Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:29:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Dwarf rewatch

Started by Lemming, September 12, 2020, 07:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrGreggles

Quote from: frajer on February 19, 2021, 05:12:19 PM
The stage show keeps getting mooted, but is there any way it wouldn't be awful? Mugging cast, OTT crowd reactions, just no.

I can only envisage the last couple of Bottom live shows.

St_Eddie

Quote from: purlieu on February 19, 2021, 04:53:00 PM
Rob's done an interview for reddwarf.co.uk today, about his Holly Hop script, and his future role in the show. A couple of interesting quotes:
"It was an exhilarating experience - like slipping on an old pair of the most comfortable shoes you ever had, and wondering why you haven't been wearing them all the time."

"There are lots of ideas on the table - a stage show, a movie, a new series, spin-offs. Last week we were told of an approach to do an American version again. We'd love to do any and all of them. We want RD flying out of our buttskis. We want to take the diminutive scarlet one on another trip to the stars. Watch this space."

This is all very odd.  I bet Doug is fuming.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 19, 2021, 05:12:54 PM
That's for the Dave stuff, I assume.
Rob is obviously looking away from that.

It's just that Rob mentions a new series in that interview as something on the table, so would he be co-writing with Doug? Can't see him doing a series for another channel with another cast while the Dave version is still being made.

BritishHobo

Does this imply the reason for the recent split then is that Grant and others have gained a fresh interest in the possibility of turning the show into a major franchise?

willbo

Quote from: St_Eddie on February 19, 2021, 05:16:15 PM
This is all very odd.  I bet Doug is fuming.

doug - "whatever happens, he's a wonderful man, and I'm sure he'll be a wonderful showrunner"

*sees interview*

"what an absolute slag!"

Mobbd

When it looked like Rob was back on the scene and that he might even have nudged Doug out, I was elated. Justice for Red Dwarf at last! But I'm starting to have sinking feelings about all of this.

The more I think about the Gloop concept, the more troubling I find it. It is tonally like something from Rob's Quanderhorn radio show. Almost Flubber-esque zany science. Not for me, thanks. Quanderhorn was too "don't press that button! what button? aaaarrgh!" for my liking. I didn't think any less of Rob for it; it was just a different show and that was fine. But it might be a glimpse into his RD.

He explains the gender swap thing in the interview (https://www.reddwarf.co.uk/news/2021/02/19/into-the-gloop-and-beyond/) too. But why not just let the fan cast read the script as if it had been written for the real cast? Why work the casting into the script? It's a weird creative decision.

QuoteQ: What was it like working with a cast of fans?
A: Terrifying! For all of us, I think. It could have all gone so hideously wrong.

Why? On account of there being absolutely nothing at stake?

The cover page of that script has a bit of fake legalese at the bottom: "The sending of this script does not constitute an offer of a part therein." Shouldn't that be "Receipt of this script"? It just made me wonder if Rob's actually a bit of a thicko.

Sigh. Anyone got any other feelings? Make me feel better about it please.

Mobbd

I just read the script again. It's not that bad. You can see some classic Rob in there, the voice of Primordial Soup shining through.

There is still hope!

Maybe!

g0m

An online comic book club I'm in recently started doing weekly episode watches of a tv show. I thought it'd be a good idea to add a red dwarf episode - i think interesting speculative fiction conceits work well for the book club format, i like sitcoms, most of the other people in the group are american and they've never seen red dwarf, all in all a good fit.

Does anyone have a good episode recommendation for this specific thing? I've tentatively gone with the inquisitor, but I worry it'd have the same issue as going with legion or back to reality - they don't work as well if you don't know the characters

JamesTC

I've always felt Demons & Angels was a good first episode. It doesn't rely on understanding the characters as the evil and good versions are very broad. Plus the plot is very Star Trek TOS in its simplicity.

g0m

oh, good call on that one. i didn't consider demons & angels because always skip that one on rewatches - not sure why, something about it just ticks me off in a way i can't put my finger on

purlieu

It's fairly shallow in terms of its character studies compared to most Dwarf, especially in terms of the Highs who are just generic.
Thanks for the Memory might be a good one, it's a great standalone story with a nice mystery.

