Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:23:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Black Sabbath's heaven & hell (shit & good) of music

Started by The Mollusk, September 11, 2020, 02:19:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Quote from: iamcoop on September 15, 2020, 01:10:28 AM
Completely forgot that this existed.

in the long term I think everyone forgot about it. shafting bill ward was a bad decision. and hiring rick rubin. and making it bad.

Reckon Osbourne's never going to perform again because of the covid situation, unless Priest and Ozzy do a European tour, but they're not going to play the UK or US anytime soon

Famous Mortimer

Judas Priest have rescheduled their local (to me) outdoor show to 2021. Whether it goes ahead or not is anyone's guess.

https://www.livenation.com/event/vv17bZp7GkDEEqWB/judas-priest-50-heavy-metal-years

DoesNotFollow

I enjoy both, it really depends what I'm in the mood to listen to. For me Sabbath is mostly about Iommi's riffs and song writing and it works with both Ozzy and Dio on vocals, just in different ways. I also quite like Born Again.
If I'm in the mood for something a bit more grandiose and fantastic (i.e. with Dio's vocals) I can choose between Rainbow, Black Sabbath/Heaven & Hell or Dio, which is great.

Definitely get on Pentagram, and Saint Vitus if you haven't. Big back catalogues of stuff to sift through there.

thugler

Quote from: idunnosomename on September 19, 2020, 01:04:36 AM
Reckon Osbourne's never going to perform again because of the covid situation

He probably should have stopped a while ago, recording and all, his voice is absolutely fucked. I read that all through his Sabbath years he was singing in the 'wrong' way and this has fucked up his chords something rotten. I do wonder if the way things are now with all these ancient rock monsters still touring at ripe old ages will ever happen again. The level of stardom of performers from that generation seems less common now.

idunnosomename

it genuinely is a huge problem for Osbourne that he never learnt proper singing technique while in Sabbath. he really did a lot of damage to his voice by not using his lungs at all. I mean yeah, he suits those early Sabbath songs very well, even the slower ones (like solitude, planet caravan, however much they go through a filter), but the fucker genuinely can't sing. he must've had some vocal coaching in the 80s to actually do a bit of breathing (and if you sing through a microphone, you really don't need to do much compared to an opera singer) but would've been a bit late by then.

That said Rob Halford's voice is also a bit fucked. always doubled over. and the band's in a right state with K.K. ostracised and Glenn down with parkinson's.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: boki on September 17, 2020, 01:41:18 PM
Every Swedish person has at least a bit of a metal phase, so it totally checks out.

It certainly does in this case:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ70oQVos5Q

shh

Badmotorfinger was one of their better later efforts.

I jest, but here's soundarden's take on into the void.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2CD0hn1hY

idunnosomename

i saw Exhorder do their Into the Void cover last year and went fucking mental. love Into the Void