Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:14:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What happened to Tom and Jerry?

Started by Virgo76, September 12, 2020, 08:41:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgo76

Do they still exist?
Is it the same?
Was it a bit racist?
I have fond memories of it. But so long since I saw it.

BlodwynPig

dunno but an ITV advert for kids tv had Tom & Jerry featured alongside Scooby Doo and some newer shows.

Shit Good Nose

The newer (60s/70s and on) reboots are all still shown on the Freeview kids channels and I think the "classic" ones are on Cartoon Network (at least they were as recently as a couple of years ago), but all scenes of smoking were edited out and I think they purposely avoided the episodes with Mammy Two Shoes.

Oh, and the UK dvds are edited too.

Brundle-Fly

Sadly, Tom Good and Jerry Leadbetter passed away respectively in 2013 and 1995.

H-O-W-L

Tom was assassinated when bolshevists overturned his carriage and fired into it on the Dunkelstadt highway in 1987, and Jerry was caught up in a Bolivian drug deal gone wrong; he fled the scene in a Cessna but he was taken down by DEA-sponsored F-15s over the Pacific. He's still legally presumed missing, but most flight experts believe it's impossible for him to have survived the initial Sidewinder impact, let alone the resultant crash.

touchingcloth

AIDS and auto-erotic asphyxiation. You'll have to google to find out which is which.

Shit Good Nose

Apologies - I clearly got the wrong Tom and Jerry.  As you were.

JamesTC

Virgo76

Smoking?
Apparently everyone in the US assumes the woman is a maid or works in the house in some capacity.
People in the UK tend to assume she just lives in or owns the house.

SavageHedgehog

She definitely was the maid at first but at some point it seems she graduated to the owner. A beautiful example of the American dream.

Cold Meat Platter

There was a film where they spoke and everyone agreed that it was awful and shouldn't be mentioned again.

touchingcloth

I heard she was nothing from the waist up, like Action Man's crotch for a torso.

Icehaven

Surely coming soon to a Halifax advert.

touchingcloth

I've just realised I don't know which one is Tom and which one is Jerry. I assume Tom is the cat like a tomcat, but Jerry is a shite name for either animal really.

Shit Good Nose

Icehaven

touchingcloth

Shit Good Nose

Cold Meat Platter

jobotic

touchingcloth

I just call them Cat Fuck and Cunt Mouse. If I was a cartoon I would end them.

Cloud

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Virgo76 on September 12, 2020, 10:09:39 PM
People in the UK tend to assume she just lives in or owns the house.

Yes that's what I assumed when I was a kid, until I was older and was told otherwise.

Was she ever dubbed with a different voice?  Someone once told me she was but I'm not sure if it was a myth as I never saw any evidence.

Remember when you went to the cinema and every film had a supporting feature?  One film I saw had a supporting feature called "Jerry and the goldfish" and on the way there we speculated on what this was going to be about, only to discover it was a Tom & Jerry which we'd never considered as the supporting feature was usually longer.  That half-hearted attempt was probably one of the last supporting features I saw before they were phased out.

SavageHedgehog

Quote from: JesusAndYourBush on September 13, 2020, 01:19:38 AM
Was she ever dubbed with a different voice?  Someone once told me she was but I'm not sure if it was a myth as I never saw any evidence.

Yes, in fact I stumbled upon a version of the clip I posted earlier with the Dubbed voice when trying to find it. I grew up with these dubs on Cartoon Network, knew that the character had been dubbed at some point but didn't realise I was watching the dubbed versions until I saw some on VHS.

Before the dubs, in the 60s there were some cartoons which kept the voice but redrew her as a young white woman

(Actually I've read that they recorded a dub to go with these redesigns where she had an Irish accent, but that wasn't the case the one time I saw one of these)

Whether or not redrawing her as a white woman, or dubbing over one of the few performances in Golden Age American Animation by an African American performer with a "more acceptable" voice holds up as a successful effort in making these cartoons less racist is debatable.

Attila

Quote from: Virgo76 on September 12, 2020, 08:41:30 PM
Do they still exist?

Well, eventually they went on to make five albums in the 1960s under a different name, but it was a pretty rocky relationship, big split in the early 70s, brief reunion in the early 1980s following that big concert in Central Park and that.