Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 10:33:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Phil Cornwell

Started by Rizla, September 12, 2020, 11:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rizla

Doing a bit of a Stella Street binge, alone and semi pissed in an air b'n'b in Bratislava and feeling all dissociated and odd and avoiding getting down to some writing which is what I'm here for. Anyway it's my favourite comedy ever. I particularly love Phil, and I sort of worry about him sometimes, I guess I assume he's actually Dave Clifton. He does seem a bit unhinged at times.

Despite having close to zero interest in English football, I love this set of his - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u3hfFPdkzE it's superb.

Anyone remember the early comic relief when he did an impression-off with Phil Cool (I think, unless it was Coogan), where they were both doing Mick Jagger at each other and stuff?

"White Suited And Booted" is in my top 10 Bowie songs.

DO YOU LOVE PHIL TOO WHAT IS YOUR FAVE PHIL THING?

Shit Good Nose

non capisco

Jack Nicholson on Stella Street drawling "I can't believe he tipped maaaaaaange touuuuut all over her."

Rizla

Quote from: non capisco on September 12, 2020, 11:47:58 PM
Jack Nicholson on Stella Street drawling "I can't believe he tipped maaaaaaange touuuuut all over her."
I love SS Jack so much. "I'm going off to Thames Ditton to get myself a piece of ass - so long pal!"

non capisco

Quote from: Rizla on September 12, 2020, 11:51:49 PM
I love SS Jack so much. "I'm going off to Thames Ditton to get myself a piece of ass - so long pal!"

"I'm gonna have me a nice bowl of Shreddies."

Bad Ambassador

"That's not a rockery. That's a fuckery."

Shit Good Nose

Here, Keith, have you seen the price of these marshmallows!

Shit Good Nose

Glam Metal Detectives also deserves a mention.

non capisco

Bowie: "Hello, Michael, do you like my new foundation? Makes me look a bit butteryyyyy".

Buxton's Bowie is more accurate but I still love Cornwell's interpretation. "Wow, Mum! These cheese sticks taste cheeeseyyy!"

Rizla

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 12, 2020, 11:59:58 PM
Glam Metal Detectives also deserves a mention.
Odd program that totally passed me by at the time. Watched it a few years ago - it seems odd that it was a primetime thing, feels like it would have gone better in a Simpsons time slot.

Brundle-Fly

1995 BBC2 Thursday night at 9pm?  Prime time? I think not.

Mr Banlon

He used to take his son to the same football training in Clissold Park as I took my godsons. I've spent quite a few Saturdays sat on a park bench next to him watching the training. Never let on that I knew who he was. Just chatted about football. He fucking loves football.
Would of loved to have asked him loads of stuff, but he was doing his dad thing.

Rizla

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 13, 2020, 12:10:50 AM
1995 BBC2 Thursday night at 9pm?  Prime time? I think not.
Isn't that the classic comedy slot though? It's so long since I watched actual telly...

Underrated SS character - David Essex "Silk Sheets? What goes on in here I wonder?"

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Rizla on September 13, 2020, 12:15:26 AM
Isn't that the classic comedy slot though? It's so long since I watched actual telly...

It's whatever time and night BBC2 have decided upon.  It's probably been every night of the week over the years, and definitely both 8pm and 9pm.

non capisco

I watched the first episode of Glam Metal Detectives today via this week's TV Cream mailout (middle section about The Comic Strip/Peter Richardson) and it is fucking dire.

Twonty Gostelow

Cornwell did a brilliant Barry Davies but I can't find any record of it. I don't think any other impressionist did him.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on September 13, 2020, 12:25:13 AM
Cornwell did a brilliant Barry Davies but I can't find any record of it. I don't think any other impressionist did him.
I hope you're not thinking of the staring contest sketches from Big Train, because that actually was Barry Davies alongside Cornwell.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: The Culture Bunker on September 13, 2020, 12:37:18 AM
I hope you're not thinking of the staring contest sketches from Big Train, because that actually was Barry Davies alongside Cornwell.

Yeah, I know. Cornwell did Davies in his stand-up.

EDIT: In this Google extract from Davies's autobiography he mentions Big Train and Cornwell - "... he also does what he describes as an over-the-top impression of me". Maybe he did it on Dead Ringers - what I saw was a TV show.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Rizla on September 13, 2020, 12:15:26 AM

Depends on how you define 'primetime'

Menu

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on September 13, 2020, 12:50:15 AM
Depends on how you define 'primetime'

I think prime time is generally thought to be about 7.30pm to 10.30pm, give or take. So 9pm is pretty much slap bang in the middle of it.

Bently Sheds

I have a soft spot for Phil mainly due to his work on Gilbert's Fridge. Sheer psychedelic, lunatic brilliance.

How Far to Hitchin?

kalowski

His Bowie song, "Where's my sausages" is an all time favourite.

Brundle-Fly

Quote from: Menu on September 13, 2020, 03:43:46 AM
I think prime time is generally thought to be about 7.30pm to 10.30pm, give or take. So 9pm is pretty much slap bang in the middle of it.

On BBC2 though?

Dusty Substance

By all accounts a thoroughly nice bloke, too. And he is totally the very definition of a bloke. Pretty sure Armando et al say on the commentaries for IAP1 that Phil Cornwell is a good guy.

He's also one of those impressionists/impersonators (I can never remember which one is right) who may not be the best in the world, but when people do impressions of celebrities, they're not doing the celeb, they're doing Phil Cornwell doing the celeb.

Rizla

And we haven't even mentioned the criminally underrated world of pub. Pretty much my comedy dream team in that.

Brundle-Fly

He's also a damn good actor. Funny to think he was a semi-regular on The Bill in its final days.

Cold Meat Platter

Virgo76

Quote from: Rizla on September 13, 2020, 02:18:39 PM
And we haven't even mentioned the criminally underrated world of pub. Pretty much my comedy dream team in that.

Great cast. Awful show though surely?

Andy147

It's on Radio 4 Extra tonight (10:45), fwiw.

petril

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on September 13, 2020, 12:18:34 AM
It's whatever time and night BBC2 have decided upon.  It's probably been every night of the week over the years, and definitely both 8pm and 9pm.

for an 80s and 90s kid like me, Thursday and Friday were *the* nights for yer comedy. Thursday the big hitters, Friday the more niche or avant garde ideas, peppered with repeats.

Sunday was reserved as a conservation habitat for both Hale AND Pace, until their move to the Summer Midweek Safari Park prior to their release back into the wild