Replies From View

Quote from: purlieu on February 19, 2021, 04:53:00 PM
"There are lots of ideas on the table - a stage show, a movie, a new series, spin-offs. Last week we were told of an approach to do an American version again. We'd love to do any and all of them. We want RD flying out of our buttskis. We want to take the diminutive scarlet one on another trip to the stars. Watch this space."

"Buttski" count:  2

Replies From View

Quote from: Mobbd on February 19, 2021, 05:44:30 PM
Quanderhorn was too "don't press that button! what button? aaaarrgh!" for my liking.

Did he ever reveal which button it was?  Sounds infuriating.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mobbd on February 19, 2021, 05:44:30 PM
The cover page of that script has a bit of fake legalese at the bottom: "The sending of this script does not constitute an offer of a part therein." Shouldn't that be "Receipt of this script"? It just made me wonder if Rob's actually a bit of a thicko.

One grey tick:  sent but not yet delivered
Two grey ticks:  delivered but not yet read
Two blue ticks, unless the wanker has turned this feature off:  read

Replies From View

Here's a joke like Doug Naylor would make, ahem:

Rimmer (entering all huffy):  Kryten did you leave this lying around?  What on earth is it.  Looks like a joke page from jokes are us joke shop joke page section

(audience:  laughs)

Kryten:  yes i did sir did you look at it

Rimmer (reading):  what is blue and also red

Kryten:  and now turn the page upside down sir

Rimmer (turning it upside down):  answer:  a whatsapp message????

Lister (entering):  oh I remember whatsapp from the history channels, wasn't it a messenging service

Kryten:  that's right sir and I believe they got their "tick" colours very wildly confused!  (he points at Cat who has been sitting off-camera this whole time, pulling ticks off himself)

Cat:  owww!!!

(audience:  prolonged laughter which allows an abrupt shift in tone)

Kryten:  alert, sirs!!  meteor shower up ahead!!!!

BeardFaceMan

Replies From View

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on February 19, 2021, 08:40:43 PM
Needs more GELFs.

It's the first scene of the episode.  Kryten's meteor shower alert will doubtless lead to the discovery of GELFs around the seven minute mark.

Replies From View

Scene Two:  cockpit of Starbug

rimmer:  swirly thing alert gentlemen

kryten:  mr rimmer sir, that is cat's bubble bath swirling around near your monitor

cat:  can't have me not being all fresh from a bath

lister:  i thought cats notoriously hate baths

cat:  what's with you monkeys eat off the floor?  i want me crunchies man mmmmmhmmmm!!!

lister:  alright cat what happened with all the other cats have they dead are they left yet

(model shot:  starbug lurches left)

everyone:  whurrrrrr

rimmer:  is everything quite all right

(model shot:  starbug lurches right)

kryten:  of course!  starbug has become possessed by a telepathic directionality gene or TDG for short!

lister:  say it using english words, krites

cat:  cheap denim cut-outs??????

kryten:  a telepathic directionality gene!!  every vaguely direction-based phrase we speak using words will be received by starbug as a command going forward

(model shot:  starbug continues going forward)

lister:  so what you're saying krites is that with every cluster of space debris we encounter, we should drive through them with a maddening level of disregard at enormous danger to our own lives?

(model shot:  starbug does it)

(audience:  laughs, and keeps laughing during model shot of Starbug striking a cluster of space debris, going into flames and hurtling downwards)

(model shot:  starbug crash landing on planet)

Replies From View

Scene Three (seven minutes in)

Gelf:  hwa ho ho wahakhaha

Rimmer:  oh no

Lister:  it's me wife

Kryten:  the one you abandoned at the altar sir

Lister:  red hot indian curry, guy, playin pool with planets.  never thought an edible pot noodle

Kryten:  sir?

