once you're sure everyone on set has tested negative, in which case it doesn't matter how close they get to each other.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 28, 2021, 02:24:44 PM
TBH I didn't realise COVID filming restrictions involved keeping cast members apart from each other. Surely you only go ahead and film once you're sure everyone on set has tested negative, in which case it doesn't matter how close they get to each other.

What, and lock everyone into the set until they've finished filming?

Norton Canes

I did imagine the cast and crew would be an isolated, negative-tested bubble, yeah. Not that they'd necessarily film the entire series in one go though.

Norton Canes

Apologies for the thread resurrection (though it seems apt here) but I thought if I started a season three thread now it would sink into oblivion by the time it airs.

Anyway, apparently filming has wrapped on that third season - and I thought they were still planning whether they could even do it under COVID restrictions. Expect it to hit the screen some time in autumn, I guess. Along with a new thread.

(I read that the team were angling for a fourth and fifth season and that the outcome of season three would depend on whether these were commissioned) 

MigraineBoy

Kiell Smith-Bynoe was on Sunday Brunch and he said the cast formed a series of bubbles with each other, then a few weeks later they formed new bubbles, allowing them to be able to film with everyone across the whole series...even if it meant weeks between scenes being finished.

Norton Canes

That's dedication for you (and also exactly what I hypothesized three posts up)

Bad Ambassador

US version greenlit, to air in the autumn. Same showrunners as the US version of The IT Crowd, so this'll go well.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/cbs-fall-2021-schedule-ncis-fbi-csi-1234976357/

GHOSTS (Thursday, 9:00-9:30 PM)
GHOSTS is a single-camera comedy about Samantha (Rose McIver) and Jay (Utkarsh Ambudkar), a cheerful freelance journalist and up-and-coming chef from the city, respectively, who throw both caution and money to the wind when they decide to convert a huge rundown country estate they inherited into a bed & breakfast—only to find it's inhabited by the many spirits of deceased residents who now call it home. The departed souls are a close-knit, eclectic group that includes a saucy Prohibition-era lounge singer, a pompous 1700's Militiaman, a '60s hippie fond of hallucinogens, an overly upbeat '80s scout troop leader, a cod-obsessed Viking explorer from 1009, a slick '90s finance bro, a sarcastic and witty Native from the 1500s, and a society woman and wife of an 1800's robber baron who is Samantha's ancestor, to name a few. If the spirits were anxious about the commotion a renovation and B&B will create in their home, it's nothing compared to when they realize Samantha is the first live person who can see and hear them. Joe Port & Joe Wiseman, Mathew Baynton, Jim Howick, Simon Farnaby, Laurence Rickard, Ben Willbond and Martha Howe-Douglas; Alison Carpenter, Debra Hayward, and Alison Owen (Monumental Television); and Angie Stephenson (BBC Studios) are the executive producers for CBS Studios in association with Lionsgate Television and BBC Studios' Los Angeles production arm. Trent O'Donnell is an executive producer (pilot only) and directed the pilot from a script by Port & Wiseman. Based on the BBC Studios distributed format.

GHOSTS stars Rose McIver as Samantha, Utkarsh Ambudkar as Jay, Danielle Pinnock as Alberta, Brandon Scott Jones as Isaac, Richie Moriarty as Pete, Asher Grodman as Trevor, Sheila Carrasco as Flower, Román Zaragoza as Sasappis, Devan Chandler Long as Thorfinn, and Rebecca Wisocky as Hetty.

neveragain

Interesting to see how they've changed the characters. Not that I expected a Thatcherite MP in there.

Norton Canes

Quote from: Bad Ambassador on May 19, 2021, 11:36:48 PM
a cod-obsessed Viking explorer

Does that means he only pretends to be obsessed?

bobloblaw

Trailer up: looks reasonably faithful but some awful music in there and US networks still think pixellated nudity is hilarious

https://www.cbs.com/shows/ghosts/news/1010282/new-comedy-ghosts-joins-cbs-fall-lineup/

frajer

Quote from: bobloblaw on May 20, 2021, 11:44:22 AM
Trailer up: looks reasonably faithful but some awful music in there and US networks still think pixellated nudity is hilarious

https://www.cbs.com/shows/ghosts/news/1010282/new-comedy-ghosts-joins-cbs-fall-lineup/

Hmmm this does seem so close to the original as to be absolutely pointless. A lot of YouTube comments saying it could be a US Office scenario, but that always feels perilously close to saying "the first series will be shit, second series will be better."

And yeah the constant threat/promise of seeing Farnaby's balls is far funnier than if they were ever revealed.

Bad Ambassador

It does get around the issue of Julian actively trying to kill Alison in the first episode, and it never being mentioned again, but the rest I'm prepared to put down to it being a trailer to promote it, rather than the completed finished product, and that the rough edges might be sanded down after the first couple of episodes.

Pink Gregory

I may be hair-splitting, but the way that the couple's (successful) careers are mentioned in that write-up...were their jobs ever mentioned beyond just working on laptops occasionally?  It seemed like such an unimportant point to now add to their characters.

neveragain

They're Americn characters, of course they have to be successful!
(If you mean the US ones)

Alberon

Unfortunate photo there with the Native American hidden at the back.

Shame there's no exact Robin analogue, but I suppose doing a caveman on the American continent comes with a whole load of racial issues the British version didn't have to face.

I'll give it a look, but it's hard to see it ever appealing more to me than the original.

olliebean

For anyone getting the same can't-play-this-video message as I did, the trailer is also here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03--3HM4YKc