Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:13:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Feminism in comedy

Started by The Mollusk, September 12, 2020, 03:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thursday

I mean if you've only seen a handful of female comedians and they've not made you laugh, that's one thing. (Although there might be a lot to unpack with the why's of that) But to say "it's fine, just an opinion" for someone to generalise and write off an entire gender from being capable at is a seriously terrible thing to say.

I vaguely recall similar problematic opinions in MSF's posting history, so yeah this is pretty in-character for him.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: phantom_power on September 25, 2020, 10:39:13 AM
Would you feel the same about someone claiming to not find men funny?
Sure. People can't help what they laugh at.

Retinend

Yeah but the point is that you would think they were weird / had an agenda.

phantom_power

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 25, 2020, 06:22:25 PM

But isn't it a bit odd to find a whole 50% of the population unfunny? That they are so homogeneous that this would be the case? When the other 50% are apparently varied enough to take them on their own merits?

MortSahlFan

Quote from: phantom_power on September 25, 2020, 07:50:09 PM
But isn't it a bit odd to find a whole 50% of the population unfunny? That they are so homogeneous that this would be the case? When the other 50% are apparently varied enough to take them on their own merits?
Most stand-up seem to be men. I don't like most comedians in general, and believe me, I've been searching for 20 years. Automatic recordings on "Comedy Central Presents", HBO, Showtime, going to see live stand-up (local), even going to the Melbourne Comedy Festival (believe it or not, the best one was an 18-your old amateur).

Then again, Mort Sahl is my favorite, and I don't think I've ever witnessed a fan here, but I won't make disparaging comments. I don't even think Bill Hicks is well regarded here.. There are about ten comedians I like. Lately, I get more humor from YouTube comments.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 25, 2020, 06:22:25 PM

Sort of like people can't help who they are attracted to?
Do you think there are any closet fans of women comedians?

phantom_power

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 25, 2020, 10:57:26 PM
Most stand-up seem to be men. I don't like most comedians in general, and believe me, I've been searching for 20 years. Automatic recordings on "Comedy Central Presents", HBO, Showtime, going to see live stand-up (local), even going to the Melbourne Comedy Festival (believe it or not, the best one was an 18-your old amateur).

Then again, Mort Sahl is my favorite, and I don't think I've ever witnessed a fan here, but I won't make disparaging comments. I don't even think Bill Hicks is well regarded here.. There are about ten comedians I like. Lately, I get more humor from YouTube comments.

So would you say "men aren't funny"? It seems more like you think people aren't funny so in that case why single out women? You seem to be missing the point I am making. Why are women so homogeneous that you can make a blanket statement about how funny they are when that wouldn't be the case with men?

chveik

Quote from: Retinend on September 25, 2020, 01:14:10 PM
I'm a dumbass - I was searching for "woman" not "women": all the episodes are archived here https://www.adultswim.com/videos/the-perfect-women

I can't see all the episodes. do you have to live in the US for that?

Retinend

I can't see all the episodes either.  In fact, it's a really weird selection. Setting VPN to the USA does nothing to expand it.

McChesney Duntz

I'm probably throwing gasoline on the fire here, but let's just say it's interesting that - well, you can figure it out:

https://www.splicetoday.com/politics-and-media/that-time-a-critic-destroyed-a-satirist-on-tv

And here's the whole video if you dare/care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOinAWO5Jvc

(John Simon was a pretty awful person, too, with no small amount of misogyny in his back pages, so to wind up on his side on anything is most disconcerting.)

tribalfusion

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on September 26, 2020, 03:38:02 PM
I'm probably throwing gasoline on the fire here, but let's just say it's interesting that - well, you can figure it out:

https://www.splicetoday.com/politics-and-media/that-time-a-critic-destroyed-a-satirist-on-tv

And here's the whole video if you dare/care:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOinAWO5Jvc

(John Simon was a pretty awful person, too, with no small amount of misogyny in his back pages, so to wind up on his side on anything is most disconcerting.)

Its noteworthy that even a reactionary like Simon looks like an enlightened statesman next to Sahl.

Simon is also considerably more witty than Sahl who hasn't gone far beyond Archie Bunker.

