Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 01:56:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Toots and the Gravetals

Started by Sebastian Cobb, September 12, 2020, 10:25:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54129388

That's a shame, one of the older boys that still had his voice when I last saw him.

He was set to be releasing his first lp in 10 years as well.
https://thevinylfactory.com/news/toots-and-the-maytals-new-album-got-to-be-tough/

Malcy

Yeah sad news, have had his music blasting all morning. The new album is pretty good as well. Have had it on a few times recently.

Dannyhood91

I've been to four gigs I'd consider perfect and one of those was Toots & The Maytals. Very sad indeed to hear he's gone.

Brundle-Fly

So glad I finally got to see him perform a couple of years ago. Big part of my teenage years his music. R.I.P. Toots

Dannyhood91

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 12, 2020, 12:57:06 PM
So glad I finally got to see him perform a couple of years ago. Big part of my teenage years his music. R.I.P. Toots

I'm never normally blown away by vocal performances much these days but his voice live was something else.

SpiderChrist

Had a ticket for the (twice-postponed) Toots show in Cambridge. Another artist responsible for my love of reggae. RIP

kalowski

He was just marvelous. I had to endure handfuls of wankers with theirs copies of Legend and their poster of Marley with his spliff when I was at university. None of them had heard of Toots.
Criminally under known.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: kalowski on September 12, 2020, 05:52:13 PM
He was just marvelous. I had to endure handfuls of wankers with theirs copies of Legend and their poster of Marley with his spliff when I was at university. None of them had heard of Toots.
Criminally under known.

I know that feeling. Most of them didn't even know of Jimmy Cliff.

JaDanketies

Real sorry to learn of Toot's passing. Biggest coronavirus loss for me so far tbh and it's affected people two steps removed from me. I'm lucky to have seen them live.

16 years ago I got into them after realising the song Pressure Drop on GTA SA was a jam

spaghetamine

RIP, saw him at Boomtown a few years ago and he put on one hell of a show

non capisco

Quote from: spaghetamine on September 12, 2020, 06:42:10 PM
RIP, saw him at Boomtown a few years ago and he put on one hell of a show

Was just watching a video of him performing '54-46 Was My Number' at that Boomtown. My word, he had that incredible voice right to the end, didn't he? That perfect honeyed holler. One of my all time favourite singers. I saw him and The Maytals playing at Shepherd's Bush Empire in 2004 and it was one of the most fun shows I've ever been to, opening with 'Time Tough' and then an endless assault of bangers from then on. The whole place going completely nuts to 'Monkey Man'. Joyous. RIP Toots, you were wonderful.

kalowski

I remember getting genuinely excited when I discovered there were three songs: 54-46 Was My number, 54-45 That's My Number, 54-46 Is my Number.

non capisco