Lister:  me wife, krites.  never thought an edible pot noodle.  smeg

(model shot:  Lister, Rimmer, Kryten and Cat are now tied up and being dragged along on a giant sledge by Lister's wife gelf)

(model shot:  they all arrive at the gelf village)

interior of gelf hut

it has all engine parts on the wall and on the floor.  a big rectangle section of the wall has a sign with 'starbug parts' written on it, and below it a sign that says 'pieces to replace when your starbug accidentally has directionality telepathic circuitry (DTC) installed'

kryten notices it and gestures to rimmer who sees it too.  lister and cat haven't seen it yet.

now they have.

they've all seen it, good

cat:  sidelong poncho flares????

gelf:  ahahahahahahfiodhofiahsoifhwoeinvfswnv

kryten:  let me do this sirs for i speak this language fluently.  haufwirbirbjvvjnkdjckjdUIEWfpijKDKKD

GELF: DOIHSJVNSJDVNNVJVFNVNkjkvkvkvkkkkk

kryten:  ahfihifvnisfnvinfkvnlsdfknvlafnvodfvondf

gelf gives all the parts to kryten and then they all walk off

THE END OF THE EPISODE

Avril Lavigne

Quote from: Replies From View on February 19, 2021, 09:57:22 PM
lister:  alright cat what happened with all the other cats have they dead are they left yet

(model shot:  starbug lurches left)

rimmer:  is everything quite all right

(model shot:  starbug lurches right)

This is my favourite Red Dwarf scene, maybe ever.

Replies From View

Towards the end I was parodying not giving a shit anymore and just wanting to end it

convincing, right?

idunnosomename

willbo

I once wrote a horrible edgy satire fanfic about Lister and Rimmer arguing about his habit of taking advantage of half-conscious women (before the accident). It ended with the line "if it's good enough for the armies of Genghis Kahn and Alexander the Great, then by jove it's good enough for me matey"

willbo

Quote from: g0m on February 19, 2021, 07:29:57 PM
An online comic book club I'm in recently started doing weekly episode watches of a tv show. I thought it'd be a good idea to add a red dwarf episode - i think interesting speculative fiction conceits work well for the book club format, i like sitcoms, most of the other people in the group are american and they've never seen red dwarf, all in all a good fit.

Does anyone have a good episode recommendation for this specific thing? I've tentatively gone with the inquisitor, but I worry it'd have the same issue as going with legion or back to reality - they don't work as well if you don't know the characters

I've always thought of Polymorph as the ultimate introductory episode myself

Replies From View

Quote from: willbo on February 20, 2021, 08:36:14 AM
I've always thought of Polymorph as the ultimate introductory episode myself

That's an interesting choice.  I'd have thought people would appreciate knowing the characters more before seeing them in their altered state.

My first experience of Red Dwarf as a child was random episodes from series 4 - I recall Camille and Justice particularly, and both of those presume an understanding of the premise and characters.  I suppose that, unless it's a series 1-2 episode that explains the premise in its opening minutes, any episode is as good as any other as an introduction.

willbo

Quote from: Replies From View on February 20, 2021, 08:58:52 AM
That's an interesting choice.  I'd have thought people would appreciate knowing the characters more before seeing them in their altered state.

My first experience of Red Dwarf as a child was random episodes from series 4 - I recall Camille and Justice particularly, and both of those presume an understanding of the premise and characters.  I suppose that, unless it's a series 1-2 episode that explains the premise in its opening minutes, any episode is as good as any other as an introduction.

I suppose I think of it as an easy introduction to the tone of the show, rather than the characters. Because it has a rather traditional sci fi monster plot but lots of RD humour. So it's a nice transition easing into RD from normal sci fi.

Replies From View

Mind you I wonder whether anyone would particularly need 'easing into it'.  As long as newcomers aren't explicably starting out at series 8 I imagine it'd be quite straightforward to grasp.

The factor that I imagine might put some people off nowadays is the fact that it's 4:3 and low-res, rather than a sci-fi comedy.  At the end of the winter term I tried playing The Wrong Trousers to a group of year 6 kids (I work in a school, before you ask), and their reaction was "YUCK!  OLD!!"

Mobbd

Quote from: g0m on February 19, 2021, 07:29:57 PM

Future Echoes.

Demons and Angels is probably the worst choice imaginable. It is entirely dependent on understanding the central characters, the high and low versions being deviations of them. It is alter-ego comedy grounded in your knowledge of the characters.