Menu

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 24, 2020, 05:21:03 PM
If people don't think women are funny, so be it... No right to an opinion? Laughter is an involuntarily action. I doubt anyone is going to deprive themselves of pleasure.

Oooh I didn't predict the MortSahlFan heel turn. Great booking!

Sin Agog

Quote from: Menu on September 26, 2020, 08:47:00 PM
Oooh I didn't predict the MortSahlFan heel turn. Great booking!

They're just rehashing old storylines from years ago:  https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72569.msg3795826.html#msg3795826

I said it in the thread, but imagine interacting with your innocent younger female family members and thinking to yourself, 'The second you're too old to dine out on childish non sequiturs, you will no longer be capable of saying anything funny because of the breasts and the uterus and the woman brain.' It's a genuinely upsetting thought.

Menu

Quote from: Sin Agog on September 26, 2020, 10:32:44 PM
They're just rehashing old storylines from years ago:  https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,72569.msg3795826.html#msg3795826

I said it in the thread, but imagine interacting with your innocent younger female family members and thinking to yourself, 'The second you're too old to dine out on childish non sequiturs, you will no longer be capable of saying anything funny because of the breasts and the uterus and the woman brain.' It's a genuinely upsetting thought.

Whoa!

chveik

what happened to Monsieur Verdoux?

Sin Agog

chveik

Quote from: Retinend on September 26, 2020, 02:51:56 PM
I can't see all the episodes either.  In fact, it's a really weird selection. Setting VPN to the USA does nothing to expand it.

shame. adult swim's website is garbage

Steve Albini's interview is lovely btw

druss

Quote from: bgmnts on September 25, 2020, 12:26:03 PM
If people don't think black people are clever, so be it... No right to an opinion?
Fucking hell, missed the previous post to this at first. Strange thread to bring that sort of thing up, I thought.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 25, 2020, 10:57:26 PM
I don't like most comedians in general, and believe me, I've been searching for 20 years... There are about ten comedians I like. Lately, I get more humor from YouTube comments.

Then may I suggest that maybe comedy isn't for you?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Thursday on September 25, 2020, 05:51:24 PM
I mean if you've only seen a handful of female comedians and they've not made you laugh, that's one thing. (Although there might be a lot to unpack with the why's of that).

I can see why someone whose only experience of comedy is passively watching things like Mock the Week and Live at the Apollo might well end up in this situation, they're getting better but for a while it was the same few women (with imo far funnier ones being tucked away at smaller shows and on radio).

Jake Thingray

Quote from: Thursday on September 25, 2020, 05:51:24 PM
I vaguely recall similar problematic opinions in MSF's posting history, so yeah this is pretty in-character for him.

According to the "Most Wild Rock Stars?" thread, he also posts on the Steve Hoffman Forums, which play host to the type of obsessive Benny Hill fans who complain that the horrible Hill doesn't have the same reputation as the Pythons.

MortSahlFan

Quote from: Jake Thingray on September 27, 2020, 08:29:57 PM
According to the "Most Wild Rock Stars?" thread, he also posts on the Steve Hoffman Forums, which play host to the type of obsessive Benny Hill fans who complain that the horrible Hill doesn't have the same reputation as the Pythons.

lol @ the gestapo thought police

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 27, 2020, 10:49:16 PM
lol @ the shitty old sexist who can't defend his position, who you named yourself after

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Quote from: MortSahlFan on September 27, 2020, 10:49:16 PM

You are, quite abundantly, a very stupid, awful person. We've indulged you for a bit, but can you please fuck off now?

Retinend

Just explain what you really mean, MortSahlFan. It can't be as bad as people are presuming.

Autopsy Turvey

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 28, 2020, 08:41:15 AM
You are, quite abundantly, a very stupid, awful person. We've indulged you for a bit, but can you please fuck off now?

He's not so stupid and awful that he's ever said anything like this though.

phantom_power

Yeah, who is the real stupid and awful person? Makes you think

chveik

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on September 28, 2020, 08:41:15 AM

man I will really miss his list threads

Quote from: Autopsy Turvey on September 28, 2020, 11:35:54 AM
He's not so stupid and awful that he's ever said anything like this though.

Yes he has. Your turn.

Och, just fuck this. It's ruining a potentially interesting thread. I'm so sorry.

Idiot men bickering in a thread about feminism. Christ almighty.